Terminology: "Vetus Ordo"
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Commonly Used Abbreviations on the Forum.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    How about VO (Vetus Ordo) instead of EF? (I'm becoming increasingly partial to the use of "Vetus Ordo". Cardinal Ranjith used it first if I recall.)

Actually, I like the term Usus Antiquior even more.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    FFP
  • chonakchonak
    HI, JulieColl; "EF" has official backing since Pope Benedict used the term in Summorum Pontificum.

@matthewj: not plumping for RTP (tm)?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I agree, however, the term "Vetus Ordo" was used in Pope Francis' papal decree to the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate:

"the use of the extraordinary form (Vetus Ordo) must be explicitly authorized by the competent authorities, for every religious and/or community that makes the request.”

I'm perfectly fine with whatever acronym is used. I just think it's interesting how these things evolve over time.
  • chonakchonak
    I really hope that term doesn't catch on. Even "Novus Ordo" is not a official term, in my opinion; it's not used in the published liturgical books or church documents. (It was used in a publicity announcement in the late '60s.) And now we have a controversial decree in a particular case, a decree which is already criticized for its canonical unclarity, and not coming from the knowledgeable CDW, taking "Novus Ordo" as a model to invent a new term for the liturgy.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Well, it's very interesting that you mention the CDW, because Cardinal Ranjith was the secretary of the CDW, and he was the first to use the term Vetus Ordo publicly, as far as I know. (Cf., this NLM article.)
  • chonakchonak
    Tsk, tsk. It's been floating around on the net since 2006, if not earlier, but only appears on 48,000 pages (says Google). "Novus Ordo" is more common, at 825,000. So in 2011 it crept into a personal letter by a cardinal, and in 2013 into a decree. Obviously I am being a bit of a "traditionalist" in language in wanting to avoid this neologism. I have to think that the decree wasn't reviewed thoroughly; there's no reason for the decree to say "Vetus Ordo" and not use the more standard terms "Missale Romanum 1962" or "Extraordinary Form".
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I should have said he was the first person in an official capacity to use the term, as far as I know.
  • BenBen
    Why not just EF and OF? That is so much simpler and clearer.
  • chonakchonak
    In his official capacity as Archbishop of Columbo? I look at it as a personal letter, even if there's a seal stamped on it.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Well, maybe you're correct, Chonak. This is a purely esoteric discussion anyway, since this is just a matter of personal opinion, but I like the term "Vetus Ordo" because I've never liked the term "Extraordinary Form" (even though I appreciate the fact the Pope Benedict was doing his best to clarify a very complex situation) because it seems to relegate the traditional Latin Mass to an extraneous status, or a "specialty Mass," as I've heard it described.

"Vetus Ordo," on the other hand, puts the traditional Latin Mass, on equal footing with the Novus Ordo--at least IMHO.

That's just my two cents---whatever acronym you decide upon is perfectly okay with me.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Why not just EF and OF? That is so much simpler and clearer.

That is, if you are an anglophone.
    Thanked by 1TheUbiquitous
  • BenBen
    Ok, FE and FO then.
    Thanked by 2chonak TheUbiquitous
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Just- can we please stop referring to Masses performed before the 1960s as "EF." Ridiculous.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    vetus, veteris: original, old, former (Dictionary of Ecclesiastical Latin, Leo Stelten)

I think the Holy Father is doing us a little-noticed favor by using a term which gives the older form of the Roman rite more parity with the new. So, if you think about it, Pope Francis has taken the good work of Pope Benedict and developed it because he has used a term which actually enhances the status of the Usus Antiquior.

I know this is purely subjective, but I ask you, which term do you think gives the traditional Latin Mass a higher status:

Extraordinary Form
    or
    Vetus Ordo Missae (i.e., the Original/Former Order of Mass)?

I don't mean to make a "thing" about this, I really don't, but, as someone who loves the old rite, I propose that the updated acronyms for both forms of the Roman Rite ought to be VOM and NOM. It's something to think about it, anyway. : )
  • chonakchonak
    First, Pope Francis didn't write the text or sign it; he approved it to give it legal force.

Pope Benedict's adoption of the "two forms" concept already sets the 1962 Missal and the current Missal on a par as equals.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Of course, I'm not disputing the fact that Pope Benedict set the two Missals on an equal basis, and the terminology he used was extremely helpful at the time---however, from a personal perspective and one which I know is shared by other traditional-minded Catholics---despite its legal definition, in English, the word "extraordinary" has unfortunate connotations.

Just look at these synonyms for extraordinary from the online Merriam-Webster dictionary, and you'll see what I mean:

aberrant, aberrated, abnormal, anomalous, atypical, especial, exceeding, freak, odd, peculiar, phenomenal, preternatural, rare, singular, uncommon, uncustomary, unique, unusual, unwonted

So, in light of that, I'm only too willing to use the new term Pope Francis approved. If he approved it, it's good enough for me.
  • I also prefer Vetus Ordo, though I do use EF too. I use VO in worship committee meetings when arguing for less EMsHC, since they are supposed to be "extraordinary". Then I avoid others saying the EF should also be "extraordinary". Not perfect.
  • CharlesW
    I think, in this instance, extraordinary simply means it isn't the ordinary form of mass. And it isn't. It isn't inferior or superior, only from an earlier edition of the Roman Missal. That is all there is to it. Why strain at gnats and look for things to bicker about?
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • GavinGavin
    EF? FE?

FE FI FO FUM?

Seriously though, "extraordinary form" and "ordinary form" are good enough for Pope Benedict.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW veromary
  • I agree Charles, I just had some really weird retorts and arguments from some...uhm...well-meaning parishioners, so I chose to avoid "extraordinary" and so far it's fine.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Sorry to make a fuss out of this in any way, but I'm retracting my position on the use of the term "Vetus Ordo." Recent events have caused the term to acquire, at least to my mind, an unfortunate and almost pejorative connotation, and I've come to realize that Chonak and Kathy were spot-on in their assessment.

Please disregard all my comments above as I'm only too happy to return to the original terminology.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    I've always liked the term often used in German-speaking sources for the 1962 Missal: they refer to it as the "classical Roman rite".
  • What about Usus Antiquior?
  • And then there is this one: The Tridentine Mass or even the Mass of Pius V.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • jpal
    Pope Francis uses the term Vetus Ordo. Incidentally, this is from the same interview in which he gave his thoughts on music:
    The Second Vatican Council
    “What did ​​the Second Vatican Council accomplish?” I ask.
    “Vatican II was a re-reading of the Gospel in light of contemporary culture,” says the pope. “Vatican II produced a renewal movement that simply comes from the same Gospel. Its fruits are enormous. Just recall the liturgy. The work of liturgical reform has been a service to the people as a re-reading of the Gospel from a concrete historical situation. Yes, there are hermeneutics of continuity and discontinuity, but one thing is clear: the dynamic of reading the Gospel, actualizing its message for today—which was typical of Vatican II—is absolutely irreversible. Then there are particular issues, like the liturgy according to the Vetus Ordo. I think the decision of Pope Benedict [his decision of July 7, 2007, to allow a wider use of the Tridentine Mass] was prudent and motivated by the desire to help people who have this sensitivity. What is worrying, though, is the risk of the ideologization of the Vetus Ordo, its exploitation.”
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I saw this yesterday, jpal, and found it, along with some of the other papal remarks, quite disconcerting. It's not easy to interpret how one might "ideologize" or "exploit" the Usus Antiquior, and I'm not going to attempt it, at least not publicly. However, the cryptic nature of the remark and other similar remarks does not disguise, at least to my mind, a degree of invective that is quite discomfiting to a traditional Catholic like myself.

One may have been tempted to ignore the earlier comments about "pelagianism" and "triumphalism" as random thoughts, but after reading yesterday's interview, it would seem that a pattern is emerging, and it almost seems as if a campaign against "the right wing" of the Catholic church is being waged.

I can only assume that our pope has had some negative experiences with some high-handed, stiff-necked "conservatives" and "right-wingers" (I can easily imagine such a scenario) and is attempting to trim their sails a bit and whip them into line, and I readily admit, having been around "conservatives" and "right-wingers" all my life, that there are some unfortunate common characteristics, but I'm not sure if a stream of disparaging, almost snide, public comments is the most constructive way to accomplish the goal and am afraid it could lead to alienation and disenfranchisement of faithful Catholics.

(Speaking for myself, I prefer the approach of the FSSP priests who regularly offer helpful, honest, kind sermons which address the lack of charity, pride, etc. which they observe in their congregations.)

It's just that, having received suspicious, unfriendly and vindictive treatment from local church authorities, I'm disheartened to realize that my Holy Father apparently shares their attitude. I realized a long time ago that, in the local clerical view at least, a traditional Catholic homeschooling mom is the lowest of the low in church circles, and I sometimes suspect that a drug-dealer and a streetwalker would receive far more kindness and welcome than I---and maybe that's how it should be, and it's no doubt necessary for my own sanctifation. It's just going to take a little adjustment since now it's coming from the Pope which is unprecedented, from what I know of the Popes of the last century.
    Thanked by 2KARU27 CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Yeah, JulieC. Pope Francis made a remark about "Restorationists" who offered X number of rosaries for him after he was elected. He said something along the lines of, why all this counting? Why didn't they just say they were praying for me? I think he does have some disdain for "Restorationists."

I hope I am wrong, but I think we are in for a few darker years ahead.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • If you think about it, "Traditional Latin Mass" isn't an official term either, but everyone knows what it means.

The term "Novus Ordo" is often used in the pejorative sense by those who attend the Extraordinary Form Liturgy. "Novus" literally means "new," but even in very old church writings in Latin has been used in a negative sense to mean "new-fangled."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There are some people who make the older form of the rite into a fetish or a platform for ideology.
    There are some people who make the newer form of the rite into a fetish or a platform for ideology.

It is generally easier to see this happening in the "other" version than the one you celebrate regularly or have a particular affinity for.

Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • As one who participates in both forms I can tell you the Mass of Paul VI can be very tough to plan liturgically. I am not sure of all the reasons for this but to me the big reason is that there are so many options available everybody is now an expert on what should or should not be a part of any given Mass. You have to have a strong music minister with the support of the pastor to avoid running yourself ragged trying please multiple critics. I know at the seminary the priest in charge of the liturgy has told the resident priests and others that they have to come through him instead of complaining directly to the Organist/choir director. You just can't please everybody, it's impossible.

The Mass of Pius V has it's own set of problems but at least it is set. Having prepared liturgies for both forms I just find the Vetus Ordo easier to negotiate.
  • If you think about it, "Traditional Latin Mass" isn't an official term either, but everyone knows what it means.

Bingo!
  • I avoid the expression "Novus Ordo" precisely because it is often attached to "Seclorum" (or saeculorum) and [this expression] is alleged to have Masonic connections.
    Thanked by 2chonak JulieColl
  • Adam- too true. Isn't that just human nature?

Ruth- I've had the same experience as you re: planning. The options of the OF can offer good flexibility. More often they can be dizzying, and end up reflecting the preferences of strong personalities rather than anything else.