Hymn-Tune Propers, Ad Lib. Eucharistic Antiphons
  • SalieriSalieri
    I started working on metrical settings of the 7 ad lib. Eucharistic antiphons last night. I'm not really a poet or writer, so please let me know what you think. Note that I much prefer 'archaic' language in hymn texts, and poetry of any kind; for some reason the pronoun 'You' grates on my ears when sung. I hope that these texts are better than those in Archbishop Parker's Psalter.

The tunes given are what I was singing to myself when I wrote them, obviously any tune in that meter may be used. Also, under the tune name a psalm tone is given if verses are wanted to be chanted.

GUSTATE ET VIDETE
    (Tune: OLD HUNDREDTH, [LM])
    (Psalm-tone mode VII)

O come, ye children of the Lord,
    Approach unto this heav’nly food;
    How blest is he who trusts in Him,
    O taste, and see that He is good.

QUI MANDUCAT CARNEM MEAM
    (Tune: WINCHESTER OLD, [CM])
    (Psalm-tone mode VI)

Thus saith the Lord, O he who eats
    My flesh and drinks my blood,
    Abideth ever more in Me,
    And I in him abode.

PANEM DE CAELO DEDISTI NOBIS
    (Tune: TALLIS’ CANON (THE EIGHTH TUNE), [LM])
    (Psalm-tone mode VII)

Lord, Thou hast given unto to men
    The bread come down from heaven’s height,
    Containing in its every taste
    All sweetness and each good delight.

MANDUCAVERUNT, ET SATURATI SUNT NIMIS
    (Tune: WINCHESTER NEW, [LM])
    (Psalm tone mode VIII)

They ate and all did have their fill,
    They ate and all were satisfied;
    The Lord gave them all they desired,
    Their every want was not deprived.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor Heath
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Ingenious idea, Salieri, and I think your examples are very successful combinations.

This endeavor reminds me so much of an article I was just reading this morning @ the practice of congregational singing at the Brompton Oratory, and the author (a Protestant) attributed the Oratorians' success to the fact that that the Fr. Faber hymns were set to "easily caught and tuney melodies" which is something like what you're doing:

There can be no question, in the second place, that the Oratory congregation sings heartily because of the easily caught and tuney melodies to which the hymns are set. The Roman Catholics are under no Genevan traditions as to the type in which a hymn-tune should be cast. They have no “syllabic” propriety; their notion seems to be that the best hymn-tune is that which common people take up most heartily. They adapt airs from all sources; national songs, instrumental movements, &c., and are careful to admit no tune without strongly marked character, and rhythm easily learnt and easily remembered. That their policy succeeds in setting everybody singing there can be no doubt.
  • hartleymartin
    I believe that there is an old psalter somewhere with all (or most) Psalms set to various hymn meters. Psalm 34 (O Taste and See) should be in there and might be something worth looking into.