Josquin to study
  • Continuing my interrupted survey of Sacred Polyphony to Study, what Josquin pieces would you recommend as having (1) general instructional value, (2) particular value for understanding Joquin, or (3) just plain being gorgeous?

Thanks.

Kenneth
  • Wow--when I asked about Palestrina and Victoria, I got a ton of answers. Must be a Josquin boycott in MusicaSaccra land.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think everyone is still weary from The Great Chant Cafe Josquin-Byrd Fiasco.
    Perhaps, in time, the wounds will heal....
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It's so true. I was going to mention Josquin's Ave Verum Corpus but that was the piece that started everything if I remember right. That is the only Josquin I know, thanks to Jeffrey Tucker's recommendation.

It's very simple, almost like a round, and my schola picked it up right away. It's available at CPDL in several keys, but I'm always partial to D major.

http://www.mipucpr.org/cantoral/wp-content/uploads/AveVeDesPre.pdf
    Thanked by 1Cailín Ceol Naofa
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You could do a lot worse than read the very well written Wikipedia article on Josquin.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here are but a few of CPDL's Josquin holdings, favorites of mine or works that I regard as significant and worthy of study.

Ave Maria ... Virgo Serena, a 4
    Ave Maria ... Virgo Serena, a 6, 2 more parts added to the above motet, presumably by Ludwig Daser.
    Ave verum corpus, a 5
    De profundis clamavi
    Illibata Dei Virgo nutris, a 5, text by Josquin himself, which forms a downward acrostic of his name IOSQVIN Des PREZ.
    Jubilate Deo omnis terra, possibly not by Josquin
    Miserere mei Deus, famous work
    Planxit autem David
    Praeter rerum seriem, a 6
    Salve Regina, a 5
  • Scott_WScott_W
    All of them.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen BruceL
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    All of them.

This, indeed!!
  • All of them would be my thought as well.
    All the Josquin works I know of would fit into the three categories mentioned in the OP.

Missa Pange lingua, anyone? One of my faves. The Ave Maria, Virgo serena is exquisite and thrilling all at once.

(Sorry, Adam. I'm not a campy person but I'm firmly in the Josquin as most fabuloso polyphonic composer camp.)

Josquin was a singer who how to craft complementary elegant, intense, coloristic, and rhythmically interesting vocal lines in respective ranges. Many singers in our time are not up to the challenge, which shows you what was expected of choir singers in his day. And the level of artistry that can come about when church singers are well trained.
  • I had only skimmed over the Great Josquin-Byrd Fiasco, and I suspect it was a fair amount of good-natured heat and perhaps not QUITE the lightI was looking for.

Yes, the Wikipedia entries on nearly any composer are very helpful.

And the answer to every single one of these questions I have posed on repertoire to study has always had a response from at least one (Byrd, Victoria, Palestrina whoever) partisan who has answered "All of them."

However, he seems to generate the most emphatic "all of them."

Which is funny, because the greatest composer of all time is Lassus.

And I even know how to pronounce Lassus, so don't default to the valid-enough Italian form. (For those who don't know, he studied in Italy and his first publications were there, but his name was Lassus and most of his publications used his French name, even though he was at a German court for most of his career. What would the German for "Lassus" be? Lassu" ?

So I will just pick some, I guess. Thank you, CHGiffen for getting me started.

Kenneth
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm not sure Lassus (or di Lasso) was the greatest, but he was one of the most prolific at producing excellent polyphony ... or a different period in the Renaissance, however. Josquin predated Palestrina, Victoria, Tallis, Byrd, and of course Lassus). In many ways, he blazed the trail for those who came afterwards in the Renaissance.
  • He is wonderful, no doubt. I posted some motets on facebook just because I had not put polyphony up, and people loved it.

"Greatest" of course has to be all in good fun-- too many to choose from, and if you are going to get down to brass tacks, you have to get around Bach somehow, and I am not sure that is possible. I was interested to learn that the way he modified melodies can be traced to chant, which he knew and quoted, but more amazed when I realized, while singing a Sammy Cahn/Jule Styne jazz standard, that the melody was really just Bach in a blues scale, the 16th notes converted to 1/4s and 1/8s.

Thanks for the list to get me started.

Kenneth
  • Cat_88
    His Ave Christe Immolatum is beautiful.
    And Tu Solus qui Facis Mirablia is pretty stunning.

Also, el grillo is pretty fun. But it is not sacred.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ... and if you are going to get down to brass tacks, you have to get around Bach somehow, and I am not sure that is possible.

Well, of course not ... we were talking Renaissance composers, not Baroque composers.
  • True enough, but others, not you, and I think including the famous ChantCafe wars, were using "of all time."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    True enough, but others, not you, and I think including the famous ChantCafe wars, were using "of all time."

Yes, of all time. Byrd (not Josquin or Lassus) was the BEST COMPOSER OF ALL TIME.

I'm not sure what the big deal with Bach is. I mean, he's alright is you like modern music and all. I admit, sometimes I like to listen to Bach in the car or while I'm cleaning the house or something. But, there's no way this new-fangled music will ever rise to the glory of the truly beautiful music that came before it.

As to the actual contenders, the ranking is as follows:
    1. Byrd
    2. Tallis & Josquin (tied)
    4. Lassus
    5. Victoria
    6. Palestrina
    7. The guy who wrote the "Always Coca-Cola" jingle in the late 1990's.
    8. Taverner

The above is completely factual and scientific. I don't believe in opinions.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Adam puhleeeze. Wow. Tallis is a 3rd or 4th rate composer, Victoria slightly better, Taverner possibly worse. Lassus a good second rate composer, as is Byrd. Palestrina is pretty darn good, like Chopin for moribund chorus, and Josquin is nearly first rate. Then above these at least JS Bach and Mozart.

CHGiffen, I have some comments/questions about your edition of Josquin "Ave Verum Corpus", will send soon ...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is outrage.
  • ronkrisman
    Why, of course, the best composer of all time is Stravinsky. He could and did compose music stylistically similar to (yet uniquely dissimilar from) all the greats who preceded him. Nothing second rate in his entire opera.
  • I do love Stravinsky.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I love Stravinsky, too, and enjoyed the chance to play flute and piccolo in a performance of his Symphony of Psalms, under the direction of Robert Shaw, many years ago.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You are all wrong. I have already explained it quite scientifically. I don't understand how such otherwise smart people can hold such ideas in the face of such overwhelming factual evidence.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I wonder, seriously. With all these assertions about greatness of composers (and let's stick to the Renaissance) being bandied about ... for just how many sacred choral works of the Renaissance have you:

1. Actually heard recordings?
    2. Actually heard live performances?
    3. Actually studied the scores in depth?
    4. Actually sung?
    5. Actually conducted?

Given the rather incomplete list below of 18 Renaissance composers (and 3 Baroque or Classical composers, for comparison) and the number of scores freely available at CPDL, which any of you could easily have studied or used in connection with the above questions, it seems a stretch to think that claims of best Renaissance composer ever can be well-founded.

The entire matter is extremely subjective, even amongst experts who have intimate familiarity with a major portion of the repertoire. What we are surely getting are biased or prejudiced pronouncements of various people's favorite few composers, most likely based on rather limited experience and acquaintance with the era.

In other words: Sonny, if you haven't been in the trenches for half as long as I have, don't try to tell me what's best and what isn't.

Availability of Sacred works at CPDL
    Orlando di Lasso 327 Sacred works
    Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina 286 Sacred works
    William Byrd 221 Sacred works
    Thomas Luis de Victoria 202 Sacred works
    Michael Praetorius 174 Sacred works
    (Johann Sebastian Bach) 160 Sacred works
    Hans Leo Hassler 104 Sacred works
    Cristobal de Morales 96 Sacred works
    Francisco Guerrero 94 Sacred works
    (Claudio Monteverdi) 92 Sacred works
    (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart) 66 Sacred works
    Jacob Handl 63 Sacred works
    Giovanni Gabrieli 62 Sacred works
    Thomas Tallis 62 Sacred works
    Andrea Gabrieli 61 Sacred works
    Josquin des Prez 53 Sacred works
    Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck 49 Sacred works
    Jacobus Clemens non Papa 34 Sacred works
    Peter Philips 30 Sacred works
    Melchior Vulpius 24 Sacred works
    JohnTaverner 11 Sacred works
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I cannot tell whether @CHGiffen is the victim of Poe's law, or if it is me.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • What did I start? Leave for a couple of days and look...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Adam, I recognized your humor. But I'm not sure others did.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • chonakchonak
    For the interest of you Stravinsky fans, here is a very recent re-interpretation of his 'Rite of Spring' (which I do not like at all), as a 12-minute presentation, performed just this month at a festival in Indianapolis. The video shows a rehearsal, so the ensemble from California is not in their concert attire. On the other hand, their very informal dress was thematically appropriate.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • It seems that every expert in th Renaissnce I have encountered has just ended up with one composer as his favorite and stuck with him. I ended up with Lassus after systematically sampling anyone I could hear motets for. About 80 percent of the obscure composer Jeff T. Put up on ChantCafe were ones I'd sent him. I actually loved Phinot and Compere about the best, but there is not a lot of their stuff. And L'Heritier, whom I know about because of Peter Latona's seemingly bottomless file drawer of obscure composers. Nietzsche and Popper both said that Bach had more legs than Beethoven, and that has proven correct, at least as compared to my youth, when Beethoven was the ideal artist in the popular imagination and now. Bach's influence is ubiquitous, but that implies most useful to learn from, or most skilled, but not necessarily the best. "Best," pace CHGiffen, is subjective.

Kenneth
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You know it's funny, actually- sometimes you have to admit that one thing is objectively better even though you like something else more. From my (limited, yes) experience, it seems to be that Josquin is (to the extent saying such a thing has any meaning) a better composer than Byrd. And, oh! Is his music beautiful.

But I have a personal affinity for English culture and English expressions of Catholicism in particular. And, due to the circumstances of my life, I have a particular connection to Byrd (and, similarly- though less so- to Tallis), so he is (and will be for some time) my favorite composer.

(Similarly, in the realm of Opera- I pretty much only like English. Call me a philistine, but I could go the rest of my life without hearing any Classical Italian opera.)

Of course, none of this deals with the (mathematically provable) fact that Bach and Mozart (oi!) pale in comparison to the amazing control and versatile agility of, if not the best composer ever, certainly the best composer of recent memory: The guy who wrote the Always Coca-Cola jingle.

"The stars will always shine, the birds will always sing,
    wherever there is thirst, there is always the real thing."

(In the Spirit of The Liturgical Reform, I've been considering adapting it into a song in praise of The True Presence.)
  • GavinGavin
    "You know it's funny, actually- sometimes you have to admit that one thing is objectively better even though you like something else more."

I have found this true, as well. My favorite composer is Widor, yet I believe that no one can deny that J. S. Bach is the GREATEST composer of all time.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    no one can deny that J. S. Bach is the GREATEST composer of all time.

I can deny it all day long, thank you very much.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You know it's funny, actually- sometimes you have to admit that one thing is objectively better even though you like something else more.

This. And indeed, thanks to an old Capital Records LP release of Anton Bruckner's 5th Symphony back in the early to mid 1950s, I fell in love with Bruckner's music, first the symphonies and eventually the choral and other works. I was an impressionable 9th grader then, but discovering Bruckner at that point shaped the course of my musical life from that point on. Was Bruckner the best composer (or symphonist) of all time? I don't know, but for me, at that point in time, he was.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Very true. As an eighth grader my English class was next door to the chorus room, and they had a guest musician play Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. We were allowed to listen, and it was love at first hearing, best music I had ever heard, though at that time there wasn't much competition for my ears -- Beach Boys, I guess, or Chuck Berry or the Statler Brothers, don't really remember what was currently popular. I thought everyone responded the same way and it took me years to realize that some people just don't respond to music.
  • Thank you for the link JulieColl. I'm going to consider this for the choir. Would it work still if I am not able to lasso a bass singer?
  • Reading these posts frequently provides me ideas of what to upload on the Choirparts youtube channel. I like Palestrina, Byrd, Victoria, etc (including Josquin des Prez), but I am continually drawn back to Mozart. For some reason, his sacred choral music and masses provide me great peace.
  • CGM
    My suggestions for Josquin are to start with the
    - Ave Maria virgo serena a4 (the a6 version was possibly by Senfl, but is certainly not by Josquin himself)
    - Memor esto a4 (a titanic masterpiece of contrasting writing for two voices at a time, and of passing motives around the different voice parts)
    - the Missa pange lingua a4

I think that these pieces fit into all three of the stated categories:
    (1) general instructional value
    (2) particular value for understanding Josquin
    (3) just plain being gorgeous

The Ave Maria, particularly, is a piece of his that is very often performed, and is perhaps the first experience of Josquin for many people.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The "Ave Maria ... Virgo serena a6" is actually the "a4" version with two added parts, now generally agreed to have been added by Ludwig Daser. The "Ave Maria ... benedicta tu a6" is an entirely different work, possibly by Senfl? Senfl himself composed a 6-part "Ave Maria ... Virgo serena" that is a "parody motet" on the Josquin "Ave Maria ... Virgo serena a4" and is quite different from the one with the Ludwig Daser added parts; moreover, I know of no one who ascribes the Senfl parody to Josquin.

"Memo esto a4" is indeed a masterpiece and well worth study (and performing).
  • Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • I've been away about since I posted this, because some business has been keeping me swamped, and here I find this old post at the top of the list. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all.

Kenneth