Mass VIII (Mass of the Angels) Gloria in Modern Notation, on One Page?
  • Hi all,

Does anybody have the Mass of the Angels' Gloria (Mass VIII) written out in modern notation on one page? I looking to add it as an insert to my brother's wedding. Timeliness is of the essence! Thank you very much!

In Christ,

Jacob
  • I have it, but only the melody -- and you really would have to pitch it lower than written. If you still need it on Saturday evening (i.e., 24 hours from now) please contact me, so that I can send it to you as a pdf, which I'll have to make first.

• Here you go.
    2180 x 3005 - 772K
  • lmassery
    I would like to add another request to this page: Does anyone have a proper ICEL english translation of this Gloria such that I could print the English words directly below the latin words. This would mean that it cannot be an adaptation of the english that eliminates notes. Thanks
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    IMO, if you're going to have them sing it in Latin, there should be no need for an English translation. They've been at least speaking it since 2011, and most DO have in memorized. If they still need the translation as a crutch, put it separately below the music. There's not really space to add the useless text below the music, and it will just confuse them anyway!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CCooze
  • lmassery
    Thanks for your opinion Steve, but I still want to provide the English beneath the Latin, and there is space.
  • http://www.icelweb.org/musicfolder/openpdf.php?file=Gloria.pdf
    This is the English Gloria, you could would want to use the text from it. Please note, however, that the music is different.
  • chonakchonak
    I understand why someone might want a second line of text in there: there are clergymen who get a rash when they see a phrase of Latin without an English translation right next to it. But as you can see from Rob's score above, the Gloria and the text fill the page; adding more text would make the piece less readable. If you're able to split the Gloria across two pages, then you can make room for the translation (say, in italics).

Incidentally, if anyone's making up an engraving like that, don't use Times font; it was designed for newspapers, for minimum space. A music score has more horizontal room for the syllables, so you may as well use a font like Palatino or Charter that won't look so small.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • BruceL
    lmassery: our previous rector requested this, and I have it. PM me. I think the result is much better to simply supply the translation at the end, but it is what it is.