Accompanying the Gregorian Propers
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The choir also sings the ordinary of chant masses in octaves so both women and men feel comfortable singing.

Such an excellent point. Thank you!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    It is an excellent point.
  • Have you considered accompanying them with silence? This is my usual custom and you would be quite impressed with the overall effect! Try it!
  • lautzef
    On occasions when we do a chant ordinary, there are times when I don't accompany it and then they don't sing. Maybe one person ventures it, but the rest just stand there.

You may have a different sort of congregation.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I like to accompany congregational singing with choir singing.
  • lautzef
    We always have a choir, I just didn't mention that. However, I don't always play the organ. I do it when the congregation needs encouragement.
  • They may not be singing (all that much better) when you play the organ. It is my experience that people who can't (won't is the correct word) sing without instrumental accompaniment is that they aren't really singing very much better. They are just mumbling along while the organ gives them the impression that they are singing. There are people who will gladly be babied as long as you will baby them; and, consequently, they never grow up.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you talked to them in a kindly manner and let them know that they are supposed to sing whether the organ is playing or not. A little (or a lot) of encouragement may be all that is needed. Just imagine how good they would feel if they could (WOULD) sing chant robustly without an organ wailing away. What an exciting accomplishment this would be!

A very important factor is: what are your acoustics like? Do they encourage singing?
    Thanked by 3SkirpR CHGiffen Gavin
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    They may not be singing (all that much better) when you play the organ. It is my experience that people who can't (won't is the correct word) sing without instrumental accompaniment is that they aren't really singing. They are just mumbling along while the organ gives them the impression that they are singing. I recently subbed at a parish at which I had to tell the 'cantor' not to sing the hymns and ordinary into the microphone. She said with an air of certitude that 'they won't sing unless I do'. What, in fact, they were doing was listening to her sing while they mumbled along. When I finally got her to step back from the microphone, I discovered (with little surprise) that I could hear 'them' singing quite well. There are people who will gladly be babied as long as you will baby them; and, consequently, they never grow up.

Having led academic choral ensembles of students required to participate, many students only commit to making an effort when they realize they're not able to "hide." The congregation surely isn't "required" to sing. If they choose not to sing, it seems likely to me the issue in the parish is not a musical one.
  • Earlier in the thread, I read some very nice comments about the NOH. Placing my personal copy of the NOH online back in 2008 was one of the very first ventures of Corpus Christi Watershed.

Like many of you on this forum, we at CCW occasionally experience "rough days." What we are trying to accomplish is not always easy. Sometimes, it is difficult to continue on.

When I read comments of those of you who have found the NOH helpful, it is a source of great encouragement to me --- it makes me feel that our work is making a real difference in the lives of Church musicians. The NOH was a revelation to me when I discovered it through the kindness of a retired musicologist in the 1990s. Thank you very much for these encouraging comments!
  • BenBen
    The NOH is awesome. Whenever I need chant accompanied, I always check there first and give it to my organist.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The NOH is awesome.

As is CCW, and PoJo personally. I'm delighted to consider him a friend, and thankful he tolerates my ridiculous nickname.
  • BenBen
    PoJo?
  • CharlesW
    I still think he is in hiding from NPM hit men. Wonder if the government has a composer protection program?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    PoJo?

Paul Onnonhoaraton - Jeff Ostrowski
  • BenBen
    Wow.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Wow.

I know. My cleverity is astounding.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Speaking of cleverity: How does one pronounce Onnonhoaraton, and what nationality-race-ethnicity-etymology, etc. is it?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    He was a Huron native, a convert to Christianity, a companion to Isaac Jogues, and a martyr.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn