Accompanying the Gregorian Propers
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    While I'm not chanting the propers presently, I am hopeful that may change in the future, so I am doing what I can to learn as much as I can for when the occasion might arise. I recently purchased the accompaniment volumes for the St. Edmund Campion Missal, and was somewhat surprised that it only includes organ parts for the Kyriale and the Hymnal. Now I realize that all chant is vocal music ideally sung without accompaniment. But from a practical standpoint what would an organist typically play to "support" the singing of the propers?

I also own the current (OF) Graduale Accompaniment books from Solesmes which I keep on the organ for preludes/interludes (hoping that it will subliminally win people over), but that obviously doesn't correspond to the '62 Missal. I also know that the multiple volumes of Nova Organi Harmonia are available from CC Watershed. Are there other options?

For anyone who might have more experience accompanying chant, how do the various accompaniment volumes compare (Solesmes vs NOH for the propers, Berges vs Rossini vs NOH for the Kyriale)? Obviously I could simply play through everything and form my own opinion, but I'm wondering what has/hasn't worked for you if you are using these resources or know of others.

Also, what about the possibility of simply doubling the melody (with or without a pedal tone) and reading directly from the Graduale?

One final question: when playing for the EF which Graduale corresponds to the '62 Missal, or is it just common practice to simply follow the LU?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My vote is very strongly for the NOH, especially since you are in an EF setting.
    Why is my opinion worthwhile in this case?

I very strongly prefer unaccompanied chant to accompanied, and I have a personal preference aversion to most organ music most of the time. However: I have not yet heard an NOH accompaniment that I didn't like. The harmonic approach, rooted in an understanding of the Chant itself, as opposed to imported from Common Practice theory, makes it (to my lay ears, at least) beautifully suited to the chant. It is not just my favorite chant accompaniment- it's the only approach to chant accompaniment I can consistently stand.

Also - as an aside - the NOH (and, more generally, from what I can tell) the Flemish school of modal theory is a strong influence on the work of Jeff Ostrowski (our own PoJo), who is (again- to my ears, at least) the absolute best composer of chant harmonization I have ever heard. I take his respect for the NOH, and the theory of harmony it represents, with a lot of weight.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I agree with Adam (except the bit about organ music!) on the NOH. No need to look any further :)
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I also like the NOH, but our schola director preferred that I use Achille Bragers' Proprium de Tempore so we used it for one year when we began singing the full propers last spring.

I must say the advantage to using the Bragers accompaniment is that it is written according to the Solesmes method, and the notes are rhythmically grouped. When I was learning to place the ictus marks on the propers, I often double-checked the chant notation with the Bragers accompaniment to make sure it was correct.

However, while I believe it was necessary for us as beginners to have an accompaniment to give melodic support and to help us blend our voices, at a certain point during Lent this year we all began feeling hampered by the accompaniment and felt like the keyboard, as quiet as it was, was drowning us out and keeping us from shaping and phrasing the chant properly.

On Easter Sunday I put away the Bragers, and we haven't looked back once. I'm thrilled since I can sing the propers without having to play the keyboard, and it's been such fun learning as a group to better articulate the neums and give more dynamic expression which just wasn't possible with the accompaniment.

One last suggestion, if you're learning to sing the propers and this was what we are convinced was the key to unlocking the propers---(you may know this already) but be sure to learn how to sing with the ictus marks so the binary and ternary note groups may be clearly identified.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to state that rhythm is the soul of chant and learning how to place and sing with the ictus marks is absolutely essential.
  • Earl Grey,

(What a great moniker, by the way).

It seems to me that the best way to support chanted propers is to give the scola members such a grounding that they feel confident singing them on one reading.

That way, the music supports the singers.

Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Paul F. Ford
    Jeff Ostrowski (our own PoJo), who is (again- to my ears, at least) the absolute best composer of chant harmonization.

Indeed!
    Thanked by 2Earl_Grey Adam Wood
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    So does anyone simply double the melody to help the schola stay on pitch as opposed to harmonizing? It would seem, at least theoretically, the better option if some sort of support was required.
  • expeditus1
    So does anyone simply double the melody to help the schola stay on pitch as opposed to harmonizing? It would seem, at least theoretically, the better option if some sort of support was required.

I know that Earl_Grey's question above is a serious one and I really don't want to interrupt the flow of helpful feedback to his question, but sometimes my manners get sidetracked by my impulses. Perhaps organ is unnecessary? Who doesn't like Kenny G, anyway?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY5EztLcSVo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFgh6DNt5yU&NR=1&feature=endscreen
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • The propers were not designed to be accompanied, and many excellent directors do find accompanied propers to be aesthetically distasteful for that reason. Accompanied propers are a new composition, an added and often anachronistic element.

While the NOH has advantages to other attempts, I have not experienced accompanied propers that are musically convincing. The notes may be correct (or not) but the melodic line is sacrificed as the chant is halting because the singers constantly check for support.

Singers are not trained to be secure and self-sufficient using this method.

If you are new to the propers, I advocate dedicating the time to slowly build a competent schola. This may mean focusing on one thing at a time (Introits and Communions are usually less intricate) and using simplified propers. I've done this with two different choirs and its worked for us. It has worked with my children's groups as well.

Invest in singing the propers by investing in skilled acapella singing.
    Thanked by 3gregp Earl_Grey Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Earl Grey, I suppose you could do that, but I suspect it may sound a bit primitive. : )

I'm certainly not an expert on Gregorian chant, but this might help you decide which accompaniment or not to use:

Achille Brager's Proprium de Tempore offers the most support both melodically and harmonically. It also features rhythmic phrasing which is a great help to a beginning accompanist in learning to identify and follow the rhythm.

The Solesmes accompaniment, Graduale Romanum Comitante Organo is very similar to Brager's. It comes in 3 Volumes for the Liturgical Year and follows the revised Roman rite. If you are singing at the EF, you will be able to find many of the propers for the liturgical year, but not all.

The NOH offers a much lighter accompaniment. It's ingeniously designed with the notes in rhythmic groups of two's and three's, and with the melody in black notes.

Another possibility is what I think is called a modal accompaniment. This is a very minimalist approach, a few sustained chords without the melody. Of course, the schola would have to be able to sing independently for this to work.

A great example of a modal accompaniment (if I'm using that term correctly) to Gregorian chant is the Liturgical Year performed by the Schola Bellarmina of Belgium. This is the barest minimum accompaniment and is truly exquisite, in my opinion. I love unaccompanied chant as well, but this is certainly a worthy option.

Schola Bellarmina chanting the Easter Introit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwdq-Ap2NNA
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    In response to Mary Ann Carr Wilson---- the question of accompanied (harmonic) chant vs unaccompanied chant has been contested over the centuries in the Church.

In the encyclical Annus qui hunc by Pope Pius (oops!) Benedict XIV (1749), there is a fascinating back-and-forth discussion weighing the pros and cons of accompanied chant, and while it was not the practice in many places, the Pope points out that even at the Council of Trent (1545) at the intervention of Emperor Ferdinand, the Council Fathers had allowed the use of organ in the Church's liturgy.

Other ecclesiastical writers confirm the same opinion, and actually the practice of using the organ to accompany chant had become so widespread by the eighteenth century, that Pope Benedict XIV points out that "the use of harmonic . . . chant and of musical instruments at Masses, Vespers and other Church functions is now so largely spread that it has also reached Paraguay."

While accompanied chant may not be everyone's liturgical cup of tea, it is a perfectly legitimate option, and might be a good choice for a beginning schola in a typical parish setting. Speaking for myself, I'd rather hear the full propers with a quiet Bragers or Solesmes accompaniment than the Rossini propers any day, but that's just my own preference.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Certainly it's allowed, however tacky it may be. What's not a point of debate is that accompaniment not an integral or even authentic part of the composition, and it's not needed with a properly trained schola.

When citing (interesting!) bits from history, it's also relevant to note that most talk of accompanying chant was about accompanying the ordinary, not the propers. This discussion is about the propers.

I share your distaste for the Rossini. There are better options.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I liked the videos expeditus1. Not a big Kenny G fan, but that's basically what I was thinking. Perhaps a flute or an oboe or a serpent would work better. ;)

I guess given the opportunity, I would rather sing the proper melodies rather than a simplified psalm tone even if some sort of support was required. Certainly vocal only is a worthy ideal to strive for.
  • ronkrisman
    Pius XIV?
  • To answer Earl's last question, I'm not sure what's typical, but when singing for the EF, I follow the LU and an ordo.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Paul F. Ford
    Benedict XIV
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    MaryAnn. The key to accompanied chant is just that - precisely - it's an accompaniment. It is intended to help the singers stay on pitch and feel the flow, not for them to use as a rhythmic crutch. The basics of feeling the duple/triple aspects of the melody line are essential. The organ cannot make up for that. As to the Rossini, they are utilitarian, yes. But sometimes that is what is needed. I don't actually use the original book - I have all the tones in my computer, with accompaniment. I do have tricks. First, when chanting the Alleluia verse, we always use the melismatic Alleluia, then the Psalm tone verse. This doesn't really take that much more time, and sounds much better. Second, we alternate Gregorian tones with Anglican chant. This works especially well on the Introit: Antiphon to the Gregorian Introit tone; Psalm verse to Anglican chant; Doxology to the extended, 3-part Gregorian tone; and the repeat of the Antiphon to Anglican chant. This also gives us the advantage of picking an Anglican chant that segues perfectly into whatever polyphonic Kyrie were are singing.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Earl_Grey
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Would you be able to post an example of this, Steve? Sounds intriguing!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I think chant accompaniment may be more helpful less distasteful when the person providing it is not directing, i.e. someone leading the chant only with gesture, which the singers and organist follow.

When the "director" is playing the "accompaniment" exactly how much is the choir really following with their ears (slightly delayed) than with their eyes?

Not to sidetrack the conversation too much, as a choral conductor who has (thankfully) managed to find full-time employment in academic settings, I wish it was easier for me to share my expertise in the parish setting on a part time basis. In other words, I wish it were more common to find music directorships shared between an organist and a choir director as more-or-less equals.

I find that a significant number (but certainly not all) organists believe they are better conductors than they are - if for no other reason than they don't have enough opportunity to practice that skill because they are frequently at the organ out of necessity.
  • expeditus1
    Warning: Unpopular opinion coming

I have just returned from attending Mass at yet another parish which is attempting to implement chant, along with other liturgical changes such as the priest's orientation to the altar, use of the Communion railing, etc., and am left with a sense of being underwhelmed and uninspired. At the very least, the residual effect doesn't seem that dissimilar from some poor Novus Ordo music experiences; at a higher level of concern, anemically-performed chant does nothing to advance the acceptance of the other liturgical changes, by virtue of its power of association.

I have posted on this forum previously about being one of those guitar knuckleheads up in the sanctuary (in my youth), who had the proficiency of the C and G chords at my disposal. The F chord was attempted during songs which called for it, but I'd say that 2 out of every 3 tries, I failed. Mercifully, I did seek early retirement from guitar-playing, all on my own initiative, but not until I had ear-bombed those attending the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, on multiple occasions. Simply put, those in charge of planning the liturgical functions at my church should have demanded more practice from me, either before or in lieu of any performance of that music, but in all the haste and impetus of the new "let's give it a whirl" liturgical agenda, kids such as myself were enlisted to help promote it. The gift we offered was nothing befitting the King of Kings. Freshly-hatched eaglets should not be persuaded to believe that they can immediately soar with eagles.

Yes, I realize that the Lord blesses every pitifully humble gift we offer in His service, but.....as a musician I really do strain to be honest with myself as to whether the gift is ready for presentation to the King. Any schola attempting to sing unaccompanied chant, which causes the listener to have to endure variable numbers of unintended key changes, and multiple dissonances on any given syllable, is not pleasurable. Poor music doesn't excite in the club, on the radio, in the elevator, or at Mass. Until such time as that schola can fly with the big birds, unattended, you can be sure that this organist will be providing the wing lift.

In answer to your question, Earl_Grey, I make use of both the Brager's and NOH accompaniments - for certain feasts, I find one or the other preferable. Also write my own accompaniments. JulieColl's suggestion of minimalist modal accompaniments is a good one; she used the word "exquisite," and I wholly concur with that. When I hear a good accompaniment underneath the chant, I am immediately transported to another sphere; it affects me like nothing else.

• Felicity
    The ideal is a capella chant.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    I. Propers
    A. The accompaniment that is used by the Schola Bellarmina is exquisite; and, if I had a copy of that accompaniment OR the talent to compose its likeness, it would be my first choice.

B. I have been using Henri Potiron's 4 Volumes of the Graduel Paroissial for over 10 years and find it very serviceable. As the men of the Schola become more proficient with a piece, I cease playing the melody...letting the accompaniment support them. (Note: If the Schola gets into trouble, I do not hesitate to play the melody only, both in the treble and the tenor. I only do this the minimum length of time required and then return to the accompaniment.) The first three volumes are available here
    http://chabanelpsalms.org/introductory_material/Public_Domain_Chant_ACC/PotironGradual_1.pdf
    here
    http://chabanelpsalms.org/introductory_material/Public_Domain_Chant_ACC/PotironGradual_2.pdf
    and here.
    http://chabanelpsalms.org/introductory_material/Public_Domain_Chant_ACC/PotironGradual_3.pdf

C. When a Mass is to be sung without time for the Schola to prepare, the Rossini psalm-tone Propers are used since they are immediately singable.

D. On occasion, I have used Bas, Mathias, Bragers, and NOH.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    II. Kyriale
    A. My first choice is Desrocquettes & Potiron's Kyriale
    http://chabanelpsalms.org/introductory_material/Public_Domain_Chant_ACC/DesrocquettesPotironKyriale1.pdf

B. My second/third choice is Rossini's Kyriale.

C. My second/third choice is Goyatton & Lemoine-Biton's Kyriale Paroissial although it is not a complete Kyriale. It is written in three voices....very minimal and delicate.
    http://chabanelpsalms.org/introductory_material/Public_Domain_Chant_ACC/KyrialeParoissial.pdf

D. My fourth choice is Bragers's Kyriale (not the low voice version).
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Please note that these are my preferences based on the needs of a particular Schola, congregation, AND on my organ skills (or lack thereof). What will work for you may be entirely different. There are so many resources available now compared to just a decade ago!!! Try different accompaniments and use what works for your singers and for you.

Deo gratias!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    ex1
    That doesn't sound like an unpopular opinion at all. I don't know anyone who would advocate poorly done unaccompanied chant over well done accompanied chant. (Okay, I can probably think of someone if I try hard enough.)
  • OK, I'm another who loves beautifully accompanied chant. I don't mean overbearingly or romantically accompanied, but sensitively and with the purposes of maintaining pitch and moving the chant along at a good pace.

I understand all the good reasons why chant should ideally be unaccompanied: the most compelling for me is that the accompaniment resolves the harmonic possibilities and ambiguities that the chant suggests and that these should be left for the ear and mind to resolve or not. But if that can't be achieved in unaccompanied chanting, let the accompaniment add support and beauty.
  • I find it interesting that within a couple of centuries of chant being written down, organs and bells began to be used, more than likely at first to help maintain the pitch and later to add greater solemnity. As an Organist/Choirmaster, charged with providing the full
    Gregorian proper plus motets at the offertory and communion, I would rather discreetly
    accompany when needed than have things fall apart. A schola that sings possibly one
    mass a month, like the school choir that sings one or two concerts a semester (with at
    least three rehearsals a week) has the luxury of rehearsing to perfection. I would rather
    offer worthy praise to God accompanied than saying I won't, because I didn't have time
    to prepare the ideal. If you can always sing it well without accompaniment, I admire you.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    And the Good Friday reproaches are quite effective with a drone:

http://www.chantcafe.com/2013/03/the-good-friday-reproaches.html
  • Earl, yes, using a vocal drone can be very effective if your singers have been trained to sing in tune, and in tune with one another. An organ is a different instrument (a beautiful instrument!!) and is tuned differently.

I just wish the organists I know would spend as much time learning the mechanics of vocal technique via private lessons and voice classes as they do rummaging through umpteen million accompaniments. Their singers (and they) would actually get a chance to learn how to sing our acapella church music well...

I advise this: you can learn the voice as an instrument well enough to teach your singers how to sing in tune. The organ can't do that as effectively. It can serve to cover mistakes and help a choir from plunging too low. The organ is not a voice teacher, and your singers will not learn as much chant and polyphony as they can if the training wheels are always on.

As a mid-step, you can also learn the chants well enough to hold slightly struggling singers up with your voice, and not the organ.

I also say this as one who is charged with singing weekly propers and motets. We have two fully sung masses back to back.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen gregp
  • Skip R, I wholeheartedly concur with your comment.
    I truly thank God that there is a division of duties in my parish, and that I have been tasked with the responsibility of training voices and conducting while my very dear organist colleague focuses mostly on organ and beautifying the sacred liturgy through musical preludes and postludes, exquisite organ improvisation and delightful organ repertoire.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Another unpopular opinion coming. I think, after 1,000 or so years of accompanied chant, the a capella purists are full of it. Yes, there is beautiful unaccompanied music written for use in the liturgy, but it doesn't exist so some self-obsessed singers can dote on themselves. Unfortunately, we live in an age of musical extremes and musical extremists. I enjoy hearing the interplay between voices and organ, when the accompaniment actually fits the vocal music. Unaccompanied singing, when done excessively, gets tedious, fast. I understand why the French had organ masses. They were probably tired of dealing with singers. ;-)
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    purists fussbudgets

Fixed.

There is a range of feeling and opinion on this matter:

chant must be unaccompanied, anything else is outrage!!1!
    chant is traditional a capella, so that is the ideal
    I hate accompanied chant, but it's licit
    I prefer a capella chant
    I'm fine either way
    Prefer accomp

There's probably finer gradations here. I suspect most people who are into this stuff are generally in the middle of that range.

Unaccompanied singing, when done excessively, gets tedious, fast.

I disagree, but that's just me.

I understand why the French had organ masses. They were probably tired of dealing with singers.

Best solution to a prima donna cantor? A prima donna organist!
  • CharlesW
    Now, you are getting it, Adam. LOL. Seriously, prima donnas are never good, in either field.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Unaccompanied singing, when done excessively, gets tedious, fast.

I couldn't agree more with this. I think that's why the Church discourages the use of the organ during Lent and Advent.

Unaccompanied singing = penance, austerity, hardship, rigor, and trial.

That being said, I really prefer unaccompanied propers and acapella motets during a Missa Cantata, as long as the rest of the Mass is with the organ. The contrast between the accompanied and unaccompanied is very effective.

Also, at least to me, a Missa Cantata with only propers and ordinary and no hymns is almost unbearably monastic. I think I would slowly wilt and die if I had to live without hymns and motets. : )
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Unaccompanied singing = penance, austerity, hardship, rigor, and trial.

Clearly this is a series of small, unfortunate typos. Let me attempt to fix that for you...

Unaccompanied singing = penance peacefulness, austerity awesomeness, hardship holiness, rigor rapturous, and trial timelessness.

Damn autocorrect.
    :)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    unbearably monastic

-unbearable
    -monastic

Pick one.
    Thanked by 1Felicity
  • CharlesW
    The problem I have with unaccompanied chant, is that unless the choir is very good, it eventually starts resembling eerie wailing. I suspect the non-modal ears of the congregation hears the same. Much of the chant repertoire has a sameness too it. That's good for consistency, but can become tedious to hear. I attended a Sowerby concert once, and thought the eerie wailing would never end. It's also good music, but can be too much of a good thing.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I'd make a terrible monk. I wouldn't last a day. : (
  • CharlesW
    I would be a horrible monk, too. I visited a priest friend some years ago at his invitation. They needed someone with a MSLIS to reorder their disorganized library, so they were interested in me. The guys in the order were great, but I could never have coped with that many people, that close, 24/7 for very long. I need my space! LOL.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The problem I have with unaccompanied chant, is that unless the choir is very good, it eventually starts resembling eerie wailing.

Add some vibrato to that, and it gets even more interesting.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    but I could never have coped with that many people, that close, 24/7 for very long. I need my space!

(Ditto a convent of women! I could never comprehend for the longest time how the Little Flower could become a saint by offering up the difficulties of living with nuns all the time, but once I reached my forties, I began to understand .)
  • Adam, you are a hoot- prima donna organists are indeed an issue.
    I'm ok with the ordinary being accompanied, though I don't prefer it. I find it distracting unless the choir is mostly in tune and the organist is excellent.

Has anyone else noticed that organists who complain about singers don't seem to know how to fix vocal issues- and aren't even aware that most of that responsibility lies with themselves if they offer themselves as directors of volunteer vocal ensembles? (If your group can't sing in tune, well, what kind of vocalizes are you doing? Can you isolate vocal issues in singers and address them in a group setting? How much do you know about vocal resonance- can you teach it?)

Could it be that our field is so dominated by organists that most of them don't know what they don't know about singing?

The problem isn't self-obsessed singers wanting to chant without being held back by the organ (the modern concept of solo cantor singing over the whole mass is another diva problem- but groups of singers don't tend to ego in the same way). The problem is more of some organists thinking that every type of music needs a veneer of organ stylings to make it "better". That's ego- organist ego.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen SkirpR

• Unaccompanied singing, when done excessively, gets tedious, fast.

So I'm guessing your fingers get itchy to play when you hear a sung gospel, a solemn preface, or sung canon?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam, you are a hoot

woot.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Could it be that our field is so dominated by organists that most of them don't know what they don't know about singing?
    This calls to mind this:
    Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    We have two fully sung masses back to back.

Mary Ann, I just noticed what you said back there. Wow! We sing one full EF Missa Cantata on Sunday, and we're totally exhausted the rest of the day. (But then we have to transport all the equipment back and forth plus five kids so that counts for something, I guess.)

Adam and Charles, thanks for the insights contrasting those who actually know and those who don't. Since I read the article last week that Adam put out, I've seen that theory confirmed multiple times in my own family and in myself. Ouch.

Question: Is it possible to have both effects in the same person on different subjects? (I'm afraid I'm living proof of that.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I'm happy that my questions invite such lively discussion!

I am actually a singer not an organist (though I am the organist by default). I do quite well with fixing vocal problems with individual singers who study with me privately. Conducting a choir is another issue. Many of my volunteer singers have sang in choirs their whole life and that consisted of mostly singing by rote. I couldn't comprehend how someone could sing in a choir for 30 years or more and never learn to read music, never learn to match pitch, sing in tune, blend, balance etc. But that is the reality.

I am confident that I could do even more to help my singers if I weren't tethered to the bench where since I have to devote much of my attention to playing the organ, I'm not realizing my full potential as a director. I would love to find a volunteer accompanist or hire one, but neither possibilities have presented.

I agree with your assertion that the field is dominated by directors who are organists and not singers or at least don't' know how to teach singing. I've witnessed this many times in various choir I've sung in. There are a few exceptional directors who excel at both, but most choral directors are either keyboardists (piano or organ) or singers.

I don't necessarily agree that choirs are free from Divas. I know many diva (divo) choral singers who simply flat out refuse to take direction, blend their voice or do anything for the sake of the group. Particularly in small volunteer choirs where the musical bar is low there is always that one voice that tends to stick out, and if I were to spend the entire rehearsal on vocal technique then they wouldn't learn all the music that they need to for that coming Sunday. And if I were to require that all the singers learn their music on their own away from the rehearsal so that the choir rehearsal time could be spend on nuances, then I wouldn't have a volunteer choir. That was a big hurdle for me fresh out of college. The first year I passed out a lot of great choral music that was totally over their head. Over the years I've had to learn to let some things go for the morale of the group so that I'm not constantly cutting music that is too much for them or constantly harping on the same one or two voices who in all honestly can't sing well but love to sing.

Getting back to a cappella vs. accompanied. I would love to do more a cappella music, but it is simply too difficult for them. Nonetheless I continue to challenge them with it. Still my most successful a cappella attempts have been with Chant (communion antiphons, Gregorian hymns etc.) as opposed to polyphonic music which is another level of difficulty. Still while I may have to resort to doubling moets that were meant to be sung a cappella they are at least being exposed to a world of music that was completely foreign to them and would be otherwise unobtainable.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 Felicity
  • CharlesW
    Has anyone else noticed that organists who complain about singers don't seem to know how to fix vocal issues

I know how to fix vocal issues, but murder still carries a stiff jail sentence. Beating singers is also frowned upon in legal circles, although definitely a pleasant thought.

Some vocal issues can't be fixed. I have an aged choir that wants to live on past glories, and do very little work anymore. Some of them think they merit great acclaim if they show up!

So I'm guessing your fingers get itchy to play when you hear a sung gospel, a solemn preface, or sung canon?

We never hear sung gospels at non-EF masses. We do hear the others. My fingers never itch to play, and I am usually just as happy not to. They pay me the same either way - very little!

Where did you find all those organists? The wailing warblers outnumber us ten to one. ;-)
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Charles,

You need to learn to wound with words and kill with a stare.

No lawyer can touch you that way, and you get results!
    Thanked by 2CharlesW expeditus1
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It's very helpful to hear your perspective as both a vocalist and organist, and I agree with you that if you have a schola composed mostly of people who learn music by rote (which is our situation as well, although I'm continually amazed at their prodigious memories and ability to learn new music by ear--compensatory gifts!) using an accompaniment to the propers is pretty much a necessity, esp. if there isn't much practice time available.

Using the Bragers accompaniment for one full liturgical year enabled our schola to learn the melodies and assimilate the rhythmic patterns and sing with confidence as a group---all valuable assets. I know of other scholas who have struggled for years to learn the unaccompanied propers and it was nothing but frustration and problems for them. Either they went to the Rossini propers or ended up using a cantor who sings the propers ad lib, literally making them up as he goes along.

After a year of accompanied propers we are now able to sing without accompaniment, but if you end up using the accompaniment for longer that, it's certainly not a crime. Perhaps you can begin with a four-voice accompaniment like Bragers and switch over time to a lighter, three-voice one and go from there. It's my opinion that a subtle, discreet accompaniment is far better in the long run than frustration, uncertainty and cacophony.

As for the ordinary of the Mass, it's been my experience that a light organ accompaniment is very helpful in encouraging the congregation to sing along with a chant Mass setting. I'm sure it be would be very rare to find a congregation confident enough to chime in with an unaccompanied ordinary.

Again, I think the key words when speaking of accompanied chant are lightness, subtlety and discretion. There are certainly commando-style organist accompanists out there who like to lead the schola and congregation by the nose, but I think most people would agree that's not the ideal.

Thanked by 2Earl_Grey expeditus1
  • SalieriSalieri
    I love the NOH but I use Bragers and Potiron for the Ordinary because I follow (only for those) the Solesmes method (though slightly modified). I am director and organist and usually do not accompany the choir when it sings the propers, because I found that they don't follow the direction and follow the organ, causing them to lag behind. However, when we know a proper particularly well, but are having trouble tuning - because of time of day, reduced numbers, etc. I will accompany directly from the Graduale or SEP or whatever.

The best thing to do - using NOH, Potiron, Desroquettes, et al. as models - is to improvise accompaniments from the chant notation, simply because many accompaniment editions don't take into account certain elements of modern chant scholarship (the salicus is particularly hard to spot in modern notation), and often I find the rhythm is a bit simplified. For example I much prefer a modern notation that repeats the strophas, i.e. three eigths, beamed together, rather than grouping them into larger values, like a dotted quarter.

I learned to accompany chant by playing and listening to lots and lots of recordings, and then tried to mimic what I heard, first with simple pieces (like Adoro te), and then branching out. One of the nice things about improvising accompaniments is that when you know what parts the choir find tricky you can alter the accompaniment to help them, you can't do that so much when you are using pre composed accompaniments.

Try only to use 8' stops, maybe a 4' for extra clarity, if accoustics, or voicing requires it. I like a light 16' in the pedal (coupled to whatever manual your playing on).

Hope this is helpful
  • CharlesW
    I like the NOH, too. During Lent and Advent when we use Latin chant masses, I use the NOH accompaniments where possible, instead of those in the hymnal.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • lautzef
    No one has mentioned Marcel Dupre's book on chant accompaniment. The French have a very long tradition of doing this. Remember the old saying about the fact that it's better to teach a person how to fish than just keep providing the fish somebody else has caught.

I never accompany the propers but I agree with Julie re: the ordinary, that you can't get the congregation to sing unless you accompany them. (I don't think it's just our parish, either.) When I do that I make very sure that the accompaniment does not get in the way of the singing, but at the same time I make sure I am always playing the melody as well as whatever minimal underlay there is. The choir also sings the ordinary of chant masses in octaves so both women and men feel comfortable singing. As for ready-made accimpaniments, I find Bragers better than the others but rarely use it as is - I usually make my own edition of whatever Kyrie, etc. If I were a better improviser I would just do that (improvise) instead, as Dupre expects one to do. As someone mentioned, the less fussy, the better - you just need a little something in the background to give the people downstairs a bit more confidence.