Slowly doth the worm turn?
  • WendiWendi
    But Dearest...I LIKE romance novels. Well written ones anyway. :)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Father, perhaps we're doomed to talk passed each other in this thread. Adam's initial comment represents "my expectations."
    AWR and Pr.Ferrone frequently link to other articles and invite reflection. No one questions their intent, motive or agendas.
    As far as "bashing/demonizing," you say potayto, I say potahto.
    If this is no tempest in a teapot, it will go away.
  • chonakchonak
    I had to look up what the phrase means: "even a worm will turn": even a lowly, humble critter will eventually resist a burdensome situation. Is that what's happening with Cooney?
  • CharlesW
    Who knows? It sounds like he is having a mid-career composing crisis with his publishers. Maybe another good argument for traditional church music. It doesn't change with popular tastes so rapidly. It does change, but at a slower pace.

I sensed - and maybe I am totally wrong - a bit of an attitude I have encountered among musicians and liturgists in my age group. It is along the lines of, "Look what we did for you. How can you like that old stuff after all we did to liberate you." Maybe he doesn't feel appreciated enough.

Don't read romance novels. They give you unrealistic expectations. LOL.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Don't read romance novels. They give you unrealistic expectations.

So do liturgy blogs.
  • kevinfkevinf
    "Look what we did for you. How can you like that old stuff after all we did to liberate you."

Been there,heard that, moved on. Perhaps in a sense they did do something for us. And we probably should be grateful. I know sometimes I really am grateful.

But other times I grow weary of the smugness. The last time I checked we were all Catholic. Perhaps not now...
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • WendiWendi
    Not in my case. My reality is better than any romance novel. :)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Must be the western air, Wendi. ;-)
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • WendiWendi
    Nope. It's my beloved. He's AWESOME. And I live in Michigan.
  • CharlesW
    For some reason, I thought you were in the west with Melo Charles. Michigan is good. Parts of it are quite beautiful.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I thought you were in the west with Melo Charles.

You actually put that out into the air, CDub? As if I'm not in enough trouble already!
    I don't need my WendY to get another wrong impression! ;-)
  • Wait- does that mean Wendy isn't ok with the "Charles Culbreth Fan Club- CMAA Babes Branch"?
    Bummer- I paid my dues already this year. :)
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • CharlesW
    Hey Charles, it must be nice to be a babe magnet. ;-) LOL
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "Adam, why'd you join the Sacred Music movement? Was it the money? The prestige? The power?"
    "Well, I do enjoy all those aspects of this lifestyle, but the real draw was all the babes."
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Talk about the worm turning, Chonak! Omigosh. MACW-of course we got yer dues and forwarded them to Wounded Warriors.
    And Fr. Ron, I'm sure you already figured out this thread going this direction was always my intention. Yikes, yeesh and yowzah!
  • francis
    This thread is def a tempest in a teapot.

For me, Mr. Cooney simply represents "the road MOST travelled" by the composers of 'church music passing by' and the whole bunch ended up in the woods somewhere kinda hesitantly humming Kum-By-Ya lighting torches and trying to see where to go next.
    Thanked by 2melofluent elaine60
  • Agreed, Francis.
    I still say kudos to Charles, for caring enough about Mr. Cooney to give consideration to his insightful posts and view him as a human being, not just another cog in the liturgical industrial complex.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    I think Wendy is fine with Dearest having a fan club...as long as our adoration is chaste and at a distance. :) Since I have placed him firmly in the role of wise elder sibling...I think I'm safe.

CharlesW...nope I've never been to California. I was in Salt Lake last year, which is where I met Dearest.

Dragging my post back on topic...I think Mr. Cooney is upset that he did everything he thought he was supposed to do, everything that the liturgical industrial complex required of him, and because of what he perceives to be a change in fashion, he's being abandoned for the latest trend.

I can certainly sympathize with him, although I agree with the position that if one composes timeless music, this will not be such an issue.

Remember though, there have composers throughout the ages that have followed musical fashion...and while very popular in their day, are for the most part unknown and forgotten by future generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ulXbpKaTg
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    he did everything he thought he was supposed to do, everything that the liturgical industrial complex required of him

Yep.

And not to belabor my own opinion on the whole matter- this is is precisely the kind of language you hear from "victims" of "the market" who suddenly find out that following some imagined set of rules (go to college, send resumes to large companies, trust the government to keep Social Security solvent) is no guarantee of comfort and security.
    Thanked by 2elaine60 francis
  • CharlesW
    We will have to pray to the forum patron for all disaffected composers. St. BitchnMoan save us.
  • francis
    Unlike 99% of the "composers" of our age, this thread does not deserve to die an untimely death in the great portal of thought.

That clip from Mozart is just so fantastic, thank you Wendi. Reminds me of a quote from Albert Einstein:

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I don't know how many of us still frequent PTB as I do daily, but Fr. Mike Joncas has begun a series of reviews of diverse collections, from Haas to new comer Luke Mayernick and now organ pieces from Dr. Lyn Trapp. If we resume the "portal of thought," francis, I think we should discuss music forensically rather than by caricature (which I know you do NOT engage in.) One of the problems that I had hoped to avoid was the usual "black hole" of getting sucked into a debate about the artist rather than the work. The thread was meant to demonstrate how the "sausage is actually made" and who are the chefs that the company selects? I think this is terribly important for the future courses sacred music will take into the future. What is the essential goverance procedures about the selection of worthy sources of sacred (or lliturgical) music? This showed up in Mad Dan's thread and in Noel's comment that most catholics and prelates have hotter issues on their plates.
    Thanked by 2kevinf CHGiffen
  • We'd best be careful using Peter Shaffer's "Amadeus" to teach music history. Although Shaffer is a fine 'psycho-dramatist', he isn't a very accurate music historian. I thought "Equus" was a much better play than "Amadeus." In the movie Tom Hulce's
    portrayal of Mozart made me want to leave. Only the sound-track was accurate. As in
    much of life, music history isn't 'black & white' but 'shades of gray'. Evidence tells quite
    a different story about Salieri.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • WendiWendi
    You are most welcome francis.

I loved that movie...not that it was terribly accurate mind you...but the soundtrack was fabulous.

Samuel...I wasn't using a fictional movie to teach history, musical or otherwise. I was using a youtube clip of a movie to emphasize my point...although...I've never heard Salieri's work performed anywhere. Mozart on the other hand...
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • melofluentmelofluent
    music history isn't 'black & white' but 'shades of gray'.

Uh, Sam, 'shades of gray?' What's on your summer reading list?
    Of course, I can't talk as I'm enjoying Brown's "INFERNO" currently in rotation with Mahrt's "MUSICAL SHAPE..."
  • Charles "melo",
    I'm currently reading Christoph Wolff's "J.S. Bach: Essays on his life and works". And re-reading BXVI "The Spirit of the Liturgy" and Leo Tolstoy "The Law of Love and the Law of Violence". Later this month we're headed to Carmel. Would you recommend some
    good "beach" books?
  • francis
    music history CAN BE black and white if you read the right (authentic, unbiased, truthful) version. now, knowing which is which can sometimes be a challenge! ...just don't get caught in the web of revisionist authorship, and you will be a bit more out of the dark.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Once again, coming to this forum and reading some of these threads is like taking a trip to the primate pavilion at the zoo and watching them shriek, bare their teeth, posture and throw poo at each other.

Discussions like this grow evermore tiresome and I for one am battle-weary from all of the "you said this and I'm offended" and "we shouldn't say these things since they'll think we're not being nice" nonsense.

No, I'm probably not following forum guidelines for posts by saying this, and yes, I also think that those who repeatedly try to treat the forum as some kind of 5th grade experiment in political correctness drive me, to quote melo, "bat-s**t crazy."
  • WendiWendi
    "It's a revolution dammit. We're going to have to offend somebody." John Adams-1776

Sorry...I couldn't find a youtube clip. But the quote just seems to fit.
    Thanked by 2elaine60 francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    David, I appreciate your frustration. Tho' I hardly ever quote myself, but halfway through the thread I wrote:
    If everything that gets discussed here is monitored and regarded by what I mirthfully call "the loyal opposition" as the product of ignorant misanthropes, we might as well pack it all up and hunker down with romance novels at home.

If we are actually appearing to ourselves more like primates in a circular pen HERE at MSF then the only sane reaction would be MT56's, walk away from the keypad and monitor. It seemed like communicative technology such as the web, used with integrity, would be an ideal nexus for ideas and sharing. But if your assessment is accurate about how we behave here, and certainly about how I feel about the behaviors at PTB, then we are confirming the definition of insanity: repeating behaviors unsuccessfully and expecting a different outcome. Maybe it is time to bail.
  • francis
    It's just the state of things in our world today, and unfortunately, the state of the Church has a lot of the world in it at this moment in history.
    Thanked by 1melofluent