Slowly doth the worm turn?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Occasionally I check into what writings are up on composer Rory Cooney's blog, GENTLE REIGN, and this one article struck a chord with me. I won't say how compounded the chord is, whether dissonant or consonant, etc. But I'd be interested in hearing what others here have to say about his reflections on his genre, the publishers and the changing faces in the current RC music business scene.
    http://rorycooney.blogspot.com/2013/06/so-you-think-you-want-to-write.html
  • Steve QSteve Q
    So he refers to "recent successes in the reform-the-reform movement" as being a "harsh reality". Guess he's talking about us, huh?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I can't say for sure, Steve. But apropos of this Sunday's gospel and a bible-full of realities, living under harsh conditions isn't in small print when we sign up.
    What other "harsh reality" struck me about his piece was an epiphany that, to Rory, his generation of songwriters is now held to a more stringent standard of evaluations by the editorial boards of the publishing houses than the young, P&W crowd of Maher, Hart and....? Hence, the worm turns.
    I suppose he could lighten his burden of keeping up with generational trends by going.....uh.....ageless in his choice of musical pilgrimage.
  • CharlesW
    Don't know what to make of it, other than everything changes over time. He apparently doesn't like some of those changes. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single thing written by him that I am familiar with. Maybe that is a harsh reality.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    Mr. Cooney said:

[speaking of publishers]...they all take very seriously their calling to provide singable music to Catholic Christian assemblies.

...I've now published around 200 pieces of music with 5 different publishers. You'd think that that would build some credibility. But it's still a gauntlet run to get new material published, even though I think I'm writing better than I ever have. And I get that — publishers don't have crystal balls either, and need to make an educated guess about the saleability and usefulness of the music they are paying to produce.

...As I said, there a kind of glut of music now, really. So it's understandable that publishers would want things to stand out for some reason. I can't compete with other musicians in the touring department, but I am fairly certain that the songs I write can compete, and need to be heard. That is my problem.

...trying to assess the best strategy for finding an audience for your songs in the riotous garden of church music, psyching yourself up to haggle with editors and decision-makers over which songs should be included in your twentieth collection of songs.

...In paying attention to that, I still have tremendous faith in my songs, but am trying to feel my way through this new territory, hoping it's not too late for this old dog to learn some new musical tricks.

OK... here is my "too-sense" of the whole 'Christian music scene'.

Before I do, please know that I am not addressing Mr. Cooney on these points; I am simply using his thoughts as a springboard for everyone who aspires to compose music for the liturgy. I am addressing the whole 'music scene'. So don't come back and tell me I am putting down Mr. Cooney or the publishers. I have sung his songs (from the heart) hundreds of times in my life, and I am a publisher myself. Now on to my take...

First problem... it's 'a scene'. It's more about personalities, musical hooks, trendy ins, emotional rides on new melody (or chord structure) crazes, or the experience of going to a 'performance'. (Masses produced for the masses, i.e., Southwestern Liturgical Conference). [NOTE: Went to my first liturgical conference in 2010 (besides the CMAA of 2005), and it was exactly what I hoped it would not be, and that will be my last if I have anything to do or say about it. The CMAA Colloquium was heaven on earth. Wish I could go again someday.]

Second... one who relies on 'building credibility' to arrive at some magical step in the ladder of success is holding onto the wind for security in self and career and identity. Please stop trying to climb the ladder and put your feet on the organ pedals instead.

Third..."there is a kind of glut of music now, really." REALLY? I think not. Truth is, there is a kind of glut of TRASHY music now. And all of it screams for attention and the publishers are all using larger and larger megaphones to try to get our attention, but truth is, it's all very boring-ho-hum-drab, built on novelty and the flash-in-the-pan, and no one wants to hear it, sing it, or play it. REALLY! [Go Jeff Ostrowski and Adam Bartlett! I applaud them for promoting authentic sacred music.]

Fourth... "I am fairly certain that the songs I write can compete, and need to be heard. That is my problem." No, that is not your (our) problem. We don't need to be heard, and we don't need to compete. If you are in your small country parish and once in while you can compose something that is worthy of the liturgy and you can find a way to utilize it in your particular setting, GREAT! That is living... and that is worshipping God in the highest way possible. Seeing our work in a hymnal should be the last thing on our list of priorities. Composing excellent music for liturgy and then sharing that with our own choir and congregation is much more important.

Fifth... once we get away from needing to 'learn new tricks' to get someone interested in our music, the better off we will be at actually composing solid, long lasting, authentic sacred music. And we will be happy with ourselves (and so will God) in the very end.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • ryandryand
    Priorities are all out of whack. The prayers of the mass are all that matter. Should one choose to present them musically, they are prayed in an elevated voice. What an arrogant affront to the almighty to bring commercial concerns and one's reputation to the forefront when composing for the transcendental ceremony which is the heart of our faith.

To hell wih business models and sale-ability of a tune.
  • Blaise
    "The praise-chorus crowd doesn't need texts that make sense..."

You got that straight. Unfortunately, the kids love this stuff, or so we are made to think, consequently, it is perpetuated.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "The praise-chorus crowd doesn't need texts that make sense..."

I, like Francis eloquently stated, do not wish to impugn Rory or his music personally. It is just that I've never, as part of Rorys demographic, read a more accurate representation of how business has been conducted over the last 30 years or so.
    It is a wonder and a puzzle to hear those words above ascribed to the succeeding generation of whom our generation begat, and which the same sacropop cohort levels still against Liturgicam Authenticam/Vox Clara for MR3 for the opposite sensibilities. Reminds of the great 70's song: "Stuck in the middle with you." And tho' I mean Rory no ill will, he decries the youth culture about their needs with texts, at the same time that words he paraphrased from scripture such as "one foot in paradise, one in the waste" (Change our hearts) still adorn the major hymnals and pulp missals.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • MHIMHI
  • WendiWendi
    You know...I would really like to meet these kids that love this stuff. I live in a college town. The ones I encounter are all about the Latin and the chant. We had one student who would constantly tell us "I'm a Charismatic Catholic...except that I like traditional music." Same with the children's choir. They LOVE chant, and Latin Polyphony.

So really...where are all these "kids who like this stuff". From where I'm sitting the only people who like this stuff and the 50-70 somethings.
  • Blaise
    I was not commenting on Mr. Cooney or his music itself, simply referring to what he said about other's music in general, no persons named, so this is not an attack on anyone's person.

I have never heard any of Mr. Cooney's work.
  • CharlesW
    I am not a charismatic. I hate snakes! ;-) I am 65, and I didn't care for that music 45 years ago.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Wendi,

I agree that many kids do appreciate "real" music. But let's not overstate our case; just to be intellectually honest, the church up the street from me packs them in for this drivel - and yeah, a lot of the kids do really seem to be into it, singing along and enjoying themselves.

Of course I'm not talking about Rory Cooney's music - I'm talking about praise music and "sacred rock n' roll."
  • francis
    PaixGloiaAmor said:

...packs them in for this drivel - and yeah, a lot of the kids do really seem to be into it, singing along and enjoying themselves.

...just like we did when we were playing Mr. Cooney's music back in the 70s strumming our guitars, and it has all come and gone--just like any other fad--no depth required. Where did that leave most of us? Many never matured into the faith and they still run around chasing the winnowing wind dabbling in the next newest thing to come out to churn up their emotions all for the sake of the 'experience'... all to be part of 'the scene'. Unfortunately, the hierarchy, hand-in-hand with the publishing industry, perpetuates this stunted spiritual growth in almost all of our parishes nationally.

I just read the new journal of Sacred Music last night cover to cover. It addresses all of this quite succinctly. Especially the final article by Msgr. Andrew Wadsworth. I highly recommend everyone reads his piece.

Here are a couple of snippets to whet your appetite for truth:

"[speaking of Thomas Day's book, Why Catholics Can't Sing] ...just as much of his advice has gone unheeded in a liturgical culture which is too easily driven by the exigencies of publishers who for the most part are the architects of our liturgical repertoire, influencing choices of the liturgical music of which they are so often the slow purveyors. Let me be clear at this point, while I would want to register my appreciation for those publishers who are at the service of the church's liturgy, I would also wish to identify a serious lacuna in our direction of a liturgical culture which has latterly been shaped by a repertoire of liturgical music principally determined by publishers."

"Nowhere was this influence more keenly felt than in the realm of liturgical music, for the principle that a repertoire of liturgical chant which had been proper to the Mass, at least in its most solemn celebration, was largely and almost universally set aside in preference for music which might be most accurately described as "non-liturgical" in character, given its frequent lack of dependence on liturgical or biblical texts and its introduction into our liturgical celebrations of a voice which is in many ways alien to the spirit of the liturgy. We sing a lot of music in church which is anti-liturgical in character and then seem surprised that it has in fact destroyed any liturgical sense in our worship."

"It is absolutely vital to grasp that this is not only true of much music which is contemporary in style but it is also evident in hymnody which is so often of a devotional rather than liturgical character and which was transplanted into the Mass from non-catholic forms of worship which are constructed on entirely different principles. This is the modern-day inheritance of the "Low-Mass" culture which envisages a largely spoken liturgy punctuated at key moments by congregational singing."

(Sacred Music, Vol. 139, pg.66, par.3---and on)

Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    it has all come and gone

Not quite. There are still pockets where it is holding on strong; even prevalent from my perspective. Admittedly, early on I was attempting to replace 70's-80's pop music with sturdier, tried and true Christian hymns which, as I have come to realize, are equally non-liturgical. Still, I think it will take several more generations to truly reform the reform.

One quick anecdote: I was once confronted by a parishioner (probably in her 60's) who wanted to know why I didn't play more "contemporary" music at Mass. I believe it was during Lent when I was using a recently composed set of communion antiphons, but also some traditional chant ordinaries and Lenten hymns. I asked her to be more specific since we offer a Life Teen Mass which utilizes nothing but the latest and greatest P&W music. Her response was quite interesting: "Oh, I don't like that stuff; it's too new. I want to hear more of the music I grew up with."

Despite the fact that I was tempering my mostly traditional hymn repertory with some Haugen and the like from the 90's--since I wan't playing her favorite songs from the 70's and 80's it wasn't "contemporary" enough for her.
  • chonakchonak
    "The music you grew up with? So that would be songs from the 90s, then?" (smile)
  • If people like our brother Rory devoted an equal amount of time spent in commercial ventures to learning the Gregorian propers and singing them in a schola of fellow travelers, I imagine their joy might increase and frustrations at not always getting published or not keeping up with trends might not seem so important.

"Diving into chant at my age??"

Go for it, Mr. Cooney! Us younguns (ok, so I barely qualify!) are loving the chant, and encountering God through sacred music. Its for you and me and little ones and everyone. Ditch the trends and go ageless.
    Thanked by 1magistra6
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I intend to write on these two very revealing posts by our colleage Rory Cooney fairly soon. But in the meantime, did it occur to anyone else that there's almost a sense of cynicism evident immediately in the articles' title themselves? "So you think you want to write.. .." Wendy and I love the Fox reality show "So you think you can dance?" as there is no other such show where the whole of the dance community of "amateurs" (in David Andrew's meaning) literally comes together both in competition and in support of each other. But Rory's take, the title seems to be a sort of warning or admonition. "Well, let me set you straight about how things really are, youngster. I been there, done that, and in the end you get a T shirt." Lastly for this comment, a type of remorse is evident between the tug of war whether to be first faithful to one's calling as a parish musician, and the demands, literally, that force one to follow the circuit commercially to huckster the latest product unveiling. It's not healthy and it does lead to loss and pain. I've seen it so many times with "composers" of our generation. And you know I'd bet our friend, Todd, would agree with that last observation. How can you grow as a DM, learn chant as MACW cries out, and know the breadth of that glut, if you're "out there" immersed in your own music 24/7?
    Again, I'm astonished at the "true confessions" nature of these two articles by Mr. Cooney. Unvarnished truth and regret.
    Thanked by 2kevinf CHGiffen
  • francis
    melo

Unfortunately, thousands of others are following the same pied piper, and the entire church community has to suffer through the banal performance of at least four of those ditties each Sunday. I say cancel the hymn slots!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Everything about these articles confirms for me that:

1. My personal philosophy regarding Intellectual Property and free distribution is, if not the right model for everyone, certainly the right model for me.

2. If a person's philosophy/worldview about how things ought to be conflicts with the reality of how things actually are, the result will always be pain and heartache.

Regarding (2): The pain and heartache may be worthwhile, if (for example) you are called by God to engage in changing how things are to how things ought to be. More often, though, I think the pain and heartache would be much alleviated by realizing that some things are just the way they are, and we need to get on with life anyway.
  • francis
    Adam... you have waxed philosophical all of a sudden... into what cave did your mind go? Come back!
  • kevinfkevinf
    "Those who live by the times of their age also die by those same times..." Charles Taylor.
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    waxed philosophical

"Did you bullshit today? Did you try to bullshit today?"
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    To quote the famous poet...

Think not to win the fight, 'tis won.
    Think not completion: all is done.
    'Tis ours then only loud to sing,
    and serve, and work, and 'wait our King.
  • CharlesW
    Adam... you have waxed philosophical all of a sudden... into what cave did your mind go? Come back!

Have you been drinking with Melo Charles? ;-)

Kidding aside, I would have to agree with much that you said.
    Re: intellectual property, and the publishing industry, et al

I do love that there are composers willing to labor, basically for free, and willing to do it on the side of their full time church work. And the quality of the work they produce is good!

But I also can see that someone who is trying to make a living off of this "music thing," and for whom composing is a piece of that puzzle, cannot simply put things online for free. They have to work with traditional publishing houses and try to make money off of their work.

I think most of the Chanabel composers, etc. are laboring for ideology, to improve the liturgical landscape. And I'm grateful!!! But they are making their money (to live on) somewhere else - probably as DOM's, organists, etc.

For whatever reason, people who publish are often relying on that income as part of their living - you see this especially in the "big names" who probably make almost all of their money from composing, recording, speaking at conventions and conferences, etc.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • melofluentmelofluent
    MeloCharles is in a massive jury room/holding pen. Would that they provided Opus One!
    I have been contacted by another composer-friend who has asked me/us to cease "Rory bashing."
    Is that what I've portrayed? Have I and we brought condemnation upon ourselves by examining Rory's own words?
    I ask in sincerity.
  • francis
    Changing how things are is a difficult endeavor, as it says in Sirach, 'If you aspire to serve the Lord, prepare yourself for an ordeal!" (paraphrased)
  • CharlesW
    I didn't catch that anyone was bashing him. I certainly can't, since as I mentioned, I can't recall a single thing he has written. What he has written and published is fair game for critical review and comment, I would think.
  • francis
    melo:

I made the caveat that I was speaking to the industry in general terms. We are NOT bashing Mr. Cooney, we are bashing the method at which publishers suck in 'talent' and then use if for their own gain, and then discard people once they are 'used up'. People who jump into the game with the publishers can only blame themselves. It takes two to tango. I feel sorry for Mr. Cooney, and my prayers are that he finds a new way to utilize his gifts.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    PGA

True(ish). But I'm not (here) arguing for my particular model of doing things.

My issue is that when I hear Content Creators bemoan the fact that they can't make a living creating content and selling it according to previously-successful models, there often comes along with it some vague (or not-so-vague) indication that someone ought to do something, or that it is someone's fault, or (at least) that there is some injustice going on.

This can either lead to harmful protectionist policies (if you have the power to implement them) or frustration and victimhood (if you don't). Neither is good.

Get on with life, figure out what works, or find something else to do. The world owes a living to nobody.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I want to make this clear. I did not start this thread capriciously (there, I've used this word twice in a week.) My motivation accurately precluded my statement of purpose and was not some arbitrary, out of the blue "sting operation" to further bad blood between "music war" encampments. On the contrary, I find Mr. Cooney's remarks refreshingly honest and candid about the rigors of going "commercial" in the liturgical music scene. And I want to state that as a Christian brother, I take his motivation to pass on his revelations and experiences as lessons, well-intentioned, to be learned by the young and old alike. There has been some back-stage concern that this thread will go all fire and brimstone, as happened a couple of weeks ago with the deacon and his brother. I believe the commentary thus far has been on point and fair, and I plead that it remain so.
    If it is any consolation to those who monitor these boards for whatever purposes, I may not use "Change our hearts" anymore, never have used "I, Myself....", but I do sing Rory's beautiful setting of the Naomi/Ruth "Song of Commitment" at the few weddings we take.
    None of this is personal on my part. Amen.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • kevinfkevinf
    In all sincerity, I did not experience any of this as "bashing." But I grow weary of the "be nice to them camp" when I can remember being called by one of Rory's compatriots as an "elitist snob" when I was asked at an NPM convention what instrument I played. I swallowed his comment and walked away,reminding myself that we are,after all, Christians of the same stripe. At that point I left NPM. I try to forget 20 years of being called everything from old-fashioned to other names that are left at the door because I believed in the cause of chant and the organ. So it behooves me that we cannot look at someone's writing, offered in the public forum that is the internet and critically and charitably examine it. Sometimes I think Shakespeare is correct in the line from MacBeth," Me thinks he doth protest too much."
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CharlesW
    Yeah, but Kevin, I wear some of those labels with pride. Being called old fashioned, an elitist or an elitist snob by the NPM-type guitar thumpers is a badge of honor. I can say this, since I am of the same age as many of them. Those with-it, Vatican II darlings are not as young, cute and clever as they once thought they were. The freshness has worn off those roses.
    Thanked by 1Steve Q
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Kevin, neither did I expect such a reaction offline. And CDub, at 62 I'm right with you in the ancient hippy demo. And I still strap on a Godin solid body, synth-abled axe for the ensemble Mass weekly. I'm a realist, always have been. But I've tried to learn the disciplines of growing up (1 Cor 13 comes to mind) and continuing to explore the depths and riches in the rites and the sacred arts. I don't think labels from any quarter serve to further a discussion towards consensus. At this point, I'd recommend that Mr. Cooney meet Mr. Wood (Adam) for an inter-generational "come to Jesus" summit.
  • CharlesW
    Charles, you do understand, I hope that I do not condemn guitar players - at least the competent ones. Guitars were used in liturgies long ago, and quite successfully. It's the three-chord-strummers I have issue with. Many of them couldn't even fairly be called musicians. I used to wonder how some of them could be so bad, and yet so arrogant.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    At this point, I'd recommend that Mr. Cooney meet Mr. Wood (Adam) for an inter-generational "come to Jesus" summit.

I'm intrigued and curious about what Friend Charles has in mind here.
    I too grow weary of the "say nothing that could be construed as not positive" camp ...

Let's allow free discussion. We're all adults. If we can't be called names, even, and I have been by parishioners none the less, than we need to seriously thicken up our skin or go home.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW francis
  • CharlesW
    PGA, how often I do find myself in agreement with you.
  • CharlesW
    Cage match Wood and Cooney. Blood and anguish will be plentiful. Tickets available for a "reasonable" price.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Again, if the same 'ole isn't working for Mr. Cooney and others, I say an option to refresh one's sacred music life is to get risky and join a chant schola.

Speaking of intergenerational experiences, I extend a personal in invitation to Mr. Cooney and any fellow liturgical musician who may get a lift from hearing 80 San Diego kids and teens chant the final mass of Chant Camp- Fri July 12, Noon, at St. Anne Church.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    PGA, no one's trying to stifle free discussion. But at the same time do understand that there's likely a fairly large amount of normal, everyday RC's, not just musicians, who think we're just bat sh*t crazy and angry all the time. This I do believe. So, if we can freely discuss without the negative stereotypes, we'll attract more bees to the hive.
    AW- I dunno, Adam, go over to Rory's site and represent, do what you do, wax philosophic and smile, darn ya smile! Or you could do a reaction piece at your blog or Cafe.
    CDub, I know that. My fondest memories of NPM nationals and regionals are of sessions in bars/lounges/restaurants, sessions in empty ballrooms and hallways where you could show the strummers the joys of finger picking, arpeggiation and bass note movement, and meeting old friends. My worst memories were their Masses. What's wrong with that picture?
    But we've yakked on about establishing a presence if not relationship with NPM. That'll never happen if we're preconceived as the Angry Byrds. I copyrighted that just now.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
    On a side note, I'm been surprised at how many very "Traditional" leaning and very "conservative," to use those over-used labels, people that I've been meeting at NPM conventions.
  • ronkrisman
    PGA, no one's trying to stifle free discussion.

Charles, there have been 43 entries on this thread and, so far (unless I've missed something), the only person to even mention anything written by Rory Cooney is yourself:
    If it is any consolation to those who monitor these boards for whatever purposes, I may not use "Change our hearts" anymore, never have used "I, Myself....", but I do sing Rory's beautiful setting of the Naomi/Ruth "Song of Commitment" at the few weddings we take.

I'm wondering what you expected when you began this thread. A real discussion of Rory’s texts and tunes? And what has the thread produced so far? Zero comments on Rory’s texts and tunes, and very little about anything else that much matters. Some have tried to tell Rory how he should spent his time instead of composing. Some have bashed publishers, or bashed composers besides Rory who do not write certain kinds of music or who write in certain styles they do not like.

Probably the only good criticism a hymn writer or composer ever receives about his or her work is from close, knowledgable friends and from really good editors. Unfortunately, both are rare in real life. And the Forum is not a forum for friends and editors of composers and text writers. So why should there be any expectation of fair, honest, thorough - and charitable - criticism?

I do not know much of Rory’s music. In GIA’s four most recent hymnals his contributions are the following: Gather 3 – 15 entries; Worship IV – 2 entries; Lead Me, Guide Me-second edition – 1 entry; Oramos Cantando/We Pray in Song – 2 entries. OCP’s 2003 JourneySongs – 4 entries.

Rory’s 2005 “Heart of a Shepherd is a fine recent composition of his. Basically it is the Joseph Gelineau setting of Psalm 23 (using Gelineau’s own tone) with Rory’s lyric refrain, which expands on John 21:15:
    If you love me, feed my lambs; Be my heart, my voice, my hands. If you love me, feed my sheep. And for my part, I give you the heart of a shepherd.

I’d hazard a guess that this piece was sung at more ordination Masses this spring than almost anything else.
    Thanked by 1PeterJ
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • ronkrisman
    @MHI: Rory's two blogs on "So you think you want to write..." have to do with his experience as a composer and song writer. IMO, one cannot begin to get a handle on that without some reference to his songs and compositions.

Consequently, it is no surprise that there has been little if no development at all in this discussion.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My opinion is that the most interesting thing about those two posts of Mr. Cooney's are their insight into the music publishing liturgical-industrial complex and the way that a single artist interacts with it. The quality and content of Mr. Cooney's work is a worthwhile discussion, but it isn't this discussion (at least, it's not the one I'm more interested in). Good, bad, indifferent- RC is someone who has been (by any measure) successful in the mainstream Catholic music commercial publishing world, so his account of its ups and down is worthwhile, regardless of any objective or subjective judgements about how his work is good/bad/appropriate/stupid/amazing/the-best-thing-since-sliced-Byrd.

But that's just my opinion. On the advice of Friend Charles, I'm hoping to write a bit about my own perceptions of all this. That, of course, will just be my opinion too- so: probably worth slightly more than "I liked it," but considerably less than one of my jokes or funny poems.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Is it the tenor of the times that I find it difficult to bear a tone of a discussion that has strayed perhaps too close to personal comments, in spite of what I take to have been good intent on the part of the OP. After these base remarks of mine, I think I'd best use the worm to go bass fishing.
  • CharlesW
    Go fish. I think I played that game once. ;-)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Fr. Ron, it is interesting to have had two publisher insiders question my motives by perceiving the original post as an "attack" on Rory and/or his work. As a former teacher in jr/snr high and at the collegiate level, I'm constantly wondering if anybody actually reads, much less comprehends whatever's in their view?
    To answer your question, "what I expected" has been considered rather seriously by those who've commented thus far, and without the rancor that you and my other friend have projected would occur. As Adam succinctly states, RC's articles are of interest and worthwhile. I believe I have been as transparent about my interest, and I have my own stories about being on the other side of those 12 member gatekeeper panels in Oregon and Chicago, but I'm NOT going to insert myself into that equation. (Besides, I was not representing myself or my work, but that of a known artist for whom I arranged his last collection.)
    My quotes of only three of Rory's songs were mentioned only within the context of some of the upshots of Rory's observations in his article. And the one that was critically related was balanced a mention of appreciation for another song.
    So, where is the beef? Who is demonizing whom here?
    If everything that gets discussed here is monitored and regarded by what I mirthfully call "the loyal opposition" as the product of ignorant misanthropes, we might as well pack it all up and hunker down with romance novels at home.
  • ronkrisman
    Charles, please go back and reread my comment. I did not accuse you of attacking anyone. I did not refer to anyone's rancor or demonizing anybody or anything. (A reference to "bashing," yes, but not to demonizing.) I did not call for anyone to monitor the discussion.

I, like you, found Rory's statements to be "of interest." You say your expectations in initiating the discussion have been met. Well and good. I just don't understand what they were, that's all.