Misprint in Byrd 3-part Mass scores?
  • The choir of which I am a member is trying to learn all of the Byrd Mass for 3 voices. We have been using editions from CPDL. Having learned the shorter movements, we're about to embark on learning the Gloria and the Credo.

At the text Domine Deus, rex caelestis, at its first iteration, all the scores I have seen have a most uncharacteristic incidence of parallel fourths. This doesn't sound right, and is also a violation of the theory rules of the time, if I'm remembering correctly. Does anyone know what the score should read at this point?
  • Richard R.
    The attached is my reproduction of the ubiquitous Edmund Fellowes/Stainer & Bell edition, using more readable note values and barlines (if recent experience is anything to go on). The passage you reference does use parallel fourths, but I read them as a sort of modified version of fauxbourdon, the movement of parallel triads in first inversion. (In this case, the bass takes the middle note of the chord.) This is indeed characteristic of English polyphony (if a bit anachronistic by Byrd's time), and, I would argue, unavoidable given the three-voice texture.

The affected measure rendered in strict fauxbourdon would look something like the sample attached.
    Byrd_Mass3Voices.pdf
    Byrd_selection.pdf