Music for the Entrance of the Bride.
  • hartleymartin
    I would have liked to use the introit chant myself, but the selection is a legitimate application of "et alius cantus aptus." It was a bit tricky because we've got everything from very Traditional Catholics, right through to evangelical protestants attending. The couple are both college friends of mine. I organised the confirmation mass for one of them, who is a very recent convert to Catholicism. I organised their confirmation mass in the college chapel last year, and we stuck with principally English for the music as their parents were strongly anti-catholic.

According to the book by Bishop Peter Elliot on the Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite, there are several customary ways to begin the nuptial:

1.) Celebrant greets the bride and the groom at the door and they enter with the sacred ministers.

2.) Sacred ministers enter in procession to either silence or soft instrumental music and incense the altar. The bride enters with the introit chant and meets the groom at or near the sanctuary.

There is some other permission to allow for local customs. A number of weddings I have attended here in Sydney have had the introit chanted for the entrance of the sacred ministers and then some other music for the entrance of the bride, so it seems to be something of a local custom.

I'm somewhat inclined to agree with having the introit for the entrance of the sacred ministers and then a separate instrumental pieces for the entrance of the bride, although it does not strictly adhere to the books.

The couple agreed that we should sing the Gregorian Chant with it's attendant Psalm verses until about half the people have received communion (or a blessing) then move into the thanksgiving hymn.
  • canadashcanadash
    I think it is wonderful. She is so blessed to have you!
  • hartleymartin
    There's a fair bit riding on this as it is the first wedding I have done as a "Director of Music."
  • Paul_D
    No Gloria?
    Thanked by 2irishtenor costanzod
  • hartleymartin
    It's on a Friday during Ordinary Time, and we do have a strict time limit on the use of the church.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    On page 1177 of the Roman Missal (Third Typical Edition, Ritual Edition), under the heading "V. FOR THE CELEBRATION OF MARRIAGE", it reads: "The Penitential Act is omitted. The Gloria in excelsis Deo (Glory to God in the highest) is said."

Even during Advent, Lent, and every day of Ordinary Time. You could just speak it if you're worried about time constraints.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • Paul_D
    ICEL Gloria, with festive accompaniment (at a good clip), perhaps? A few seconds longer than saying it.
    Please think about it, given the importance of the Gloria.
    Thanked by 2canadash Ally
  • hartleymartin
    There hangs a question as to whether or not the Kyrie is actually a part of the penitential act. It has been the source of much debate and discussion.

In any case, the lack of a Gloria is mainly on the advice of a leading church musician and liturgist here in Sydney, Australia.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There hangs a question as to whether or not the Kyrie is actually a part of the penitential act. It has been the source of much debate and discussion.

The fact that people debate and discuss something has little to do with whether a matter is plain as all get out, which this issue is, if only people would stop being so ridiculous.

The Kyrie CAN be a part of the Penitential Act, and it can also not be a part of the Penitential Act. When it is not, it is said (or sung) separately.

the lack of a Gloria is mainly on the advice of a leading church musician and liturgist

Does this person not (how to put this delicately?) read the Missal?
  • Paul_D
    I would call your chancery / office of liturgy and find out what to do, rather than follow the advice of a leading church musician and liturgist.
  • hartleymartin
    Well, the person in question is from the office of liturgy. It may be that this hasn't come up with the New Edition of the Missal. If we have to insert it, we can always just chant the Missa de Angelis Gloria.
  • Can anyone suggest a serviceable edition of Pachelbel's Canon in D ... I've a relatively limited instrument to work with, so mostly manuals would be preferable?
  • davido
    The Oxford Book of Wedding Music for Manuals has a good Canon in D
  • CGM
    IMSLP has three | organ | editions,
    a harpsichord edition,
    and three | piano | editions.
    Perhaps one of these will meet your needs.
  • CharlesW
    Isn't the Pachelbel in the Diane Bish wedding book? I don't have my copy near the computer but I thought it was in there.
  • WGS
    Here, attached is a processional version of the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar. It might fit for your entrance for some occasion. It probably was used for my wedding fifty or so years ago before a faux bourdon introit of the Mass itself.

(Pardon the duplicate or the missing image. I'll have to look and see what shows up with this comment.)
  • Chaswjd
    For some off the beaten path pieces:

Jonathan Dove: My love is mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONjbEyn5qMM

Monteverdi: Ego flos campi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-3WP1ZXCi8

Both have texts from the Song of Solomon so no difficulty there.
  • francis
    Best alternative to any of the usuals... My own arrangement of Telemann I have been using for years. (This arrangement does not show octave displacement as heard in the mp3... take liberty and make it shine!)

Here's a good example of how it sounds for real, but I would make it a bit more majestic and pompous.

https://youtu.be/jNLHI0AXQ6c
  • ServiamScores
    Thanks for this, Francis.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Cmanfro
    St. Anthony Chorale by Brahms, perhaps - sight-readable