• Kathy
    Can't wait!!
  • Carl DCarl D
    T-6 days and counting....
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    So excited for it to be in the Midwest next year (we hope!!!) so Ben, Ally, Chuck, and I (and others) can invade the festivities! Have a great time in SLC, all!
    Thanked by 2Ally Ben
  • BenBen
    Don't forget aris, dad29, cberry, mark Thompson, heath, and others!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen irishtenor
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe we should work out a way to stream something or other to those who can't attend in person: maybe a keynote address? Carl, do you know anything about that sort of stuff?
    Thanked by 1elaine60
  • Chonak--if that's possible, that would be awesome. Money does not allow me to go and I'm dying over here!
    Thanked by 1magistra6
  • BenBen
    ustream. Laptop, camera and internet, and an audio connection to the sound system, if you want to get fancy. All you need to make my day. I understand it might even be possible from a mobile device that you could even prop up somewhere if nothing else.
  • Kathy
    That would be good. I'm afraid my personal av skills are are not up upto the job, seeing as I haven't yet mastered purple typing...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This is purple code:

<font color=purple>This is purple code:</font>

This is not purple code:

<font color=green>This is not purple code:</font>
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    Chuck, Chuck. Do you honestly think I can remember that for the next time I'll need it?
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Kathy, Kathy. Write it down on a post-it note. Or think "font color equal purple" ...
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Carl DCarl D
    Sorry, RC, streaming video is way beyond anything I've ever done. I've just scratched the surface of video, period.....
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If anyone is getting into town early and has nothing to do, please feel free to contact me. There is a group of about 5 of us getting in Saturday afternoon and will be having dinner together Saturday evening.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I know I'm always complaining ... sorry in advance ...

but why do we have to wait for this big "unveiling" regarding where it will be next year? The sooner the better for me to work it into budgets, etc.

NPM is in St. Louis next year; if the colloquium is closer, I'll come to the colloquium instead. But knowing as far in advance as possible is helpful.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Big unveilings make for exciting television.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Why not have the Colloquium at the same time as NPM--directly across the street and see how many convert we can get in a week? No that's not in purple; I'm serious--well sort of. NPM does have a chant division, perhaps we could reach across the aisle so to speak.

As much as I'd love to travel to SLC, having it in the Midwest would certainly make it more practical for me, so here's to hopefully attending in 2014!
  • CharlesW
    Some still talk about the time that Virgil Fox played the Wanamaker at the same time that the AGO convention had events scheduled. Hardly anyone went to the AGO events, they had all gone to hear Virgil.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    A few years back when NPM was in Detroit, the Latin Liturgy Association held their conference the week after it in Detroit. Several people attended both events.
    It's really not an either/or thing ... I've pointed out before that NPM has a lot to offer. I'm going this year and the breakouts that I've signed up for include one by Dr. Schaefer on Sacrosanctum Concilium and its vision for chant, as well as a couple on choral methods by Dr. Kemp.

The DMMD concert is going to feature works such as Paulus' "Pilgrim's Hymn."

There's good stuff there.
  • AOZ
    Regarding what someone called an "unveiling"

There is no direct intention to keep the information from people. But it is critical to have details and contracts and agreements and permissions and budgets and everything else that people never even think about on the consumer end tied up...before anything can be unveiled. :)

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Sorry, Adam, but I don't quite get what it is you want us to look for in the comparison ... except possibly the difference between a whale and a minnow.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the difference between a whale and a minnow.

Precisely.

It's important to remember that NPM could probably, if it wanted to, decide on and announce convention venues for the next decade.

Any frustration with CMAA's schedule, and relative ability to provide advanced notice on activities, should take into account the number of people working on such things.
  • gregpgregp
    Let's hear it for Arlene!
  • AOZ
    Legalism aside, I'll tell you now: next year is going to be fantastic!!!! :)
  • Yes, but that's always the case.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
    Sorry, but I had always gotten the impression that it was "calculated waiting." Sorry for misunderstanding.

Believe me, in my own parish, nothing gets under my skin more than people who sit back, contribute nothing, and just trash all the hard work that people are doing. Please don't let that be me!

Would it possible to say "pending finalization, subject to change, we are tentatively looking at hold it in ____?"
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • CharlesW
    PGA, the signs have to be observed, livers read, spirits summoned, and a whisky keg meditated upon. Then you will know.
  • I don't know when the best time to ask about a change of venue would be, but I'm thinking that our fantastic event planners are pretty busy right about now...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy- cant wait to see you!
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • chonakchonak
    I suppose it's not all up to CMAA. There are also multiple parties to the event, and it wouldn't be fair to them to announce the event before they've agreed on the specifications. If the negotiations were to fall through after we had announced them, it would make the other parties look bad, perhaps undeservedly.

Thanked by 2matthewj CHGiffen
  • Anyone flying in on Sunday in the late afternoon?
    Up for sharing transport to Little America?
    I arrive at 4:20 pm.
  • miacoyne
    Daniel, there's a shuttle at the airport to the hotel. Jenny and I will arrive on Monday and plan to take the shuttle.