Kevin Keil Good Friday General Intercessions - Rhythmic verses
  • AP23AP23
    Hello.

My favorite setting of the Good Friday General Intercessions is the one by Kevin Keil. When my church performs it, the intercessions sung by the cantor(s) follows a specific rhythm. I found a version on YouTube that's exactly the same. Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QAlEwPngo4

When I went to look up the song on OCP's website, the intercessions followed a chant tone, and not a rhythym. Does anybody know where I can get sheet music of the version with the rhythmic intercessions?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The rhythm in the video seems imposed by the performers, not in the score itself.

http://cdn.ocp.org/shared/pdf/preview/22856z4.pdf

Also, this strikes me as a particularly terrible approach to these intercessions, but that's just my opinion.

If they are sung a particular way at your church, ask your music director for a copy, or for additional information.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • AP23AP23
    This must be an existing publishment already. The keyboard accompaniment is the same as my parish. The verses are the same notes. It's not a coincidence they're the same.

Does anybody know where I can find this?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You already found it. It's by Kevin Keil and it is sold by OCP
  • AP23AP23
    Not the rhythmic verses one. Does anybody else know where specifically I can find it?
  • BenBen
    Evidently no one does. Have you contacted OCP.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    What in the world is going on in that video?
  • CharlesW
    Sounds like the church of St. Mary Pianolounge to me. The piece might be better with an organ accompaniment without the tinkly piano chords.
    Thanked by 2Gavin bkenney27
  • AP23AP23
    Yes, my church does it with organ. I suppose this parish in the video, either: doesn't have an organ, the accompanist doesn't play organ, or they don't want to use organ.
  • Liam
    Regardless about what one feels about the rest of the setting, I do feel duty bound to note that any accompaniment to the presider's orations is verboten (an instrumentalist can provide an incipit for pitch, by tradition). No soundtrack for the presidential prayers, as it were. (And I cannot imagine a liturgy where this rule is most appropriate than Good Friday!)
  • BenBen
    More illicit music from the publishers, as usual...yet another reason you can't trust many of these "catholic" publishers.
  • AP23AP23
    Since nobody can provide where to find sheet music, can you please draw your attention back to my latest comment on this discussion: http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/8996/composition-approval-process-when-to-copyright#Item_11
  • chonakchonak
    @AP23, if you still have questions for that other discussion, you can post them there, and that will automatically raise that discussion back into view.

Of course, at some point, the discussion will end when no one has any more information to offer.
  • cmb
    @Liam You are right on point. Aren't instruments supposed to either be silenced or only used to support singing from the Gloria on Holy Thursday to the Gloria at the Easter Vigil? This arrangement also seems to preclude the opportunity to kneel for silent prayer between the intercessions and the collects.
    Thanked by 2canadash eft94530
  • Call Kevin, ask him and tell him Noel said "Hello!"

Kevin Keil
    Liturgy and Music
    Phone: 972-625-5252
    E-mail: KevinKeil@holycrosscc.org
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I am saying this to neither promote nor oppose this approach, but this reminds me very much of "Godspell."
  • Godspell and Jesus Christ, Superstar became devotional music for the masses....and influenced the Mass when priests lost interest in separating devotions from liturgy.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Hmmmmm....
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've always like both Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar (as entertainment). I've never understood either their bizarre champions nor their curmudgeonly detractors. I like the movie McLintock, too- I wouldn't suggest it as an appropriate model of running a large cattle farm.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Hahaha. I'm a Theatre Music Director in addition to my liturgical profession and have done Godspell many times. I love it! But that's all I'll say about that.
  • What is the point to putting biddings to intercession in meter? I have never heard of anything sillier?
    And why would the biddings be accompanied, particularly during the Triduum, when the organ has traditionally been silenced? Perhaps in some places accompanying the people's singing may be necessary, but accompanying the ministers on Good Friday is absurd.
  • jclauer
    I know this is a really old thread, but I was kind of surprised nobody had the real answer to the original question. The sung intercessions in the video are from before the Roman Missal changes. The video is from Triduum 2011; the changes didn't take effect until Advent 2011. So when you looked on OCP's website and found the chant Kevin Keil one that is because he rewrote it using the new text and staying true to it. The one from the video didn't totally follow what had been in the Sacramentary, but things were a lot more lax before the new translation. You cannot buy the version in the video anymore.
    Thanked by 2chonak eft94530