Simple Gradual ICEL 1968 translation
  • Paul F. Ford
    If anyone wishes, he/she may download this document from my Dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7331043/Simple Gradual ICEL 1968 translation.pdf

It is 5.6 MB in size. It has my pencilled annotations throughout.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Many thanks!
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I notice that, according to the 1968 translation, some antiphons might have been in the 1967 Graduale Simplex, and not in the 1975 edition. For example, the communion antiphons of the Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit are different:

1968:
    Ant. 1: Be filled with the Holy Spirit; in your hearts make music and sing to the Lord. (Eph. 5: 18-19)
    Ant. 2: God will pour out his Spirit on all mankind. (Act. 2: 17; Ioel 3: 1)
    Ant. 3: Without measure is God's gift of the Spirit. (Jn 3: 34)

1975:
    Factus est repente de cælo sonus advenientis spiritus vehementis. (Act. 2: 2)

Are the three antiphons from the 1968 translation also actually in the 1967 Graduale Simplex? I just can't find any corresponding Gregorian antiphons.
    I'm curious about the chants for the Transfer of the Blessed Sacrament with the response "We praise and bless you."
  • Paul F. Ford
    ClemensRomanus, I am curious as well. I know of only one chant for the transfer, the pange lingua. Is there another?
    The 1968 ICEL lists a chant with 4 verses and the Response for the "Transfer of the Blessed Sacrament" (title given in the PDF) on Good Friday which is now done in silence. It looks to be based on the Adoramus te, Christe et al. from the 1955 reforms of Holy Week.

I found a nearby college which seems to have the 1967 Simplex, and hopefully I can drive out there and compare.
  • Paul F. Ford
    I'll try to get to the seminary library tomorrow and see for myself. Happy hunting!
    You too. If you find it, I'd love to see it and the Responsorial Psalms and Communion for Good Friday, since I won't be able to go for at least a week. The Communions for the Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit smvanroode mentioned and the Introit for the Mass for Vocations might be worth looking at, too.
  • Paul F. Ford
    You have yourself a deal.
    Thanked by 1ClemensRomanus
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Here's the chant for the transfer of the Blessed Sacrament from The Simple Gradual:

The verses are:
    1. [Omit A]
    We worship you, O Christ. R/

2. By your cross
    you have redeemed the world. R/

3. By a tree we were made slaves;
    by your holy cross we are set free. R/

4. The fruit of the tree led us astray;
    the Son of God has ransomed us. R/

And the Communion Antiphon (by Paul Inwood):

Then follows Psalm 22(21), without a Doxology. Alternatively, the Psalm may also be sung without any antiphon.

Judging from the English translation, the Gregorian antiphon could well be "Dominus tamquam ovis ad victimam ductus est, et non aperuit os suum" (Cf. Is. 53, 7). See AM 414:

I'm curious to what you will actually find in the 1967 Graduale Simplex, especially with regard to the responsorial psalm for the transfer of the Blessed Sacrament on Good Friday and the Communion Antiphon for the Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit!
    Thanked by 1ClemensRomanus
    Well, it appears that the seminary formerly had the '67 Simplex, but got rid of it recently. I'd still really like to see all of Good Friday, the Communions for the Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit, and the Introit for the Mass for Vocations.
    Dr. Ford, were you able to find a copy of the '67 GS?
  • Paul F. Ford
    The seminary copy is out on interlibrary loan and won't be back until mid-July.
    Ah, well. Thanks anyway. Until then...
    Having consulted with Fr. Ruff, it seems the Responsorial Psalms for Good Friday are indeed different, based on the Responsory/Tract of the 1962 Missal. The Transfer of the Blessed Sacrament back from the altar of repose on Good Friday also is based on the Adoramus te, Christe et al. of the '62 MR.

The Communion of the Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit is indeed the same as the '75 GS. For some reason, ICEL in the 1968 "The Simple Gradual" gives three antiphons, and none of them correspond to the Factus de repente of the '67 and '75. Similarly, the Introit for the Mass for Vocations is the same as the '75 GS, Tu es, Domine, and very different from what ICEL gives in "The Simple Gradual".
    Thanked by 1smvanroode
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Two questions for Good Friday remain:
    - does the '67 have a psalmus responsorius for the Adoramus te Christe?
    - has the '67 Dominus tamquam as antiphon for Communion, or is this an invention of ICEL?
    Yes to both, and I can send a scan if yo'd like.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Yes please!
    Sent.
  • Paul F. Ford
    Me too, please.
  • chonakchonak
    Feel free to post a PDF.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
    Here are the 1967 Graduale Simplex Good Friday chants.
  • RobertRobert
    Very interesting that the 67 Simplex includes a proper communion chant for Good Friday! Anyone have any guesses why this was eliminated in the subsequent edition?
  • Is the original document still available anywhere on this forum?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Thank you, and for the useful hand written notes on the redeloyment of texts following the Calendar changes.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • Thank you for sharing but I think I got confused. I though I was looking at a spanish simple gradual. That's what I get for reading too many feeds.... my apologies!
  • I just reposted this document to my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m77cg29mnddtyqv/Simple Gradual ICEL 1968 translation.pdf?dl=0

This link is currently broken. Could someone please upload it once again?
  • a_f_hawkins
    [REMOVED as the link has been restored, see below]
  • ronkrisman
    Most of my musical compositions between 1965 and 1969 were settings of the texts of propers as found in the interim Sacramentary. Most of my musical compositions between late 1969 and about 1975 were of proper texts found in the English translation of the Graduale Simplex. I stopped setting those texts because it did not appear that anyone else was interested in doing the same.

The source I used for the Englished Graduale Simplex was The Simple Gradual for Sundays and Holy Days (Geoffrey Chapman, London, 1969). I was not aware of the typewritten ICEL manuscript posted by Paul Ford in 2013.

Interestingly the Geoffrey Chapman book provides no evidence that the English translation it used therein had been approved by the Conference of Bishops of England and Wales and confirmed by the Apostolic See -- both actions required by liturgical norms. All it says is: "Concordat cum originali; John Humphreys, Secretary of National Liturgical Commission of English and Wales, 20 December, 1968." That wording does not constitute a canonical approval for use in the liturgy.

I do not recall that the NCCB ever approved the ICEL translation either. Perhaps it did. I could not find reference to such (necessary) approval in back issues of the BCL Newsletter. Is there, perhaps, evidence of such canonical approval (and confirmation by the then-CDW) in Notitiae? I do not have access to that resource.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    ICEL's comment that the liturgical use of the texts requires 'formal approbation' by each conference of bishops appears at the foot of page 11 of the typescript.
    The Society of St Gregory's Processional says both
    Compiled by the
    SOCIETY OF SAINT GREGORY
    with the approval of the
    Department of Christian Life & Worship
    of the
    Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales
    and
    For the Graduale Simplex antiphons, the 1968 ICEL translation is used, unless a closer translation of the Latin has been preferred.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Notitiae is online at http://www.cultodivino.va/content/cultodivino/it/rivista-notitiae/indici-annate.html but navigating it is not easy. There is an index at the end of each year, one of the irritations is that it gives page numbers, but does not say in which issue that page appears!
    Thanked by 2ronkrisman chonak