What are your methods of audition?
  • It can depend on the priest as well. At one of the parishes where I sing, the director is only allowed to audition for voice placement in SATB, not voice quality and she can't deny entry to the choir.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Alrighty then, all o' you goats on the left can now join in the Sheep Schola! (Implied pun alert.) And what the heck, if you're a donkey or a howlin' wolf, come on down as well!
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    At one of the parishes where I sing, the director is only allowed to audition for voice placement in SATB, not voice quality and she can't deny entry to the choir.

The priest has told the director this? It would be a deal breaker for me.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Yes, well although the choir draws more advanced singers, because the choir is a more advanced choir therefore pushing away those who would normally be interested in just singing in a unison choir (which is what I have seen for most parish choirs).
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Somehow I can't bring myself to dub unison singers a "choir." Chorus, yes.
    So, when I got to my current position in '93 and began an auditioned choir I turned the "Folk Group" into an "ensemble" of voices/instruments. Basically, it's a literal "Y'all come sing" chorus, you can wander into church and sing wid us any ol' time. And occasionally some of these folk acquire skills sufficient to move 'em on up to the big time. Interestingly enough, the only kerfuffles I've ever experienced are with these ensemble singers. The way I figure is the open door lets a certain number of "I'm just a-singin' for the Lord" devas (sp. intentional), and eventually their ego jes cain't stay put.