Fine Tracker Pipe Organ - appears to be redundant and available fast.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Charles, the Fisk IS really nice. If you wanted to, and you ever find yourself near Cleveland, I could put you in touch with one of the "ideologues who run the department" and I'm sure they would be happy to show it to you and let you play! hahaha

I don't necessarily agree with the shrieking. The only organ I ever played that shrieked was a tiny tracker at my undergrad school built by a not-famous builder. That thing was HORRIBLE! But I've never experienced an instrument like that at Oberlin. I think they are pretty much all musical.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    Good to know. As I noted, I haven't been in that area in a number of years.

If you are going to study with Todd Wilson, you are indeed fortunate. He is amazing! He has played some recitals in my area, and they were always wonderful.
    Well hopefully that changes sometime. It'd be nice to meet you.

Yes, I'm very lucky. I've only worked with Todd a little bit thus far, mainly surrounding my audition to CIM, but as I've gotten to know him, I've found that not only is he amazingly talented but has a great personality and sense of humor as well.

I think the next two years are going to be a BLAST ... unlike most of undergrad ...
  • CharlesW
    Maybe one day, I can visit that area again. Yeah, I hated undergrad. I had to play Bach most of the time. :-(
    I've been accused of playing Bach almost too much; this weekend will be Langlais and Mendelssohn. Next weekend Widor and Guilmant.

But for some reason, as much as I tell myself that I should like French classical music, because it is very "Catholic," as in written by Catholics for mass, I just don't care for it that much.

I don't know why but there's something "clean" and "clear" about Bach's music that I am drawn to. I'm sure that says something about me, but I'm not sure what.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm sure that says something about me, but I'm not sure what.

That you have good taste.
  • CharlesW
    I probably would like Bach more, if so much of his music had not been forced on me in college. His Lutheranism doesn't help, either, since some of his music is questionable for Catholic use. However, I do play some of his works, just not too many. I play French classical and French Romantic because I like the music, but there are many other types of music I like as well. JKF Fischer, Walther, Karg-Elert are some I play, too. I have always had a liking for the works of Flor Peeters but I can't explain why.
    Makes sense. He's got a lot of chant themes woven into his music though. And the "free" preludes and fugues are just freely composed organ music.

I like Walther; Never played much Karg-Elert.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Walther was a Lutheran ... why don't you have something against his Lutheranism?

Just asking.
  • As a former Anglican I must confess to being a little unsure why one pile of notes will be Protestant and another series of notes written a few hundred miles away would be Catholic notes.

The basis of Bach may often be Lutheran Chorales, but not all Catholic composers derived everything from chant - is a French Noel not suitable because it derives form a carol and not chant, or suitable because it was written by a Catholic?

Taken to an extreme does this mean we could play the London Bach's secular music during Mass (since he became a Catholic while in Italy) but not Johann Sebastian's church music?

I am very fond of the Classical French school - possibly because much of is within my rather limited abilities- but it can tend to be lightweight (Some pieces might be very suitable for accompanying your baroque liturgical dancers BTW). Leaving aside a differences in scale and duration, is using one of the jiggier and more frivolous verses from one of 18th century Livres d'Orgue really going to be more appropriate than a serious devotional piece of music which happens to have been written by a Lutheran?

Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>a little unsure why one pile of notes will be Protestant and another series of notes written a few hundred miles away would be Catholic notes

I've wondered the same thing, but I always assumed I just didn't know any better...
    Thanked by 1ghmus7
  • CharlesW
    Walther was a Lutheran ... why don't you have something against his Lutheranism?

Could be because I wasn't taught Walther by a despicable Lutheran! LOL. Another factor is that I don't like the sound of some of the instruments from North Germany, or the organ reproductions of that period in this country. They grate on my ears. Bach, specifically, can sound a bit cluttered to my ears, although as I mentioned, I do play some of his works.

Did I mention, btw, that I really like the works of Georg Muffat? I am playing his Toccata Undecima in a fall concert.

When I mention the Protestant influences in music for liturgy, I am generally referring to texts, not notes. I look at texts very carefully.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    by a despicable Lutheran!
    Despicable Lutheran? Really? Really? "LOL" aside, this seems rather disingenuous to me.

As a Roman Catholic convert, at the ripe age of 42, from Methodism, tempered by strong Anglican, Lutheran, and Ukrainian Catholic influences, I find it very troubling that some here belittle, denigrate, and otherwise slam people of other faiths, especially when such people, whether long dead or very much alive, are still our brothers and sisters in Christ who may not have had the blessing of faith as we see it, but still do not deserve derogatory treatment.
  • CharlesW
    Relax, we haven't burned any heretics in years. LOL. I freely admit to not caring a bit for Protestant theology. Luther, in particular was a nut case, I am sure. However, I am quite accepting of the people of other faiths and get along well with them. I worked in Protestant churches for years, and found many of their members had qualities Catholics would do well to imitate.

All that being so, I still look at texts by Protestant composers very carefully before using them in Catholic liturgy. For example, I look to see if there is a difference in the understanding of grace, the role of scripture, and the assignment of rights and powers to congregations and/or individuals that rightfully belong to the Magisterium. I tend to view that as part of my job as a Catholic musician.

Bach - still not my favorite composer, although I do play some of his works.
  • Another factor is that I don't like the sound of some of the instruments from North Germany, or the organ reproductions of that period in this country.

I am still not quite sure why the North German style came to be seen as the ne plus ultra of the Baroque organ movement. I think there's good chance that the rather "tart" sounding Schnitger-style northern organ wasn't really JSB's tonal ideal either. (Some instruments built at the peak of the revival took this style to extremes and resulted in organs that seem have gone well past tart to just plain acidic.)

Bach played on, say, a Silberman instrument is quite a different thing.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Silbermann organs are nice, and I much prefer them to those acidic instruments, too. Maybe the Lutherans were doing penance by listening to the Schnitgers, you think? LOL.
  • To be fair any contrapuntal music on some early 20th century organs can be rather like hearing Erik Satie transcribed for a Sousaphone quartet - it's probably all rather clever but completely misses the point.

I do wonder if the almost painfully bright sound of the North German style was so fundamentally different to what was common and usual that it became seen as an ideal to aim for rather than being one possible outcome of many?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    hearing Erik Satie transcribed for a Sousaphone quartet - it's probably all rather clever terrifying

fixed
  • lhouston58
    "I am still not quite sure why the North German style came to be seen as the ne plus ultra of the Baroque organ movement. I think there's good chance that the rather "tart" sounding Schnitger-style northern organ wasn't really JSB's tonal ideal either"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the Iron Curtain came down and East Germany opened up, scholars, organists, and organ builders from the west were able to study and play extant 17th and 18th century organs in Saxony and Thurungia ("Bach Country"). This essay by Stephen Bicknell explains it much better than I ever could (click on link below to read):

http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/JSB&organ.html

As far as I can tell, the only Schnitger organ JS Bach played was at the Jacobikrche in Hamburg where he applied for the organist's post. He did not get the position because he did not (or would not) pay the church 4000 Marks!

Thanks to James Kibbie at the University of Michigan, the entire works of J. S. Bach have been recorded and are available for free listening and downloading. Various organs of the period are employed including instruments by Schnitger, Silbermann, Hildebrandt, Trost, and Bielfeldt. All are wonderful organs and Kibbie plays them with great style. Have a listen:

http://www.blockmrecords.org/bach/

Yet another treat. Here's part of Boelmann's Suite Gothique played on the Hildebrandt organ in Naumburg. I like the sound, but then again I've heard Langlais and Messiaen played on a Silbermann, so the combination doesn't sound so odd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmVKoPFQLvU

• kevinfkevinf
    Congratulations on receiving the organ from Georgetown. i am happy its going to a Catholic parish. Anything to further the cause.....
  • CharlesW
    Yet another treat. Here's part of Boelmann's Suite Gothique played on the Hildebrandt organ in Naumburg. I like the sound, but then again I've heard Langlais and Messiaen played on a Silbermann, so the combination doesn't sound so odd:

I like the sound, too. I could live happily with that organ.
    Kevin, the original donor was involved in the discussions and wanted it to go to a Catholic institution as well.
  • Bud_Clark
    There are several misunderstandings that need to be cleared up.

"Catholic" organs didn't start accompanying congregational singing until relatively late.

The large west-end baroque organs in France played alternatim pieces and opening and closing voluntaries; the small orgues du choeur in the chancel accompanied the Chant.

In the 19th century, the schola disappeared, and the French Organ Mass took on its familiar Entree-Offertory-Elevation-Communion-Sortie form, as found in Tournemire's L'Orgue Mystique.

Nor can we look to "Lutheran" organs for guidance in building an organ to accompany congregational singing. As late as Bach's time, the congregation sang the chorales a cappella; the organist played a composed or improvised chorale-prelude to signal which chorale was to be sung, and to give the pitch.

Bach's few written-out chorale accompaniments are of interest because at Muhlhausen, they sang the chorales with organ, but that was the exception, not the rule.

If one looks at the final chorales of the cantatas, they were NOT intended to be sung by the congregation. Neither were the accompanied chorales in the Passions ... because of the high pitches, if for no other reason.

Spanish and Portuguese organs played alternatim and "battle" pieces.

Italian baroque organs were small, and gently voiced. They played alternatim pieces.

It's unfortunate that Cavaille-Coll was never permitted to build his massive west-end organ for St. Peter's in Rome. The difficulty of leading congregational singing in the Basilica post Vatican II is obvious ... the chancel organ is fair-sized, and boldly voiced, but it simply gets lost when the Basilica is full.

Having one organ, usually in the west gallery, to do EVERYTHING, probably originated in English and Irish Roman Catholic churches in the 19th century.

I would propose that 19th century English and American organs are probably the best models for organs to lead congregational singing. They were far from "tubby," and American builders knew how to build for dry acoustics.

The "tubbiness" came with electric action, fan blowers, and the tonal ideas of Hope-Jones (and others), and produced the "orchestral" organ. No longer restrained by the limitations of size, placement, and the maximum wind-pressure that the tracker action would allow before the key action became too heavy, the sky was the limit ... vide the seven-manual Midmer-Losh behemoth in Atlantic City ... the highest wind-pressure there is 100 inches (!).

• CharlesW
    I agree on the 19th century English and American organs. They are still great church instruments. Those large, high-wind auditorium organs were not built for church use.

Cavaille-Coll in St. Peters? Can you imagine how grand that would have been.
  • lhouston58
    Bud,

Many thanks for an excellent post! The virtues and advantages of 19th century American tracker organs are lost on many organists these days. This Hook & Hastings organ rebuilt by Bradley Rule of Newmarket, TN is a fine example of a small 19th century workhorse tracker organ capable of accommodating just about any music you want to sling on the music stand! Have a look:

http://www.covenanthouston.org/our-organ.html

and a listen:

http://www.covenanthouston.org/organ-music.html

All this from a 9 rank organ. Hats off to the Hooks and Mr. Hastings!

As for the proposed Cavaille-Coll in St. Peter's, Rome, the links for the stop list and a picture are below:

http://cdmnet.org/Julian/schemes/props/rome.htm

• francis
    o jeez... the Hildebrandt is just glorious! how could anyone not be enthralled with that sound.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • lhouston58

Well, the St Peter's specs from PIPORG-L didn't transfer very well here, but it is just as well since the Naumburg Hildebrandt interests me more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GGFkFZJM-Y
  • hartleymartin
    I agree that late 19th century English organs make excellent all round instruments. Lovely diapason and flute choruses. Quite often an excellent dulciana (string celeste is useful when it is present) and hopefully a nice trumpet or oboe, and you've got all your basics covered for liturgical music.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    The Case library has the proposal/prospectus for this organ, and I've noted it as something to be digitized, as apparently it hasn't been by anyone else.
  • lhouston58

More wonderful pipe organ news. St Benedict Catholic Church, Richmond VA purchased a Pasi tracker a few months ago. The organ had been up for sale for a few years and has found a good home. Click on the link for more details:

http://saintbenedictparish.org/church/pipe_organ.php

Another Bedient organ has recently landed in a Catholic church:

http://www.bedientorgan.com/2010/01/12/opus-8-developments/

The local public radio station ran a story about Bedient Op. 8, and here it is:

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/netradio/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=1591841

• CharlesW
    Resurrecting an old thread, but my May 2014 copy of "The Diapason" arrived yesterday. It noted that the Georgetown Bedient was relocated to Mary, Queen of Peace Catholic Church of Cleveland, Ohio. Has anyone heard it, or know of any future YouTube videos that might be posted? I am curious as to how it sounds there.
    I can hopefully post a video or sound file later.

It's divine in that space!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW