Can the Gradual be sung in English in the OF?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I will admit I was being legalistic in my interpreation. Honestly, I may have done so in part merely to provoke a response - as sometimes it seems necessary around here to garner enough varied opinions on OF issues.

I do not believe it to be forbidden to chant the Gradual to a psalmtone in English in the OF, but I would hope that I (and others) have at least put forth some argument that of all the propers chants in the OF, it seems that the Gradual is the least satisfactory to be handled in such manner, where so many other equally- or more-appropriate options exist.
  • JahazaJahaza
    4. I've read nothing in the GIRM that says the Gradual can only be sung in Latin and not any other language. This would seem to fly in the face of common praxis of the last 45 years.

Well if you're looking in the GIRM, you're looking in the wrong place. The problem is not with the Gradual, but with the fact that there is no approved translation of the Gradual. That liturgical translations require approval is the practice of the last 45 years.

Arguably, when the text of the Gradual is drawn directly from psalmody, you could use the same text from an approved (for liturgical use!) version of the psalms.

• ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    We use the translation of the 1965 Roman Missal.
  • davido
    What would it take to get an “approved” translation of the gradual/tract texts? What office handles this?
  • davido
    What translations of the gradual chant did they use in the Graduale Parvum?
  • chonakchonak
    The gradual text is almost always Scripture, isn't it? So use a Scripture translation approved for liturgical use: so at least there are the lectionary texts and the Abbey Psalms. The 1963 Grail Psalms are also approved for a current liturgical book, so that's another source.
  • a_f_hawkins
    chonak - there is the complication that GR still has pre-Vulgate verses, while approved scripture texts in English are translations of either the Vulgate, or the NeoVulgata (or the textus receptus?). These are usually identical, but not always.
    Similarly, the 1965 English does AFAIK translate the GR of that time, in current GR a few texts were eliminated (for lack of pedigree) and some authentic texts were added/restored.
  • a_f_hawkins
    davido - There is a Processional which seems to have appoval here.
    Compiled by the
    SOCIETY OF SAINT GREGORY
    with the approval of the
    Department of Christian Life & Worship
    of the
    Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales
    When the Bishops’ Conference Department for Christian Life and Worship received the Processional they not only approved the project but welcomed the intention that the processions at Mass should accompanied by song taken from the scriptures. I am grateful to John Ainslie and the Society of St Gregory for drawing this collection of texts together and I hope that it will inspire composers to create new songs and chants to enrich the liturgy.
    Rt Revd Alan Hopes
    Chair, Liturgy Committee
    Department for Christian Life and Worship
  • GerardH
    @a_f_hawkins Fixed link here: http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Missal/Music/ProcessionalBook.pdf

However, this only has Entrance, Offertory and Communion texts, no Graduals.