Divine Praises in Latin
  • expeditus1
    Previous threads have included copies of notation for the Divine Praises sung in English. Does anyone have access to notation for the Latin version of the Divine Praises? Organ accompaniment is always welcome, as well.
  • tomjaw
    Now which version? I was asked to set this for a hymn book last year, I think I found 4 or 5 different melodies, and a couple of differences in the text! I re-typeset two of the version which are attached below.

Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • expeditus1
    Thanks tomjaw! Ignorant question on my part, but are "Amen" and "Fiat" interchangeable?

Here's a Vatican recording:
  • Felicity
    expeditus1, thank you for putting up this Vatican recording.

We have been singing the Laudes Divinae (with no repeats) in a version very close to those given by tomjaw' for three years. The priest chants the first half up to the half bar and the congregation finishes each line. It ends with Fiat, fiat.

fiat is Latin
    amen is Hebrew
    so be it is English

The Vatican version in the recording is really beautiful. I am going to try to transcribe the melody. Composing an accompaniment is probably beyond my capability at present. Is there anyone out there who can listen to this and take a dictation of the accompaniment? I would be most grateful.

Deo gratias!
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • tomjaw
    In this style of prayer, Fiat is usually used at the end, as found in the Christus Vincit.

I have found very little music for the Divine Praises, I have looked through many chant books that have a vast number of pieces for Benediction, but no music for the Divine Praises. I have not seen any accompaniments, I know our Organists would ask for the chant music and ad lib. an accompaniment from that.

Looking through my notes from setting the above, I have found one of the versions I did not set the "Melodia solemnitor" Will try to find time to set this and post it on this thread.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • MHIMHI
    The melody transcribed by tomjaw originates, as I understand, from the Abbey of Maredsous (Belgium). I have--somewhere--a mode vii setting, but--even if I knew where it was--it is very old and thus lacks some of the more recent additions. I have noticed that some Latin versions have magna Mater Dei, while others have excélsa Mater Dei. I suppose that the original is Italian.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • expeditus1
    I'm bumping an old 2008 thread. francis had posted his own accompaniment on here (both English and Latin versions):