Organ processional
  • Ally
    I'm looking for an organ march or something to play when our Confirmation candidates and sponsors process into the Church, which is before the actual procession with the Archbishop (because we have 150 candidates!)

I was told by a couple of choir members and the other DM I am collaborating with for this that the organ processional I chose sounded too "wedding-y".

So, can anyone out there recommend a not-too-difficult, stately, organ march of some kind that fits?? I do have time to practice in the meantime, so it doesn't have to be "sight-readable" I suppose.

Free is nice, though if it is the right piece, I will buy it, if it can be obtained by TUESDAY.
    Thanks!!
  • kevinfkevinf
    Karg-Elert "Nun danket" (Now Thank We All Our God). Could work nicely.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • Ally
    That's true. And...I was already going to play it as the postlude! So maybe I'll just move things around.
    Thanks!
  • jpal
    A good adaptable processional is Bach's "Piece d'Orgue" (Fantasia, BWV 572). "Nun danket" is a great piece but I prefer things that I can end with 10-15 seconds notice. Usually I ignore the toccata sections at the beginning and end.
  • This is perhaps not quite what Ally asked for, however, Carl F. Schalk wrote a very fine "Creator Spirit" for Choir, Congregation, Organ, Brass & Tympani. It utilizes the familiar chant (in English) and the German chorale based on it. The choir or schola sings verses of the chant alternating with the congregation singing the chorale. It is a very accessible setting for a very long procession and works very well as a lead-in to the introit as the ministers approach the sanctuary. I highly recommend it for Confirmations or Pentecost. If you need a very festive piece that "wears well," check it out.
  • For a similar event, I'm using the 3rd Movement from Vierne's Trois Improvisatons (transcribed by Duruflé).
  • Wow, I don't know where my mind is today, but I totally meant to type "Marcia from Widor's 3rd Symphony". The Vierne is grand too, but too much of a waltz for a procession.
  • henry
    How about "War March of the Priests" (Mendelssohn)?
  • CharlesW
    Like the "War March..." One of the earliest organ pieces I learned to play. The Widor march is also nice.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    I'm very fond of the late 19th-century German organist-composer Carl Piutti, whose chorale preludes, including Gott ist mein Lied, are quite often highly useful for such purposes. Said chorale preludes tend to be tricky but not overwhelmingly difficult, and since Piutti died in 1902 they would presumably be in the public domain by now (although my copy of them is an expensive Bärenreiter edition).

Meanwhile, perhaps this rather longer piece by Piutti - which is definitely available for free - would serve?

http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/6/63/IMSLP33750-PMLP76461-Piutti_-_Fest-Hymnus__Op.20.pdf
    Thanked by 1Chris Hebard