How did you hear about chanted liturgical music? what got you going?
  • rollingrj
    A "virtual" acquaintance (we only "knew" each other as part-time 'bloggers, members of an on-line dating website, and through a social media site) brought to my attention the 2010 Winter Chant Intensive being held in her hometown. An increase to a credit card limit allowed me to register before the deadline and attend. Scott Turkington's masterful instruction made me a believer. The rest is history.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I grew up in a parish that, while not "chant-oriented," was otherwise very much "say the black, do the red," so I gained some liturgical snobbery from that. Then, when I went to college, I decided to major in organ, as I had always been involved in "church music" in some form or another.
    For my first church job, while still in college, I knew as much as, "Haugan/Haas stinks, hymns are better, and we are supposed to do the 'proper' texts for the responsorial psalms; not changing words."
    Around that time, I was also becoming friends with some of my fellow Catholic music school undergrads, and we bonded over the musical superiority of our Catholic heritage, and in particular, some of their excitement over things like chant, polyphony, and chant-based repertoire spilled over to me. (H/T to J. Balistreri!)
    Also around this time, I came across Aristotle's website (although of course I didn't know that at the time,) along with the NLM blog.
    Soon after, I was hired into my next job, by a pastor who was (and still is) passionate for good music and good liturgy, although we literally worked through figuring out what that was, together. We both had to learn, since neither of us really knew. He sent me to the Colloquium in (I think?) 2007. (The last one in DC.) And the rest is history...
  • RachelR
    Our schola’s efforts are completely due to the internet. It all started in January last year when the NCRegister’s site published a glowing review of a CD for the Mass of a different rite. I was curious and went to look it up and listen to it, and was stunned by the beauty and the power of the sung liturgy. (A Millennial, I grew up with only G&P and OCP songs at masses, and had never heard the priest sing any of his prayers during Mass.) I did not know that the Mass could sound so beautiful, or that the readings and Gospel and prayers could be sung. Completely blown away, I wanted to have that beauty in the Masses I attended. But how?
    The only thing I knew at the time was that I was a Latin Rite Catholic, and that this rite has a sacred music tradition, too, called Gregorian chant. But I was totally and completely unfamiliar with it. So, I did an internet search: “How to sing Gregorian chant.” This brought me to an ehow article that linked to the “Idiot’s Guide to Square Notes” at the St. Cecilia Schola Page. I read it, and then I read all the other articles there on how to start learning chant and how to start a schola. (I can’t even express how excited and inspired I was! “How to Start a Garage Schola” had me planning to get a schola organized within the next few days.) By February we had our group started and were learning chants from "Jubilate Deo" that had been posted on the St. Cecilia website! From there I learned about CMAA and CCWatershed, which we use constantly.
    I want to say thank you to all of you who are responsible for composing, creating, and organizing these wonderful resources. Without it, we would not have a schola at our church. We would not know about sacred music, or how to sing it, or why it’s so important. May God bless all of you for your hard work and constant dedication!

Thanked by 1Mark M.
  • Nashville Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia told me about the Propers. Later a parish priest handed the choir a copy of the SEP. We had always sung devotional chants and "solid hymns" at our parish, but were clueless that Propers existed for the Novus Ordo Mass.

Once we started chanting the Propers at Mass, "traditional" hymns started sounded profane in comparison to the sacredness of chant.
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • matthewjmatthewj
    A Canadian vs American version of these stories would be quite interesting. I'm of the thinking that there are many roads to chant in the USA - with many (but not all) being quite pleasant; while in Canada there are a select few roads that are guarded by trolls and one encounters falling rocks and possibly demons on the way.
  • Ally
    Since you mentioned Canada...
    I am fortunate, in that at about 12 years old, we began attending the FSSP parish in Calgary, so that's where I first experienced it! My mom gave me a Liber, my dad has been buying me missals and chant books ever since. I also often attended the Byzantine rite in high school, and couldn't believe that these two places had such incredible music, and yet in the OF we had been at previously sang out of a disposable missalette.

When I moved to the US in 2004 for school, I didn't really know where to go to for "a good Mass", and when I started playing at a Catholic parish, it was to accompany the youth rock band and play a couple hymns on the organ on Sundays. There was no such thing as propers or chant...I even went to a conference from the other organization, and went to their chant intensive. But even that was not the same. I had been reading Mr. Tucker's articles for years (my dad would even clip them out and mail them to me at university...awww) and started checking out the CMAA website more seriously, especially when I became a DM at a rural parish, and encountered resistance to the sacred. Then I was sent to study at the Liturgical Institute (yay!).

The internet and my studies showed me SO much more for the OF, more than I guess I thought was possible. And of course, the internet makes it wonderfully possible to follow all of my colleagues at the LI and actually use their material (thank you Adam). So, inspired by these examples, I decided to actually try and use some propers. I honestly don't know if I'd be able to do the same back in western Canada...though I am in an interesting diocese here :)

It is amazing what this community has produced and made available for use. Thank you to the FSSP/schola/choir in Calgary for their hard work for so many years, and to all of you so much for your efforts!
  • Hi Jeffrey - I became interested in liturgical chant in stages. You could always find some chant being sung in churches in New Orleans, even in the 1970s but not the Propers only the Ordinary chants of the Mass. When we moved to Michigan in 1985 that was gone. I remember asking the organist/choir director of our parish here in Royal Oak why we didn't sing any Gregorian Chant and his answer was that it wouldn't sound very good because people no longer knew how to sing chant. When we found our current parish in 1995, Assumption Grotto in Detroit the men were already singing the Propers, albeit often the Rossini. Holy Week was a blast however as the men and women got to sing lots of chant, even the simple psalm tones were a major breath of musical fresh air.

I started teaching at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in 2001 and met Cal Shenk who had been hired by our then Rector now Arch-bishop Allan Vignoran to teach the seminarians Gregorian Chant specifically, and my education began in earnest. I took private lessons with Cal in 2005 in order to teach chant at the seminary myself. In 2007 my pastor, Rev. Eduard Perrone, began our Sunday Extraordinary Form Mass and the men attempted to learn all 5 Proper Chants. After a few years it became evident that the full Gradual and Alleluia/tract were just too much for them to master in the time frame they had to practice and so I was approached to start a ladies chant choir specifically to sing these beautiful contemplative Chants. What a blessing it has been and I thank Corpus Christi Watershed for their invaluable help in providing links to most of the sung chants.

Of course this forum and MusicaSacra specifically have been a great help and support over the years as I have grown in my understanding of Gregorian Chant and English chant as well. Last year I was thrust into the full time position at Sacred Heart while Ron Prowse was on sabbatical and this forum was very helpful with that task as well. I think the single biggest and most influential person outside of my Pastor was Cal Shenk. His love for Gregorian Chant was inspiring and of course he was very much a part of this organization. God bless all of you on this forum!
  • canadashcanadash
    When I was in highschool I had the privilege of singing with a women's group where the conductor loved good classical music. Chant was part of this. The first one I learned was "Ave Maria". I picked up more chant here and there over the years. In university we sang quite a bit of Anglican Chant in our "Chapel Choir" which I appreciated. I remember going to a World Youth Day Mass in Toronto where the parts were sung in Latin Chant. I was impressed that everyone, from across the globe, could sing them together. We have a new pastor who insists on Chant as the responses at Mass and has a "Gregorian Choir" which sings many of the original Gregorian propers. Now it is ingrained and I love it.
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • I heard about it through studying and singing some chant and lots of polyphony at SDSU.
    But as far as parishes in my area, sacred music was outside my experience.
    Then a (now priest) friend told me about the Colloquium, and I went 10 years ago.
    I thank God for CMAA.
  • JennyJenny
    I grew up in parishes that did both contemporary music and traditional hymns, but I always had a greater fondness for the traditional side. In college, I was the only one who sang both with the 'folk group' for Mass and with the concert choir. Was a cantor for many years, doing the full gamut of styles (well, not the really casual stuff).

About a dozen years ago, I found myself increasingly spiritually unsatisfied by what I was doing with a growing feeling that my musical offering was no longer pleasing to Him. Long story short, He pushed me onto a seeming desolate road, where I studied Church documents online and poured over CDs and books (like Dr. Marier's A Chant Master Class). I also remember reading Aristotle's blog with great interest. Then I found the CMAA and my first Colloquium in 2006. That's when I knew I had found what I was looking for.

The little experience I had made me bold (dumb?) enough to volunteer to help with the music at our parish's first-ever EF Mass in 2008. Information I got from online editions of the chant and instruction from those on the forum were invaluable. (I didn't have all the right books and didn't understand many of the written instructions.) While I now have most of the chant books in hard copy, I still use the online editions frequently as well as the web-based sites like CCW. None of this would have gotten off the ground without the online accessibility.
  • mahrt
    Ruth,

We remember Cal Shenk very well from the times that he was the organist and accompanist for the Colloquia held at Christendom College. His musicianship and sensitivity in both liturgical and rehearsal situations was exceptional.

I congratulate you for singing he gradual and alleluia; these melismatic chants serve the function of meditation and preparation for hearing the Gospel in a most beautiful way. Singing them is completely legitimate, and should be explored by every serious church musician.
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • I remember hearing chant and classical polyphony on 33 1/3's as a child. As an under- graduate sacred music major I got an intensive introduction to chant & polyphony from an historic viewpoint. Of course, classes in 16th century counterpoint cemented a true admiration for Palestrina. During graduate school, I had the good fortune of working under and studying with Msgr. Martin B. Hellriegel, who taught me a great love for the chant and sacred liturgy. That was the first time that I was exposed to the sacred chant as the normative expression of worship and adoration. (However, those faithful Germans at Holy Cross were probably as good as, if not better singers of hymns and chorales than any Lutheran congregation in Saint Louis!) It was at that time that the St. Louis Jesuits were holding forth at the College Church. In the turbulent 1970's, things changed drastically. The Archdiocesan Priests Choir gradually dispersed, guitars became the standard in most parish churches and a wave of "puritanism" in music & liturgy spread across the country. It would have embarrassed Oliver Cromwell, who managed to dismantle organs all over England, destroy choir libraries, vestments and anything else that could be construed as "Catholic" or "Anglican." After years of finding sanctuary in
    Episcopal churches that appreciated chant & polyphony, I came "home" to a wonderful
    parish where I could again use chant & polyphony both English & Latin, along with hymns and settings by Proulx as well as H & H! We moved to California to what I thought
    was going to be my "dream Job." However, after a few years on the job, I was forced to
    look elsewhere. My crime was getting local university students involved in our program and pushing out our talented volunteers who didn't need to rehearse a lot to sing solos.
    They were down-trodden that "Fly Like a Bird" was never done, but a children's choir of 35-40 kids were being "forced" to sing irrelevant stuff that was "condemned" by Vatican II. Needless to say, I found a much better place! A pastor who jokes that not only are we reading the same book, but are frequently on the same paragraph. My first Christmas at
    Saint Edward, the pastor gave each member of the choir a Gregorian Missal as a Christmas present! Nearly eight years later, we have a broad musical ministry that includes different choirs, including a children's choir and solemn mass choir that are now able to sing several chant ordinaries. At the Missa Cantata, we now sing the full proper from the Graduale, are in the midst of a multi-year project of learning the 5-part Offertoria of Palestrina, and learn also truly wonderful music by serious contemporary composers. I offer this as a word of hope for those who might be suffering for their art right now. Don't ever give up hope. Great art will always be the exception, rather than the rule. Remember the words that Msgr. Hellriegel used to say to the Children after an intense rehearsal for a great feast: "We don't practice in order to put on a show, but rather, that we might offer the best worship of which we are capable at that moment and so that nothing we do will detract from the worship experience of the person in the pew;
    because that person is not a theologian and his or her experience of the Divine comes through the sights, the sounds and even the touch of the sacred liturgy."
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • Mike R
    I was in my junior and senior years of high school when I was first really becoming interested in my faith, mostly through what they called back then an "e-zine" for Catholic youth called Onerock Online. It was kind of similar to what phatmass is now, with forums, etc. Quite a few of the other teens involved were traditionalists, and we were reading Chesterton, etc. One of the others is actually now one of the first priests at the new Oratory in Cincinnati. At the time, I was director of my parish's youth choir and was quickly becoming disenchanted with the standard fare. For the most part my parish didn't do anything too outlandish, but it just was (and largely still is) painfully banal. My increasing view was, "If we REALLY believe that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist, why don't we act like it?"

This was in the Jubilee Year of 2000, and the big diocesan celebration was an outdoor Mass at the state fairgrounds for Corpus Christi. They actually cancelled all Saturday evening anticipatory Masses throughout the diocese for this, which I realize now as an adult is almost pastorally unthinkable. I don't remember the music being anything to really write home about, but the Eucharistic procession at the end was what really captured my interest. I don't recall ever hearing Latin OR chant to that point. Our parish always skipped the sequences (in fact, I went to Easter Sunday Mass there for the first time in many years, and they still did not do the Victimae), and did the English Pange lingua for Holy Thursday. I was quickly hooked, although I basically had no outlet for my interest until going to college and discovering that there were other real-life Catholics interested in this stuff.
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • Darcy
    The first time I heard of Gregorian chant as actual liturgical music was when my pastor introduced the Jubilate Deo ordinary chants at daily Mass. He told us about Latin being the language of the church, and Gregorian chant being encouraged by Vatican II. I read more about this as a theology student, and experienced it at the same time, since my classes were held at a Twin Cities parish that incorporated chant and polyphony at their main Sunday Mass. I became interested in learning more, and a seminarian at our parish obliged a friend and I by teaching us to chant the Pater Noster and Ave Maria. We also had a small group that chanted morning prayer together before daily Mass.

It wasn't until several years later that I was drawn into authentic sacred music for good. After getting married and moving out of state, then moving our family back, I was in my old parish listening to the "four-hymn sandwich" with an occasional motet sprinkled in, when something told me there had to be more to sacred music than this. As it happened, the organist/music director shortly left for a new job and I helped fill in until his replacement came. Around that time a friend told me to listen to recordings by the Cambridge Singers. Polyphony hooked me then, and chant came next. I dusted off my theology skills and dug into the church documents for concrete proof that there really was more to sacred music than what I was hearing at my parish. Our new pastor was more than willing to go along with my idea of starting a little schola to introduce the singing of proper chants at Mass. I found a group of about a dozen people who wanted in on the scheme. I photocopied the Square Notes article and a Latin pronunciation guide for them, and leaning on recordings from St. Benedict's Monastery in São Paulo, Brazil, we started out with the Communio and sang our first introit on Laetare Sunday as our pastor preached about what the introit is and how it is meant to be sung at every Mass.

That summer I attended the CMAA colloquium in Washington D.C. It was so encouraging to realize how alive the sacred music movement is! Back at my parish, the previous music director returned and much to my amazement seemed to know all about the Church's teaching about Gregorian chant. He continued what my little schola had started and grew a flourishing program whose highlight was singing chant and polyphony in Rome.