How did you hear about chanted liturgical music? what got you going?
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I'm writing a paper in which I'm crediting online chant editions for the chant revival, and I'm suddenly realizing that I sort of take this for granted but I don't think I have any actual testimonials or even evidence to back my claim at all.

Does anyone have a personal story? I recall that Adam Bartlett told me that the first time he became interested in chant was 2007 with the Liber upload.

Can you please share?
  • BenBen
    I first became interested when I began a weekly Saturday morning Mass at a Parish across town several years ago (probably about 5 years ago), where Aristotle Esguerra (a fellow forum member) chanted the gregorian propers along with the Jubilate Deo ordinary (he was the new MD at that time). That got me going toward the direction of chant, and after a few months, I had ears for chant and enjoyed it, and it really lead me to prayer.

The next year, I was in his class, and while I learned so much in the class (and still do), I have been able to learn so much more on my own with all of the chant resources online at MS, Watershed, and other places. It has only been in the last year or two that I actually started buying hard copies of many of these books. Now I have a GR, GS, PBC, VII Hymnal, Chabanel book, BFW, Mundelein psalter, and more. Never would have happened if I couldn't have first looked through them (at least some of them) and learned from them online first. Those that I bought that did not have online previews (BFW, Mundelein, etc...) I only bought after viewing a copy in person.

Simply from a business standpoint, I think it makes a ton of sense to put the chant books online, and also from a spreading chant point of view.

From a business point of view, people can look through the book, and even use print-outs for a while, but that gets tiresome, and if they find real value in the book, they will likely buy it. If they don't, they probably only would have bought one anyways.

From a spreading chant point of view, it's awesome as well. Those who can't afford the books can always access the content when needed, but those who have the means to buy the books will probably eventually buy them.

It's a win-win.

How's that, Tucker? :D
  • hartleymartin
    My preferred set of music for mass is to use a hymn at the entrance, a suitable motet at the offertory, a chant at communion, where if suitable, followed by another hymn or motet. Marian antiphon at the recessional, particularly on Marian feasts, and then an organ postlude. That's not to say that I don't deviate from this. When I can't have motets, I often chant the introit and then have a hymn at the offertory. I try to use simple chant ordinaries that people can sing along with as well as always singing the responses and the our father or pater noster.

Even then I always look to the chants for inspiration when having to choose hymns or motets. As much as possible I use something that matches or is similar to the propers. If I can't get that, at least I aim for something which is thematically similar. For example, if it is a Psalm praising God, then I might use "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty", or if its about God being our help and strength then "O God Our Help in Ages Past". Of course, at communion there are many good eucharistic hymns suitable for this part of the mass, and if it is a particular season or feast, hymns suitable to this are chosen. THIS method seems to be the best application of "et alius cantus apt us"
  • I remember chant as a child when the Tridentine Mass was the order of the day. I joined a choir that did a very limited amount of chant but it was enough to spark a flame and the blaze has been raging at increased intensity ever since! With the Simple English Propers, I no longer get complaints from the parishioners that they cannot understand the language. It is now appropriate to maintain the sacred while the faithful can fully participate by listening to the word of God.
  • I first learned about chant ca. 2001 from friends who had connections with Fr. Fessio and Ignatius Press. In the late 1990s Ignatius Press published their hymnal and along with it a CD set containing most of the chants it contains. These friends were a bit activist about celebrating the liturgy the right way and arranged a for a chant workshop at our house. My direct involvement in singing chant at Mass began 5 years later in connection with the traditional Latin Mass. Ignatius Press, and also the Adoremus Society, influenced many to accept chant as the native musical form for the liturgy in the late 1990s to early 2000s.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I'm a convert who entered the Church in 1985, so I have no history of pre-Vatican II. Somewhere around 2005, our DM started up a Chant choir with under the directorship of another gentleman, and I thought it would be something interesting to learn, so I joined. A year later, he left the post, having become overburdened with church obligations. They were looking for a new director, and I thought "why not?"

The following summer I attended Fr Columba Kelly's wonderful workshop, then proceeded to be involved with Colloquia in 2008, 2009, and 2010. It's been an incredible learning journey throughout - not only with the music itself, but what it's given me with a deeper understanding of my faith and that of the Church.
  • Jen
    I was in the process of switching career paths from University administration (Environmental Health and Safety) to being a DM. (I was always involved as a pianist/musician/cantor in part-time/volunteer positions on the side). From my previous line of work, I was used to looking up the regulations to determine how something should be done, so I began to dig into the GIRM to understand the instructions for music in the liturgy. I looked at the first choice for Entrance, Offertory and Communion and wondered what the Graduale Romanum was. A google search lead me to the MusicaSacra website, which opened up a whole world of resources. What really clinched it for me was attending the Colloquia in 2010 and 2011.

From my experience and from what I've read here - I would credit chant revival to being equally fostered by online resources, in addition to things like the Colloquium, Chant Intensives, etc. because you can have all the books you want online - if you don't get a chance to hear it in person and work with someone who knows what they're doing... the average person is not going to go very far with it.
  • My brother worked for a progressive liturgical publishing house in the late 1990s and brought home a handful of CDs one day -- I believe they had been clearing out their warehouse. One of the discs was a Paraclete Press cut of the Solesmes monks singing Maundy Thursday Tenebrae. That was permanently in my CD player for a long time.
  • While I was a server in high school (I think that is when it happened) the music director walked into the sacristy to ask Father something about a hymn, to which he replied that the hymn was the "fourth option." This made me curious as to what the other options were. Eventually I found out these other options included the chants and was rather incredulous to why there was not more interest in them since they are the liturgically preferred option. When it came time to write my senior research paper for my bachelor's degree in music, I considered a chant topic but did not follow through with it. I became familiar, however, with the church documents on sacred music through the Adoramus Bulletin, and then found the Graduale Romanum on Musica Sacra. (This was 2009, a year after the centennial of the GR, so there was a sizeable amount of discussion about it in online sources.) When I wrote my master's thesis on the restoration of Gregorian chant in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Musica Sacra was my starting point: I used the GR as a main primary resource and also tapped into some of the articles in Sacred Music that are posted on the website.
  • I have always kind of known about the Graduale Romanum (insofar as I had seen it in the hands of a couple of my former choir directors from time to time) and Gregorian chant (at least Gregorian hymns, such as Pange Lingua or Veni Creator Spiritus), but I really did not know about Propers, or what they were exactly, until a friend of mine began sending me your articles on the propers a couple of years ago. This same friend also gifted me with a copy of the Simple English Propers (this friend actually attends the EF at our parish, but is eager to help me in my efforts to beautify the OF as well). I had always kind of had a basic sense of the types of music that were appropriate for liturgy, but the articles and the SEP book sparked an interest to know more. So I got on the internet and looked up the Musica Sacra website, as well as CC Watershed. I also very quickly ordered and read the books "Papal Legislation on Sacred Music", "The Musical Shape of the Liturgy", and BXVI's "Feast of Faith" and "The Spirit of the Liturgy". In addition, I took out a subscription to Sacred Music. Having done all this, I was eager to put these things into practice at my parish in my position as director of the children's and adult's choirs, so I began introducing SEP on the 1st Sunday of Advent 2011 to try and coincide with the new translation. SEP has not replaced hymns at our parish (the people would never go for it at this stage), but so many people, including our new and wonderful pastor, have said how beautiful the chants are and how it gives a whole different tone to the liturgy. I always come to this website to print out the SEP for my choir members, since it's so accessible and much easier than copying out of my hardcover version.

We also now occasionally incorporate some Latin chants from the GR as well. (I have, for some odd and perverse reason, known how to read Gregorian chant for quite some time, despite not knowing the first thing about propers. Go figure.) I now regularly use websites such as this one to find online versions of chants, including the Liber, since our adult choir also sings for the EF at our parish occasionally. Thank you so much for all the great articles you write, Jeffrey, and for the work that everyone on here has done. We appreciate it more than you could know!!
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • WendiWendi
    I wrote my answer up for my blog.

It kind of morphed a little, but if anyone is interested...

http://cradlestories.blogspot.com/
  • I grew up in the "old" Catholic Church, along with the Baltimore Catechism (we had to know every answer verbatim for Confirmation), and have always loved traditional hymnody. In school I particularly enjoyed music history and Gregorian chants. When our parish went through pastoral changes, the new pastor wanted chant and hymnody, and I was able to "go back to my roots". It's been a challenge with the people, but it's beginning to catch on. We stared with the Agnus Dei and are now incorporating at least one chant per mass (SEP and sometimes Latin from Parish Book of Chants, depending on the mass).
  • mahrt
    I grew up in a mission parish in a farming community, where a motley crew, including my mother and me and my sisters, sang from the St. Basil Hymnal and some others to a harmonium, including pious Catholic hymns, "Bring Flowers of the Rarest," "O Lord I am not worthy," "Macula non est in te," (which I came home singing "Mac you cannot rest today"!); I had no idea what Gregorian chant was. I spent three years at a Jesuit University (Gonzaga), where, though I went to daily Mass, I heard psalm-tone propers twice a year. I did hear the school children sing the Requiem Mass on Saturdays.

I went to the University of Washington, where the Dominicans had the Newman Center, and as a music major was drafted to sing all the proper chants for Holy Week. I had practically no notion what these were, but I remember being amazed at the tracts for the Easter Vigil; we rehearsed and sang them for Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil, and Easter Sunday. I don't imagine that these were stellar performances, but at the end of the week, I said "This is what I have been waiting for!" The cathedral choir regularly sang all the Gregorian chants for Sunday Mass, and I joined it that week; I have continued to sing chant ever since.
  • hilluminar
    I had always been interested in Gregorian chant since I knew that "it was the music
    of the Church", although I could never find anyone to teach it to me. Then I moved
    to Portland Oregon and discovered Cantores in Ecclesia. That changed my life. I met
    my husband there, in that choir, and also came to discover many great people like
    David Jensen, who introduced me to all kinds of chant material online.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • kevinfkevinf
    I was a student at Duquesne in the 80's and Ted Marier came to do a workshop on chant. We sang some of the propers for a liturgy during the workshop and I was hooked. Time at a Benedictine monastery increased my love. But only in the last 10 years have I returned to it. My work on Tournemire has sufficiently nourished it and caused me to grow further into it.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    Short answer (maybe):
    In January of 2008, as a senior in high school I got a call that the Latin Mass community was looking for someone who could play organ for them approximately every other week to cover times when their volunteer organist/director was unable to be there. This person would hopefully also be able to direct the men's schola.
    Although I had no experience with chant, or the traditional Latin Mass, or as a choir director (or even a singer), I told the man on the phone that I could play organ for him since, after all, I was a tolerable musician and should be able to handle anything that he had music for. (I had had ~10 years of piano, and maybe ~3 1/2 of organ).
    As things went on and the volunteer director and his successor found that they had other things to do, I eventually was playing every week, choosing the music, and running the rehearsals. From here, my course was basically set.

• CharlesW
    I vaguely remembered chant from my pre-Vatican II childhood, but had not heard it in years. When I was in college, my theory professor taught chant as foundational to western music, which I found interesting. As a Catholic DM, I did not start promoting it much until Pope Benedict was elected. In consultation with the pastor, I introduced what I could reasonably get away with in a NO parish, without creating a backlash. I use Latin Ordinaries during Lent and Advent, and have reinstated communion Propers - others on a from time-to-time basis. The rest of the year, I use English Ordinaries, mostly chant. I have been told I have a "hybrid" program, with chant, along with traditional hymns and anthems. I draw heavily on Anglican models, since I think they mastered the art of English liturgy long before anyone else.
    Thanked by 1Blaise
  • ryandryand
    I played with a contemporary group at my childhood parish, and around age 20 got really fired up about how the music just didn't seem appropriate. At that point I knew nothing about the liturgy, its theology, or the music that goes with it. A friend hipped me to Ratzinger's Spirit of the Liturgy and then there was no turning back. I realized that something WAS wrong and there was music that SHOULD be at the mass ... and it actually made the mass feel like ... mass!
  • My own interest in Gregorian chant predates the proliferation of online chant editions by only a couple of years, but I credit online commerce for my collection of hard-copy chant editions. (The chances of the local bookstore carrying, say, the Graduale Simplex in 2002 were slim to none; nowadays one is hard pressed to find a local bookstore.)

However, to answer Jeffrey's question more specifically, I consider CMAA's release of Solesmes' 1990 edition of the Gregorian Missal for Sundays a major coup on multiple fronts, e.g., proof positive of chant's integrality with the Ordinary-Form liturgy (if only on paper/screen). Today's plethora of online editions are an embarrassment of riches. I will refer people to not only the PDFs of items such as the Simple English Propers but also CCWatershed's recordings of the same.

I note that amidst all of the objections leveled at liturgical chant I have encountered, economic cost is not numbered among them. The proliferation of free online editions possibly contributes to this anecdotal observation.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    It was actually Aristotle's blog which converted me, believe it or not.
  • gregpgregp
    It was actually Aristotle's blog which converted me, believe it or not.

Me too. I realized I was not alone.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've mentioned several times: The texts and melodies in the Parish Book of Chant were the big "turning point" for me.

When I started to read through the texts of the propers, and then even more so the various hymns and chants in the Parish Book of Chant, I couldn’t help but realize how impoverished was the theology of the music I grew up with. There are a lot of contemporary songs and hymns that I think are wonderful and rich, but I had never, ever been at a Mass and sung any sentiment as evocative as “Blood of Christ, inebriate me,” nor sung any melody quite as sweet as “Ave Verum Corpus.” There are untold riches here, and the contemporary liturgical movement has pretty much just forgotten about them.

http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2011/07/29/a-liberal-discovers-chant-and-liturgy/
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, at 62 but a convert at 19, the first recollection was a collection of LP's someone gave me in college of Solesmes. Didn't really make the connection when studying the portion of Hist/Music and Grout, nor when playing & singing at Oakland's famed St. Francis de Sales Cathedral (very progressive in 70's.) I remember chanting the Exsultet at my own first parish Choirmaster gig in 74. When we moved cross county to El Cerrito I followed two good directors, Juan Pedro Gaffney who founded a early music coro ensemble at Mission Dolores, SF, and a lady who actually had a small schola that chanted at the main Sunday Mass.
    Gradually (no pun) we continued to sing metric chant in Latin on an infrequent basis. Added more of it through the decades down here in CenCA at the cathedral and at my current gig (22 years). But, the turning point was 2006 Colloquium in DC without a doubt. Mahrt's opening talk before compline, compline and I was off to the races. I still didn't quite get the EF that first year (St. Mary's, Chinatown?) but still was hooked, line and sinker. This is the WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE of how Catholics should sing their worship!
    That's my story, stickin' to it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I was music director of a rather large and liberal church at 16. They sent me away to a rather liberal liturgical conference that encouraged chanting of the Liturgy of the Hours, but not during Mass. Somehow, chanting the Office made me think to myself, "this type of music belongs at Mass." Then I did some reading and, sure enough, that voice inside my head was onto something.
  • Blaise
    Dr. Mahrt,

You went to a Newman center which emphasized chant? If I may say so, you are in luck. On occasion, our priest at the Baylor Catholic center would sing portions of the Eucharistic prayer---and I thought this was an oddity at that time.

Now, my turn to tell a story: I have no dramatic tales to tell, but I remember when I was growing up, during Advent our DoM would introduce some chanted Agnus Dei---and I thought this was boring, sadly enough. He also tried to start up a schola, which, if I remember correctly, sung only once for Mass.

So, one by one, I got bits and pieces of a liturgical music education growing up.
  • With apologies to Didymus, "If I do not see Aristotle's blog with my own eyes, and click its hyperlinks with my own cursor, I will not believe."

(Nope, it's nowhere near restoration…)
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    As a lifelong Catholic, music student, and aspiring choral conductor, I was aware of chant in a basic sense throughout my musical upbringing, but it wasn't until around 2004 when a close friend became associated with a Virginia parish that offered OF Latin Masses that I became aware and began to understand the place of the propers.

In the winter of 2006-2007 I had the opportunity to begin leading professional choral music at a suburban Baltimore parish that had previously enjoyed fairly well-respected traditional music offerings from a choir of men and boys. When the pastor asked me what kind of music I could do, with some bravado I replied I was musically capable of Gather-style music, traditional hymns, or the Gregorian propers - not really expecting him to choose the last option. When he did, I first started my online exploration to find out exactly what that entailed, and embarked on it with my young (but paid) singers.

All of this, however, was reading chant in modern (five-line) notation from the Solesmes organ accompaniment books. Eventually choral studies took me away to Miami, where I forced myself to read from square notes singing with Jenny Donelson's schola at her Miami EF parish.

Now I'm working teaching prep school students in North Carolina how to sing both modern choral music and chant (in four lines!). I still return to the Baltimore parish to music direct for Holy Week and Christmas Eve. (Curiously, that pastor has since recently published a book that some of you were talking about in another thread!)
  • Protasius
    I read about chant first in the Organ method my sister had used when I was a pre-teen or so (a reprint of an older work whose last revision was in the 60s by my organ teacher's professor with an elaborate part on chant accompaniment).

My first real-life occurrence was when I joined the church choir of another parish in my hometown, which uses the Missa de Angelis on All Saints and the Missa simplex on Pentecost.

The first time I sang the propers was when I was asked for a Requiem on All Souls at our EF community for which I practised using Youtube videos by Giovanni Vianini; and to be honest I used the dictaphone even while singing during Mass to ensure pitch. Since then I regularly use chant for the EF Mass and occasionally sing some of the propers (Germany has an old privilege allowing vernacular hymns at High Mass, so we can chant only part or none of the propers or even ordinary [happily we do this only rarely by now]).
  • mahrt
    Paul Viola,

I was speaking of just before the Council; the liturgy was all in Latin, and the Dominicans, who ran the Newman Center, still kept their tradition of chant. The director of the Newman Center considered himself a progressive, and the incorporation of more music into the daily Mass was to him progressive, even if it was chant; so was having all the chant for Holy Week. He continued to work in a progressive direction, and eventually left the priesthood.

As a graduate student at Stanford, I joined a choir that was just being formed by a Stanford professor of mathematics, with the support of the pastor—again a liberal in many respects, but coming from a musical family, the high Mass was something he was completely comfortable with. It was only with the change of language and the cultivation of "folk music" that problems emerged. There were battles, the pastor called it "music wars," but I think that these battles shaped up our commitment to the chanted liturgy, and after some skirmishes, the battle was over. I have directed that same choir now for most years since 1963. It has maintained its identity in the midst of the cultivation of very different music. It achieved a certain notice locally, and this secular respectability may have contributed to our being able to maintain it. I have served under ten different pastors, whose treatment of this liturgy ranged benign tolerance, remote indifference, bemused wonderment, and wholesome support. There has never been a question about the repertory; we continue to sing Gregorian chant and classical polyphony.
  • Bobby Bolin
    I grew up in a parish where the music was very moderate. We had 2 organ/cantor masses, 1 organ/choir mass, and 1 folk mass. It didn't take long for me to completely lose any interest in the guitars but I really liked the way our organist handled the masses. I became interested in music and the liturgy and begged the poor guy for more music after every mass. Eventually, (probably somewhere around 8 years ago when I was still in high school) I stumbled across several websites devoted to sacred music. None of those sights was nearly as stable as this one. I began checking it occasionally and have grown to the point where I am on here several times per day.

I had been exposed to chant before finding this website but had never realized just how vital of a role it should play in mass. Now, this is my go-to place for any chant related resources or answers to any questions I have. I will admit I am not a complete convert to chant but if it were not for this website I would still be completely clueless to the purpose of chant in the mass.
  • When I was 7, our choir director (children's choir) taught us Victimae Paschali Laudes for Easter. I don't remember doing much else in chant.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I've always had a penchant for dignified music at Mass. To me, that usually meant preferring Alstott's "Heritage Mass" over Haugen's "Mass of Creation," and choosing stately hymns over sappy songs. I knew virtually nothing of the church's treasury of sacred music at the time.

When I got asked to lead the music for one of the Masses at my parish (about six years ago), I chose music which reflected these preferences. But at some point, the "choosing" part got frustrating to me. I sought guidance and understanding regarding what I was supposed to choose. A little bit of internet searching led me to articles by Arlene Oost-Zinner and Jeffrey Tucker.

I recall a particular article ("Fourteen Easy Ways to Improve the Liturgy"), and actually a particular sentence within that article that was the tipping point for me, so to speak: "For that matter, the Amen need not be "great" but rather just two notes."

That was my paradigm shift. That was where I began to understand that solemnity and dignity was most fully embodied in the Church's own music -- chant.

The rest is history. I should mention that my interest couldn't have possibly been sustained beyond that first "aha" moment were it not for the incredible resources available online -- first, AOZ's and JT's Cecilia Schola site, and then MusicaSacra, CCWatershed, the Café, and the Forum. I should also mention that AOZ, JT, and Dr. Mahrt were also very kind in responding to some eager emails I sent, early on.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Jeffrey, I doubt you will be able to fully account for all the good you have done by placing these books online. I imagine several of your online books have been downloaded already more than a million times. Besides, many other people have downloaded them and placed them on their websites for download.

The influence of these amazing online books is "pervasive."

If I could share but one example: in 2008, Corpus Christi Watershed placed the NOH organ accompaniments online. Many people have downloaded them, and many more (myself included) have been writing in the same style.

I never realized how pervasive the influence was until I got an E-mail a few years back from one of the big publishing companies claiming copyright over the method of notation used in the NOH. I don't think they realized CCW was the only reason their corporation even knew about this method in the first place! I cannot share the name of the company, because everybody on this forum knows their company. They failed to realize they were six decades too late to copyright that notational method.

I didn't even bother to respond to their message: I just printed off their E-mail and hung it on my wall.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • quilisma
    I was the organist in my parish and then choirmaster, when the previous incumbent took a back seat. He had taught me some chant basics and we did make very occasional use of the Missa de angelis and the Requiem Mass, plus a few other chants. We had an old 'Plainsong for Schools' and a Liber Usualis, but I never really understood what they were all about - having never known the Tridentine Mass the pieces of the jigsaw just didn't fit together - I am ashamed to say that, at the time, I didn't know what Propers were.
    It wasn't until I read the GIRM of MR 2002, that I realised what importance the liturgy actually gives to chant and I started to explore the function of the Propers. At this time I had moved parish but was inspired to start a schola. The internet - and particularly the CMAA - made all of this possible through the availability of electronic editions, not to say that I didn't actually go out and buy myself a Gradual. Just sitting there leafing through the pages enabled me to start to understand how the Mass was really structured from a musical point of view. But I have to say that a profound knowledge of the chant/propers, etc. was only gained through familiarisation with the Extraordinary Form.
    I live somewhere else now and have a well established schola, but it's not always easy to gain acceptance of what we do and promote. Frankly, some people just try to avoid the times when we sing but that's their loss. I sometimes consider defecting to the Extraordinary form parish where there aren't such conflicts. However, I feel it is my duty to continue to promote what I see as the authentic liturgy in the Novus Ordo.
  • GavinGavin
    The thing about Aristotle's blog that really spoke to me was its moderation. When I started out in church music, I saw I was entering a world of two starkly different sides: the contemporary and the traditional. Playing organ, SURELY I wanted the traditional, because otherwise I was out of a job. Plus, I just didn't like the contemporary - all about taste! My mentors measured the success of a program in its ratio of contemporary to traditional music: We must always have at least one "piano song" to make people happy. And a good church will have many "organ hymns" and few "piano songs". Musicians were bitter about the "piano songs", and looked down on the composers and performers of this genre - even as they played the songs (poorly) themselves!

Then one day my mentor showed me this site called the "Society for a Moratorium on the Music of Marty Haugen", and he chuckled with glee at this site, and showed me the long list of people who signed on to it. His point was made clear to me: we aren't alone in hating the "piano songs". But my first thought was, "How would Marty Haugen feel if he ever saw that web site?" Is this what church music was really about? Hatred and power?

Then he showed me another blog, Cantate Domino. He said it was "mostly boring commentary, but interesting to see what some people do." I marveled at the lists of music, and wondered why we can't do that same music at my church. I started to read the lengthy commentary, too, and my mind was blown. Aristotle wasn't interested in grabbing power to suppress composers. He wasn't bitter at having to play music he doesn't like. He wasn't worried about his "hymn to song ratio". He didn't even do hymns, he only did propers. It seemed like an entirely different way of looking at music. No power, no us-vs-them, just... church music.

The "propers" approach is really an extremely moderate approach to church music, and I think it has been difficult to adopt because it requires both the traditionalist and progressive musician to sacrifice their power.
  • Gavin, it's amazing to me how my writing came off as moderate as you remembers, because I consider myself rather irascible and struggle at not making the perfect the enemy of the good. And this irascibility wasn't helped at all by the tone contained in Why Catholics Can't Sing: The Culture of Catholicism and the Triumph of Bad Taste, which I read six months before I took my first full-time job and started the blog. (I always include the subtitle when introducing the book to others, by the way.) I think I knew enough about the Internet back then to hold my least charitable sentiments to myself.

My music lists from 2004 until the blog was hijacked by Bangladeshis were propers-heavy solely due to my leading a schola at a "sequestered" 9:30 AM Latin-English Novus Ordo that was then replaced by a Missa Cantata post–Summorum. I know that before that I actually was a bit worried about my "hymn-to-song" ratio. (If I remember correctly, in 2002 I started out with a 50/50 hymnody/"songnody" split, which ended up at 25/75 by the end of 2003.)

The best thing about running that blog was being able to do a show-and-tell about not only the music that I was preparing but also delving into primary-source liturgical legislation and guidelines from the Vatican and the USCCB. It was a real eye-opener for me and for those who read along.

The worst thing about it was the maintenance and upkeep. Now that my offline life has exploded, it's unappealing to resurrect the thing realizing that those Bangladeshis may very well still have my account's number…
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hey Aristotle, how's the People's Republic of Madison doing?
    "Songnody?"
    Is that what Wayne and Garth were doing while listening to Bohemian Rhapsody in the car?
  • BenBen
    Here in the People's Republic, it's certainly weird, because we have the best of the best (Aris and his parish, my parish across town with an amazing pastor, a priest being called up to the Vatican Diplomatic corps, Bishop Morlino; but then on the other hand, we're home of the national Freedom from Religion Foundation, a crazy city, and some very liberal parishes... it's crazy. edit: our old cathedral rector is now a bishop in SD too.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • jpal
    I grew up with chant, so I credit my pastor at the time, and later my boss, Rev. Franklin McAfee, for my love of chant.

However, I will say that my parish music program -- almost all chant (mostly English, some Latin), with some hymns -- would have been impossible to pull off in such a short period of time without online chant editions from CMAA and CCW.
  • Melo, as Ben has been here longer than I have he has described the situation better than I ever could; it's the best of times, it's the worst of times (and may ever shall be, world without end).

"Songnody" is a neologism I thought I cleverly coined; turns out that Steve Collins beat me to it by around six years.
  • What got me going? The Chabanal Psalms. The melodic form and harmonizations of these psalms shaped a sacred tone and gave me hope to pursue a form for chanting the propers. I needed to meet Jeff O soon because I had inferred by the quality of his scores that he must be an acient chant scholar- from Poland, and there probably is not much time left. So Iattended the Colloqium and discovered a colony of chant punks.
    Added April 12: about 12 years ago, I left church music altogether, because the tone of popular marketed music had become too effinate, too broadway, & painfully unfulfilling.The quality and scope of our performances improved

yet the prayerful tone of the liturgy diminished to the delight of the committee.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    We're on a roll--"Songnody" and "Colony of Chant Punks." Nice one, Ralph. Keep 'em coming.
  • gregpgregp
    Colony of Catholic Chant Punks - CCCP!!!

• melofluentmelofluent
    Da, Komrades!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    LOL gregp ... reminiscent of Soyuz Sovetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublik
  • Jeffrey Quick
    My story isn't real relevant to the question, I suppose. I was an early music guy in later high school and college, so I heard chant, sang a little bit of it, but never really thought of it as liturgical music. When I started grad school, I got a singing gig at the local Anglican Catholic church, where they did the Burgess Rossini-clone, Gregorian Ordinaries and occasionally propers (all in 5-round notation). Later, I sang some for the local Latin mass... in mostly for the polyphony, but they did Propers from the Liber, so I learned to deal. Someplace in there, I converted. And really, only in the past 5 years at most has it seemed possible that chant could serve as liturgical music in the Ordinary Form Mass.
  • carljn
    Never read it or had any interest in it until 2009, and then life completely changed! Decided to join an EF choir after a move West that chanted ordinaries and a couple simple hymns to go with psalm tone propers, nice polyphony and such. Still didn't really get it for a year and a half, just was following the bouncing chant ball rather than learning to read it, but loved the sound of it. Then I went on a deployment, came back to it, still didn't get it. Fast forward three months and Holy Week 2010 was upon us, and I suddenly get to be the choir director. I'm not one known to do stuff half way, so I decided to go full bore Graduale for a full Triduum with zero experience and only a couple ringers. This still is the high point of my spiritual and liturgical life. Never looked back from there. Our once fledgling Schola can sight read the Graduale and is on its third pass through the book!

Oh how I wish I had chant on deployment...
  • Chrism
    1) Hearing it
    2) Reading your article in Crisis
    3) Getting invited to join a schola

The online chant editions are wonderful but they merely fed the beast. They did enable me to easily implement chant in new parishes.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Like Jeffrey Quick I discovered chant the same way I discovered Webern, Dufay, ragas and Javanese gamelan, and I sang some of it in concert with Richard Crocker, Bill Mahrt and Paul Hillier when it still seemed church was the last place one would ever look: a lone sighting during the 80's of gregorian chant in it's native habitat was in a Surakarta church, while the gamelan accompanied a rehearsal of nativity play dancers costumed as Hindu gods at the other end of the nave (Maybe I should have pinched myself harder). After finally scoring a LU, chant remained something I did for my private pleasure when hiking or vacationing without my cello.

A much later turning point was chanting in English as a substitute at San Francisco's Anglo-catholic Church of the Advent. The OC, Paul Ellison, made his own editions to improve on Burgess, and inspired me to do likewise for distribution music in my interim and substitute gigs as an organist at mainly Lutheran churches. These communions have always been very well received. My interest in Bach had a lot to do with wanting to finally tackle the repertory of the church year in a systematic way, as well.

I began my association with St. David's as a festival choir ringer and Fauré/Mozart/Händel soloist, later becoming cantor & interim choir director, at which time I started slipping in the communio before the Communion hymn. Since there was a small constituency encouraging me to use Latin I switched to the Gregorian Missal and sang the translation in place of the psalm verse; recently I've made more consistent use of the American Gradual (which I am very happy to have as an online resource, though I very much look forward to a hard copy when revision is completed!) My first encounter with Rossini-type propers was at the early Mass which I started singing much later, and I remain skeptical about their efficacy as a gateway to gregorian chant: from my own perspective and experience they still seem like pretty thin gruel.
  • sang the translation (of the antiphon) in place of the psalm verse;

A Best practice!
  • scholistascholista
    Jeffrey,

I am a former Evangelical missionary who converted to the Catholic Church in 1995. Three years ago our Kenyan priest decided to pray the Novus Ordo once a month in Latin. Not knowing anything about liturgical Latin, I volunteered to be a cantor so that I would have to learn. Thank God for the CMAA and pdf's! Below and attached is a list of the online chant editions that swept me up into the chant revival. I am very grateful!

488 x 706 - 137K