Lectiones III et IV Vigiliae Paschalis melismatim decantandae
  • aldrich
    This is very late but I will post anyway.

The lessons for the Paschal Vigil in the EF, when chanted by cantors, were traditionally chanted "juniores ante seniores." The most experienced cantor, therefore, sings the final lesson. In the pre-1955 Holy Week rites, this corresponds to Lesson XII (incipit: Nabuchodonosor). There existed a tradition that an attendant increase in the complexity of the modulation must accompany the increase in the seniority of the lector.

The beloved Dominican book typesetter, Holger Peter Sandhofe, left us an example of such melody for Lesson XII. However, since the Paschal Vigil lessons have been shortened from 12 to 4 by Maxima Redemptionis, the tone finally retired to the archives. In a rare occasion last year, we were able to chant Lesson XII, and this year, we applied the beautiful modulation to Lesson IV.

With this, we also used a melismatic melody for Lesson III to balance the lessons (2 tonus propheticus, 2 tonus melismaticus). Lesson IV has the longest melisma, but Lesson III has the widest ambitus.

See attached.
  • mahrt
    Wow!
    Thanked by 2aldrich Salieri
  • aldrich
    This is again very late, but I will post anyway.

This year we sang all twelve prophecies. Below are the three penultimate tones. I could not locate my file for the twelfth prophecy, but it is the same modulation as in the fourth prophecy above.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw benstox
  • tomjaw
    We have sung the 12th prophecy to the tone Holger Peter Sandhofe found over the last few years, but sadly not this year. Hopefully we will be back to normal next year. I have the document prepared by Holger Peter Sandhofe, and can e-mail it if needed. PM for it.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    This year we sang all twelve prophecies.

Do you mind my asking if you had to get permission to do so? Do you do all of the pre-1955 Holy Week? How does that work?
  • tomjaw
    In our part of the world it is more a custom that we use the older books and calendar.