Good Friday question
  • JennyJenny
    My choir director wants to sing a 'communion proper' during the distribution of communion on Good Friday. Having looked at a variety of sources, there doesn't seem to be a 'proper' one, I assume because there isn't a Mass. Is this correct? Can we sing a communion antiphon 'ad libitum'? Or should we not do this sort of thing at all?

I know this seems simplistic but our group is so new to the whole idea of the propers that I want to be able to answer their questions correctly.
  • The simplest solution is to chant Psalm 21/22 for the distribution of communion. We
    also sing motets like "Ave verum," "O Bone Jesu," etc. Then silence after the distribution.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • chonakchonak
    The Graduale just says "a suitable chant ('cantus aptus') may be done during communion", and Psalm 22 ("O God, my God...") fits the bill.

Thanked by 1Jenny
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Check the Vatican program from last year... They chose an antiphon to go with Psalm 22... but it isn't Proper per se, just a choice they made.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • JennyJenny
    Thanks, all.
  • You may also consider the Communion antiphon for Sacred Heart, which quotes the Passion for the day:

"One of the soldiers opened his side with a spear, and at once there came forth blood and water." — Jn 19:34 [pdf]
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • RobertRobert
    The rubric in the Missal states: "During Communion, Psalm 22
    (21) or another appropriate chant may be sung."
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • The rubrics for the New Roman Missal III suggest Psalm 22, which is the same as Palm Sunday. We will repeat it on Friday.
    Thanked by 1Jenny