A Reason Some Panicked
  • chonakchonak
    I'm cutting out a few comments that ran counter to the forum etiquette guidelines; sorry for any inconvenience to the persons who wrote them.
  • CharlesW
    Dang! I always miss the good stuff! ;-)
    Thanked by 2marajoy IanW
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    You missed little, and unfortunately chonak removed some valuable commentary along with the less appropriate stuff.

I think I'm going to take a break from the forum again. Seems like last time I left and came back, I discovered that I neither missed nor lacked anything of great value.
  • chonakchonak
    That's all right.

It's wonderful how so many generous, thoughtful people have made this site a center for sharing their ideas, experiences, compositions, and counsels.

And yes, I did drop some perfectly innocent comments, but in the situation, I considered it best to remove the whole exchange. It was all off-topic anyway.
  • JennyH
    JIF,

One of the reasons some people panicked was due to rather nasty (and misleading) comments about Pope Francis posted on the Rorate Caeli blog.

I think it is worthwhile to point out that "New Catholic" (practically the only one who posts on Rorate Caeli) in real life is a person with no credentials: he's never taken a course in Theology, nor Liturgy, nor Patristics, nor Latin, nor Church History, and I could continue. He has a lot of free time, and has chosen to spend it creating the aforementioned blog.

People are free to read Rorate, but they ought to keep in mind the total lack of qualifications regarding the blog's creator.
  • BenBen
    @JennyH

+1 your comment.

I will be honest, to me, Rorate Caeli often seems like a bunch of whiny traddies. Sorry, that's just the vibe I usually get when I occasionally stop by.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I will be honest, to me, Rorate Caeli often seems like a bunch of whiny traddies. Sorry, that's just the vibe I usually get when I occasionally stop by.

Everyone at my EF seems perfectly reasonable except one or two. And those two are can be darn shrill. Apparently one of them doesn't like the Campion Missal/Hymnal, even though it is vastly superior to the tiny brouchure-like thing we have been using. Talk about making the perfect the enemy of the good!
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • GavinGavin
    I think I'm repeating myself, but it bears repeating: I'm not in a panic because of what I think Francis will do. I'm in a panic because of what he will embolden others to do.

Case in point, I just got home from a meal with colleagues in a neighborhood known as the gay part of town. After some energetic conversation about the new pope, we were approached by a friendly gay couple who said they were interested to overhear us talking about religion. As we parted ways, one of these men smiled and said to us "Just watch - Pope Francis will change EVERYTHING!"

Will this guy get anything he wants from this pontificate? No way. Is it going to change how HE exercises his own faith? Yep. It's also going to affect how people like him expect US to exercise our ministries. And a lot of those people are in positions of power.

Somewhere, there's a parish council member taking note of Francis's simpler vestments - and a priest who doesn't like the solid-color poncho the church has had for 30 years. Or a priest noticing that Francis doesn't sing his prayers - and a music director who is trying to introduce chant via the dialogs.

So yes, excuse me while I panic. This really does matter.
  • chonakchonak
    I suppose it is normal when a likable but unknown figure bursts onto the scene: people project idealized expectations on him. Everyone wants to claim him: "he's going to implement my agenda!" -- "No, mine!" -- "Mine!"

So people unhappy with Benedict XVI may be ready to believe all sorts of things about what Pope Francis will do.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Guess I drank the Kool Aid, I was happy with BXVI.
    Thanked by 2Jenny benedictgal
  • I think it is worthwhile to point out that "New Catholic" (practically the only one who posts on Rorate Caeli) in real life is a person with no credentials: he's never taken a course in Theology, nor Liturgy, nor Patristics, nor Latin, nor Church History, and I could continue. He has a lot of free time, and has chosen to spend it creating the aforementioned blog.

This seems for all the world like an ad hominem attack on a blogger whose perceptions and insights are respected among traditional Catholics and widely-read (if his being quoted in L'Osservatore Romano is any indication). The blog has a relatively liberal policy regarding comments. And "New Catholic" is by no means the only poster there. Some readers seem to be deeply concerned about "credentials;" others, seeing the Internet as an open forum, are willing to judge what is being proffered on its own merits.

I found it helpful to read something about the Pope's background as Archbishop of Buenos Aires from local sources who were well acquainted with his leadership of the church in Argentina. Looking back to 2005, I don't recall anyone dismissing Pope Benedict's prior pastoral and theological experience as irrelevant in trying to gauge the direction of his pontificate. There are reasons why Catholics who are deeply attached to Tradition are wary about the direction in which Pope Francis may lead the Church. Some, no doubt, may whine. Others are just concerned and are praying and sacrificing for the Holy Father. I hope to be among the latter.
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • This seems for all the world like an ad hominem attack on a blogger whose perceptions and insights are respected among traditional Catholics and widely-read (if his being quoted in L'Osservatore Romano is any indication).

This too is an ad hominem, though not an attack. I would further submit that RC's content in the last 2 weeks has greatly diminished his respect and credibility in the Catholic blogosphere at large.
  • Gavin,

My thoughts mirrored yours, but for some reason, seeing them articulated by someone else made me calmer, not more panicked.

I think that your example parish council member, if that adamantly against beautiful vestments, isn't likely to be influenced by the pope one way or the other. Someone that has little care for the liturgy doesn't need an excuse to be so.

Also, the current liturgical and musical renewal needs to be able to stand on its own two feet. Sure, it's helpful if the pope is taking an active hand in it, but if the renewal cannot stand on its own, then it is a week renewal indeed.
  • chonakchonak
    Pedro wrote:
    The blog has a relatively liberal policy regarding comments.

Does it? I gave up commenting there after finding my submissions were not published.

That's not to diminish the value of the information that is often presented there.
  • Throughout the earthly history of the Church, different gifts have been required of the Successors of Peter at different times. Right now is the time for someone with great gifts in a certain area. That does not at all, in my way of thinking, endanger what Pope
    Benedict XVI offered to the Church. Salieri's comments about the beginnings of the Oxford Movement in England are "spot on." The Oxford Movement blossomed in the lowliest of neighborhoods in industrial Britain, not at HighClere Castle! Many of the finest examples of liturgical worship in our country today are not in the wealthy suburbs.
    Pray for the Pope.
    Thanked by 2ContraBombarde gregp
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Also, the current liturgical and musical renewal needs to be able to stand on its own two feet. Sure, it's helpful if the pope is taking an active hand in it, but if the renewal cannot stand on its own, then it is a week renewal indeed.

Agreed. There are still bishops and lay cabals out there determined to stamp out good liturgy in favor of therapeutic fluff, but they were still doing this mostly unchecked with B16 in office. The only thing that our new pope means is that in those places, winter continues. Everywhere else there are plenty of signs of improvement and if that can't be kept growing, it says more about us than about the Holy Father.
  • There is much to be celebrated with what Benedict XVI left behind. Just the other day, I saw OCP had a facebook post regarding latin. I wonder if Archbishop Sample is sending shock waves. Another thing to be celebrated is that many seminaries are starting to bring about well trained and more conservative leaning priests. They knew things were amiss and are steering closer to a more sacred pattern of music. I witnessed quite a few in my own area.
  • JennyH
    Once again, Fr. AWR, welcome to a forum that accepts divergent views, and, for the most part, doesn't tolerate its editor determining the course and winding of the conversational thread. It seems to me that you and Rita have an understood pact to silence any criticism that discredits either of your own opinions when they do, and THEY DO, cross the moral lines of common courtesy, not to mention the ecclesiastical bonds we laity have in not discrediting the ordained in a blasphemous manner. Long live Pope Francis. Blessings, Charles

Charles, there is no question that Fr. Ruff sometimes deletes comments by more 'conservative' participants for ideological reasons, and this has been well documented by Matthew Bellisario and many others. However, that's his prerogative as moderator of his own blog.

On the other hand, I do not agree that this somehow ought to prohibit him from posting here. I think of the CMAA forum as a warm and welcoming place where all views are accepted. Years ago, David Haas tried to post here, and he got offended and left. I thought that was unfortunate, at least from my perspective, because I enjoyed reading his comments.

I do 'feel your pain' as a while back I had tried to post a very polite and innocuous comment on PT in support of the Church's traditional teaching on marriage. It was promptly deleted, and I think that's the last time I visited that site.
    Thanked by 3Gavin CHGiffen IanW
  • melofluentmelofluent

JennyH and others, I don't now how, despite the tangential nature interrupting the thread, people get it into their heads I was trying to suppress AWR from coming here. Nothing could be further from my intent. What you say in your last sentence was virtually identical to my first sentence to him. And regarding Haas, I was in that melee trying to represent the tolerant voices of CMAA, and got hand slapped by a few reminding me that true charity isn't always accomplished by tolerance. Yes, I know all about AWR's rights to his blog. He can and does break his own rules, even as of today- declaring a moratorium on one post thread, but then allowing further commentary by like thinkers and then surgical removal of others (including one mine) that were up, and later out.
    So, I thought this was put to bed a couple of weeks ago, but....? CMAA is not Fox News. Now tell me PTB isn't MSNBC. Especially after reading this little gem from Mr. Paul Inwood:
    It is still apparent that those who are proponents of the EF have still not taken on board that Extra-ordinary means abnormal, not normative, exceptional, and that having a parallel usage of that nature is not part of the Church’s previous history. And that saying something was not abrogated does not mean that it wasn’t, when the canonists tell us that it quite clearly was abrogated.

So, many of us here (meself included) are now, de facto, inclined towards abnormality and exceptional (in what way do you mean, Paul?)
    But he and Anthony can visit here 24/7 for all I care.
    Thanked by 3JennyH Gavin CHGiffen
  • JennyH
    I am not sure what Paul Inwood means. John Paul II appointed a group of Cardinals to study the question, and they agreed it was not abrogated.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Paul Inwood means exactly what he said this morning on PTB and which I quoted exactly. I wouldn't want to be the poor soul telling him or the usual suspects that "Well, Blessed JPII and his Cardinals were wrong then, weren't they?"
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • Blaise
    Just watch - Pope Francis will change EVERYTHING!

Pope Francis, from what I read, is staunchly conservative in theology. And even--perish the thought--if he isn't, the Church has outlived some of the worst popes in history, and Pope Francis most assuredly is not one of them.

Wishful thinking for that couple. Unfortunately (for them), it is only their wishes, not God's.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Blaise
    I will say, however, with all due respect to our Holy Father, that if he needs to concentrate on a different area of Church life and not focus so much on the liturgy, then it falls on us to redouble our efforts in this arena.
  • benedictgal
    Melofluent, if you drank a lot of kool-aid, then I have been happily inebriated for the last eight years.

I love Benedict, always have, always will. When he first appeared on the Loggia, I felt a sense of safety and reassurance. Now, I am not so sure.

Gavin, I agree with the concerns that you listed. Already there is a chilling effect down here, especially with the Mandatum. Even though the CDWDS clarified who's feet were to be washed, I fear that Pope Francis' past and present actions will roll back whatever small gains we made down here.

The only thing that I can do is crawl to my happy place and ponder the beautiful liturgies that Benedict gave us as an example.

NB: I haven't posted much because I am still very much in mourning over Benedict. My brain accepts Pope Francis because I have no other choice but to stay with Peter. But, I do have fears about the liturgical direction the new Holy Father is taking. Humility also means accepting the new role one has been given and not be in such a rush to implement one's own style and peculiarities. This could turn it into a hermeneutic of rupture.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "parallel usage of that nature is not part of the Church’s previous history." Tell it to the Eastern Rite Catholics, Mr. Inwood.
    Thanked by 2IanW SamuelDorlaque
  • benedictgal
    I hope I did not violate any forum rules. It has been a very frustrating 12 days so far. While he is a good preacher, some of the changes have caused me concern.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Nice to hear from you Ms. Rom....BG! I've wondered where you were for a while! Glad you're back.
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • Blaise
    Benedictgal and Melofluent,

Lemme assure you that despite my attempts to make cautious remarks in the past few weeks, I have had to drink my own kool-aid (both actual, or rather generic version thereof) and spiritual/psychological.
  • May I be permitted to make a small observation here which I have not yet seen published in the blogosphere or elsewhere? This Sunday, when the pope takes possession of the Lateran Basilica and is seated on the Roman cathedra, we will see the return to an almost fully vernacular papal liturgy, with only the chants of the proper and ordinary (and Pater noster) in Latin. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first very public Mass of the capella papale in which the Eucharistic Prayer will be prayed in the vernacular since Pope Benedict began the practice of always praying the central prayer of the Mass in Latin. What I find particularly saddening in this new sign of rupture is the backtracking to the Italian translation of pro multis in the consecration of the chalice: per tutti. Considering the considerable amount of catechesis that was given in the last pontificate to the meaning of this expression and the importance of having it faithfully translated, this seems to be a repudiation of that concern. Should not English speakers who were asked to make the change from "for all" to "for many" now be tempted to ask, "What was all the fuss about anyway?"
    Thanked by 2ryand MHI
  • Liam
    PdA

I suspect Cdl Bergoglio has been used to "por todos los hombres" in the Spanish institution narrative (though I am aware there are different Spanish translations of the Roman Missal in South America, I've not read that they differ on this point, but perhaps someone can provide more color on it).
  • @Liam:

The translation used in Argentina says "por ustedes y por muchos, para el perdón de los pecados."
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • IanWIanW
    "parallel usage of that nature is not part of the Church’s previous history."

My own experience of the author of that assertion (whether publishing under his own name or one of his various pseudonyms) is that the more strongly he asserts something the more likely it is to be only part of the truth or plain wrong. In this case, not only can we point to use of the Eastern Rites in parallel with the Western, but also to the Council of Trent, which permitted the continued use of any form of the Latin Rite which had at least a two-century history. Hence the Ambrosian, Carmelite, Dominican, Bragan and other forms (and but for the King's need of a male heir, the Sarum Rite might well have survived in England). Opposition to such diversity tends to come from those with a desire to control and to impose their own views; it's at odds with both tradition and the spirit of Vatican II.
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • marajoymarajoy
    http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/pope-francis-and-the-liturgy

This article puts an interesting perspective/spin on what Pope Francis has and has not done with the liturgy.
  • Speaking of "parallel usages," this is an example of "liturgical experts" who have apparently not studied the history of liturgy prior to 1963. What were the Ambrosian,
    Mozarabic, Sarum, etc. rites? It was my impression that they were considered valid local usages of the Roman liturgy. Am I misinformed?
  • GavinGavin
    I had an interesting thought: This may be the first pope since the beginning of the Roman Rite that has never celebrated it according to its older form.

And Mara's article presents an interesting perspective, but doesn't do much to counter my own concerns.