"On this day O Beautiful Mother" ... analysis by Fr. Brunner = "unfit"
  • Fr. Francis Brunner in 1953

Q. According to the “White List” the “St. Basil’s Hymnal” is on the list of disapproved hymnals; however, it is the only hymnbook which contains “On this day O Beautiful Mother”, which is much loved hereabouts. Would you tell me whether that piece is suitable?

A. The whole question of hymnody is so tangled and twisted, that it is generally difficult to give a straightforward answer regarding particular hymns . . . (read more)

read more

• Chrism
    He's dead and the song is still being sung.
  • This hymn brought untold thousands of women into a closer relationship with the Blessed Virgin Mary using words and emotions that they understood then and still does today. It has outlasted SONS OF GOD and other drivel that was concocted to try and bring people into the church, but instead drive many away.

Did our life begin on birth, baptism or on some concocted event that this song memorializes? It is enough stop being selfish and sinful to go to heaven?

Who's pouring this kool aid?

R- Sons of God: Hear His Holy word,
    Gather around the table of the Lord
    Eat His Body, drink His Blood
    And we'll sing a song of love
    Allelu, allelu, allelu, alleluia.

1- Brothers, sister we are one,
    And our life has just begun,
    In the spirit we are young,
    We can live forever.

2- Shout together to the Lord
    Who has promised our reward,
    Happiness a hundred fold
    And we'll live forever.

3- Jesus gave a new command:
    That we love our fellow man,
    Till we reach the promised land
    Where we'll live forever.

4- If we want to live with Him,
    We must also die with Him,
    Die to selfishness and sin
    And we'll live forever.

5- Make the world a unity,
    Make all men one family,
    Till we meet The Trinity
    And we'll live forever.

6- With the church we celebrate,
    Jesus coming we await,
    So we'll make a holiday,
    So we'll live forever.

There is drivel and there is music of a time in which it belonged. While it's Jeff's hymnal he can decide what to put in or out. But he can't stop people from singing music that they love and that touches them.

Why did no one do anything about the "problem" this music caused? Because there was no problem. This guy's really overreacting to make a name for himself,

Catholics in America have been the heirs of a sentimental and subjective hymn tradition that, for some reason or other, has taken a deep and fast hold on the fancy of the average person.

People tire of being regimented into doing things that others feel that is good for them. On This Day brought thousands of women into church on weeknights, getting them out of their houses where some husbands came home, got drunk and took it all out on their wives, beating some of them senseless.

All that many of these women had hope for was a peaceful death and being welcomed into the arms of Mary. Jeff has every right not to put it into his hymnal and I bet this writer guy, Fr. Brunner came closest to women only through the veil of the confessional so it was easy for him to identify with husbands and completely ignore the plight of women.

He sounds like a jerk to me. Probably a Mama's boy and himself unfit to be a priest through his total lack of charity and sensitivity. Jerk, jerk, jerk. It's sad to read what he wrote with his air of self-righteousness. And what's he doing encouraging people to dance to a hymn? Sounds like he's done it himself...strange bird.

Well...I feel better now.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Well...I feel better now.

I'm not so sure you should because those last two paragraphs were every bit if not more of the rash judgment you think Fr. Brunner was guilty of.
  • GavinGavin
    The "Gather Us In" of a different generation.

I think in 100 years there will be some forum on which some musicians will be extolling the glories of "Gather Us In" because, whether or not the musicians of that time like it, it brought people to church and anyone who disagrees is a jerk, jerk, jerk, and blah blah blah....

As someone who lived through the 60s said of Glory and Praise, I say about the shmaltz in the St. Basil Hymnal, "It was garbage then, and it's garbage now."
  • chonakchonak
    "Sons of God" would be much less bad if it were set to some decent processional tune.

Oh, yeah, and telescope the "allelu, etc." into a single "alleluia".

• Scott_WScott_W
    I think in 100 years there will be some forum on which some musicians will be extolling the glories of "Gather Us In" because, whether or not the musicians of that time like it, it brought people to church

Yes. I'd call it the Abusing-the-Captive-Audience post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. It's much like the Whig myth of popular anti-clericalism before the English Reformation.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Andrew Motyka
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This is an example of brewing a tempest in a teapot. Were this the only drippy hymn from the Victorian era hymnals to survive to this day, it wouldn't make a dime's bit of difference. Refer to Gavin's First Principle of Particle Hymnic Physics: ya don't like it, don't sing it.
    Honestly....
    Thanked by 3Gavin CHGiffen Wendi
  • Scott_WScott_W
    drippy hymn from the Victorian era hymnals to survive to this day

Or as I sometimes joke, the schmalz from the 1970's is not solved by a return to the schmalz from the 1870's. :)
  • I agree, M.

Imagine living in a world where women are only allowed to be nurses, store clerks, secretaries and organists. Where there are two kinds of priests, those you really, really admire and those, the minority, were difficult, snarky and ones that people avoided - You'd see two lines for confession and you'd know that the long line was the good priest...the other line was for people who really, really had to go to confession and also had to get home...of course, some of those people also enjoyed betting verbally beat up by a priest.

During the 1950's a Catholic woman's life was family and the church. Few women worked because few people would hire a woman.

When civil disobedience became popular in the 1960's, things began to change for African-Americans and European-American Catholic women as well.

Quite a few priests at that time worked to remove and destroy statues of the saints and of Mary in and outside of the church, deriding those little old women who would kiss the feet of Mary as they would pass the statue. I saw it, I know the seminarians who who paid to abduct the statue and chuck it into the East River, NYC. If you like, I can go point out where it probably lies under the muck. At that times, as a young musician, I thought this was rather cheeky. But at that time, quite a few seminarians were rich kids, in seminary only to avoid the draft.

The church was so male-focused that there was little music that honored women, so over years and years hymns to female saints and Mary filled a need in the hearts of women living in a male dominated society. But hymns were written to fill a need for music outside of Mass and there was no form to follow - which may be why they tended to be in more popular, metric styles to fit religious poetry.

I worked 7 days a week for 7 years with 2 priests in parishes at that time and never experienced a "bad" pastor, but a lot of assistants who'd been sheltered and prepared to go to seminary for high school and on - who could be very difficult.

The older priests were forced by the weekly network television presence of Fulton J. Sheen to be rated by people to how they stood up next to him. I think that this helped the church a lot at this point.

The question:
    Q. According to the “White List” the “St. Basil’s Hymnal” is on the list of disapproved hymnals; however, it is the only hymnbook which contains “On this day O Beautiful Mother”, which is much loved hereabouts. Would you tell me whether that piece is suitable?

Reeks of being planted to give Brunner and chance to preach. A hymn people like is only found in a black-listed hymnal. Why would anyone ask this question unless they had an agenda.

JMO does not have a mean bone in his body, he posted this because in his research he came across it. I would have undoubtedly done the same thing. If I had published a hymnal to be used in current times, I would have included it because of its use in honoring Mary and its place in the hearts of many women. As a result many people would not buy the hymnal. JMO is not creating hymnals to replace OCP, and others, he is creating hymnals to lead the church.

Now read the awful text that Brunner derides:

There is the problem of the verse — some of it atrocious as to form, some of it equally atrocious as to content.

Hodie, o pulchra cum matre!
    Amor autem tibi hodie;
    Prope te, Madonna, exosculabatur nos tabernus,
    confidentes tua leni cura probare.

Hodie participationem petimus, carissima mater,
    tuo dulci curae:
    Nos iuvare umquam, pedes nostros erranti, aberramus a
    tua ducentia via.

Regina Angelorum digneris audire te delectorum,
    filiorum humilis di superi;
    Iuvenes corda lucrum, O Virgine purum, suave
    ad te ipsum pelliciunt.

Latin courtesy of GOOGLE Translate...

On this day, O Beautiful Mother!
    On this day we give thee our love;
    Near thee, Madonna, fondly we hover,
    trusting thy gentle care to prove.

On this day we ask to share,
    dearest Mother, thy sweet care;
    Aid us e'er, our feet astray,
    wandering from thy guiding way.

Queen of Angels, deign to hear,
    thy dear children's humble pray'r;
    Young hearts gain, O Virgin pure,
    sweetly to thyself allure.

Reading this and Brunner's words it appears that he may have had a problem, not with this hymn, but with women.

Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • chonakchonak
    What basis do you have for conjecturing so about Fr. Brunner's psychology? Are you contending that to reject flowery, sentimental, Victorian poetry can only be explained by an aversion to the female sex?

Anyone used to reading the office hymns of the Latin liturgy will recognize that "On This Day" does not share the Roman liturgical spirit with its sober character and classical allusions.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • None, whatsoever...I've not even played a psychologist on TV.

I apologize to all whom (who?) I may have offended. The reason behind his writing may be so tangled and twisted, that it it may be generally difficult to give a straightforward answer to the psychology behind it.

I wonder what he thought of Immaculate Mary?
  • GavinGavin
    "Or as I sometimes joke, the schmalz from the 1970's is not solved by a return to the schmalz from the 1870's."

AMEN!
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • GavinGavin
    "Reading this and Brunner's words it appears that he may have had a problem, not with this hymn, but with women."

And if you don't like gospel music at Mass, you must be a racist. Anyone can play this game.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I apologize to all whom (who?) I may have offended.

I wouldn't say I was offended. Rather, it is obvious that your ox got gored which happens even to the best of us from time to time. I was just trying to keep you from setting yourself on fire because of it. :)

Thank you. Now I know what caused that pain in my side!
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • francis
    my 2 cents. it's a terrible hymn both in melody and in text. does it have sentimental value? well, it does have the sentimental part... value? questionable... if i was creating a hymnal, i would not include it. comparing it to gather us in, it is a 10, however, and GUI is a 0.
    Thanked by 2chonak Andrew Motyka
  • melofluentmelofluent
    What, Francis, you don't find the sound and image of "lithping child-wen" quaint? Have you no heart, man? The text writer was a precognitive, s/he (I don't care to look that up) knew that a century later ALL CHILDREN would qualify for some medical diagnosis that "disables and marginalizes" them and their self-esteem, and used that adjective in a prescient way to foreshadow how the BVM has got their back, even when congress won't listen to their pleas....
    Oh, and let's be honest, even by comparison to GUI, "On this day" only gets a ten on a secular holiday that happens to fall in May.
    Can we find some fine hymns to critique now, please?
    Thanked by 2chonak Wendi
  • Chrism
    The operative word being "after".

Scott, welcome to the EF, where all the hymns are sung after.
  • GavinGavin
    The problem is that if you support hymns like "On This Day" at Mass BECAUSE OF the sentimental attachment some have to them, you've lost the moral high ground for not doing, for example, "On Eagle's Wings", which is also very popular for sentimental reasons. (believe it or not) There's no good reason to do sentimental, popsy-wopsy, theologically vapid hyms at Mass for 80 year olds but not for 40 year olds.
  • chonakchonak
    @Gavin: 40? 60's more like it.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    The question posed to Father Brunner in 1953 includes the statement that the St. Basil’s Hymnal was the only hymnal that contained “On This Day, O Beautiful Mother.” This is absolutely false. In 1953, the Catholic Youth Hymnal, was available from J. Fischer & Bro. of New York, which contains the hymn. Also, McLaughlin & Reilly of Boston had published The Catholic Chapel Hymnal in 1944 (with additions in 1954 and 1958), which also contains this hymn. The latter, as the preface reads, was a compilation of the most popular Catholic hymns based on a survey of U.S. Military Chaplains in World War II. They were asked, in the survey conducted by McLaughlin & Reilly, which hymns immediately resulted in spontaneous singing by the servicemen. “On This Day” and many others found in St. Basil’s appeared on the list. By the way, J. Fisher Bro. and McLaughlin & Reilly were the leading Catholic music publishing companies of the time.
    I wonder whether Father Brunner was really asked this question. Often, columnists will make up questions—and then respond to them—because of a personal agenda or because they just don’t have questions to respond to (as paid or volunteer columnists).
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The OCP disposable hymnal has On This Day O Beautiful Mother in it. If people require it, buy the disposable.
  • chonakchonak
    For that matter, if people need it, print it on a sheet. Include it in the booklet for the May procession.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    WLP also has the hymn it; in one of them (OCP or WLP) (I can't recall which) the words are somewhat altered for modernization.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • chonakchonak
    [I've deleted 20 comments from this thread.]
    Thanked by 2Chrism Scott_W
  • Paul I enjoy reading articles written in the early part of the 20th century too. Most recently an article by Dom Leon Robert in 1954 about Pius X. Within the article I found an interesting quote from the then Patriarch of Venice, "Without remarking that pleasure alone has never been a criterion for judging sacred things, and that we are not to second the wishes of the people in bad things, but to raise them up." Of course Cardinal Sarto was speaking about theatrical music used during Mass and the clerical excuse for allowing it: because it makes the people happy.

I doubt St. Pius X would have too much of a problem with "On This Day" being sung outside of the Mass as he promoted the singing of psalms and hymns by the people at Vespers and other times of devotion. On August 15th we have an entire day devoted to the Blessed Mother and after the evening Mass in the Grotto our pastor encourages us to sing these sorts of hymns. On This day is one of the favorites, but it is never sung during the Mass.
  • I wonder whether Father Brunner was really asked this question. Often, columnists will make up questions—and then respond to them—because of a personal agenda or because they just don’t have questions to respond to (as paid or volunteer columnists).

Knowing nothing about the columnist, that speculation is wildly uncharitable.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    "Wildly uncharitable" might be a bit strong. "Gratuitously speculative and adding nothing to the main point of the discussion" might be more accurate.

If we can interact with Fr. Brunner's actual ideas as written rather than try to scry his motives for writing it, we can avoid another 20-comment deletion bloodbath. :)
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • Chrism
    You can't argue with hate.
  • While hate is difficult to deal with I think we can certainly show from charitable example how to argue with it. Having said that I find no where in the thread or the article hate; frustration and misunderstanding perhaps, but not hate. Then again, maybe I am just an insensitive female.
    Thanked by 1Scott_W
  • Scott_WScott_W
    You can't argue with hate.

Since there is nothing that can be fairly characterized as hate in either Fr. Brunner's comments or anyone else here, I'm not sure to whom that was meant to be directed.
    Thanked by 1oldhymns
  • Scott_WScott_W
    atrocious

Since we ought to extend good faith even to the late Fr. Brunner, we should assume that he had definition 3b in mind when he used that word:

b : of very poor quality
  • Chrism
    I don't think he is the type to speak colloquially or to be unaware of the derivations of words.

There is the question of melody — sometimes unsingable [really]....Catholics in America have been the heirs of a sentimental and subjective hymn tradition that, for some reason or other, has taken a deep and fast hold on the fancy of the average person. And no one [presumably of the non-average] has yet had the courage to do anything about the problem that is thus created. However, in the case of the piece mentioned in the question, this writer would venture an unqualified “unsuitable, unfit.” [Where have we heard this term before?] The verse is the sort that is unsubstantial and sugary. The musical setting is waltzy. Read the words and tell me what they convey to you. [They convey a simple devotion to the Blessed Mother.] Then dance to the tune, and you’ll understand what I mean." [He must not dance much.]

Thanked by 1oldhymns
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I don't think he is the type to speak colloquially

Using atrocious as "extremely wicked, brutal, or cruel : barbaric" doesn't make sense in the context. Neither does "appalling, horrifying". Maybe "utterly revolting : abominable"; but "of very poor quality" fits the best.

So far the only thing you have inarguably established is that "chrism doesn't like what Fr. Brunner said". Ok, fair enough. I concede that. Perhaps we can move on.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Spriggo
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Perhaps we can move on.

Indeed, this thread has begun to border on the atrocious ("of very poor quality").
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Oh you are right CH. You've caught me being this guy:

So I'll shut up now.
    Thanked by 2Wendi KARU27
  • Paul I enjoy reading articles written in the early part of the 20th century too. Most recently an article by Dom Leon Robert in 1954 about Pius X. Within the article I found an interesting quote from the then Patriarch of Venice, "Without remarking that pleasure alone has never been a criterion for judging sacred things, and that we are not to second the wishes of the people in bad things, but to raise them up." Of course Cardinal Sarto was speaking about theatrical music used during Mass and the clerical excuse for allowing it: because it makes the people happy.

I doubt St. Pius X would have too much of a problem with "On This Day" being sung outside of the Mass as he promoted the singing of psalms and hymns by the people at Vespers and other times of devotion. On August 15th we have an entire day devoted to the Blessed Mother and after the evening Mass in the Grotto our pastor encourages us to sing these sorts of hymns. On This day is one of the favorites, but it is never sung during the Mass.

Thank you, Ruth. I fully agree. Perhaps that is why Fr. Brunner's comments were made with such reserve and sensitivity: "it is generally difficult to give a straightforward answer" --- "this writer would venture an unqualified" etc.

Pope Pius X is actually my confirmation saint! :-)
  • Chrism
    Could there possibly be an edifying discussion on Fr. Brunner's paragraph?
  • BenBen
    Agreed. Let's move on here. Maybe a closed thread is in order?
  • Ben, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the way to "move on" is to simply ignore a threads that do not interest one. Am I correct? The only way to keep the thread going is for people to keep commenting. I follow a general rule: when I don't agree with a thread, or an article, or (in this case) a whole series of articles that deals with a broad topic, I simply ignore it. On the other hand, probably the best way to keep a thread going is to post comment after comment, etc.

As to the suggestion that learning what we can about Catholic tradition is not a good thing, I would strongly disagree with this assertion, and I shall continue to try to learn what I can about what has been written in the past concerning "sacred vs. secular" styles at Mass, high quality hymn texts, etc.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Let's face it: the issue is all subjective anyway--some people like certain hymns, while others do not. It's what makes the world go 'round.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • oldhymns,

I hope I don't regret admitting this ... but I actually really like "On This Day, O Beautiful Mother."

However, when it comes to the public worship of Almighty God, there are other aspects the Church asks us to take into consideration. Is the melody of a high enough dignity to be sung during Mass? Is the quality of the poetry "lofty" (to use the word of the saintly Pope Pius XII)?

I would be interested to read what others think regarding this topic.
    Thanked by 1KARU27
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Let's face it: the issue is all subjective anyway--some people like certain hymns, while others do not. It's what makes the world go 'round.

I would agree that there is a heavy subjective component to music and taste, but I wouldn't go so far to say that it is all subjective. A musical piece may have more than one appropriate setting, but most are not universally appropriate to every setting. It may be fun to set the Dies Irae to heavy metal, but it would be wildly inappropriate to put it in a Mass even if it did bring in a few headbangers. :D
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Paul, on this particular hymn, I agree with you. There are many beautiful hymns to Our Lady (from St. Basil's, St. Gregory's, and many other "old" and "new" hymnals) that I would prefer.

This is one hymn, though, that people LOVE to sing. Our pastor likes it and requests it at least several times a year (the last being on January 1). This is one of few hymns in OCP that people will actually pick up the hymnal and sing--which is a good thing! This is readily observable from the choir loft.
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Dear JMO, In the second half of the 20th century military history provides us with some analogic perspectives. Engaging the Axis on Normandy Beach, at the Battle of the Bulge or at Iwo Jima were stultifying in terms of loss to gain, but the cause and need was of great import and morally just. Half a decade later men were dying on numbered hills in a protracted conflict inwhich withdrawl and a state of cease fire persists to this day between the DMZ of Korea. This would be repeated again in Southeast Asia in the next generation. And, to some extent our military is ordered to perpetuate armed conflict to this day to which a foreseeable benefit to any combatant nations cannot be calculated. Relating this brief perspective to your contention of moving a dialectic forward via the vehicle of this particular hymn and the views of a specific reviewer seems the musicological/theological equivilent of that little invasion of the hamlet of a country called Grenada during the Reagan era. As Liam, Gavin and others have quipped, sometimes it is necessary to declare to oneself "Is this the hill I will defend and perhaps die on for our cause?" And besides, it seems to me that everyone's forgotten that Tom Day covered this problems' genesis and value in 1990.
    "How many roads must a man walk down, before he can say...."
    Okay, in these threads here, some have disemboweled "Toolanbread," "OEW," "MoC" et al. If I wanted to, I could randomly eviscerate JERUSALEM, BUNNESAN, EBENEZAR et al without breaking much of a sweat. But to what end and purpose?
    It seems to me a nobler enterprise to learn from a positive approach when we deconstruct a work in order to understand its power, rather than to learn "what NOT to do."
    And a huzzah to you for reminding us that our focus here works better when not dealing in "broad topics." I've wanted a forum for decades to emerge that actually deals with the constituent elements of particular sacred and liturgical works that are most worthy to musicians of all abilities and stripes. "Sacred Music" does that, but at a very lofty level.
    My coda and coup de grace, one of the more regretable moments in RofR movement was the ersatz formation of the "Society for a Moratorium on Haas/Haugen" group online.
    Why do conservative/traditional musicians not blanch at advancing such a fanciful fatwa at modernism like that, but then persist in arguing over the liturgical equivilent of "The Hawaiian Wedding Song" in this thread. Logical inconsistency.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • oldhymns,

Years ago, one hymn I was forced to play was "Bring Flowers of the Rarest" and the pastor insisted I add chimes the whole time ... Not a good memory! I'm not a fan of that hymn.
  • francis
    PO

It would have been beautiful if you were a carillonneur
  • The melody that I'm familiar with for "On This Day" sounds pretty close to something that, with other words, might be found next to "Daisy Bell" in a collection of 19th-century piano favorites. This is just a subjective impression, but perhaps a look at the chord progression and rhythmic patterns would support it.

If my impression is accurate, then maybe the tune is too worldly to draw the worshipper up into the heavenly liturgy, and thus a poor choice for mass. I often think about Isaiah 6:3-4 in this context:

And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory." And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke

I wonder if Fr. Brunner's "unqualified" means that he opposed the use of this hymn for any purpose? He doesn't say.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    Paul, that is so funny!