Allegri's "Missing" Mass: 'Missa Vidi Turbam Magnam'
  • I have been in search of Gregorio Allegri's 'Missa Vidi Turbam Magnam" for quite some time and am turning to your assistance in the hopes that you can lead me in the right direction to locating the vocal score. I have had no luck whatsoever in finding a copy; everywhere I search I am led to numerous audio recordings of the Mass, but never the score itself. Every turn yields his famous 'Miserere' in multiple arrangements, etc. I feel as though this hallmark composition has made his Mass forgotten.

I look forward to any assistance you may offer.

Sincere regards,
    Bradley Holko
  • chonakchonak
    Welcome to the forum!
  • http://catalogo.bne.es/uhtbin/cgisirsi/x/0/0/5/?searchdata1=796271034

Latest published score. Library in Barcelona, Spain has it in their collection No American libraries seem to have it.

Contact performing organizations that have recorded it in the US....about scores.
  • I too had been looking for this score. After some extensive searching, it seems the folks at Venderbeek & Imrie (www.mapamundimusic.com) have the sheet music of pretty much everything that isn't on CPDL (though, they aren't "free" like CPDL). Last I checked, they have Allegri's Missa Vidi Turbam Magnam avalable for purchase. I also saw that EMS music has it available too. I hope this helps.
  • Hi. I have been looking for this too, and found it on a UK site - Ancient Groove Music ancientgroove.co.uk.

I would like to find out more about it, if anyone has analysed it or can provide historical context.
    thanks
  • stulte
    rodbirtles - This particular setting is a parody Mass based on a motet by Palestrina and would be appropriate to sing for the Feast of All Saints. Beyond that though, I wish I had more I could tell you.