Who decides who owns a copyright?
  • canadashcanadash
    I was looking for a piece of music by Gibbons. I found it online, but the online "store" said it owned the copyright. Is this true? Who would have given this "store" the copyright?
  • chonakchonak
    A modern publisher might own copyright on the particular engraving. And if the edition included annotations by an editor, perhaps there's something to copyright there.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    No one "gives" copyright to anyone. While the copyright in general is granted by the Federal Government, the way it works is that everything is automatically "under copyright" the moment it is created. While there is a registration process available, it is completely unnecessary.

Lots of people, including publishers, don't understand how copyright works or what qualifies. So you'll often see a people claiming copyright on things over which they have no legitimate claim.
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • francis
    most of the publishers are copyrighting their engraving. they change the words, create a new harmonization, and then typeset it to their liking. perhaps they are copyrighting a new derivative, but they really can't OWN anything that is in the public domain - they are weasels. Gibbon's age is greater than the years of the combined weasels trying to pull the greedy stunt. just find an older copy and you are good to go. did you search imslp?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    One doesn't "copyright" something. One either has or does not have copyright. (It's a noun, not a verb.) Someone can claim copyright, but that doesn't mean that actually have it.

Unless the engraving is somehow special or unique, it doesn't really qualify either. (Typing Shakespeare in Comic Sans is not a derivative work.)

And while some publishers probably are weasels, it's worth noting that when it comes to copyright law, it is much more likely they are just ignorant.
  • canadashcanadash
    Thank you. This conversation is fascinating!

@ Francis: I don't know about imslp. I will look at it.
  • ryandryand
    IMSLP is great.
    Also bookmark CPDL.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • No one "gives" copyright to anyone. While the copyright in general is granted by the Federal Government, the way it works is that everything is automatically "under copyright" the moment it is created. While there is a registration process available, it is completely unnecessary.

Yes and no. As regards the United States, registration is not necessary to obtain copyright. (It used to be.) But it is generally necessary in order to enforce copyright, as by suing for damages.

One doesn't "copyright" something. One either has or does not have copyright. (It's a noun, not a verb.)

The OED begs to differ!--

ˈcopyright, v.

trans. To secure copyright for; to protect by copyright.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The OED is describing common usage, not technical definition.
    And the the verbed form definition requires the noun-form original.

it is generally necessary in order to enforce copyright, as by suing for damages.

Not true. You "own" a copyright the moment something is created. Judicial enforcement only requires proof of "ownership." Registration is one such proof, but by no means the only one.

If I may side-step onto my soap-box for a moment:
    Part of the reason this stuff is confusing, and often defies common sense or common wisdom, is that copyright law is an invention of government, not a codification of "natural law." You may be of the opinion that it is a good invention, or a bad one, but the FACT of its government-sponsored artificiality is not legitimately disputable. For this reason, you should never assume you know something about Copyright Law just because you heard it from a reputable source, or you think you remember reading about it, or because it makes perfect sense to you that it should work some way. It's completely made-up, and its specifics sometimes defy logic and common sense. If you want to know what the law actually is, go read it for yourself.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Not true. You "own" a copyright the moment something is created. Judicial enforcement only requires proof of "ownership." Registration is one such proof, but by no means the only one.

No, the general rule is stated in 17 U.S.C. § 411(a): that, except for suits concerning rights of attribution and integrity, "no civil action for infringement of the copyright in any United States work shall be instituted until preregistration or registration of the copyright claim has been made in accordance with this title." Thus, the Supreme Court would say in Reed Elsevier, Inc. v. Muchnick, 130 S.Ct. 1237 (2010), "Subject to certain exceptions, the Copyright Act (Act) requires copyright holders to register their works before suing for copyright infringement. . . . Section 411(a)’s registration requirement is a precondition to filing a claim . . . ."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I stand corrected, and should take my own advice:
    If you want to know what the law actually is, go read it for yourself.
  • francis
    Actually, there is a way to prove copyright without registering with the government through the copyright office, and that is to register it with the government through the post office. Put all of your IP into an envelope and send it to your self as registered mail. Keep it in your file. If you ever need to file a suit, simply produce that sealed envelope in court. All the evidence of your ownership has been time stamped by the government and will stand in a court of law. (I haven't had the need to try this yet, but I am waiting for the first publisher to test me on it.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • canadashcanadash
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    francis-

The so-called "poor-man's copyright" is specifically disclaimed by the copyright agency.
    Serendipitously, the information about that is on the same page that (more or less) verifies MarkT's statement above regarding the need to register as a precondition of bringing suit.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    adam-

Read it a bit more carefully. Don't be fooled by legalease.

"I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
    The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration. "

They are right. It says there is no provision in the law regarding it and it not substitue for registration. HOWEVER, that does not mean it won't hold up in court. If you have proof of authorship, and you are talking about a lot of money being made on IP, I would think the court is going to hear you out.

However, I would register the work before your court date. Then you have a one-up-man on the other entity. Their date is definitely going to be later than yours!

(that is if the court is looking for the truth to begin with)

(of course, how do YOU define truth? what is true to me is not necessariy true to you!)

I got this line somewhere on this forum lately, 'what works for you doesn't necessarily work for me' excuse, and all I could do was laugh and proclaim, 'a victim of relativism.'

all rules, laws and regulations are now null and void.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Alternatively, you could choose to not exercise your ability to have the State use violence and coercion for the extraction of money from individuals who have done you no actual harm.

Blessed is the man that hath not walked in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stood in the way of sinners, and hath not sat in the seat of the scornful.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Adam Said:

Alternatively, you could choose to not exercise your ability to have the State use violence and coercion for the extraction of money from individuals who have done you no actual harm.
    what? no harm?

Ya know, I think your car is cool. I am going to sell it (without you knowing about it cause you never use it, so you will probably not find out about it until someone else is driving it.) You have legs... no harm done.

Once you drive (walk) down that slippery slope, you will lose everything.

When people feel like they can steal someone else's creation, invention, idea, etc., and make profit on it for their own devices, and it all comes down to who registers it FIRST? Then society is certainly in decay.

BTW... you are speaking to someone who has given his music out free to use without any compensation. It is that attitude that makes me think twice.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Lawsuits are decided by agents of the Federal or State Government. The decisions are enforced by agents of the same government. The ability for a government to enforce its decisions rests on its "legitimate monopoly on the use of violence."

Also Intellectual Property is NOT THE SAME as real property. As follows:
    1. If I steal your car, you don't have it anymore. If I copy your music, you still have it.
    2. If the government didn't exist, you could stop me from stealing your car by sitting in it with a weapon of some sort. The only way to stop me from (for example) photo-copying your music would be for you to hunt me down and find me.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Adam. You are living on the wrong planet. Once a society begins to demonize its government, you might as well send it to hell and move to Mars, cause there ain't a shred of land that doesn't have a king on it.

Tell me peanut butter is not peanuts. Property is property; whether its only in my brain, or half between (in cyberspace), or I put it in a book in black and white-it still belongs to me. Copyright law exists only for criminals. Law abiding citizens have nothing to fear.

A poem dedicated to Adam Wood:

IP

And if you have photocopied my music
    to perform it,
    I am flattered.
    But If you have photocopied my music
    to sell it,
    I am shattered.

(poem by Francis Koerber, all copyrights apply whether I put this notice here or not)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In fact, to have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded?
    -1 Cor 6:7 (NRSV)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    You shall not steal. You shall not deceive or speak falsely to one another.
    You shall not exploit your neighbor. You shall not commit robbery. You shall not withhold overnight the wages of your laborer.14

-God
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Adam:

EXPLOIT is the key word.

Definition of EXPLOIT

: to make productive use of : utilize
    : to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Well there's at least two different issues here, both of which we apparently disagree on, but it's still worth pointing out that they are separate:

1. Is intellectual property the same as physical property? Attendant issues would be questions like "Is copying morally equivalent to stealing?"

I believe: No.
    My reasoning: Information, unlike physical property, is not scarce. You can copy my idea, but you cannot truly "steal" it, because I still have it. I cannot homestead an idea.

2. Assuming one has been wronged by another party, is a civil lawsuit an appropriate method of correcting that wrong?

I believe: No.
    My reasoning: I do not condone violence or coercion, which are the only tools a government has for enforcing any civil judgement.

Issue 2 is not directly related to Issue 1. I wouldn't sue you for copying my stuff because I don't think you've harmed me. I wouldn't sue you for punching me in the face because, even though you clearly have harmed me, I would not ask the government to punish you on my behalf.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Adam:

Please send to me everything you have composed, lyrics, hymns, music, all of it. If you are serious about your stance, you will be fine about my selling your wares without any compensation to you whatsoever. And that goes for anyone and everyone else that reads this. You will still 'own' your ideas, writings, whatever you have created, but I will be able to sell them and it will make my life better because I will get money for what you have worked hard to think up and polish and also sent to my email inbox. You will not be harmed in any way. Send all content to me at my website email address, which is found by clicking on my name above.

NOTE: Please be sure to send a signed release form, just to make sure this is for real.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Francis-

Everything I have written that I think is fit for public consumption has already been published to the web, either here or at my blog (musicforsunday.org).

If you think you can make some money by reselling it, feel free. I doubt anyone would buy it, though, since they can already get it free from my site. You might could make some profit if you could find a way to add value, though- which is sort of the heart and soul of capitalism.

If you are successful, you would not have harmed me in any way. In fact, you will have greatly advanced my personal goals in this matter.

However, nothing about my philosophy obligates me to make it any easier for you to do any of that by, for example, emailing it to you in a convenient ZIP file.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Adam:

The added value will be the paper it's printed on, the willing and savvy attitude of marketing expertise, and the delivery mechanism to those who want it. I will take a look at your site. Thanks.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Adam:

Your site does not come up on the web. Did you mean .com?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Yes, it's .com.

I may be interested to publish your latest mass, however, I would like to alter the melody, (just a little) and set it to Latin text. I would like to see more. (It's hard to find your works on your site. Is there a particular way I can just see the music, for instance?)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    .com yes- sorry

re: altering my mass setting.
    That would be a derivative work. I have already specifically granted that right publicly, for all my works.

re: value added
    Paper hardly seems like it has wide enough margins (ha ha) to support that business model, but knock yourself out.

re: finding stuff on my site
    I need to do a re-organization. In the mean-time, try:
    http://musicforsunday.com/category/new-music
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Adam:

Well, here is where it gets fuzzy real fast. I don't think it is derivative if technically you don't own it to begin with, right? It would just be my own comp at that point. If you do not subscribe to the laws and terminology of the copyright office, or the concept of IP, then everything is just plain free game.

Then again, you are calling it 'my' mass. So I am confused about ownership. Do you own this?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, Francis:

Adam is using copyright in an unconventional way. He still does own his works.

Let's think of how copyright traditionally works with music: it makes all rights reserved: no copying, no modifying, no arrangements, no recordings of performances.

The simple alternative to that would be to renounce copyright -- i.e., place his compositions in the public domain -- but then anyone would be free to copy them and modify them and then lock the modified version in copyright, and they would have no obligation to reveal that Adam was the original composer.

Instead Adam is retaining copyright on his works, but granting everyone a separate permission to copy them and modify them -- but with a catch: they have to (1) attribute the original work to Adam, (2) get his permission before selling any publication containing his work, (3) apply these same rules to the modified version, so that others can benefit from it equally.

These conditions are spelled out in a published legal document called a "Creative Commons License". There are several variations on it, depending on which of those three conditions the artist wants to attach to his work.

So the license grants all these permissions, but his copyright on the music still matters. If someone were to violate the deal -- to copy Adam's work without fulfilling the conditions, he would be committing a garden-variety copyright violation and be subject to legal recourse. So the Creative Commons license offers the permissions, while copyright law makes it possible to enforce them.
  • francis
    thnx chonak.

adam:

all along i thought you were espousing no ownership and no copyrights needed. you never mentioned CCL. so you DO believe in IP. another thing that threw me, is that your mass on praytell bears no copyright notice whatsoever, and so i thought you weren't trying to protect or manage your works.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Adam's blog mentions CC licensing on the pages for hymn texts.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    So, Adam, can you clarify what copyright status your works have?

My understanding is that copyright protection is automatic when a work is created, even if it's not registered; so your recent Mass is copyright-protected unless and until you explicitly renounce your copyright and release the work to the public domain. If you want to do that, it would be sensible to put a notice to that effect on the score. Once you do that -- and it's irrevocable -- you no longer have any say in what happens to the work.

In contrast, if you want to use Creative Commons licensing, then you must retain your copyright on the works. CC grants permissions and imposes conditions for use, and uses copyright law to enforce the conditions. For this reason, if you want to abandon copyright, it would be correct to remove all the CC licensing references attached to hymn texts or whatever, and replace them with public domain declarations.

Or do you really not believe in intellectual property, but use the CC system to get the best result under current law?

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Or do you really not believe in intellectual property, but use the CC system to get the best result under current law?

That's the one.

All of my work has been released under CC: BY-NC-SA, which has specifically the restrictions you laid out:
    -attribution is required
    -commercial use is restricted
    -derivative works must be shared under a similar license

I have actually rethought my position on the non-commercial restriction recently, and plan to update the copyright notice on all my works to reflect my change in philosophy. (For more info about my thought regarding the non-commercial restriction, see my post on Open Source Sacred Music.)

In the meantime: Francis, consider this post my official statement of granting you any commercial license you need in order to realize your dream of printing my music onto paper and selling it to people.

Because we live in a world where copyright law exists, there are two serious problems with simply renouncing copyright and placing everything into the Public Domain:

1. Other people creating derivative works could copyright those works, creating confusion about what portion of the work is restricted and what isn't. This could have the effect (whether legally legitimate, or only perceived) of placing restrictions on my own work which I did not intend to be there.

2. Because the conception of copyright and intellectual property is so ingrained into everyone's psyche, people generally believe that the stupid little (C) at the bottom of copies should be trusted. If you copied my Public Domain work and slapped your own name on the bottom, the credit may never get back to me. I suspect that in a Public Domain world, where idea-borrowing is considered normal, that people wouldn't make such assumptions, and good manners would require people to acknowledge their sources. (This is the case with cooking, by the way. Recipes cannot be copyrighted. However, it is generally considered ill-mannered and rude among professional chefs to not acknowledge where you borrowed/stole/copied your ideas from.)

For these reasons, I release all of my work under a Creative Commons license. As I mentioned, I've recently re-thought by stance on the Commercial use. I'm currently trying to think through the Share-Alike requirement, but for now (at least) derivative works must be released under a similarly free license.

One thing that find particularly interesting about this conversation is that it follows a very predictable pattern. When discussing Copyleft or Free Licensing, there's always initial confusion. "What do you mean?"

But the really fun part of the conversation starts when the conventionalist realizes what the implications are, and then tries to goad the advocate with threats of stealing all the stuff. "I'll print all your music and sell it and not send you a penny!"

This conversation has been had over and over; not just by me, either.- I assure you, anyone espousing Copyleft principles has already thought through the implications of such a philosophy. Shockingly, there exists no great industry dedicated to exploiting the work of people who have already given their stuff away for free.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Ohhh, I do SO LOVE this conversation!!! It's not just because of my involvement in the Choral Public Domain Library, either.

Copyrightly or copywrongly, it's amusing and delightful to see this discussion, which might (or might not) be perfect for those who might otherwise be copyleft in the dark.

Copy that?

Thanked by 1francis
  • chonakchonak
    Well, Adam, you really have been confusing us! You've got all this talk against intellectual property, but so far it's not something applied in action (for understandable reasons.) So for practical purposes someone wanting to arrange one of your Mass parts should disregard the philosophy and just check your CC license statement (if they can find it.)

Thanks for clearing things up here.

Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    it's not something applied in action

Not entirely true. The only unimplemented aspect of my current thinking on the matter regards the non-commercial restriction, which I just haven't had the time to update the notice on my various individual pieces. But let this be an official announcement on the matter: anyone wishing to commercialize my work is FREE TO DO SO.

The only place that my work is printed without the license statement attached is in the worship booklets at St. John's Abbey (the PDF at PrayTell that includes my Mass of the Blessed Fire). However, the primary website for the Mass setting does include the CC license. I don't know why the license statement isn't in the PDF at SJ's, I assume there is some kind of "credits" page in the full booklet that includes it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    "I suspect that in a Public Domain world, where idea-borrowing is considered normal, that people wouldn't make such assumptions, and good manners would require people to acknowledge their sources."

We tried something like that. It was called Eden. Didn't go well.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Lots of creators have been correctly credited for their work, long before the invention of copyright or the conception of Intellectual Property. Bach, Dante, Michelangelo, Shakespeare.

(Okay, that last one is a bad example... maybe...)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    et al:

[open soapbox]

I thought about removing my posts in my conversation with Adam above because I felt a bit deceived (and baited) by Adam's posts somewhat dancing around whether or not he subscribed to the concept of IP. As it turns out, he does utilize the CCL which is an offshoot of the original Copyright concept, and I suspect a lot of other people wrestle with these concepts daily because of the revolution of web publishing technology.

My philosophy has been to be wise as a serpent but harmless as a dove. I have offered my scores to everyone in the world for many years, indeed since I began composing at 7 years of age or so. I am coming to the time soon in my career, to publish and make my music available for sale. I strongly believe in personal property and of course the wider issue of personal rights. People in power want our rights to be diminished and take all that we create and can do for their own greed and power. Do not be deceived by that thinking. Those concepts are contrary to the Kingdom of God.

Once in the past, I released my rights to a publisher on few of my works, and I have felt slimed ever since. Publishers have been after me to publish with them for years, but they require release of ownership with very little compensation if any. It is exploitation, and I don't feel it is the way of the Kingdom of God either.

I recently published a hymn in the new St. Michael Hymnal, but they did not play that nasty game with me, and I still own my small little hymn. Linda Schaefer, God Bless Her Soul, was very kind to me and did not try to take advantage of me, and is very just and kind in her dealings. I highly recommend that you think about supporting her efforts as she has the right heart and mind in the Catholic Publishing world. I have had conversations with Adam B and Arelene O-Z also, and they have the same generous attitude of mind and heart. It is a rare but sorely needed virtue in the industry of sacred music publishing, to be sure.

Every artist is due his compensation. God looks at our business dealings very carefully. Do not exploit your neighbor. Unfortunately, most of the media, entertainment AND sadly, the church publishing industry DOES.

I will be out to change that game as are a few of my colleagues who are already doing that. The wealth of PD music is astronomical and we are poised to put it in the hands of every church musician in the world with the WWW. I am very excited by that idea.

Thank you Adam, for your offer to publish your music, but I respectfully decline. God Bless you and your efforts. You have my prayers.

{end soapbox}

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Carl DCarl D
    I, for one, appreciate following this discussion. Composing and publishing music can be a real mess when it comes to copyrights, and many people don't know how to navigate through the decisions. This is helpful to see what people are REALLY struggling with.

The Creative Commons structure, in my opinion, is absolutely the best help for thinking through what you want to do - even if you don't end up using it. It's honest and supports different points of view.
  • JamJam
    Music is one thing, but there's also art and writing and other kinds of intellectual property.

As a writer and amateur comic-artist who hopes to make money on my work someday, I sure would be devastated to find someone off publishing my comics or novels on their own, claiming it as their work, and selling them to people. In the age of the internet I see art stolen and reproduced, unattributed, all the time, and it's sad.

There's also things like patents for inventions: wouldn't it suck to invent something, then before you can market it lose all your profits to some greedy dude who got to the manufacturing stage with your idea before you could?

It's possible to steal someone's livelihood by stealing intellectual property, it just depends on how it's done. Copyright definitely needs to be revisited (extending it past the life of the author by hundreds of years...? why??) but it's not a bad concept in and of itself.

my $.02
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The issue of copyright-philosophy is complicated. Obviously, I have my beliefs/opinions (which I am still working out for myself), and then there is also the practical issue (what one actually does with one's intellectual property) which is even more complicated, as one must balance ideals against the current conditions of the real world.

I'm of the opinion that IP should NOT be protected by the government. You can agree with that or not.

But talking about "how I would feel if someone else 'stole' my IP" is not exactly relevant to the discussion about whether IP is a good law or a bad law. This is because:
    1. One's feelings one the matter are wrapped up and affected by a culture that has declared IP a sacrosanct natural right. (Despite it's fairly late invention by modern governments).
    2. In a world absent of IP, we would have a different understanding of where the real value lies in creative work, and would therefore not have mentally/conceptually invested our creative output with the same type of imaginary value. (See, for example, the effect of a lack of IP protection in industries such as fashion design, cooking, and comedy.)
  • jpal
    Skimming down this thread for the first time in several days, without reading a single post, the most clearly indisputable fact is that Charles Giffen is extremely thankful.
  • francis
    Charles: You better patent or copyright your gratitude! Someone is likely to steal that idea.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What a great example of my philosophy!

If someone copies CHG's thankfulness, they can BOTH enjoy it. Emotions and ideas (unlike cars) are infinitely reproducible.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    (thought twice about leaving this on the board - it has been deleted)

Sorry.