Some sad news/prayers needed/and my thanks.
  • Friends, may I rant for a moment?

Yesterday, from the altar, my pastor announced that he was ending my/our music program at the end of Feb. This is a 'solid" man who hired me to create a real music program of chant/motets/hymns - and, we've done this in less than six months and for a ridiculously small amount of money -- w/ chanted propers, well-executed polyphonic motets, only the best hymns AND! as a bonus my student cantor/section leaders are all violinists, so we have violin/viola at every mass. It's sublime! As well as excellent organ literature at every mass with organists from the Basilica, Peabody and CUA at every mass. We had won over the majority of the "Gather us in folk" with beauty, love and charity....people are joining the parish and there is an undeniable surge in the congregation- from 50 people at mass when we started to ( yesterday, I counted from the choir loft )- there were 260!

It appears my poor Pastor has bowed to pressure from a few and turned on us...and sadly for him, been intentionally misleading me. To be fair to him, the parish has money issues and we've discussed it. But last week we met to work on ways to cut the budget by 50% even though we are all working for CHEAP already.

He took a badly designed and badly executed "survey" which I begged him not to do and out of the 400 people that attend mass now, only 35 surveys were returned. No surprise. It's all so weird. His announcement said nothing positive about the program but he was careful to mention four negative things that the "survey" uncovered! He mentioned that people complained about us doing unfamiliar hymns on a Sunday that we sang "Holy, Holy, Holy" and "Alleluia! Sing to Jesus". The church was literally packed and everyone had their hymnal out and sang all the verses!

'Corruptio optimi pessima' .....the corruption of the best is the worst..and it is shaking the faith of folks who are coming to this church from other parishes for the sacred music. The young musicians who work for small stipends already, just agreed to a 50% paycut so we could continue the program through the end of the liturgical year . He was so insulting to us and no word of thanks or anything, that making it to the end of February will be a trial. My poor, beautiful cantor had to cheerfully announce the recessional hymn after the Pastor's unkind and disrespectful announcement.

Public humiliation, I know, is good for the soul. But, I was dying inside for her and she handled it beautifully. She'll turn 21 on Easter Sunday. (an accomplished vocalist and violinist, too.)

Hearing the news about Benedict on the heels of this destruction of a program that was aiding conversion in this parish, ads to my sense that we are in a time of great trial...more than usual anyway. May God protect Pope Benedict and guide the coming conclave....please say a prayer or two for my heartbroken staff. (I'm taking it in stride more or less now that the initial shock of being betrayed by a priest, yet again, has begun to settle in. I've been through this 3 times before....)

Many thanks for all the support, music, advice and fellowship that this forum offers. Let me repeat that...
    THANK YOU!

Rant over.

ps...We need a new home, in case anyone needs an already solid music program in the DC/MD/VA area: 3 organists, 3 violinists/two sopranos and my excellent, kind, smart young Asst. Conductor a fine tenor who also plays the viola; three high school girls who sing like angels for $10 a mass, volunteer basses (2)/another tenor and 2 sopranos who are really coming along. Palestrina, Durufle, Tallis, etc. and me (Director/Alto/Pianist/Music Teacher) and my ridiculously large music library. (sigh....which I have no room in my house to store! ;)

• melofluentmelofluent
    God bless you TBS, and prayers will continue as they will be answered.
    Your posts here have proved your knowledge, dedication, stewarship to church and its arts, and love.
    Charles
  • Many thanks, Charles. Praying for you as well.
  • redsox1
    I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. What a shame. Blessings to you all. My prayers are with you.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • IanWIanW
    Very sorry to hear, this, TBS. It must be devastating. I hesitate to say that church musicians should live light, knowing that a change of circumstance might snatch away work in which we have invested so much, as I don't rely on it for my living; but equally, new opportunities open up, sometimes when we least expect. God Bless.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Thank you redsox...and agreed, IanW. It's so fleeting, you are right. I told my staff yesterday that we need to be thankful for the "glimpse" God provided and guard against bitterness.
    In that perspective, I have to say that I'm truly grateful for having had this opportunity. Sad, yes. Very sad to lose the potential for more conversions. But, I also told them that we have sown seeds, we have provided comfort and "gotten out of the way" effectively so the Holy Spirit could work through us. He likes to keep us on my feet, always looking for resources, dodging bullets...etc. I think it's the seasoning of our vocation, tho. All will be well. Thank you again!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen IanW
  • GavinGavin
    I was also saddened to hear about this. It comes on the heels of other friends who have been viciously mistreated at Catholic churches.

If I may preach: It has long been my feeling that the greatest threat to the success of Catholic musical reform is from reform-minded priests. I beg my colleagues here to realize: just because you believe the same things as a priest doesn't mean that he's going to be a good boss to you. Conservative priests can often be much more disrespectful of labor rights than liberal ones.

Also: Get a contract. Never work without a contract. Even if it's just an e-mail saying "this is what I'm paying you, this is what you're doing."
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Conservative priests can often be much more disrespectful of labor rights than liberal ones.

This.

Also, generally speaking, the more conservative a priest is, the more likely he is to think it's okay to exercise his priestly authority.

Additionally, just because of demographic trends- Conservative priests are also tending to be young, with less experience dealing people and being managers. Ordination confers many graces, but emotional maturity isn't one of them. That can only come from life experience.
  • S-
    This is so profoundly sad. You're the second church music colleague of mine to be struck down professionally--and grossly unjustly--in the last few weeks. No one will ever go wrong by assuming that the Church continues to perfect the art of shooting itself in the foot.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomboysuze
  • CharlesW
    If our faith were founded on priests, we might all be lost. Yes, there are good priests. There are also the whores who pursue the people in the parish with money. That may sound harsh, but that's all they are. It sounds as if your attendance may nosedive when you leave, since you note that good music has attracted more people. It sounds like his money problems may soon worsen. Serves him right. In the meantime, prayers for all of you.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Tomboysuze, I am so very sorry to hear about your situation! You most definitely will be in my prayers. I too, have suffered such a lashing at one time in my life, for very much the same reasons you have. Most assuredly, there are many of us here who have had some type of situation like this occur at one time or another. There is most definitely something better for you, and God will steer you in that direction! God bless you and your family!
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    O tomboysuze ... my dear, dear friend Susan!

This is devastating news to hear, because I'm well aware of the amazing talent, musicianship, energy, devotion to better musical liturgy, and love of our Catholic faith that you have brought to a parish that was so much in need. My deeply saddened heart goes out to you; indeed, you and your musicians are already in my prayers. I guess I'm dumbfounded, even though I'm aware of such connivance is not at all unheard of in the Catholic church (from personal experience).

As saddened as I am that your music program there is being terminated, I'm even more distressed and troubled by the underhanded, rude manner in which you and your musicians were treated by a priest who circulated a poorly conceived "survey" that was almost guaranteed from the start to elicit few responses - of course, mostly from those grumblers, opposed to change, who are well-aware that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, especially when it is a rusty, broken, outdated wheel of little or no present value.

To be told, from the altar, that the music program is being terminated in two weeks, with no expression at all of thanks or gratitude for service rendered — but, instead, dwelling needlessly (as if to justify this sort of action to himself) only on reciting four complaints uncovered by the so-called survey — is unspeakably crass and outrageously lacking in charity on the part of a pastor who has "worked" with you in a deceitful manner over these past weeks and months to improve the quality of the music program. Has this man no sensitivity to the feelings of you and your musicians at all, that he summarily issues a decree that amounts to a cruelly crafted and hardly veiled insult? This must have been contrived to appease the few parishioners guaranteed to opposed change, while at the same time snubbing a the musicians of high quality music program that has brought new parishioners in the door.

You have talent and fortitude, as well as a loving, indomitable grace in all that you do, Susan. Any parish with a will to do what the church desires with its liturgy and music would be fortunate to have someone such as you in charge of their music program.

Chuck
  • Gavin, Catholic churches do not offer contracts for this exact reason. You serve at the whim of the pastor until his cronies convince him that he has made a mistake and he listens to them.

How many members of this work under contract at a Catholic church? Speak up.

It is very sad for yet another talented and humble musician to be treated like !@#$ (insert your own favorite expletive). If priests were encouraged to have feelings instead of acting to make a few, often wealthy, members happy, this mess and others would never happen.

The "money problems" excuse is ridiculous as the church is wealthy. But as in feudal times, priests are persecuted by their bishops for not forking over his excellency's fair share. Now, if money were distributed from the wealthy to the poor parishes, that woudl make sense.

How many priests have ever had to make a living?
    Thanked by 2tomboysuze CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    "Catholic churches do not offer contracts for this exact reason."

Is this statement prescriptive or descriptive? I have worked for Catholic churches before, under contract.

If the Catholic church does indeed forbid contracted musicians, I would advise professional musicians to avoid employment at Catholic churches.
  • chonakchonak
    Sounds like another case of "When Sheep Attack".
    Thanked by 2tomboysuze Felicity
  • redsox1
    Gavin and Adam,

Your observations are spot on. I am a little nervous about what I see, even though some of the younger priests are more sympathetic to our musical and liturgical sensibilities. Some of the younger guys are wonderful, others I'm not so sure about.

My boss was ordained in the 1960's. We see some things very differently to be sure, but he has been a cheerleader and supporter for what I am trying to do in improving the music program at my parish and he has ventured outside his comfort zone on numerous occasions. I have been careful about what changes I pursue and when I pursue them, but I truly believe he appreciates and values my ministry and the labors that go with it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Is this statement prescriptive or descriptive? I have worked for Catholic churches before, under contract.

43 years at pastors' pleasure, 21 @ current (who happens to be in sabbatical in ROME!) I have a job description that serves as a "contract," but.... it's just paper and ink.
    However let's acknowledge that the "whim" factor can work both ways. I don't think any of the pastors at St. Charles Borromeo in Hollywood, CA., or the cathedral in Chicago a few years ago would have give an iota of thought to terminating their directors, and would have quaked in their slippers if they suspected a resignation from their musical treasury.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    For what it's worth, I have two jobs at differing types of Catholic institutions. One has a very clear contract; the other I serve at the whim of the shepherd.
  • CharlesW
    I do have a contract, and the pastor and I have to give each other 4 weeks notice on ending the job. An interesting thing happened Sunday. A young, newly-minted, priest said two of our morning masses for our absent associate. When I told him we would sing the Kyrie if he said the confiteor, and that we used the ICEL chants, his eyes lit up. He said he would say the confiteor. At the second mass, the incense appeared. As he looked up to the loft at me at the beginning of the second mass, the joy on his face was obvious. Some of these new priests are first rate, and they will make a difference.
  • canadashcanadash
    I'm really very, very sorry.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • donr
    I will be praying for you tomboysue, may the Lord bless you and your ministry to find a new home quickly.

St. Cecilia...pray for us.
    St. Gregory the Great .... pray for us.
  • so sorry to hear and will be praying.
    in ireland it is practically unheard of for any lay person to employed in any way at all in a parish. Our mission team gets round it by using a funding model borrowed from a nondenominational mission group called Youth with a mission (YWAM). in this model we do 'friendraising' that is find a small group of people who support our work and are willing to make a monthly donation to us personally. The benefit of this is that a) we can work as God leads and not be dependent on the whim of an employer b) we can give time to parishes, schools etc who cannot afford to pay or who pay very little. Just wondered if this sort of model could work for musicians too. How receptive would a priest be to a musician who came with their own funding?
    If your work has really produced support (and i'm sure it has), think about tapping into their financial support directly. Lay peopele often forget that they have the ability to influence things because they are , ultimately paying for them.
  • miacoyne
    I'm very sorry to hear the news, Susan. I will pray, and please don't forget that you and your group definitely planted seeds in that parish, and your sacrifice has been an example to others. Our Holy Father has been a great model for us in many ways, a true humble servant of God. We will miss our Holy Father, and the parish will miss you and your beautiful music, but we also know that you will be keep doing great works for His Church.

• Tomboysuze,

My best recommendation would be to search for parishes in the area that have the Latin mass (Extraordinary Form). Best place to find up-to-date info is www.ecclesiaedei.org. I mention this, because a job in such a position will likely be more stable. This is my best advice, considering my first position with a parish (part-time) has come through an FSSP parish here in Texas. Good music is truly valued at the Latin mass. Some info I found:
    BALTIMORE Archdiocese
    Baltimore
    St. Alphonsus Church
    W H Sunday: 11:30 AM; 1st Sat, 12:10 PM
    Holy Days: 7:00 PM

Hagerstown
    St Mary Church W
    Sunday: 2:00 PM As of 11 Sep, 2011

WASHINGTON Archdiocese
    Benedict
    St. Francis de Sales Church
    W Sunday: 11:00 AM

Gaithersburg
    St. John Neuman
    W Sunday: 1:30 PM new time Oct 2010
    Mass started 21 Feb, 2010

Silver Spring
    Old St. John Evangelist Church
    W Sunday: 8:00 AM

And there are WAY too many parishes in the Arlington diocese to list here. You can find them on the website above. Also saw there was one or two in the Wilmington DE diocese.
    God Bless your efforts, and the young people who have flocked to you, excited to do excellent music!

Kimberly W.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I'm deeply saddened to hear of what has happened at your parish, Susan. Meditating on your troubling experience, and on that of other servants of Sacred Music known to me personally, I was comforted by the text of the Tract appointed for today (Feb 12, The Seven Holy Founders of the Order of Servites of the Blessed Virgin Mary):

Qui seminant in lacrimis,
    in gaudio metent.
    Euntes ibant, et flebant,
    mittentes semina sua.
    Venientes autem venient cum exultatione,
    portantes manipulos suos.

My prayers are with you.
  • TCJ
    I'm sorry to hear of your situation (yet another one!). I went through something similar, though not nearly so bad. Although, in that case, it wasn't just the pastor, but also the main cantor who pretended to be all friendly and supportive and then stabbed me in the back. I'm only glad I didn't have a LOT invested (though it sounds as if you did), although it hurt a lot particularly because that was my home parish.

If you're not given an opportunity there it's probably because you're needed elsewhere or, perhaps, something in the future at the one church wouldn't be good for you. The latter turned out to be true for me. Shortly after I was encouraged to walk out the door, the pastor resigned and the new one came and he is absolutely awful. I feel fortunate that I don't have to work for him.

I'll say some prayers for you.
    Thanked by 2francis tomboysuze
  • Blaise
    Tomboysuze,

My condolences to you on your termination from your position. My God find you a parish who desires true sacred music and a priest willing to support you. St. Cecilia, patroness of music, pray for them.

And to all: on this Shrove Tuesday, the eve of Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent in the Latin Church, look only to God and put your trust in no man save that of Jesus Christ through the intercession of His saints.
  • Your priest broke the news during Mass??? Are you a member of the AGO? We have very specific guidelines for termination. I imagine the parish does not care much if AGO members are barred from working there, but a letter to the Bishop is certainly in order. I have never heard of such unprofessional behavior.
    Public humiliation is NOT good for the soul. It denigrates us all when a member of our species acts thusly.
  • Kathy
    I am so sorry, Tomboysuze. I know you worked hard to make a great program, and somehow it has backfired. Really awful and confusing and painful. I will be praying for you.

Moreover, priests should be aware that the public nature of this kind of HR disaster is a PR disaster as well. I know a parish where this happened, under different circumstances, but in the same public way. Years and years later people are still emotional about it, both choir members and parishioners.
  • Ally
    I am so sorry for you.
    The whole situation really sounds terrible, and deeply saddening.

Many prayers for you and your wonderful musicians (and for the parish too).
  • francis
    TBS... what can one say in the "face" of this? Our prayers are with you.

http://vultus.stblogs.org/Sacra-sindone.jpg

better image:

http://bethevenson.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/jesus-0131.jpg
  • A lovely letter to the congregation for the bulletin...

An article in the Catholic paper about leaving and your availability....

Possibly someone with a heart might actually publish them
  • In our prayers.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I am with you 100% in your current trial. Poor people skills and lack of conviction in a leader can be fatal. Perhaps, it is time for us organists to accept that changes are going to happen at a very slow rate. Engage the ignorant and nay sayers with grace and be very close to them in order to defeat their misguided views of church. Take very small, yet firm and important steps forward. Sometimes it is like being on a mine field, but we know we will persevere. These are interesting times of great changes and I am very proud to have colleagues like you. We will pray together and serve God's one true church.
  • Jani
    What everyone else said.....me, too. :-(
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I agree wholeheartedly. However, I do think you need to think about having some of those 200 express their support. It is likely to get the pastor's back up, so you will have to use your discretion and pay. The reason that the nay-sayers win so often (aside from dumping money on parishes) is that the good-spirited people tend to be of the 'don't criticize the Church" variety. Your pastor may not even know that he was two-faced. He was saying one thing to you, planning to do another, but that is just how he has fallen into dealing with people. If the orthodox let the pastors know that they were there and would not keep silent, some things would change.

But it requires good judgment.

FWIW.

Kenneth
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I'm so overwhelmed by this outpouring of solidarity that I'm truly at a loss for words and can only thank all of you - - for your kindness. It is a profound comfort and I and my little staff of musicians at the parish - are profoundly grateful. My heart was broken by this, but your understanding has gone a long way toward helping in that regard. Your friendship is an embarrassment of riches.

But, my conscience has been bothering me about posting this whole thing - because it doesn't tell the whole story about my Pastor. So, in fairness to him, I want to be clear in saying that although he allowed himself to be pressured and it's clear now that he intentionally misled me, I feel compelled to remind myself of his goodness. Whatever his faults, I cannot leave my impression of him - and therefore the impression that I've given on this forum - of him as a bad man.

The fact is, I still do have respect for him and I believe that someday he'll remember who he is and be worthy of that respect. So, I'll keep it on the shelf, waiting. It costs me nothing to do so anyway.

Your prayers have doubtless helped me to remember the goodness of this man and the fun of planning this music program with him..... how excited he was when we began this project. It was Father Ze who invited me to try singing from the choir loft that was full of junk. It was Father Ze who got rid of the terrible organ - and helped me push ahead to rent a decent digital one. He was so pleased to hear Palestrina in his church for the first time. He smiled and sat on the steps of the altar while we rehearsed, listening. Happy. He sent me a text telling me that he had prayed for the music program whilst kneeling before a holy relic. He is faithful to his vocation as best he can be, celibate, prayerful, kind, shy and awkward.

He's also an arrogant blockhead, it is true. But he has been thrust into an impossible situation, in a foreign country. The Parish was handed over to his Order (of St. Charles Borromeo) two years ago as a hulking mess. The Archdiocese couldn't be bothered with cleaning up the chaotic, disorganized, debt-ridden parish they had presided over. He had to learn both English and Spanish at the same time when he got here. And for the past two years, he's lived alone in a rectory full of mold. He cooks for himself, washes his own clothes and buys his own groceries. He personally has cleaned out room after room of rotting junk. He has had to manage a parish of wackos out of control and at the end of the day, his head is spinning. He's very private and reserved, but we were friends and I still consider him thus. He's tired, overwhelmed, and weary.

And, he's mourning the death of his mother, who died on Christmas Eve - in Portugal. He cried - very briefly - on the phone when I called to express my sadness and offer help. He had to fly to Portugal to bury her and miss the first Midnight Mass in this parish in 20 years or more.....A Midnight Mass that he happily agreed to and granted at my request. (and, by the way, it was lovely...)

As so many of our situations, it is a complicated paradox.

The fact that anything good has been able to happen in this parish is completely the work of the Holy Spirit - who has quite the ironic sense of humor, as we know. This parish could not be in worse shape; the odds could not have been stacked against us more sharply; and the probability that I could have crafted such a lovely program from nothing is nil. (well, maybe a little more than nil, but not much.) What God has actually done in this graceful, old church -- that is, unfortunately, falling apart - is stunning. Frankly, I'm grateful that He thought of me and brought me along for the ride.

Because, truthfully, I didn't want this job. No one would. The parish is a mess; buildings in disrepair; massive debt; dwindling American congregation; fighting choirs of different cultural origins and no resources at all. The parish had not had a DM in over 15 years - the "choirs' sang from a sort of 'bandstand' area in front of the church and the organ was straight out of a ball park. THe choir loft was used for storage. - When I was offered this job, suddenly, out of the blue during a brief meeting I had been asked to attend just to give my advice - I told God I didn't want it. I ran. I hid. He found me and it was clear that this was a gift. Only God can play such an obvious hand. "here's everything you don't want....try it....trust me..."

I consider this whole thing a great success. Life is messy. We are living anachronisms. The Church is in disarray - attacked from within and without. All we can do is hunker down, do our best and have a very handy sense of humor.

At the end of the day, Father Ze deserves my respect for trying. He fell, quite spectacularly before reaching the finish line, and whilst stumbling took us out -- but he will have to face the cacophony that I'm afraid will come to fill in the void. And that is perfect, holy justice. Not that I need a pound of his flesh, I don't. But, being a priest of the order of Melchizedek is a daunting task and his temperament renders him a lonely leader. I keep thinking of a quote from the Screwtape letters:

“Courage is not simply one of the virtues but the form of every virtue at the testing point, which means at the point of highest reality. ”

It was a crazy project and a wild, great ride. Who am I not to be grateful?

Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart. And so - "once more into the breach, my friends!"

I think i'll wait a bit, but if you hear of a breach - do write. ;)

Necessary footnotes:

1. Initially, the Pastor wanted us to sign contracts for a year, but his finance committee proposed a six month trial period.That period was extended by two months in December.

2. The Pastor did tell me that budget for the program had to be cut by 50% by March 1 - and only myself and an organist would be kept on. However, I declined that arrangement and instead proposed a plan that would spread the cuts over everyone and buy a little more time for the program. Unfortunately, I have come to find out that this was not, as I suspected, about money. It was about the little group of liberal parishioners who consider this parish to be their province and property - and who they want in and who they want out.

Chuck, you were spot on in your analysis - from the targeted negative announcement that was meant to demoralize the many people that want good sacred music - to the "designed for failure" survey.

And, as Kenneth said, this situation is how he has come to deal with the parish by default and " if the orthodox let the pastors know that they were there and would not keep silent, some things would change."

It's just so absurd that pastors are even tricked into thinking they should take a survey to start with. As a friend said, "Why don't they take a survey on who likes the words of transubstantiation. Maybe those are offending people."
  • Thank you, Royce. So lovely --

Qui seminant in lacrimis,
    in gaudio metent.
    Euntes ibant, et flebant,
    mittentes semina sua.
    Venientes autem venient cum exultatione,
    portantes manipulos suos.

Those who sow in tears
    shall reap in joy.
    Going they went and wept,
    casting their seeds.
    Shall doubtless come again with rejoicing,
    carrying their sheaves.

I shall put it up in the choir loft for the next two weeks will be tough.
    (But your psalms will get us through. )

Oh and tonight we are using the The "Mass of the English Martyrs" so I have to go learn the alto part....

a few pics of my lovely, talented "staff" and choir

3264 x 2448 - 2M
    1961 x 1156 - 528K
    2019 x 1260 - 963K
    1068 x 1214 - 322K
    2875 x 2157 - 554K
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    1565 x 2086 - 826K
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • As we can see here, that whenever a priest says that money is the issue and one offers to work for free, money is not the issue.

It's unfortunately a proven fact that this is an excuse priests are encouraged to use by influential members trying to get their own way. So, Father thinks, well, if Bill suggested it - he's well respected in the KOC and in business and all, this is what I'll say.

Bill, being an @#$%^&* and self-centered, is totally unaware that many of us would volunteer to work for free to help out in the awful financial crisis that does not exist, so Bill, remember, he's an !@#$%^^&*, fails to warn Father what to say if we offer to work for free.

After all of this, Father's confused and without a music program, we are looking for other opportunities, but the best part is that Bill's still an !@#$%^&.

[your mileage may vary]

[no, I did not intend to work at the last Catholic church and sincerely, sincerely doubt that I would ever again, so I can say what I please. This makes others on the list look much more appealing to be hired, and I am pleased if this helps.]
  • ryandryand
    That article is so bizarre. Why would the priest restrict use of the CHOIR room for MUSIC lessons?

With the new archbishop on his way, hopefully that group will find some more support from the top-down.
  • ryandryand
    tomboysuze, sorry for your struggles. We're in a tough line of work ... sometimes I'm discouraged by things like this ... sometimes inspired (the good must prevail over the not-so-good!).

Sounds like you have an excellent attitude / balanced-perspective on all of this. That is a great grace from God, and let's praise Him for that!

I will pray for your future endeavors in this art "...of inestimable value, greater even than that of any other..." [SC 112]
  • Thank you ryand....It is grace. ...as I am actually somewhat bi-polar at the moment. Still there...doing these last two weeks (in solidarity w/ Benedict). But, not sure what to do and what to think. So - I'm just doing my thing for two more weeks and praying....a lot.

Sad thing is, Father seems to be falling apart. He's obviously in a state of confusion and pain. He's forgetting parts of the mass, saying the wrong part; forgetting to give the final blessing, sitting with his head in his hands, voice cracking, and when two of my young vocalists knelt at the side of the altar to receive communion on Ash Wed., he walked toward them, got a look of panic on his face and asked another priest to give them communion and just walked away. He sat slumped in his chair on the altar while the visiting priests gave communion. He NEVER DOES THAT. Today, he dropped the chalice and consecrated hosts came spilling out onto the rug at the main choral mass.

Please pray for him. I don't quite know what to make of all of this. But last night a parishioner came up to the choir loft and said how much she liked the mass; and then said, I don't think you should go. I said, it's a done deal, I've resigned. She said, just keep an open mind.

Truly, God only knows. Thanks Jeff and Froggie...xo
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen melofluent
  • chonakchonak
    About that article about the problem in Portland, keep in mind that the kerfuffle happened ten years ago.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Ok. That's kind of an amazing co-incidence. A choir member from that choir "Cantores in Ecclesia" sings with my choir! She's always talking about that experience and just remarked, "What's happening to us is the same thing that happened to my old choir in Portland!" She works for the USCCB, too.

How's that for your theory on "things that have some connection surfacing in your life at the same time" Jeffrey - not just for new words, eh?
  • Adding my two cents, a similar thing happened to me a year and a half ago and I'm still struggling to overcome the feeling of betrayal by my priests. I'll keep visiting this thread for a lesson on handling the situation with grace and humility.
  • Guadalupe, I'm so sorry. I do feel betrayed and confused! And, sure, I'm angry and depressed. What I find astounding, tho, is how absurd things have become for all of us. It seems like a majority of the folks on this forum have some type of similar experience to report! This also happened at my last parish 8 yrs. ago.

This is the state of our Church. It's like our work environment has become a Three Stooges movie, where we are definitely "Curly" -- and Mo likes us one minute and is pulling our teeth out with pliers the next! (By the way, do you know who the Three Stooges are?) Although it IS PERSONAL - it's not personal. Priests who engage in this type of behavior have also betrayed God and they will have to atone for their actions.

Ironically, at the rehearsal I held right before the weekend when Father made the fateful announcement, I happened to be praying to St. Cecilia that everything might be ok. Just at that moment, a thought entered my head from John 15:20 "Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also.

Then I realized that St. Cecilia had her throat slashed and bled for several days. So, where did that leave me? When I mentioned this to the choir that night, two people gave me a "look" and said they thought I was "over-thinking things."

I just smiled and said, "You've never worked for the Church, have you?"

Guadalupe, you'll be in my prayers.
    2500 x 1936 - 1M
  • miacoyne
    I was reminded a few weeks ago from a priest's homily that 'prophets suffer.' Most musicians here are the ones who have visions in accordance with the Church's in sacred liturgy and music, and not many people understand that until the time comes. I have to pray everyday and remind myself that we have to endure the persecution and trust Him. Our Holy Father must suffer a lot too. Even if he continues to set examples in the Holy Mass, how many people actually even pay attention?
  • I couldn't agree more, Mia. That truth is found in every aspect of this vocation. The only thing that works for me, is to strive for a kind of 'kenosis' or emptying of oneself - especially one's ego - so that you can get out of the way and allow the Holy Spirit to come through. And then if we can make it up that mountain, (and often, I can't or don't) then the next challenge is to remain charitable and patient with EVERYONE - as best we can in the moment - (then go to confession and begin again.)

But suffering is always part of the metaphysical equation - at least it always is for me. (and for some reason, public humiliation often gets thrown in.) No one can really prepare us for this, because finding it out on your own is the whole point of the process. No pain - no gain.

• miacoyne
    Yes, that's the challenge.
    Even if I know that our Lord also endured the public humiliation, I don't think I can take it well for myself. Thank you for sharing, and we are blessed to have this forum to get support.
  • You will go through, i believe in that.. God bless you!
    http://greenavis.com/
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze