Technology of a Church Musician
  • francis
    Charles got me started on this one as he mentioned that he uses the same keyrig I have. Thought I would show you my whole setup. I call it the Koerborg Cube(icle). For those of you who know anything about the Borg, cubes are in. What technology do you all use?

The KoerBorg Cube : http://www.franciskoerber.com/theKoerBorgCube.jpg
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • DougS
    Makes you wonder how Ockeghem did anything.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Is this in your home or do some people accidentally wander into this place looking for the DRE's office and wonder where they are?
  • I use the Keyrig as well....but we need to talk about the HotWheels....
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    All y'all are way to modern for me. The best i can do is use a keurig for coffee 24/7.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • ryandryand
    At work or at home?

Work is an antique Dell PC and a corkboard for calendars, etc, plus the piano and organ in the church. Home is my laptop and a piano.
  • canadashcanadash
    I thought this post was "Theology of a Church Musician." I'm preparing a TOB talk tomorrow and I'm going crazy.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • I use one laptop, one printer, one photocopier and one pipe organ.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Forget the keurig - I can't even get the microwave to work!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    No specialized equipment, but my pc has great posture.
    Also, the three-monitor spread is, IMHO, pretty sweet.

If only I could find a more attractive model for photos.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, "except" for you, AW, it looks very much like Eric Whitacre's rig! But he used one long monitor (this was his "musical" about the angels which I caught at a preview at CSU Northridge a decade or so ago.)
    I just have my keyrig 49 sitting on a Yamaha PSR61 (It torqued me that Finale 2012 aced the PSR series out of ability to input) so I can "doodle" any musical ideas before putting them into the Finale.) No major audio for playback.
  • francis
    Doug:

I still like composing Ockeghem style.

MatthewJ:

Yea, people look a little befuddled when they stumble upon this in the basement of a church.

Noel:

I am NOT giving up my hotwheels collection! Took me months to assemble that a coupl'a cars at a time.

canadash:

I would like to hear your talk! Please record and post!

Adam:

That is killer! I was spying the ridiculous mac monitor (i think it's 27"), but the price is 1k and someone would probably steal it anyway.
  • CharlesW
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I love that this is in the basement of the church. If it were in your home it would be kinda interesting, but the fact that its onsite is just fantastic.

"Oh you have questions about the music program? Come with me to MY LAIR...."
  • GavinGavin
    I have a computer at home. I got it in 2003. I have a laser printer also, ten years older.

That's about it.
  • BenBen
    In my office, I have a laptop on my desk hooked to an external monitor (which I use alongside the built-in display, for a two monitor spread), GABC cheat-sheet stapled to my wall, and an electric keyboard in the basement, where there's more space. My books (SEP, BFW, PBC, Chabanel, VII, etc...) are on a shelf above the computer.

Love the monitor spread, Adam.
  • What happened to the good old days of acoustic guitars and Glory & Praise. Those were the days my friends :)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    Nerds to the left, nerds to the right..... Francis could launch satellites with that setup. LOL
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Nerds to the left (of me,) nerds to the right, does that mean we're...
    Stuck in the middle with you?
  • CharlesW
    Who knows? Charles, I was always sure you were a secret Jesuit, not a nerd.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    CW, the purple was a parody quote of the old Gerry Rafferty song!
    But I sorta take the "Jesuit" mention as a left handed compliment. I think they'd show me the monastery door out about day three of the thirty one Ignatius retreat most likely.
    Were I to go schismatic, it'd probably be to some Old Catholic St. Cumberland of Cape Fear Nonsedavacantist Celibate Polygamist Uniate Metropolitan of Flea Hill North Carolinian Province of FuschiaFriars, Inc. Don't bother looking, it's off the grid, even to the Massad. But they got me when I went fishing, stumbled upon the graveyard, went inside the chapel and they had 100 copies of St. Pius X hymnal! Heaven, I'm in heaven.
    Not really technically oriented there because the Prior is also the relic, hmmm. When I asked the interim abbot about the pump organ bellows. He didn't reply. But when I was shown my cell later after compline, there was a vellum post it note with this message: "You have enough hot air, you can be the bellows if you want the organ to sound." We're still a capella.
  • CharlesW
    LOL
  • Francis, I like the blessed salt the best.
  • francis
    Patricia:

It's the most "high tech" thing I own.

I am constantly using it high and low, along with this prayer:

C.S.P.B.: CRUX SANCTI PATRIS BENEDICTI The cross of our Holy Father Benedict
    C.S.S.M.L.: CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX May the Holy Cross be my light!
    N.D.S.M.D.: NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX! May the dragon never be my guide
    V.R.S.: VADE RETRO SATANA Begone Satan!
    N.S.M.V.: NUNQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA! - Never tempt me with your vanities!
    S.M.Q.L.: SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS What you offer me is evil.
    I.V.B.: IPSE VENEA BIBAS Drink the poison yourself!

“PAX” is written under the Cross: the motto of the Congregation of Cassino and of the entire Benedictine Order.
  • Desk Surface, 24" by 24":
    MacBook Air
    MacBook Pro
    iPad
    Widescreen Monitor (stored under harpsichord when not in use)
    KeyRig 49 stashed up in the loft.
    Roland C-30 Harpsichord
    Roland Church Organ, couple of single manual ones as well.
    Violoncello, Klotz, 1830 - two cello cases (extra cello cases are hard to give away!)
    (house is 600 sq. ft. I have a VERY tolerant musician wife)
  • francis
    Noel

I want the C-330 for our church to replace the horrendous Allen we have now... actually the 380. Is there a way we can do a trial run with the intent to convince and sell the parish on it?
  • Most organ builders, pipe & digital, are interested in doing things to assist a church in deciding if what they build might be a good match for the church's needs. (which is a yes) Of course, it might be required to you to give up your HotWheels collection as part of the negotiations. I actually got the cello because a Catholic church had been given a harp they never used.