question for organ builders and pipe organ tuners
  • Hello,

Back in October of 2012, I along with a organ friend (pipe organ tuner also) was able to get the pipe organ working in the loft at the church. It was not used for 15 years for various reasons that I can talk all day about! (One being it would cost the parish half a million to fix supposedly!) The console is from 1930's and the pipes are from 1986 in the pipe chambers. Some of the pipes and stops have been changed in the 1970's and 1980's renovation. When turning on the organ for the first time, we realized the organ itself was sharp, meaning the three manuals and pedal were sharp.

My question to all organ builders and pipe organ tuners is the following: Was the last company who tuned this organ did they tune it sharp or is it possible the whole organ shifted towards being sharp over 15 years?? The organ is currently at A442.7 After having a conversation with a few different organ builders and people who know organs, they said back in the later 19th century and early 20th century most organs were tuned to different tempermants. What are your thoughts??

How challenging is it going to be to get this instrument back to A440?? My friend would charge the church 500 dollars to tune the organ and sadly they don't have that amount of money to put into the organ. My friend has come down and done little spot tunings and tuned the organ to itself and not to A440 since the church doesn't have the funds right now.

If you want to hear the instrument: check out www.youtube.com/user/kkrommer. The pipe organ videos from the loft start at the 4th video down on the video list (I believe it's Now Thank We All Our God by Charles Callahan) and the three videos after Now Thank We. At the description section of the video, I have provided a link to the console stops and more information can be found on the organ there.

Thanks so much!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    A change in the air temperature of 1°F will cause a corresponding change of about 0.1% in the speed of sound and hence also a change of about 0.1% in frequency of a note. Since 2.7/440 is about 0.005, this suggests that if you drop the temperature by about 5°F, the organ should perform very close to A440. Put differently, if the temperature was about 5 degrees cooler than when you measured A442.7, then the organ was probably tuned to A440 at that time.

Thus, if maintaining a constant fixed pitch is your concern, it is imperative (1) to maintain a fixed temperature for performances, and (2) to have the organ tuned at that performance temperature (or an adjustment made of about 2.2Hz from A440 per 5 degrees difference in temperature at time of tuning).

Temperament (such as equal, quarter comma meantone, Kirnberger II, etc.) is an entirely different matter.
    Thanked by 1Felicity
  • when you mention dropping the temperature about 5 degrees F, you mean in the organ chamber? How do I do that?? By doing that, I wouldn't need to tune the organ? I can just drop the temperature and it will be close to A440.

In having a discussion with the organist who was there during that time 15 years ago, he said the organ needed a brighter colorization and that is why it was tuned on the sharp side.

Since starting this operation with reusing the pipe organ, we have come across cyphers often. Most in the manuals but a few times in the pedal (which won't shut off since the wind is always blowing thru them). I want to prioritize looking at rebuilding that pedal chest so that I can easily shut off any manual cyphers by hand. If I know that the pedals won't cypher, I would be using the instrument every week. There are so many factors that could go wrong, it's a very iffy situation every time I want to use the organ in the loft, turn it on before mass, and there's a cypher that I don't have time to crawl in the chamber and find before mass. :-/
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Yes, in the organ chamber. But assuming the organ chamber is pretty much connected to the entire space, it means lowering the thermostat by about 5 degrees. That is something that may or may not be acceptable.

As for aiming for a "brighter" sound, I understand tuning to a higher pitch, although I don't subscribe to it. There are a number of professional orchestras now that tune to A442 or higher for that "brighter" sound.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    CHG-

Does the air-temperature pitch-change affect all instruments?
    That is, if the room-temp is bending all pitches up, would it bend them all up by the same amount?

mm923-

Unless you are planning to play the organ along with another fixed-pitch instrument (piano, the other organ in the room, a set of handbells), I'm not sure I understand what difference the sharp-tuning makes, as long as the instrument is self-consistent.
  • I have always played organs that are a440. I am going to go by my organ tuner friend says and what he thinks is the best idea. He is the one tuning, knows the instrument and is helping me out on getting this project going, so what he says "goes" in my mind! :-)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    No, my discussion refers to sounds generated by pipes. Brass and woodwind instruments are thus also affected, BUT ...

... The relevant temperature for these instruments is the temperature of the air in the pipe (or tube), which after playing for a minute or two rapidly approaches the temperature of the exhaled breath (usually higher than the room temperature). This is why one often sees wind instrument players blowing air into their instruments before playing, especially in cool venues.

String instruments are affected by temperature changes in a different manner, due to the expansion coefficients for the string materials, which directly impact the string tension (and pitch). Of course, you're probably aware of how a piano goes out of tune with the change of seasons (temperature) and needs retuning at least twice (preferably 4 times) a year.

Handbells would be affected differently (very little, in fact) by changes in temperature.

If there are no reed stops in the organ and it is not played with other fixed pitch instruments, temperature changes and sharp tuning would not have much effect. Reed stops exhibit a somewhat different change with changes in temperature than flue pipes, because of the characteristics of the metal tone generating reed and (for some stops) shorter resonators), but unless there are big temperature changes, the effect is not much different than that for flue pipes.

Also, some organs have their wind supply that draws air from a location different from the organ chamber or performance space, and the temperature of the air being supplied to the pipes (as in the case of wind instrument players) will affect the sound, too. Unfortunately, this will be to varying degrees: large pipes are much less susceptible to this than short pipes.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Wow. It's really amazing anything ever sounds right.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • what do you mean, Adam? Everything sounds right? Sounds right about what?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Given the ridiculous number of factors involved in making instruments sound good, it's amazing instrumental music exists at all. A testament to the combination of divine inspiration and human ingenuity.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The earlier organs consisted of just flue pipes and were wind driven by hand or foot pumped bellows in the same space as the organ. These did not present pitch problems, even with varying temperatures.
  • If the church heat is set around 65-66 for a weekend mass and lowering it to 63, that will make the organ sound closer to a440?? When the heat is around 65 in the church, it's probably close 66 or 67 in the loft.

The current plan is to go to the music ministry meeting and tell them what we (myself and the organ tuner) have done with the organ and how we want it tuned for Holy Week and Easter. From there, I would also like to look at getting the organ pedal chest rebuilt as a priority, so that we don't have anymore pedal cyphers!

Does that sound like a good idea from both of you based on what I mentioned about the organ so far in our chat and previous posting regarding the organ in the loft/YouTube video's etc??

• Protasius
    What is the problem if the organ is tuned to a'=443Hz? I played a historic organ tuned to a'=467Hz, which didn't pose problems to the congregation or myself.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Does that sound like a good idea from both of you

I have no idea what's a good idea or not. I know almost nothing about organs.
    I'm just here out of curiosity.

That being said, here is what I would do in your situation:

-Don't attempt to re-tune the entire instrument. Someone in the past thought the sharp-tuning sounded better. It seems too much work and too much money to reverse that decision. If you ever need to play the organ along with a string ensemble or something, they can tune to it- happens all the time.

-Figure out what the minimum amount of work/effort/expense is needed to make it usable for regular services (fixing the pedal chest?) and do that. If you can afford to pay for yourself, do it. (Reserve the money from your regular tithe if you have to.)

-Put together a presentation for the decision makers in your parish about how awesome the organ is, along with an incremental plan for fixing it. ($500 for this; another $1000 for that, etc...)

-See if there are any grants you can apply for- historical preservation stuff, cultural foundations, whatever. There may be free money for the asking.

-Find out if there are any rich music-lovers in the parish.
  • redsox1
    Unless you're going to be playing along with fixed-pitched instruments, I wouldn't worry about the pitch too much, unless the pitch is bothersome to you. With the flues there won't be any real issues with speech or character, unless the pitch difference is just simply ridiculous. The reeds are another issue. At the current pitch do they seem to be full-bodied or do they sound "choked?" You might experiment with a reed rank and try tuning it to the desired pitch. If the reeds come to life at the lower pitch, I would try to get the whole instrument repitched lower.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • "I have always played organs that are a440." Sorry, but you have not taken a tuner with you and checked the pipe organs you have played.

2.7 is nothing...it's not "tuned" to 442.7. It was 442.7 at that time It will be lower than 440 and higher than 440 depending on the season and the temperature and the humidity.

I'd back off on the "historical interest" aspect because the builder you have mentioned is virtually unknown - which means there is little historical interest in his work, and the pipework has been "messed" with which further reduces the historical and actual value of it. There are many instruments around like this, unfortunately. You have to think of it as being like a choir hace has had three or four different directors, each trying to take it in a different direction and the effects show.

A pipe organ of value is one that has been designed by a real expert in tonal design, possibly using some original pipes of value, but filling the holes in the tonal scheme with new pipework, to create an overall ensemble of beauty. You will find that even Aeolian-Skinner organs, considered by many to be the finest are judged to be different in quality depending on which person did the final voicing. Even Moller, which was considered to be an "average" builder, had some instruments that excelled because of the voicer.

Daniel Angerstein was a voicer at A/S. then came in Moller and revoiced some average instruments into grand organs. Now he's still doing that for organs all over. His ears, and those of experts like him, make golden organs. But they choose wisely, for failure on their part is bad for business. Silk purses are never made out of....

If you want to get a good idea of what the value, musically as an organ, is, contact John Bishop at Organ Clearing House. He may already know of the instrument, and he is in a position to tell you the strong and weak points and even, if you are interested, in developing a plan to improve the organ and explain what needs done to your parish.

Relying on your friend is not going to help you a lot in dealing with the pastor, since he's come in as your friend, unfortunately. Going to them and telling them what you want them to do for two weeks out of the year that are coming up is going to sound like a waste of money to them - and why spend the money to rebuild the pedal chest when they are paying you to play the organ that works already?

If you were to volunteer to pay your friend to do the work....I'll guarantee they would refuse to let you do that.

A parish is a business. Money comes in and goes out. Disturbing the flow of money can very quickly cause an employee to actively improve the retention of parish money - when the pastor call you in and fires you and finds someone willing to play the organ you have now.

I had an organist, we'll call him Andy 'cause that was his name, come to town and I got him an interview at a Catholic church. After 6 months, he went to the pastor and insisted they spend $200,000 on a pipe organ (25 years ago) so that he could teach organ lessons on it and afford to stay there. Pastor solved the problem by firing him.

Friends who knew him used to say that during music school Andy seemed to just spend way too much time in the practice room....and not enough stepping back and analyzing what his job was and how to satisfy his boss.

The best way to improve the organ is to find out if it deserves being saved and then creating a long-term plan to improve it and do your job so well that people will want to join your effort. They have to come to you. Now, if they have asked you to come to the music ministry meeting to discuss ways to improve the pipe organ, go for it, the time is right. But if not you may put your position in jeopardy.

You sound rather young and this position is just another stepping stone on what we hope will be a long line of churches that you will serve so, though I may sound negative, keep your chin up. There may be a better organ in another church just waiting for you!

If you have an iPhone there is a great strobe tuner you can get and begin going from organ to organ - and checking the tuning. I assisted in the presentation of a faculty paper at Baldwin Wallace College involving digital and pipe organs by a professor. We pulled the strobe out and kept retuning the digital to the Casavant --- for half an hour as students came in and out the back door, each time changing the tuning of the A on the C up and down...it was amazing...up an down more than 2.7...

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I have given up worrying about tuning. I had the organ tuned a week before Christmas a few years ago, thinking it might be in good tune for Midnight Mass. The outside temperature dropped significantly two days before Christmas. At Midnight Mass, it sounded like the instrument hadn't been tuned in years. Tuning on pipe organs is almost a seldom-win situation.
  • jczarn
    For reference (and for fun), you can see how a change in temperature affects the speed of sound, and consequently how it changes the resonant frequencies of air columns in cylinders:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/opecol.html
    Thanked by 1Felicity
  • Fun fact: while colder temps make your pipes go flat, the will make your bells and chimes go sharp. This is important if you have a bell choir.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thnks, jczarn! I was looking for that link.

For A440 at a temperature of 20C (68F), enter a length of 0.390568 meters. Change the temperature to 15C (59F), and the frequency drops to A436.0956. Bump the temperature up to 25C (77F) and the frequency goes up to A443.9047.

As for bells, although they are affected by temperature changes (increasing temperature lowers the pitch), the amount is quite small, roughly -0.24 cent per 1C change in temperature. A 1C change in temperature will cause a change of a little more thann 2 cents (higher for a temperature increase). The effect is thus about 7 to 8 times more drastic for flue pipes than for bells.
  • Agreed. My main point is that not only does temperature affect both instruments, but that it affects both instruments in opposite directions, which increases the "out-of-tunage."

Also, it's much harder to tune your bells.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Organ tuners should note the temperature and humidity on the day that they come in to tune the instrument. Last Christmas, in the few hours before midnight mass there was a massive drop in temperature (about 15 degrees celcius) and a huge increase in humidity (from about 60% to 90%). In those scenarios little can be done.

Our organ is also tuned to about A=446Hz. This is because it was rebuilt from an instrument made in 1898 - many years before pitches were standardised. It is a factor that other instrumentalists have to deal with. It also means that I tend to sing slightly on the sharp side - at least I don't sag in pitch in other places.