Ear methods for learning the modes
  • I taught myself to read chant ten years ago. I found the books available then confusing for the solo learner, until there was a reference to "do" as an early form of "C" in the intro to the L. Usualis. I then based my learning on the keyboard.

Physiological psychology studies since then have determined what any language learner knows: your sense of pitch is fixed by how your learned it before puberty. (That's why someone like Arnold Schwarzenegger can speak so much more literately and idiomatically than most American politicians or actors and still sound the way he does. He learned English at 17, too late to get rid of the Austrian accent. We'll just skip over questions of what he DOES with his considerable language skills, which are not the same as acting skills or political competence.)

Anyway, I did not come from a musical family, and so my sense of pitch is tied exclusively to the keyboard. Studies apparently indicate that will always be true. After ten years (with some time for illness), I only recently liberated myself from the keyboard for Chant. I felt to lazy one morning a few months ago, didn't want to walk over the keyboard, so I just picked "do" out of the air and started singing on LA or whatever. Then I checked the melody--I was right. I had sightread some complicated chants a year earlier, but not forced myself to keep it up. In short, it took a long time to get to that point. I suspect it will be some time before it is natural.

Which is a long way of saying that it is wrong to demand that someone of average musical skills in my position be a purist and learn strictly from a demonstration of the scales.

HOWEVER, it would seem that for someone who was raised singing, some ear method would work fine, and would save a lot of time.

What methods are there for developing that ability for someone who already can hear music strictly by ear?

Thanks.

Kenneth

• Of course, the easiest way to learn chant is to join a schola with a good director and stand next to someone who knows what they are doing. Not systematic, but instantly gratifying.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Kenneth, it seems to me that the ability to at least recognize the two clefs visibly as needed references to audiating.
    Outside of that, I think that using the two tetrachords is the primary touchstone.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm not sure there are good tools/methods. It's a shame, really.

The technological/solo-learner tools for ear training of any sort are exclusively common-practice, and lame anyway.

My impression (probably unfounded) is that the only people who are interested in building this kind of software are primarily computer geeks, with a minor interest in music theory. You really need a good programmer working together with a fine music teacher to build something useful. And it seems (to me) that the only people who are really qualified to do so think that you can't learn it that way, that you need to adhere to a classical teacher/pupil (or conductor-singer) model. (The perfect getting in the way of the good.)

That's just my impression, though.

I have long wanted to design and build a music theory and (especially) ear-training/sight-singing program. But while my skill sets (coding, music, and teaching) are wide enough to grasp the problem, not a one is deep enough to do anything about it.
  • I have had the same dream, because music school is increasingly for rich kids and yet the skill is naturally occurring and should be developed in anyone who can do it. I regret not being exposed to ear training earlier. It would have saved me years. As it was, I have a superb classical teacher, but I would have to work through what I had learned at the colloquium and from reading and have each chant thoroughly analyzed before I got to class--good exercise, but a lot of work.
  • And what you say, Adam, goes my Ironclad Rule of Musical Failure: most musicians prevent themselves from making a more successful career for themselves for mostly psychological reasons. Mostly, the perfect is always the enemy of the good. The musicians who make it are the ones who are willing to do whatever is required of them without complaint.

The guitarist with whom I share practice space is kind of a classic instance of this, and he notices things like the house band on American Idol a few years ago, which seemed to be holding back, that they sounded like much better musicians. He does not EVER want to be in that position, so he is stuck scrounging for jobs much below his ability.

The payoff came the year after he noticed that: the American Idol bandleader was Ricky Minor, who was given the plum job in house bands on the Tonight Show, with a host who loves music. Then all these jazz greats started sitting in, and the band plays whatever it wants to. But he started making demos with Whitney Houston. It seems to me that psychological barrier exists in all musicians in every form--they have a very clear idea of the ideal, and it hurts them to settle.

Not that that is relevant, except for any musician out there who is struggling: get over that point.

Kenneth
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I think it would be a great project to create a program based on Ward. The only way to sell Ward today would be to bring it up to date with technology. Imagine interactive Ward lessons taught by qualified teachers that could be played on smart-boards or iPods or whatever. The classroom teacher wouldn't have to do anything other than set time aside for it each day. Then when the music teacher gets their limited class time some real music making could occur. Unfortunately I don't' have the programming knowledge to create such software. And no it wouldn't be as ideal as having a trained teacher interacting with the students on a daily basis. Still it would be better than nothing, which is what is happening now.
  • bgeorge77
    Sorry to spam, but I think my little program (for Android and iPhone) is really helpful in this regard. I made it to fill my own need, a transposable keyboard to help me along in my sight reading:

iChant Gregorian thread

iPhone version

Android version in the Google Play store

Android version in Amazon app store

Free version for Mac
    Thanked by 1miacoyne
  • Oh, I think the more the DIY, the merrier, so thanks for the links. And the ideas.