• ryandryand
    "To be your bread now, to be your wine now, Lord, come and change us to be a sign of your love."
    Was I not paying attention in Sunday school, or is this as backwards as Christian theology can get?

Thanked by 1CCooze
  • melofluentmelofluent
    1. When did you go to Sunday School? (Rhetorical, as we did CCD or parochial school.)
    2. It's at worst, nebulous, but really not scandalous. YMMV
    3. Does anybody still sing this old Haas chestnut? (I'm channeling "25 or 6-2-4, does anybody really care?" ;-)
  • ryandryand
    1. I went to "Wednesday school" for the better part of my childhood.

2. It is scandalous. I have never been bread to Christ, nor wine to Christ. Exactly the opposite.

3. I know a few who would be too eager to sing a tune like this. It's absolute heresy and I can't believe that the bishops ever gave their approval.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    I agree with Charles that (pace Ryan) it doesn't make enough of a statement to qualify as heresy.

It's puzzling for what it emphasizes (make us bread and wine for the world [? and what does it mean to be wine?]) and what it leaves out: the spiritual source for such self-donation: the eucharistic presence of Jesus Christ. Well, it sort of gets around to that in the third verse (though with the incorrect term "wine").

Lyrics at:
    http://www.lyricsbox.com/david-haas-lyrics-to-be-your-bread-zb1kmjj.html

• melofluentmelofluent
    OK, ryan, it's heresy. Don't sing it. Pace as well.
  • Liam
    No, it's not heresy as such. It's not an elegant theological statement (then again, many even traditional hymn texts are lacking their theological elegance), but the idea that Eucharistic sacrifice and Holy Communion effect a transformation in the faithful (no transubstantiation, but nevertheless the Church affirms a presence quite real, albeit not par excellence) goes back to the Fathers. It's embedded in the multilayered meaning of "Body of Christ".
    Thanked by 2Gavin Adam Wood
  • ryandryand
    Liam,

Citations?
  • francis
    The problem with this type of theology is its watering down of the centrality of the true mystery of the Eucharist and the ignoring of the truth that JESUS is the sacrifice, and that the species is HIS body and blood, and it is ALL completed for the forgiveness of sin. It is a tendency in composing of Eucharistic hymns this day and age to CONSTANTLY apply the meaning of bread to the congregation which is blessed and broken for the world. Ryand is correct in that it is deceiving and even dangerous to the naive. So, then, heresy becomes more a subjective concept (unfortunately). I would rather say that there is an extreme error and tendency to downplay the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist because of narcissistic tendencies in the theology of the day. Does it border or even cross into heresy? Hard to make it absolutely black and white. However, see my analysis of "The Gift of Finest Wheat" on this forum, which shows the blurried theology of todays hymn writers as compared to Thomas Aquinas, and it then becomes very clear what we are dealing with today. It truly is the protestanization of the faith.
  • Steve QSteve Q
    I don't know if it is heresy or not, but I think these kinds of touchy-feely songs about us becoming "bread" can cause confusion among those who may be struggling to understand the true nature of the Eucharist. Is it merely bread - a sign, a symbolic sharing, a "meal" - or is it the true Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ? My wife says these songs are harmless, but I say why go there? Why not be crystal clear?

Even worse than the Haas, in my opinion, is Rory Cooney's "Bread of Life":

"I myself am the bread of life, You and I are the bread of life, taken and blessed, broken and shared by Christ that the world may live."

Similar concepts appear in Haas's "Now We Remain", Farrell's "Christ Be Our Light" (verse 3), and Alstott's "Gather Us Together".
  • There's a song by David Kauffman, "See What You Are" that paraphrases Augustine: "See what you are, become what you eat. You are the Body of Christ". I don't recall which sermon it paraphrases, though.
  • BruceL
    Clemens, ACTS and Kauffman were real big in my last job. I didn't have an issue, and I don't have an issue with that song...except when it's in the context of liturgical worship. I believe songs like that are fine outside of the liturgy, but inside, they are at best confusing and at worst bordering on heretical.
  • Somewhere about a year ago, I read of a poll which concluded that 70% (not 8 or 10 or 15, but seventy!) of Catholics did not believe in the real, objective, presence of Jesus in the eucharistic species. I have had friends who never miss mass and were devout practicing Catholics surprise me by saying that 'it' was only a memorial. The Catholic Church, it seems, has its own version of Anglican liberality in doctrinal matters. The song under discussion here exemplifies this phenomenon. Like those of whom Jesus said 'I will spew them out of my mouth', it is neither hot nor cold. Being explicitly vague, it means what one wants it to mean, and, therefore, is unfit for Catholic worship because it avoids saying explicitly what The Church means, teaches, and believes.
  • Liam
    Ryan

I am not your research service. This is a casual conversation. I did not ask you to cite chapter and verse how this was heresy, but responded in the same spirit as your original post. Be free to be skeptical as you will. I am a lawyer of 25 yrs experience when I am earning money; I don't do citations for free.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Spriggo
  • Liam
    MJO

That's been mythbusted elsewhere.
  • It is a prayer, addressing Christ, asking him to change us into his Body and Blood as a sign of love for the world. As noted above, this is orthodox theology, that what we receive, we are to become for the rest of the world.

Although the Eucharist is, literally, the true Body and Blood of Christ, it is also not without any symbolism at the same time.
  • rob
    Ryan -- LOL! For the lawyers among us, something to be well remembered, in the Church and in our own practices, even if a bit snarky to be said to someone outside the profession.
  • chonakchonak
    (1) Folks, please note the little reminder to post messages that are charitable and helpful.

(2) This also applies to third parties like Haas. Even though his text isn't a great expression of doctrine, as far as I can tell every line in it can be read in an orthodox manner.

(3) A search for "do catholics believe in the real presence" brings up this web page from the National (pseudo-)Catholic Reporter:
    http://ncronline.org/news/catholics-america/knowledge-and-belief-about-real-presence
    According to the poll they ran in 2011, thems as don't believe don't attend.

(4) A search for "effects of holy communion" brings up this:
    http://www.iveamerica.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=222:the-effects-of-holy-communion&Itemid=15

(5) I am so exhausted from doing those web searches I shall have to take a nap now. :-) Anyone who wants to send me money for the research is welcome to use paypal.
  • If what is being said is what appears to be being said, it is heretical. But, frankly, I don't think the statement even makes sense. I would hope the Bishop of the publishing diocese would call the composer to a meeting to explain himself before he issued any sort of permission to print....alas, I don't think that ever happens.

I agree that it surely should not be published and we have every right and responsibility to be very concerned, but I think we should take a page from Mother Church's example and investigate the source before screaming "heresy".
  • chonakchonak
    Well, what appears to be said?
  • GavinGavin
    PGA put it well. One aspect of communion is that it enables the communicants to "feed" others, hence the parallel of bread and wine.

I would say though, that such "alternate" views of communion should be carefully used. Yes we become "bread and wine", yes we are fed in a "meal", etc. But the consequences of abusing each of these aspects to the detriment of others is surely obvious. So songs like this should be used rarely and when appropriate, lest the faithful become ill-informed. It isn't a failure of the texts; it's just the same reason you wouldn't sing "Dies Irae" on Good Friday...

And, as I always say: if you evaluate selections primarily on music and secondarily on text, there wouldn't even be any question about using this song.
    Thanked by 1Steve Q
  • Bruce, I agree completely, and would never use it in liturgy.
  • francis
    PaixGioiaAmor said

It is a prayer, addressing Christ, asking him to change us into his Body and Blood as a sign of love for the world. As noted above, this is orthodox theology, that what we receive, we are to become for the rest of the world.

I refute your point totally. WE do not get changed into his body and blood. The bread and the wine do, nothing else. We do not even SYMBOLICALLY get changed into his body and blood. The 'body of Christ' is a spiritual analogy, and nothing more.

Although the Eucharist is, literally, the true Body and Blood of Christ, it is also not without any symbolism at the same time.
    "Christians" believe in the symbolism, Catholics believe in the true presence. Unfortunately, many Catholics have rejected the theology of the true presence. Do we think it is because of what is being sung at Mass each Sunday? You are what you eat, and you believe what you sing.
    Thanked by 3ryand kenstb dad29
  • chonakchonak
    It may be an exaggeration to say that the term "body of Christ" is only an analogy: cf. the encyclical Mystici Corporis Christi (1943) of Ven. Pope Pius XII.

But anyway, let's set that aside. After all, Haas' lyric doesn't speak of us becoming Christ's Body and Blood. It speaks of us becoming "bread" and "wine" as a sign of God's love -- presumably for the world. What could this mean?

The significance of bread is of course obvious. Wine in the Old Testament is a sign of messianic joy; this is why the miracle at Cana is a sign of the Lord's identity as Messiah. So the lyric is a prayer that God make us his gifts to the world to bring sustenance and joy in Christ.

Really, I don't think this song deserves a lot of attention, but I'm trying to make the point, out of a sense of obligation, that it can be interpreted in an orthodox manner, which is enough to rule out a complaint of actual heresy.
  • francis
    chonak

It isn't this particular song, but the trend in general which is concerning. We are the Body of Christ, yes, it is a spiritual reality. But to say that we are the Body and Blood of Christ, each of us, is really stretching it to say that we are actually God, or in the place of (and sometimes even REplace) God. Tis a fine line that too many dare to cross. It is why the tabernacle has been moved out of center, and man puts himself in the center. It's why musicians put themselves 'down front' instead of in the proper relational place in the liturgy. It is why the people celebrate self... and the list goes on and on. Anyway, it has been and continues to be a very sticky subject to say the least.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • What about the song which states, "Sing a new church into being" Is that heresy?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It seems to me that myopic, microscopic examination of semantics and rhetoric in song and hymn texts will yield myopic, microscopic results.
    Two apostles took point after the Ascension in the development and discipline that articulated, with the Holy Spirit, "The Way." Obviously St. Peter with a history of mistakes and missteps was one, and St. Paul, ex-sheriff, judge and executioner of followers of "the Way." Couldn't it be said that without their "song" our Church might not be singing at all two millenia later? I'm not equating Dufner with either, I'm just saying we don't have to be obsessively compulsive with our scrupulosities. Vigilant, yes. Fundamentalist, not so much.
    Thanked by 2Gavin elaine60
  • gregpgregp
    Sing the Propers. Problem solved.
  • rich_enough
    Forget the heresy question. Why not reject it simply because it's poor poetry and garbled theology?
  • marajoymarajoy
    Ruth- YES!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    Thank you, Rich.

I think our credibility dies a little bit every single time one of us uses the h-word. Why do we have to use that word over and over, when it has a very specific meaning, and often doesn't mean what we want it to mean? There are in fact very few hymns which do commit (h-word), such as Arius's "There was a time when he was not."

There are, however, a LOT of hymns which propose error. Or heterodoxy. Or state truth so poorly as to be incomprehensible. Let's use THOSE judgments more, as they have more value, and use the h-word less. The h-word is for the Church to use in solemn judgment of those who propagate serious, damnable error. It's reserved for Christological errors which affect the salvation of souls. It's not for people to use because they lack the skill to eloquently explain the shortcomings of "Songs I Don't Like."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'll repeat what I have said before with regards to "sketchy" texts. It is my opinion, so YMMV, but others have seemed to agree that it is a sensible proposal.

Some texts are CLEARLY orthodox. Any text contained in an officially approved liturgical book, for example. Faithful translations of these, also. Many fine hymns and songs which almost no one would object to on textual grounds. These are always "ok," (assuming they are otherwise appropriate choices, etc. etc.).

Some texts are CLEARLY heretical, or at the very least clearly heterodox. If I published a hymn such as:

Jesus didn't really save
    he didn't rise up from the grave,
    we only care symbolically
    and worship god ironically.*

That would be CLEARLY inappropriate and wrong.

Then there is a VAST GRAY AREA of texts which are easily interpreted in heretical ways, but which can also be interpreted in a completely orthodox way. A good deal of folk-Catholic music falls into this category, because of the theological and academic trends of the time. Often, the writers were very faithful Catholics with orthodox theology and were not intending to write anything heretical at all, but were simply trying to speak old truths in fresh ways. Unfortunately, most consumers of this music were not (for example) trained in Jesuit seminaries (or taught how to play guitar correctly, for that matter).

It is my opinion that, in some contexts (a congregation with a clearly orthodox priest and a culture of doctrinal conformity) these texts are perfectly fine, because they are not likely to be misinterpreted. In another context (an extremely liberal parish with a history of dissent and agitation) the exact same text become inappropriate, because it is being used and understood in a heretical way.

(Obviously, parish A is less likely to use hypothetical text anyway, but that's not the point.)

So- if I were in the position of "choosing hymns" (assuming Propers aren't an option, for whatever reason), I would consider the context and the likely reception.

Further- when it comes to the "appropriateness" of texts, I find the Robustness Principle to be an excellent guide:

Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others.

-------------------
    * This text is Copyright Adam Wood, and should never be used for any purpose whatsoever.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • ghmus7
    Yes-Please, I pray that this forum would not become a vehicle for potshots at absent people. It's very easy to do this, then, people that disagree will just be able to say - yes, "that's those tradtionist nuts with their haughty attitude" (and would they be wrong?)
    Charity!
    Thanked by 2Gavin ParleyDee
  • Jani
    Just a couple things: a permanent commission on sacred music needs to be established, perhaps at the Vatican level, to decide what is appropriate and what is not. I doubt you could find a handful of Bishops that would agree on many of these songs. Next, there are hundreds upon hundreds, if not thousands of church songs, with more being written every day. The composers need to make a living so they crank out variations on already overdone themes. I mean, how many different versions of Taste and See do we really need?
  • francis
    Another version of Taste and See... Lick and Look
    Thanked by 4Jani Ben Gavin bhcordova
  • ryandryand
    I still maintain that it is impossible for me to be the bread of the Lord and/or the wine of the Lord. I'm not using the h-word from a tower of radical traditionalism (besides, the title was a question, not a statement). If Haas has an explanation for this great mystery of myself becoming the wine of the Lord, I'd love to hear it, for it certainly is a mystery to me.

PS I've never even heard the tune, so it's not a matter of picking away at music I don't like. There is a lot of his music that I like. It was just a striking text to me as I was planning music for last week, and I thought I'd point out that it is possibly heretical, if not just clumsy and muddled poetry.

The fact that this text has sparked so much discussion might prove the point in itself, that texts like these are confusing (if not heretical) and should be avoided by directors and shunned by the Church.
  • Jani
    ryand, I sang and played this song a few times on guitar for Mass awhile back, before the rheumatiz got too bad to continue. It's actually quite pretty and catchy, lyrics aside. Alot of the Haugen/Haas/Jesuits et al, stuff is nice to play on guitar, which is probably the best reason not to use them for Mass. :)
  • BenBen
    Francis, cracking me up again.
  • GavinGavin
    "a permanent commission on sacred music needs to be established, perhaps at the Vatican level, to decide what is appropriate and what is not"

Absolutely not.
  • Jani
    Why not? If there are no guidelines this debate will never end.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Jani, don't regard "this" as solely a "debate." Despite all misappropriations of the term "organic" the process of worship and its accoutrement will always be evolving until the Kingdom is established here and everywhere.
    Politically, I would read up on how things are "in Gloccamorra," so to speak. By that I mean, in the sees of sub-equatorial Catholicism, Asian Catholicism, Oceanic Catholicism. The mannerisms of how the West regards Vatican "ism" aren't so pervasive elsewhere around the globe.
  • Why not? The Church in Her wisdom has traditionally maximized the freedom of its members (and of its musicians) in matters not directly bearing on faith and morals. There's a reason for that: one guy in an office has just as much original sin as the rest of us. Unless that one guy happens to be the Pope, he doesn't automagically have the Magisterium on his shoulders. So he could very easily do more harm than good. Consider it a liturgical iteration of the principle of subsidiarity. We don't want somebody telling composers what to do musically. How do you know such a commission would support what you consider to be proper church music?
  • ryandryand
    We don't want somebody telling composers what to do musically.

We also don't want composers teaching confusing theology to the faithful via poorly worded lyrics.
  • Liam
    Look, Rome cannot even get around to squaring Musicam Sacram with the musical instructions in the many documents and ritual books that followed it. Anyone thinking Rome is going to go through some white/black list approach is seriously self-deluded. Look at how Rome has enforced the hint of such an idea (but with drafting and enforcement entrusted to episcopal conferences, not to the Curia) in Liturgicam Authenticam. As a cultural matter, it's beyond the appetite of curialists; Italians just shake their head at the legal culture of the Anglosphere that prompts an appetite for such things. Americans just have a very different understanding of the lack of correlation of norms to real life than Italians and Romans do; Americans tend to find it toothless at best or hypocrytical/cynical at worst, while Romans find it to be the perfect sensible approach, so long as one doesn't talk too much about it.
    Thanked by 3Spriggo BruceL SkirpR
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Ugh. One quick skim of this thread gave me every necessary reminder of why I don't even read this forum anymore.

That I came here today at all is the exception that proves the rule.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Then why the coup de gras, David? At some point one decides that a resource is a resource or not. If not, dust off the sandals. I know. Been there, done that, got the fat suit.
  • francis
    DA... we miss your presence here. Don't let a few loose threads undo your cassock! Most of what we have to offer here is incredible!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen rich_enough
  • Hello! I'm new and joined the forum to ask specifically about this set of music regarding being / becoming bread and wine mostly because I am not having much luck comprehending what the composers intended.

According to the text, the process seems to go from physical bread --consecration--> becomes the physical flesh of Christ under the appearance of bread --"re-consecrated?"--> communicants become non-physical bread to give life to the world by loving people and doing good deeds.

One issue I have is that if the people can become a bread metaphor based on what they do to "feed" the world, then what prevents someone from claiming that the Eucharist is a similar metaphor?

Here are the references I found that seems to support this concept on being / becoming bread.

1 Corinthians 10:17 (Douay-Rheims)
    17 For we, being many, are one bread, one body: all that partake of one bread.
    Should this be taken as a metaphor or a spiritual reality?

St. Ignatius of Antioch on his way to martyrdom:
    I am God's wheat and I shall be ground by the teeth of beasts, that I may become the pure bread of Christ.
    As martyrdom pieces, these tunes seem to be unusually upbeat and cheerful. It kind of fits though if we are to imitate Christ, who poured out his love like wine on the cross.

Please comment because I seem to be running around in confusing circles.

God bless!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Metaphors like this are only a danger to orthodoxy, and a pathway to heretical thinking, in the absence of solid teaching and right faith.

If you build a tower on a poor foundation, it will collapse if built too high. It would be easy to blame the collapse on the most recent brick you placed. It would also be wrong.
  • rob
    Agreed; they remind me of a chuzzle-witted engineer who was once my college roommate and argued seriously that Burns' "red, red rose" must have been quite a thorny lass.
  • Any bit of music that tries to incorporate narcissistic "we're celebrating ourselves" lyrics with a questionable stance on the Real Presence needs to at least be respectfully discarded as proper liturgical music, if not condemned as heretical.

Now, on a theological note; In the Mass- yes, in a way, we offer ourselves, our souls and bodies and prayers to God- but this is only in union the larger Sacrifice of the Cross, made present at Mass by means of the Body and Blood of Christ present under the bread and wine, and it is merely an extension of our continual, lifelong calling to offer ourselves in dedication to God, not an individual sacrifice on their own. In a way, we are the bread and wine- but only as much as we are mere creatures of God, that we offer ourselves to be transformed and sanctified by the graces of the Holy Spirit, obtained through the Sacrifice of the Cross made present. We merely try to join our imperfect spiritual sacrifices to the Perfect Sacrifice of the Cross through the Mass.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    We offer ourselves inasmuch as we offer the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ to the Father and we have been grafted on to him. We participate in his life - his sacrifice - because we have been baptized into his death and resurrection. We are "bread for the world" because Christ is the Bread of Life, and we are called to imitate him who we shall one day be like, and because we are in him and he is in us, just as he is in the Father and the Father is in him.

One of the unfortunate consequences of the progressive/liberal de-emphasis on sacrifice and ritual and True Presence is an equal and opposite reactionary conclusion among many traditional-minded folks who seem to think that the end-point of Eucharistic theology is understanding that the Bread and Wine become The Body and Blood of Christ. While this is, of course, true, it is not the only or last thing that one can say about this miracle.

It is fitting for food to become Christ, because Christ has already become food.

Were it not so, Christ could have said, "This tree is my body" or "This quicksilver is my blood." It is not only Christ's actual presence in the tabernacle, as an object and focus of worship, that is meaningful.

Were it not so, Jesus would not have said, "my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink."

Orthodox Catholic liturgical texts, rubrics, and prayers for centuries upon centuries have referred to the consecrated elements as bread and wine, as well as Body and Blood; also the altar is often called a table.

It IS a feast and a sacrifice, it IS both food and body, just as Christ is both man and God, both King and servant, both priest and victim.