Propers of Saint Sebastian (alone) 20 Jan
  • aldrich
    Can someone point me to the propers of Saint Sebastian, Martyr, which he does not share with Saint Fabian Pope? There are places which are dedicated only to Saint Sebastian, so there might be a set of propers that are of him alone.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I assume you mean EF, as one must choose between the optional memorial of St. Sebastian or St. Fabian in the OF.

In the OF, the propers for St. Sebastian alone are:

IN Salus autem iustorum
    GR Iustus cum ceciderit
    AL Gaudete, iusti
    OF Laetamini in Domino
    CO Multitudo languentiam

The Offertory and Communion chants above happen to be the same as those given to the combined feast in the EF.
  • aldrich
    Yes, I am referring to the EF. I do not want to jump into conclusion that he will just be assigned to the Common of One Martyr, even if it looks the most probable set of propers he will have. One ancient Parisian Missal has a set of propers of Saint Sebastian, but I do not know whether the propers are applicable to the Universal Church. To begin with, I cannot locate the chant. Something like "Evaginaverunt gladium" for the Introit.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    The Common of One Martyr would be the safest choice. I don't think there would be a problem with doing the propers from the combined feast, either.

Of course, I would probably run by the celebrant the idea of using the OF propers, since they're clearly the mind of the Church on how St. Sebastian's feast should be celebrated alone, but I could see how one might be unsure about that intermingling of EF and OF. In any case, I'd be more comfortable with that than using those from an ancient Parisian Missal.
  • This 1857 Missale Romanum has a note at the end of the feast of Ss. Fabian and Sebastian. It indicates that the Mass In virtute tua (Common of a martyr not a pontif) should be said along with the Gospel Si quis venit ad me when the feast of St. Sebastian alone is celebrated.
    Thanked by 2SkirpR aldrich
  • aldrich
    The missal hast a feast day for Charlemagne. I'm confused.
  • chonakchonak
    According to this account, he was canonized by an antipope, not officially by the Roman church.
  • aldrich
    Yes, and when the antipope was finally deposed, his ordinances were all abolished, reportedly, including the canonisation of Charlemagne. And in the missal which bears an imprimatur, Charlemagne is listed as a Saint, although his feast is "pro aliquibus locis" only. In the Prosaire of Aix-la-Chappelle, Charlemagne even had a sequence.

Now, which is which? Can somebody call the proper dicastery in Rome?
  • Protasius
    Charlemagne was venerated in many German dioceses. Rome never acknowledged his canonization, but it tolerated his veneration; one does not become a Saint through canonization but one can be canonized for being a Saint.
    Thanked by 1aldrich
  • Hey !

I'm almost inclined to say, you help me with scholastica..I'll help you with Sebastian ! haha. Cheers, Aldrich!
  • aldrich
    Hi, Chris,

You were referring to the propers of Saint Scholastica?
  • yeah, can you read benevantan notation, aldrich? all her propers that I find in original MS are from southern italy and illegible to me. Perhaps I need to contact Dr. Thomas Forrest Kelly, I wonder how busy he is. Who is there around that is known as an expert in reading the beneventan notation?
  • aldrich
    Can you post here or send me samples of the Beneventan notation. I'll see if I can decode them. But if it's adiastemmatic, then there would be very little hope for me.
  • http://pemdatabase.eu/musical-item/13472
    13th c. propers for Fabian & Sebastian, login for a password, full viewing is free.
    Hope it helps
  • Are there any medieval propers for St. Nicholas, Chris?