GIA welcomes Marier to its catalogue
  • incantuincantu
    Imagine my surprise when I opened the new GIA catalog and found Theodore Marier's "A Gregorian Chant Masterclass" (with our own Scott Turkington) prominently featured not just in the two-page chant spread, but on page 10! Of course, a few pages later "Sing to the Lord" is advertised as a "liturgical document" that is important for "all Roman Catholics." Can we please send GIA some letters explaining to them that Sttl is a statement of the US Bishops, not a liturgy document, and that except for where it refers to documents of canonical authority it does not pertain to Roman Catholics outside the diocese of the United States? Of course, we should take the opportunity to praise their most recent addition as well!
  • Better yet, just buy the GCMC directly from the Abbey of Regina Laudes. Their service is excellent and lightning fast.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I also believe if you buy from the Abbey, they will get a bigger piece of the action. At the same time, I was happy to see the book/CD get a nice spread in the catalogue. Of course, chant materials get two pages vs. the enormous amount of space that goes to the GIA stable of composers.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Oops, I would also recommend the Abbey's recordings. The choir is very good, not perfect and consequently a useful listen for folks working with average singers. While I love Chanticleer, etc., I need to hear non-professional voices at least some of the time. And buying these is good for the Abbey too.