Composer Dan Schutte can't be kept from singing
  • Hey, who started to sling mud at the trombonists of the forum?!
  • CharlesW
    No slights intended toward trombonists. I was actually visualizing a large soprano, but as I said, let's not go there.
  • As we're in a lighter vein, aren't the names of "ancient" instruments interesting?

Sackbutts, serpents (an unusual instrument, typically used in military bands), racketts. . .
  • francis
    i like the crummy horns
  • CharlesW
    Yes, those names of earlier instruments are interesting. I like crummy horns, too.
  • I just got an email from OCP advertising the latest Dan Schutte CD. Here is the gist of what was said:

New from Dan Schutte
    Table of Plenty
    Anthology 1985-2000
    The second in Dan Schutte's Anthology series, this CD gathers his most popular songs from 1985 to 2000, during which Dan expanded his gifts as a solo composer.

While I do not agree with the OCP content, I have to hand it to them on their marketing skills. I don't know if any one has read the article "The Hidden Hand behind Bad Catholic Music", but, I think the author is blaringly accurate in his portrayal of the publshing house.
  • I have a sackbut. It's a beautiful instrument. I recommend recordings by Concerto Palatino or His Majesties Sagbutts and Cornetts or Musica Fiata or Les Saqueboutiers de Toulouse (these are super professional groups, perfectly in tune and highly musical). The name is an Anglicization of the French and Spanish names for the instrument -- saqueboute and sacabuche, respectively. It's a kind of play on the words for "push" and "pull" (or "take" and "throw") which describes the playing perfectly. Germans adopted the variant of the Roman buccina, by calling it the posaune and Italians have always called it the "trombone" or big trumpet.

If you want to hear fine sackbut and cornetto playing with voices, check out the Orchestra of the Renaissance on the Glossa label. Wonderful Renaissance works with colla parte playing. We don't know for sure if instruments played with voices in the 16th century, but there are some maddeningly cryptic notes in cathedral archives about it. We do know that the instrumental band played at times during Vespers and Mass, but we're just not positively sure when and how much. I gotta say that I like the sound of shawms and trombones with voices in Spanish polyphony. Check out Canticum Canticorum by the Orch of the Renaissance. Stunning!

-- a simple saqueboutier
  • "We don't know for sure if instruments played with voices in the 16th century, but there are some maddeningly cryptic notes in cathedral archives about it."

Cryptic like: "Oh no. It's those guys from the Sackbutt group again....don't they realize they are an anachronism of the 1650's protest movements and don't have a place here?"
  • More like "the instruments will play during Corpus in the usual manner." Arrgg....
  • G
    BenedictGal, the author of the article is....
  • Michael- Thanks for the recording suggestions! This posaunist prefers the great Gabrieli (with Chicago Brass), but is open to new (or old) ideas. Especially if they can be in tune :) Now if only the GIRM specified Shostakovich.....
  • After years of playing and listening to cornetts and sackbuts, my taste runs there. I do conduct a university brass choir now, so I at least get to coach them on Renaissance style. I admire that Chicago/Cleveland recording but the style is all wrong IMO. Give those recordings a chance. I think you will be convert once you understand that power is not goal in that music (except for some moments).
  • Oh don't forget the Bruckner motets with trombones!
  • I'm playing the Bruckner 'Virge Jesse' (trombone quartet) at a wedding in a few weeks. What beauty.
  • And he still gives interviews...

Catholic Diocesan Paper: Then, below the fold on the front page is
    "Catholic composer says music helps people pray" by Christina Lee Knauss
    (local) about a session within our diocese with Dan Schutte! It continues on page 24 with a subtitle
    "People seek different experiences from the Mass, approach it in various
    ways".

He enumerates:
    1) Picnic - people looking for enjoyment
    2) Gas station - Catholics want a spiritual fill-up
    3) Classroom - looking to learn something, want "structure"
    4) Theater - hold people's attention, capture their imagination
    5) Holy Ritual - people who have a deep love for tradition.
    So, musicians need to consider all of these aspects when "planning" liturgies."
  • He's missed the bus again....the liturgies were planned centuries before the guitar capo became commercially available in a mass-produced form....
  • He's presently Composer-In-Residence and Music Director at a large educational institution that seems to fail to make any mention of him on the Music faculty page....
  • Please, Frogman!

I don't need any further reasons for excessive drinking!
  • I object.
    Frogman is being too indulgent with said persons.
    When will rigorous critique prevail.
    I am deadly serious, should you perceive only irony.
    Deadly is as deadly does.
  • GavinGavin
    Let's not forget the primary model of the musician in Catholic churches - the DJ. "I'm paying you, so you're going to play whatever I want!" Actually that's the only model of church music I've ever run into...
  • Dan, was that a poem?
  • Gavin,

You've hit the nail on the head, once again. You're very perceptive despite your youth.

I've often felt that the music program directs me, rather than the other way around. "We pay you; you'll play what we want!"

I've decided, despite my hobby study of British history leading up to WWII, to try appeasement. Of course, I also have to keep in mind Winston Churchill's great quote about appeasement: An appeaser feeds a crocodile in the hopes that it will eat him last.

Or, another great quote (which I've modified for the circumstances): Trying to maintain good relations with the contemporary music crowd is like woowing a crocodile. You do not know whether to tickle it under its chin or beat it over the head. When it opens its mouth, you cannot tell whether it's trying to smile or preparing to eat you up.
  • chonakchonak
    Gavin, that's a great observation about the DJ -- the party DJ, in particular -- as a de-facto model for the Catholic church musician.

I'm sure priests would be offended if they were treated as hirelings and told to do and say as the paying congregation demands. I think Someone Famous expressed a low opinion of hirelings a while back.

Conversely, congregations would -- or at least should -- be offended if a priest were to act as an independent entrepreneur, making his own community and his own rituals for his own purposes. A priest's work is that of a steward, to carry out the work of the larger church -- the diocese, the universal church -- in a particular place.

I suppose that model ought to inform our thinking as musicians.
  • miacoyne
    A priest's work is that of a steward, to carry out the work of the larger church.

I am very new directing schola. I'd like to ask opinions from more experienced musicians. When I informed our priest that the children will sing the Kyrie, Sanctus and Agnus Dei on this Friday mass, he wasn't too happy, because I informed him, instead of asking for his permission to do it. So, I sincerely apologised. I thought he would be happy that the children can sing the simple ordinary parts in Latin as Holy Church encourages us to do. Then I thought about it whether I was being disrespectful when we are actually supposed to sing those parts, but we didn't sing them because we didn't know how. If singing those parts are normal thing to do, why do we need a permission to do that? The mass is in Latin and the vernacular is permitted, but now we have to get a permission to use Latin? Do music directors usually ask for a permission if you want to have Ordinary parts in Latin chants? Since when? It sounds really strange and confusing for me. Our priest says they worry about the congregaation participation on those parts, so I offer a humble suggestion to introduce simple Latin ordinary parts on Sunday masses, instead of avoiding them for the fear of ignorance of the congregation. I feel that this ignorance is caused by not exposing our Church's tradition to the parish people. I do schola as a volunteer, I'm not getting paid. But I don't want to oppose my priests. I don't think they feel comfortible with Latin, because they are not trained in that. I wonder maybe I should stop what I'm doing, because there are so many things I'd like to say, but I cannot say, and I do not want to confront my priests in these matters. I feel that no matter how politely I say it, it will sound like lecturing them, which I feel wrong thing to do. Did anyone have similar experience? Any advice?
  • GavinGavin
    Mia: Every priest is different, but with my last boss we would work together to decide when was the best time to use which Latin ordinaries. I always kept him "in the loop" as to the plans, and he gave plenty of good input. Of course, every priest is different and this particular priest is very intelligent with sacred music and very pastoral. So I would say find out what your priest expects in terms of planning, and work with him as he requests. If he's unreasonable, the answer is obvious.
  • Mia, Yes, it's always best to make seem like it was his idea.
  • Miacoyne,

We all feel your pain...it is frustrating to know what should be done and when letting the pastor know that you are ready to do what should be done to hit a brick wall is more than disconcerting. All that priests know, if they are not musical themselves, is what they have experienced. It's like walking into a restaurant with the menu in a different language for them....and they are ordering meals for all the parishioners out there getting off the bus on this tour to a foreign country. Now that's pressure.

Everytime we do anything "different" the pastor hears about it. Unfortunately, people who are unhappy with ANYTHING in the church seize upon anything else that they can to get an opportunity to tell the priest how unhappy they are. So when we tell the priest we are going to do something different he immediately thinks of two things.

1. Am I going to get grief from the people about this
    2. Is the Bishop going to be calling me about this

The order of this varies...and 1. usually results in 2. happening if he does not respond favorably to 1.

Some priests stand up to the Bishop...and their people. Some have no interest in battles, large or small.

And alway follow O'Connor's suggestion!
  • GavinGavin
    Now I should temper Noel's remarks to say that the priest is NOT necessarily the "Bad Guy".* I've worked with a priest who has a reputation as being orthodox and well-versed in music. And I will defend him on that to my last breath, and it's a source of great pride to have worked for him. But there were so many times (maybe even half the time I talked to him) where I've planned to do something like Latin or an ordinary and he's said "no". I would argue, and he'd still say no and I'd say "well you're making a mistake, but I will respect your authority and carry out your orders." I could say that because I KNEW he wanted to take the church in the same direction I did, but he also was the guy the complaints went to. He was fighting them all the time, just because I wasn't using Glory & Praise. And it's HIS job to know when a congregation has had "enough" and you're risking turning this 150 year old congregation into a three family parish. He has the pastoral perspective I so often lack and so I deferred to his judgment. It's important to know whom you're dealing with; if it's a priest who is sympathetic but cautious, debate and push, but stick to his rules. If it's one who just won't do it no way, no how, run.

*Not that I think Noel was saying that, but just clarifying in case anyone gets that impression.
  • Mia, Sorry to hear about your difficulty... I think the reason you got the reaction you did could be from any number of reasons... perhaps a) his personal preference is English or b) he has had difficulty with some very vocally negative parishioners in the past when Latin was used c) he has not been taught about the 'pride of place' chant has for the liturgy d) he wants to make sure that the parishioners have music and translations available for all the ordinaries, or e) he just wants to have control of such things -- the list could go on. It is probably already forgiven, since you offered your apologies, so it is water under the bridge. Maybe he wants more discussions about particulars for the future? Or, if his concern is making the music and translations available to the parishioners in the pews, with a bit of preparation, some lovely handouts can be made available.

Don't give up! You are spreading knowledge and familiarity with a treasure of the church... one of my new schola members particularly joined our little group because she wants to learn to sing the chants that the saints in centuries past have sung. Being a volunteer does have its advantages, however... they can't fire you, after all!
  • Carl DCarl D
    Mia, I can see several reasons why a Priest might hesitate when being told how his Mass is going to run. He might simply be surprised - no judgment, positive or negative. He might see connections with other things he's doing - perhaps the Latin music would suggest that he do other parts in Latin as well. Perhaps he expects to get some questions about "why did it change?"

If he feels responsible for Mass, and parishioners believe he's responsible for it, then he'll feel better when he knows what's happening. Since 99% of what happens is the same as last week, or last year, there's usually no concerns raised. But if something isn't the same, then the Priest usually feels that a discussion is in order so that, at minimum, he can feel that he's been heard.

The same thing is true of any manager in a business environment. They don't necessarily have to make every little decision, but they want to at least know about anything surprising or unusual.
  • miacoyne
    Thank you for all the great advices. This morning our homeschooling children's schola was able to sing simple Kyrie(9 fold!), Sanctus, Agnus Dei. We had only 3 practices, but they sang beautifully and from memory.
    After I read the advices above, I was able to gather my strength back. I had a great talk with my priests. He gave a permission for us to sing. And the pastor told me maybe I should trade Mysterium Fidei with Pater noster in adult schola. In another words, he want the congregation learn the Mysterium fidei part, but it might be too much in addition to Pater noster for them (they probably are not ready). I said that would be fine. He is more like who is 'sympathetic but cautious, debate and push, but stick to his rules,' side. I don't think I need to run (not yet at least).

For the Mass this morning, I even made a beautiful music sheet for the congregation with Angel pictures (got them from the front page of this website). Thank you Janet for the suggestion.

Thank you all and God bless you and your work and CMAA forum and it's work.
    Back to the topic of the thread,
    I don't know why Dan Schutte cannot stop from singing, but I know for sure that the chants of the Church has been sung for centuries and will be sung for a long long time.
    Mia