Wherefore “contemporary” ensembles?
  • Cantor
    I have directed parish music for a few years now. We have one of these groups in my own parish music program, and one of my duties as parish music director, though I don’t direct the contemporary group, is to oversee them and advocate for them.

But the question I keep running into lately is this: just what legitimate purpose is served by “contemporary” ensembles?

Fr. Ruff has laid out a very good argument in favor of having choirs sing in unison whenever the congregation sings.

Another point I have seen made is that choirs, when they sing alone, should sing music that, by its nature, lies outside the reasonable ability of the congregation. And yet, publications like “Spirit & Song” all are intended to involve congregational singing. (This is why I reject SttL’s proposition that such ensembles are a particular kind of choir; in most cases, perhaps even all, they are not choirs, in the sense that they don’t sing choral music.)

That said, much of the music in those publications has more difficult melodies than congregational music should be. So, we have a repertoire of music that, in large part, is not idiomatic for the choir nor for the congregation.

Moreover, the practice of giving each individual singer a microphone tends, IMO, to discourage real music-making by shifting the onus for making one’s voice agree with others’ off the singers and onto someone running a sound board.

I can appreciate the wide variety of instruments one often sees in such ensembles, but vocally, I am at a loss to try to justify the existence of these groups. There is no point to their singing in harmony unless they sing alone (which, in my experience, they rarely or ever do), and the music they generally sing, while homphonic, tends to have melodies that are more “soloistic” than “congregational”.
  • Cantor, one must take into account the modern sense of group singing in this case. People are quite comfortable singing along with the radio or singing on the choruses of their favorite songs at concerts. In the case of the contemporary ensemble, even with mics, the folks will sing the parts they know and are comfortable with. I don't think practical question really applies with this group. You sound like you have come to the point of wondering if the ensemble is a proper means of providing and supporting liturgical music. That's an honest and difficult question to ask. There are devoted and intelligent people who truly believe that popular music is a true parallel to the modern music of ages past. Historically, this is true statement since the late 19th century and beyond has been the Age of Popular Music (not to be confused with folk traditions of centuries past, which have always been closely tied to cultural identity and have many uses outside of entertainment). The use of popular music in worship during our time is a perfectly understandable extension of our artistic age although it may not be in many of our minds, desirable. It would actually have been quite a miracle had pop music not entered the church. That said, I do believe the pop music experiment, like the operatic music experiment of the 17th-18th centuries, has been a failed one on several levels.

1. Popular music is intended to convey/recall surface emotion with ease (if it wants to be sucessful).

2. Popular music is disposable music, meant to be enjoyed for a time and then replaced by the next "big thing."

3. Popular music is a commercial music, intended to move money from purchasers to creators and distributors, hence the need for continuous turnover.

4. The artistic side of popular music tends towards novelty and contemporaneity as the prized elements.

I think that, for at least these 4 reasons, we must move away from popular music as a liturgical music, which in many of these cases needs to function in the polar opposite sphere (deep, mysterious emotions; permanence of use; non-commercial; and the careful application of novelty).

If you want to disband the popular music ensemble on the above grounds, I think you have a strong case. On the practical side you will always be fighting the culture the views "pastoral" as giving folks what they want rather than shepherding them to what they need. Only you know your situation on the ground there and I'm sure you would be understanding of the popular group's gifts and (perceived) contributions there over the years. It's a tough thing to do, but I would not use practical matters as your principal argument. People will see it as an excuse and a less-than-honest reason (even if it is not). Good luck.
  • incantuincantu
    This type of group has been the norm for so long, it is nearly impossible to explain to most people the basic concept that "choirs sing choral music," a statement which should require no explanation.
  • Leland
    Just out of curiosity, what is your definition of "choral music"? You (Cantor and incantu, anyhow; I don't see it explicitly in Michael's comment) seem to derive your definition of "choir" from its music, whereas I think an equally good case can be made for the contrary definition of "choral music" by the fact that it is sung (or meant to be sung) by choirs. Without a bit more explicit definition of either "choir" or "choral music" (let alone the semantically squishy "contemporary") it's hard for me to tell to what degree I agree with, or am even able to engage, your position.

Leland
  • Cantor
    AAAAAGGGHHH!!

I accidentally hit ALT-left, meaning to hit CTRL-left, and it erased a nice post I had on this!!!

GRRRR!!!

Can’t the blog software be set to preserve the data we have entered if we back out and go forward again?
  • Cantor
    There is lots of gray area in this matter; a more capable congregation could consider more music to be “congregational” and less to be necessarily “choral”. But, let’s assume that there is a standard out there that averages out what a congregation is normally capable of doing.

I propose the following criteria:

1) Polyphonic textures constitute choral music--with the possible exception of rounds and canons.

2) Melodies that are too technically challenging for the congregation are choral music--for example, any of the vocal lines of the “Cum sancto” fugue of the B minor Mass.

3) Melodies whose intervals are too challenging for the congregation to sing easily are choral music.

4) Melodies with overly challenging rhythms for the congregation are choral music.

By these criteria, I think we can safely set, say, Berger “The Eyes of All” in the realm of choral music. These criteria also place most Gregorian chant Mass propers in the realm of choral music.

Comments? Additional criteria, or modifications to these? I am sure there are some loopholes here....anyone going to find them?
  • incantuincantu
    I agree with most of what Cantor has to say, but I could put it more simply: When a composer has a musical idea he wishes to express and chooses a choir as his medium, the resulting composition is choral music. When an arranger takes a solo song (or a song to be sung in unison by a congregation) and adds "parts" in a utilitarian effort to allow singers with different ranges to sing it, adding nothing to the musical expression, that song does not instantly become choral music in the sense the term is being used here. In other words, the medium does not in itself define the genre; otherwise, you could classify Berg's violin concerto as "fiddle music."
  • incantuincantu
    In the context of the liturgy, the role of the choir could be understood to be that of singing the parts of the liturgy (e.g. the Propers) that are too difficult to be rendered effectively by the congregation. The importance of the choir is therefore inversely proportional to the ability of the congregation. If the whole congregation sang the entire liturgy (as might be the case, for example, in a monastic community), a designated choir would not be necessary. By observing common practice, however, one might be led to believe that the reverse is true. Music directors don't look at the music required by the liturgy and say "OK, now who's going to sing this part." No, they look at the vocal ensemble (the kind described above) and say "Now what are we going to give them to sing?" In the case of the many unskilled ensemble, or directors who don't understand what singing in the liturgy is all about, this amounts to choosing arrangements of ostensibly congregational songs, that the congregation doesn't actually sing. In many cases we would be far better off without such "choirs," with two alternatives being 1) the assembly actually participating in congregational music unimpeded by a vocal ensemble or 2) choral compositions on liturgical texts being sung by an actual choir.
  • Cantor
    Dear incantu,

Where I think your model breaks down is the case of the chorale--specifically some of the arrangements thereof in Bach’s cantatas. Look, for example, at the last movement of BWV140. The congregation likely would not sing at least the melody of this piece because it goes up to high G; that said, most American congregations that sing this hymn tune do sing that very harmonization--it’s just transposed down a few steps!
  • incantuincantu
    Cantor, I'm not sure I see your point. I would not call Bach's cantatas "arrangements" just because they quote existing material. For the pure four-part chorales, I would say they are harmonizations, yes, but they are not utilitarian. If they were, he would not have felt the need to reharmonize a tune every time he used it. Now, when one of these harmonizations is sung by a congregation transposed down a third and with the organ playing the choir parts, well then that's an arrangement. In that case I think you could say it was no longer choral music, because the musical idea that the composer wished to express through the medium of a choir has been lost. In either case, the choir would sing choral music, not congregational music. And, as in my example, the competent music director would not look at a Bach chorale and say "Now who is going to sing this?" and then decide what key it should be performed in, because a Bach chorale is not a part of the Mass in the first place.
  • TWHERGE
    I have observed this about the contemporary ensembles. A few times I have had to make my obligation at the Mass where they "perform." Usually they give sheets with only lyrics, and I am fairly proficient in various musical forms, but their music I found quite difficult, sometimes even with the music before me. However, quite pleasantly, since I couldn't sing the "'hymn' sandwich," I was quiet and was able to observe the liturgical action.

As far as wherefore--there are a sizeable number of people that are convinced that if they hear anything else at Mass, and I say hear since very often they don't sing, that they would be bored to tears, and they complain of chant and polyphony of sounding too much "like church." Of course this is a very sad situation. It would be rather foolish to throw away these groups, so perhaps the best way to do something is to infiltrate them with people who know something about liturgical music (a hard task, no doubt). If things can be made to be done 1/4 properly, then they could be done 1/2 properly, eventually even 100% properly.
  • But why would anyone who knows something about liturgical music have anything to do with these contemporary ensembles? The more I learn, the less tolerant of contemporary ensembles I become. They've had their experiment. It's time to gradually wean parishes off them. Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to grab my bass and play for an event outside of Mass, but it's time to graciously show them the church door.
  • GavinGavin
    Michael, and others:

I've proposed before, particularly with "folk" groups, that these ensembles be employed outside of Mass for concerts and parish events. That's even a good way to get them to stop at their Mass: "I don't want you feeling overwhelmed, so we'll let the parish organist play for your Mass this week." As I've said, much of their music IS good; it's scriptural, engages some age groups (*COUGH*AGINGHIPPIES*COUGH*), and employs a wider variety of the people in the parish than just the choristers. So why not have a "folk singalong" one Saturday night, maybe in the hall? Or have them perform at the parish fair. I think that has potential for letting the people hear the music without inflicting it upon the Mass.
  • Gavin,

I don't always agree with you....but you've got this one right....move the self-centered praise music to prayer services...the music is much more suitable for that purpose...and they will stop playing.

Some/many of these groups exist only because they "have to go to Mass" and might as well enjoy themselves while they are there....
  • priorstf
    What's the general opinion of going the opposite direction. The annual church picnic is coming up and the new DM wants to ensure that all of the music groups get some visibility. There's a stage set up and each group can make a presentation. The youth group has always done a nice job, what with their being a rock and roll band to start with. Last year the choir sang "Hail Holy Queen" - the version from Sister Act. (I declined to sing with them.) This year she wants the schola to "perform" and I'm just not sure what the heck they can do in the middle of a boisterous celebratory party with bingo, food stalls, hole in one derby, etc., going on all around.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
  • priorstf, Absolutely not. By having the chant schola perform for something like this, you undermine the basic argument of the reform. I would politely decline and say, chant is liturgical music. It fulfills that role superbly, but it is not a very good entertainment. It would seem a "fish out of water" following up a chorus from Godspell. The alternative might be to work on some interesting medieval polyphony in 2-3 parts. That would hold up better in a performance situation.
  • Michael,

Spot-on.
  • CharlesW
    I agree. My parish is celebrating its 100th anniversary. For a large outdoor breakfast, the head of the centenary committe asked if one of our church musicians could play "dinner" music during the breakfast. The pastor said, "absolutely not!" He told her we were liturgical musicians and had a sacred function. To play for something like the breakfast would be demeaning and he wouldn't allow it.
  • incantuincantu
    Hmm, I don't see why instrumentalists couldn't play at a parish event. It's not like church musicians are all consecrated virgins. I play cocktail piano at our annual parish party. If anything, it demonstrates that I am fully capable of playing secular music styles, and that my use of the organ and of sacred styles in church is a choice, and not a necessity. I'm not sure the pianist of the contemporary ensemble could say the same thing.

Singing liturgical chant outside of the liturgy, and outside of an acoustic that will allow an artistically pleasing performance -- that's a different story.
  • CharlesW
    I can see what the pastor is getting at. It's probably a matter of image. I don't want the congregation to view me as a cocktail pianist, which I am not, and have never been. It's not a bad thing for the congregation to have the image of us as special and set aside for holy things. The bigger battle is trying to get across the image that the church is not the world. That when they enter the church door, they are in another place that is in the world, but not of it. As the envoys reported to Vladimir after visiting the great church in Constantinople, "We no longer knew whether we were in heaven or on earth." That's what people should feel when leaving church, but sad to say, most do not.
  • "It's not like church musicians are all consecrated virgins."

This comes as a...shock...to me. Off to a hermitage to meditate on this bit of information...

There are those who believe that people who dabble in "popular music"....let's put it this way. I'd pay to hear Cecilia Bartoli sing Mozart....but not Zappa....
  • I too have to disagree with the pastor who did not want church musicians at the breakfast. This type of playing and even singing has long and venerable tradition. Popes, Cardinals, and Bishops used to have ensembles sing sacred motets as they dined during the Renaissance. That said, I wouldn't have any sacred played in a situation where people were not expected to pay attention, but this event would be the perfect chance for the contemporary ensemble to play its music. Its entirely appropriate. My 2c
  • priorstf
    Michael - Funny you should mention Godspell. Did I mention this year's entrance hymn on Palm Sunday? (I only wish I were kidding.) We indeed prepared ye the way of the Lord. At some point along the line they really wanted to to Hosanna Haysanna but somebody balked at "hey Jaycee Jaycee". Imagine that. So VERY far to go.
  • Leland
    On the other hand isn't CharlesW's parish Byzantine? Maybe their musicians are consecrated virgins (of a sort). ;-)

Leland
  • CharlesW
    No, I am Byzantine. The parish where I work is Latin rite. I grew up in the 60s, and I don't recall much of anything being virgin or consecrated during that time.
  • Oh this reminds me of something. Early on, before our schola was singing at Mass, our former pastor, in an attempt to keep us out, suggested that instead we put on a seasonal concert in the social hall, a concert of chant and polyphony. Just the suggestion infuriated me actually.

But then later, as I began to think about it, I realized that he was responding sincerely. He had come to believe that the reason we wanted to sing at Mass was that we wanted a performance venue. He is not to be faulted for believing this since every musician at every other Mass was treating the Mass as a performance venue. As we know, this is what most Catholic musicians in fact are these days: frustrated performers who can't get paid gigs anywhere else. So he just assumed that we wanted the same thing, some place to show off our skills. He probably believed that he was being accommodating.

Of course we completely refused, pointing out that he missed the central point completely.

The realization that music and liturgy are part of each other, and that music is not there merely to entertain, requires a real adjustment on the part of pastors as well.
  • Jeffrey, you know that we agree on just about everything, but I have to defend the church musicians that I have known. I know for a fact that few, if any of them were frustrated gigging musicians. They were all very sincerely giving their gifts to God and the parish. Sure, some may have liked the limelight a bit, but all the folks I worked with were doing what they considered a duty to the Church. Now, it's too bad that that Church has allowed music to get where it is today, but let's not go after innocent musicians in our quest to improve things. I don't think you really meant that. I understand that it can be frustrating when a few hardcore but misguided souls hang on for dear life to the current model, but I think we should be charitable to people's intentions.
  • GavinGavin
    My view of it is, if you have the ability to perform music, why not do so? I'm not a "cocktail" player, I have a rudimentary understanding of jazz but no ability. But if I did have the ability, I'd be glad to perform for a parish breakfast or whatever. As someone said above, we don't have consecrated hands and voices to only touch the ivory of an organ and sing chant. Don't take yourself too seriously, it's not good for your image in the community, your professional reputation, or your sanity.

I should add, IF someone were to invite a contemporary/folk ensemble to perform (or for another idea, what about a "folk vespers"?) they should also have an open and personal invitation for the members to perform at Mass with the schola or main choir. At my last parish, a few of the guys from the guitar group were asked to sing with an impromptu schola, and they loved it. It need not be an offense, as some may see through the deception of it.
  • Michael, my criticism applies to no one you know and I mean that sincerely. I'm speaking of parish x that you happen to bump into driving from here to there. The problem is that serious musicians have been driven out of parishes in too many cases, and this is precisely what was intended (as Fr. Ruff makes clear in his book).

In any case, there is no sense arguing about averages and tendencies in Catholic parishes. They are so diverse that empirical verification of claims in all directions is nearly impossible. All we really have to go on are our experiences, and those are all over the map.
  • incantuincantu
    Did I mention this year's entrance hymn on Palm Sunday? (I only wish I were kidding.) We indeed prepared ye the way of the Lord.

That is entirely inappropriate! Everyone knows "Prepare Ye The Way Of The Lord" is supposed to be sung during Advent.

• Carl DCarl D
    When our parish had its first big festival, our schola was asked (along with all the other groups) whether we wanted to perform. Ever person in the schola thought that this was inappropriate, in various ways. We quickly declined.

For the same reason why the church nave is locked up during the festival. It's not the right time, or focus, for people to be running around screaming in the presence of our God.
  • priorstf
    Your comment provides good food for thought, Carl D. The festival takes place on the weekend of First Friday. Perhaps we should throw open the nave for the monthly Vespers service (sung by the Schola) for people who would like a half hour of relative peace!
  • Carl DCarl D
    > Perhaps we should throw open the nave for the monthly Vespers service (sung by the Schola) for people who would like a half hour of relative peace!

What a wonderful idea! And make sure people know the focus is Sacred. Can you get it quiet enough?

Our festival goes all weekend, so of course we have to take time out on Saturday evening and Sunday morning for Masses. The festival does NOT continue during that time, and the atmosphere is as solemn and reverent as any other Mass.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I'll play Gershwin when asked on the piano and "Three Coins in the Fountain" on the harp, if you pay me. If you have the kind of schola that has RenFaire abilities and repertoire, do a set at the parish festival. Or a few humerous (and clean) madrigals and catches. Otherwise, save your voices for Sunday.