SEP accompaniment book
  • ryandryand
    I was looking at Createspace yesterday and they're still not cheap. In my search for ISBN info I stumble upon some articles from self-published authors who weighed in on the pros and cons of purchasing ISBN's and I'm not sure its necessary for the scope of this project. It might be. I honestly don't know anything about this stuff.
  • ryandryand
    What about the 1 vs. 2-volume issue? I'd rather keep it one, but that's going to be thick. It will be spiral bound and stay open just fine, but at the introit during Advent are 650 pages behind it going to slide off the music stand and interpret the chant a la Messaien?
  • BenBen
    Lulu has a binding width calculator you could use to get some concrete information regarding the size.
  • ryandryand
    It's necessary to split it if going through Lulu. Their spiral binding maxes out at 470 pages.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Split it. Green in one volume, Purple and White in the other.
    Thanked by 2Ignoto Ben
  • ryandryand
    I was thinking of the way it is in the two files earlier in the thread. Advent/Christmas/Lent/Easter and then OT/Feasts/Ritual. To put OT in a volume on its own would take a terrible amount of time re-organizing the Sib file. Leaving them in that order also mimics the SEP (mimicking the GM).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    One site said Lulu charges $35, which would not be awful.
  • ryandryand
    Memory lapse from yesterday. I wasn't looking at Createspace, it was Bowker. They charge $125 for one (deals offered if you need more). Both Lulu and Createspace have affordable options.
    https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/ISBNs.jsp

Lulu might present an issue with spiral binding (not listed in the columns for retail distribution)
    http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/Which-Products-are-Eligible-for-Retail-Distribution/ta-p/33150
  • BenBen
    Split it, as recommended above. I would mimic SEP as much as possible, for simple cross-compatibility reasons.
  • Bob_Nardo
    I'm new to all of this and have spent time recently paging through all the posts over the last few years. We have started using your work at our parish in the last couple of weeks, and I just want to say bravo, and I can't wait till I have a chance to buy these to thank you for the efforts!
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • ryandryand
    How's this for a cover concept?

Volume II would be similar, but green.
    456 x 590 - 140K
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Ryand, just ask us for money. How much do you need? Don't be limited by very very minor financial issues!
  • ryandryand
    I will let you know if there is a need for anything. Nothing at this point. I am still waiting to hear back from GIA for licensing on the Revised Grail Psalms, which may come at a cost. The ISBN question should be a non-issue, it seems.

Other than that, I think its ready. nun_34 has sent a few proofreading errors she caught, and I'll do another few passes through it to make sure. Let me know if you find anything that needs correction.

A question I thought of today ... is it desirable to capitalize LORD in the verses (where applicable)? I understand the reason behind it, and I personally prefer the small-caps look in the original SEP ... but I am not able to do small caps in the software, so its either LORD or Lord. I left it as the second option, as that tends to read easier (always feel like I need to yell it if its all caps). Does it bother anyone that its not capitalized?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    If you get a license from GIA to use the Revised Grail Psalm, I suppose one of the conditions is that the way the text is set must resemble the original publication. I therefore presume that you should also capitalise LORD whenever the RGP does.

I used small caps in SEP exactly because of the reason you describe: in full caps it looks very loud. One way of imitating small caps is to use a smaller font size for the capitalised words.

By the way, I could do a cover design for you if you appreciate.
  • ryandryand
    Sure, what have you got in mind?

It's not possible in Sibelius to change the font size in the middle of a line, so if they require it then I'll have to switch them to all caps.

If that were a non-issue, what would people prefer to read from?
  • chonakchonak
    There are some programs that can modify PDFs. It would be worthwhile to experiment, if you can get the PDF editor program on a free trial. Might even be possible to produce small caps.

But note: not all occurrences of "Lord" get the small-caps treatment. It depends on what Hebrew word underlies the text.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    It's not possible in Sibelius to change the font size in the middle of a line
    I can very easily do this in Sib 7, and think it was possible in Sib 3.
  • ryandryand
    How?
  • You have to have the Properties window open and select the Text tab. From there, you can select any line, note, or even individual word and change fonts, font sizes, etc.

At least that's how I can do it in Sib 6. I've never used 3.
  • ryandryand
    Update -

Steven has provided cover designs for both volumes (matches the look of the original SEP book).
    I am going through and adding the "small caps" LORDs to the verses.
    After this and another round of proofreading, its ... done(?)

All that I'm REALLY waiting for right now is GIA's licensing department. *grumble*
  • lynnm
    Just to thank you for the finished books. They are wonderful! And very much appreciated. Thanks for all your hard work over the past few years. Have already bought copies and will buy a few more soon. Thanks again!