Publishing a parish hymnal : copyright help and other publishing advice
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have been on this venerable forum for a while, putting in my few cents when I feel it necessary (or even not), though I haven't racked up nearly as many posts as the Ven. Charles...

My name is Henry and I am the Director of Music at Our Lady of Czestochowa parish in Turners Falls, MA. We are a 'personal parish' for Polish Americans (and those who like traditional Liturgy in general), and have for years had two hymnals in the pews : a Polish one, and a standard English/Latin one.

The Polish hymnals that we have had for the past 20-ish years are old and falling apart, and the Adoremus Hymnals that we have are Ten-years old, very well used, and of course, contain the defunct ICEL and various English Masses that we never used. I was considering, as a gift for the parish on the occasion of our St Cecilia Choir's Centennial in 2014 to edit a hymnal that contains our repertory of Polish, English, and Latin Hymns (some 270 pieces).

This hymnal will only contain hymns, with the possible exception of Willan's Mass of St Teresa, which we sang when we had the New St Basil Hymnal (until 2004), and is still, somewhat, in the memory of the people. The book will not be for sale, and will only be used in this parish. (The liturgical resource - I hope - will be the Lumen Christi Missal!)

Most of the proposed contents are public domain with the notable exception of, of course, Willan's Mass, MICHAEL by Howells, hymns/accompaniments by RVW, and a couple others. I intend to do everything properly, and am wondering if anyone here has a form-letter one could copy asking for permission to reprint certain copyrighted works.

I am also wondering about the cost of having the book professionally printed and hard-bound (I am doing the type-setting and engraving). Would anyone have any rough guesses (no more than 500 copies at most) of the cost of this?

Please forgive me if this all sounds rather amateurish and naive. Thanks for your help. Henry.

PS. Adam Bartlett : Great job with LCM!
  • For the printing of such a small number copies, you might consider print-on-demand by Lulu.com. They offer different bindings, including hard-bound. It isn't very expensive, and you can print any number of copies anytime you want.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    1. Please, please, please consider doing your musical typesetting in Lilypond, and also please consider releasing source files for all the Public Domain stuff here and.or at CPDL.

2. Lulu is awesome, but for hardcover in the amount of 500 or so, you'd probably be better off with a more traditional printer, especially since Lulu doesn't offer the solid leatherette-style cover your probably would prefer.

3. Try contacting Jerry Galipeau at WLP. They did the typesetting, printing, and binding for one of the smaller independent hymnals (St. Michael's?). For that matter, contact the publishers of all the independent hymnals that have come out recently- I'm pretty sure none of them own their own presses.

4. I've contacted companies seeking copy permissions in the past. You don't need a form letter- just explain what it is you are trying to do, how many copies you plan to make, and ask what is required. Naive is probably a good thing here- if you sound too savvy, they might be moved to charge more, but if you sound like a little community that can't even afford its own copyright lawyer, they may cut you a break.
  • Lulu would not be the best way to go--as their books (perfect-bound and hard cover) are glued together. With use, the pages will simply fall out. You'll want to work with a printer/bindery that can offer smyth-sewn books (regardless of hard vs. soft cover). They'll be able to open and lay flat, and can last for many years.

I know a group that was publishing their own edition of the Liturgy of the Hours (a religious order), and wanted it on bible-paper to make it lighter for elderly members. Catholic Book Publishing did the printing.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Some new questions :

1. Does anyone know who owns the rights to music by John Ireland?

2. Does Ralph Jusko Publications still exist, or who administer's their rights?

3. How do I contact C.H. Giffen?
  • 3. Message him by clicking on his name somewhere in blue and send via the forum messaging system. He'll probably see your post in a few hours and get in touch with you. He's a lovely man and incredibly kind and helpful.
    Thanked by 2Salieri CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    1. John Ireland's works are listed on-line with publisher information.
    Thanked by 1Salieri