psalm tone notation
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    This question may have come up before but I am looking for a music software that can write psalm tones like the attached example. I'm currently using Finale Songwriter but it is not capable of doing this. I know there are a couple of free source chant notation programs but I don't know if these will work any better. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    400 x 439 - 63K
  • igneusigneus
    Lilypond is able to do this. If you aren't scared of the command line and text input and if noone else has a template ready, I might make one for you in the evening and post it here. [In the European evening.]
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Actually, Finale can write lyrics that way, but you have to use and unbreakable space (Alt-0160) between words on the same note.

As an example, here is the link to the topic at the forum that has the choral/accompaniment score (set in Finale) for my Credo (English) setting in a chant style common to Eastern rite churches.

• Sibelius can do text that way, too, just as CHGiffen says. Instead of Alt-0160, it's just Ctrl-space. That's if you'd like to spend the money on pricey notation software (which, if your parish is willing to provide, can get an educational discount from the publishers).
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Instead of the full-fledged Finale (which does cost a pretty penny), you can do the same with the FREE Finale NotePad. For many uses, this is entirely adequate.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    CHGiffen, I'm using Finale's Songwriter and I can't produce a staff without a time signature or notes without stems. How is the Notepad different? Thanks for the alt-0160 tip, I will have to write that down and keep it handy.
  • The example you posted is from WLP, and was engraved in Finale. I tried to attach a similar Finale file of mine for you to play with, but the forum won't allow .mus files, so I attached a JPEG. If it's of interest to you, message me with an email address, and I'll send it to you.

I have to be honest, at the moment, I do all psalmody in WinScore (www.winscore.info). It's the most recent incarnation of the hallowed DOS Score program (i.e. what Bärenreiter uses). The learning curve can be steep, but it's output is top notch.
    957 x 603 - 134K
    Thanked by 1Don9of11