Hymnal Reviews
  • For those who might be interested, a contributor to the "Pray Tell" blog is reviewing the Adoremus, St. Michael, and Vatican II hymnals.

http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2012/10/10/a-review-of-three-hymnals-adoremus-hymnal-st-michael-hymnal-and-vatican-ii-hymnal/
    Thanked by 2Heath ContraBombarde
  • I personally know 2 "country" parishes that are using Adoremus and St. Michael, who used to have totally whacked out pastors, Gather, and pianos. Now they have more conservative, younger pastors, better music complete with Propers and chant in Latin and English, both know Mass VIII in it's entirety (as Paul VI requested) and most importantly, are FULL.

Moral of the story, if your are stuck in the 1980's, these hymnals are not for you.
  • CharlesW
    That was interesting. That there is a "disconnect" between the two camps is obvious. It is also apparent, that they want little to do with each other. I am in the position of needing to buy both the Vatican II and Worship IV hymnals to keep both camps semi-happy. The parish can't afford both, so that is an impossibility.

I like the older hymns in Vatican II, but the selection is limited and the layout is weird. The camp II group would hate it. I have heard forum suggestions to make handouts with unincluded hymns, but that kind of defeats the purpose in spending money for a hymnal. Worship IV has unfortunately kept some of the unsingable garbage from RitualSong, which I never use (I have RS but leave the bad stuff out). But it does sell well, and keeping it in Worship IV is likely a marketing decision. The camp I people would detest it. I am afraid this will not be winable either way.
  • Reading the blog post, it struck me that the writer, James Frazier, gives a different account of the musical aspect of the liturgical renewal issued by the council fathers. He talks about two versions of the liturgy the fathers are supposed to have given us: one in Latin with Gregorian chant (version I) and one in the vernacular with hymns and songs (version II).

I don't think that this is what really happened. Prior to the council, there were essentially two ways to celebrate Mass: with liturgical song (missa cantata) or without (missa lecta). To promote liturgical singing, the council allowed for something in between: if desirable, some, but not all texts could be sung. The instruction Musicam Sacram gives different degrees of progressive solemnity: if there is to be song, the dialogues and prayers come first, then the ordinary and lastly the propers.
    Then, for the propers there is the following order of preference, laid down in the new Missale Romanum: first the propers from the typical editions of liturgical chant (Graduale Romanum and Graduale Simplex), then other suitable chants. (NB: the Dutch bishops have divided the latter category in four other preferences: (1) psalms and scriptural canticles, (2) other scriptural texts, (3) texts from liturgical sources, and (4) newly composed lyrics).
    These preferences are regardless the language used; they apply to both Latin and the vernacular. The propers always have preference above other songs.

The two versions described by Frazier don't exist. At least, not on paper. It's true that, basically, the liturgical praxis soon developed into these two versions, but that certainly is not what the council fathers had in mind!
    Thanked by 1Osacrumconviv
  • GavinGavin
    I, too, was put off by this "version I / version II" talk. I've never heard anything like it, though I would like to hear the evidence to back up this assertion. It strikes me as perhaps trying to legitimize the excesses of postconciliar practice.

Is this the same James Frazier who wrote Maurice Durufle: The Man and His Music? I very recently read an essay of his, and so I'm given to wonder if it's the same guy. If so, he's a fantastic musicologist.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    Although not what the council fathers had in mind, that is exactly what happened. At this late stage, does it really matter what they had in mind? I was in my mid-teens when the council started. I watched the bishops return from the council and completely abdicate any responsibility for the liturgy. The predictable happened.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    What a load of BS. If I had the time I would critique the self-proclaimed review line by line. Suffice it to say the author doesn't even understand what a book review is nor does he have a clear understanding of the council documents. While he makes some valid points and observances, he presents opinions as facts. In practice, surely there are two if not more interpretations of the council's instruction on sacred music, but nowhere in any official document that I have read is there any indication of the council envisioning two camps or ways of celebrating the liturgy. To the contrary, the council introduced the idea of progressive solemnity precisly to eliminate any distinction between a so called high and low Mass. Christ instituted One Church and One sacred liturgy. The whole notion of an American church in which everyone can have it their way just like at Burger King is indeed a very protestant notion, dare I say heresy, which may explain why the auther in question is now employed by the Episcopal church. An authetic review of the hymnals in question could quite legitimatley question the lack of present day hymnody just as an honest critique of the mainstream offerings might call into question the exclusion of Jubilate Deo. Still, it's not that difficult to understand why there is such a dearth in modern sacred music of quality, particularly with regards to hymnody, when one considers the overwhelming lack of authentic catechisis over the past fifty years.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I have to say that via my one encounter with Dr. Frazier over at PTB inwhich I questioned a portion of his review of W4 as rather silly and dismissive (and for which I received an equally silly and dismissive rebuke from him and excoriation of others incredulous that I would challenge JAMES FRAZIER!) that Earl's POV is well taken.
  • Liam
    Btw, this is not a book review, despite the headline caption given to it: as he explains at the end of the column, it's background for his individual reviews of these hymnals that are related in spirit. And he is actually quite critical of Version II, as he terms it. It's an opinion piece that toggles in a quicksilver fashion between indicative and subjunctive moods in a manner that is quite familiar in Catholic musical discussions, even on these boards here.

I would suggest there was also another Version: The Ted Marier approach. AKA The Road (Largely) Not Taken. It provided for a sung Mass (mostly in the vernacular, but with congregations also being familiar with settings in Latin of dialogues and the Ordinary and some classic liturgical hymnody), room for propers but not an emphasis on them, a tremendous mostly-vernacular psalter based on the Roman tones, and hymn selections that typically involved settings that often chosen for being sympathetic to a chantlike (arsis-thesis) delivery of phrases in a single breath (this last aspect of Marier's hymn choices is not obvious to the eye or just looking at his hymnals, but gradually reveals itself over a period of years of listening to how many of those hymns were typically offered.) Marier loved the chant tradition, yet also had "let the people sing" as a mantra. He studiously avoided the polarization that occurred in Catholic liturgical music after the Council. Instead, he combined deep scholarship with decades of cumulative experience dating to the late 1940s in working with congregations to sing the liturgy.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I would wholeheartedly heartedly embrace the Marier approach, which in my estimation is exactly what the council fathers called for. I don't think there is a single Catholic Hymnal available today that would work as a sole worship aid. What we need is a Marier hymnal that provides both chant and hymnody, traditional and contemporary hymns as well as settings for the Mass ordinary--mostly vernacular but with Latin being presented as normative and not something for just a few old-school sentimentals. The uniting principle of such a hymnal/service book would be that all of the music would be of the highest quality and all of the texts would be Catholic without any trace of ambiguous theology or pandering to political correctness.

And the review was presented as such in the title and last paragraph as well as the lead on this thread. I was not being critical of his opinion; everyone is entitled to that, but what I took away from the article is that he stated as fact the Council envisioned two distinct forms of the liturgies, which it clearly did not.

There is no American catholic church; there is only the Roman Catholic Church in the United States (though it may sometimes seem otherwise). Pope Benedict has spoken out against using terms like the old Mass and the new Mass. And yet, growing up my Catholic teachers certainly taught that Latin, chant and just about all other traditions were in fact banned by the council and now we have this new church (Sing a new church into being?) made up of warm-fuzzies, gender neutrality, moral relativity and all the other PC BS that has been indoctrinated and presented as "Catholic" and falsely blamed on the council.

I still don't have all the answers as to what happened with Vatican II, but accepting dichotomies within the Church as normal or having been promulgated is not helpful.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm relying upon the old admonition that there is no such thing as a "dumb" question. Outside of the CounterReformation "reaction" that allowed local deployment of Chorale Hymns that became integral to the Singmesses and its various off-shoots over the intervening centuries, what is the "smoking gun" proof (where, when, why, how?) that licensed strophic hymnody, among other forms eventually, as the so-called "Fourth Option" for use at a Roman Rite Liturgy in the first GIRM?
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I don't know. It is my understanding that the high Mass with sung propers was an all or nothing proposition. The low Mass, which was more common place included congregational hymnody even in the vernacular but that it didn't constitute a part of the Mass since it was the priest who said the Mass, and mostly inaudibly. Still that is where the four-hymn sandwhich concept came from. The council intended to eliminate the distinction between a sung and said Mass by introducing the concept of progressive solemnity. My understanding of the GIRM would techically only call for a hymn as an optional hymn of praise and thankgiving after communion. Though conceivably a hymm could also be sung before the entrance chant or after the dismissal. Option 4 I don't think was inteded as a catch all for anything goes and option 3 for that matter doesn't seem to even be available since there is no such approved collection.

That being said, I was accustomed to singing four hymns or "folk songs" at Mass and propers were somthing that I equated with the "old" Mass. Then, after actually reading the documents, I realized how different theory was from practice. I've tried incorporating more chant and sung propers and even some Latin ordinaries but that is always met with resistance by much of the congregation as well as the clergy.
  • CharlesW
    Sometimes with Latin and chant, it is a matter of degree rather than kind. I use English chant, and at Lent and Advent, Latin chant. The English propers for communion I always use, sometimes also singing the offertory. I rarely use introits, unless it is for preludes during certain seasons, such as Advent. Hymns work better for entrance in my situation. This is about the extent of Latin and Propers that my congregation will accept. It isn't 1962 any more and the whole world has changed since then.
    Thanked by 1WiesOrganista
  • Some kids eat nothing but hot dogs, and will accept peas only sparingly. Lettuce is verboten.

Whatever gets you through the day; that doesn't make it something to settle for.
  • Mark P.
    The High Mass tradition (Version I) persisted in Los Angeles through the 1970's with the choir singing the Ordinary (sans Credo) along with hymns, motets and anthems. The people sang virtually nothing except the G major chant Alleluia. Gregorian chant (i.e., the Propers), however, had almost completely disappeared, which makes me wonder how well established it was pre-VII. Virtually all of that is gone now.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Gee, E.A. wish we all could walk on water in a perfect world.

Mark P., many of those things disappeared well before the council. Vatican II gets blamed for everything.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • DougS
    The original NO GIRM didn't even have a "fourth option." There were only three.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ah, Doug, we're progressing. However, though I may be looking for the Dr. Moriarty who infilrated his machinations into a basic system of psalmody, I'm no longer interested in whether the motive was nefarious or benificent. The point being that it is not ever the case that a "one size fits all" dictum will yield universally positive results, nor that an eclectic but well prepared and executed discipline using multiple options (or even, arggh, only fourth option) will inevitably fail and collapse.
    I suppose what I'm saying ultimately is that even in an environment where the ritual expression is clearly legislated, acknowledged by TPTB, the practitioners (musicians etc.) and the people, there will remain inability, accomodation and a certain percentage of failure that may meet or exceed the success of uniformity and universality.
    Maybe the portion of the GIRM that is the most real and thus vexing is not contained in the options, but the truism "All things being equal."
  • chonakchonak
    We may have to dig through documents and old editions of Notitiae to find the answer.
  • CharlesW
    Some kids eat nothing but hot dogs, and will accept peas only sparingly. Lettuce is verboten.

Whatever gets you through the day; that doesn't make it something to settle for.

About once per month someone comes up with this, or a similarly dopey, food reference. First of all, we are not children and don't need some self-styled expert to choose anything for us. Secondly, many of the "ideals" expounded on this forum sound suspiciously like Tridentine masses. Thank God, we don't have to sit through those anymore, and that Vatican II reformed and revised the liturgy. It needed it.

Granted, I don't care for some of the excesses that have occured in too many places. I support restoring sacred music to the liturgy, with chant being one form of acceptable sacred music - not the only one. I tend toward a more Anglican model, with those glorious hymns and anthems. However, I am not "settling" for anything. I am exactly where my congregation wishes to be. It may not fit your "ideal," but that is your problem, not mine.
  • The Episcopalian who is doing the reviews is obviously struggling to understand basic facts.

He seems to be saying that to exclude pieces by Marty Haugen and the like is to "deny the Incarnation." Many serious Catholics might say that he would be closer to the truth if he said that to include pieces by Haugen is to deny the Incarnation!

In any event, I notice he fails to suggest a single "hymn" (song?) he feels is so great written after Vatican II ... and this is wise! Maybe he should start inquiring about the actual quality of the music, rather than when the composer or author lived. I remember when the Glory & Praise came out in the 1970's, there was not even one piece of music that had existed before the Council. This is a typical example of the kind of stuff regularly published at the Pray Tell Blog. I scanned over a few of the articles there, and saw an Episcopalian criticizing the SALVE REGINA as theologically deficient (since it calls the world a “vale of tears” etc.), a 19-year-old who praises Cardinal Bernadin, and then says "Concerted efforts have been made to kill moral theology and liberation theology, except at St. John's University," and the astonishing (heretical) statement: "The communion bread at Mass is not appropriately called the Blessed Sacrament."
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • CharlesW
    The last time I looked at a Glory & Praise many years ago, I thought the Christmas carols were OK. That's about it, however.

Were we to back off and look at U.S. Catholic practice from the outside, we might conclude that there are two different camps - at war with each other. That wouldn't be unreasonable.
  • ghmus7
    Well, since this thread was supposed to be about hymnals, I would like just to say that I am impressed with the latest version of the St. Michael hymnal, and that is comes closest yet to anything I have seen to be a real 'Catholic Hymnal". It's pretty much got every beautiful hymn that you could wish, in unpolitical language, and no bizarre theology. Sure there are no propers like the VII, but the book is intended to be a hymnal, not a book of propers. Yes, it has some of the folk-type stuff that is so popular from the 7o's but you are certainly not bound to do those (unless people want to stone you)... and it does serve to make the book more sell-able to a wider group. The thing I don't like is the arranging of the hymns in alphabetical order. It does not present the hymns in context of the liturgical year. A small thing though. We should really support this accomplishment and make the hymnal better known.
  • CharlesW
    I haven't seen the St. Michael. Does it contain Sunday readings?
  • I just read a rather scathing review of the Adoremus Hymnal by the Fr. Anthony Ruff group at PTB. As it happens, I actually know Helen Hull Hitchcock pretty well, so I was amused by the comments Frazier made about copyrights in Adoremus (which were completely inaccurate). The Pray Tell Blog routinely speaks in rather insulting terms about such luminaries as Monsignor Andrew Wadsworth, Cardinal Burke, our current Pope, and others, so expect the Adoremus people will wear this review as a badge of honor ...
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • Charles you wrote:

"Secondly, many of the "ideals" expounded on this forum sound suspiciously like Tridentine masses. Thank God, we don't have to sit through those anymore, and that Vatican II reformed and revised the liturgy. It needed it."

Wow! I happen to like those. The most robust Mass I ever went to was in Indianapolis a few years back and was, in fact an EF Mass. Don't misunderstand me - I regularly play for and attend the N.O. in the midwest. But they had a complete squad of children (around 30) up in the choir loft, alternating with an adult choir of around 20. They belted out a Processional hymn, followed by the 'Asperges', followed by the Introit. The congregation was singing almost painfully loudly but yet it was great! There was no weakness, no jacket wearing, get-me-out-of-here-as-soon-as-possible types. It was a full, dynamic Mass that was faithful, orthodox, and didn't leave you confused about what the Church taught. That was the only occasion that I traveled and found a Mass that didn't make me angry.

I haven't had time to sift through all of your comments here, but it's abundantly clear that while reforms needed to happen (which ones specifically I can't say in the short time I have) the implementation, ambiguity, and carelessness with which they were 'implemented' have had a disasterous impact on our Catholicity. One can say over and over again, "Well, it doesn't matter. It's all about the Gospel and the Eucharist." I say, "Fine, show me! Show me, through the appropriate devotions, gestures what the Faith is purporting to proclaim."

The Mass must be our best catechist! (And sorry for the rant!)

To save face and claim that I am on-topic: We use the St. Michael Hymnal and really like it!

Thanked by 1donr
  • CharlesW
    There is nothing wrong with the Tridentine mass. If you like it and it speaks to you, attend and support it. But don't beat the rest of us over the head with it and proclaim your superiority because of it. We unfortunately have certain pontificating posters who do that routinely. Although having worked to get it established in my city, I don't attend it because - I don't have the time with 4 NO masses each Sunday, and I am Byzantine. I remember it as a child, but it is not my "native" liturgy.

Liturgy is what one makes of it. It can be garbage, or it can be glorious. In my 4 masses, it is the best NO I can accomplish with current resources.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The "other, stealth, hidden" Chaz would like to remind that "we the people," contrary perhaps to what was perceived by the advent of Summorum Pontificum, do not possess the faculties to institute scheduled EF Masses at any ecclesial level of our own accord. OTOH, I don't consider that a hindrance at all to evangelizing on its behalf among the faithful; let them write the pastors, storm the offices, appeal (diplomatically) to bishops, write to Ecclesia Dei if they've followed protocols. But, in lieu of any local priest/celebrant who is, for whatever reason is disinclined or unable to precisely enact the ritual demands, patience and charity should attend those faithfuls' prayers.
    In the meanwhile, I would in that effort of evangelization, try to point pastors and priests to the work Fr. Allan McDonald is doing at St. Joseph's in Macon, GA. He has virtually catalogued every thought he's had on his blog "Southern Orders" as regards how the EF can virtually inform and transform the OF as close to the Mahrt paradigm as I've yet found anywhere. Sometimes Father and his prognostic prowess leads to excessive imagination, but he, like Z, is AT LEAST DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THE STATUS QUO, and not treading water with the missalette Mass week after week.
    As far as the hymnal thread, I think Frazier has agenda to push (who doesn't?), I think that the responsibility of choosing a long term and durable (in both meanings) hymnal/missal is a daunting and extremely political and potentially polarizing decision. I'll be glad not to make that choice when we eventually move from pulp to ????
  • CharlesW
    To add to what I said previously, the "ideal' of the Church is the current Roman Missal. Granted, there can be problems in its implementation. I agree with that. Cleaning up some of the abuses would be great, and many are working toward that goal. But again, the "ideal" is the current missal.

I often find myself in agreement with the hidden Charles, btw.
  • francis
    charles said

"I am exactly where my congregation wishes to be."

Is this truly your measuring rod of sacred music? "My congregation" wants nothing but sing to the mountains and let there be peace on earth. I just can't see leaving them in their own ignorance. They didn't even have an organ for many years or an organist until I was hired four years ago. Now that they have had some exposure to GC, good hymnody, some polyphony (very little for lack of resources) they are hungering for more. We are responsible to bring them into the faith (and that includes the music OF our faith).
  • BenBen
    charles, don't forget about GIRM no. 42. It tells us "attention must therefore be paid to what is determined by this General Instruction and by the traditional practice of the roman rite and to what serves the common spiritual good of the people of god, rather than private inclination or arbitrary choice."

In our case, the EF is the codification of the traditional practice of the Roman Rite. It has remained almost the same for quite a long time.
  • CharlesW
    You don't know my congregation. They don't tolerate innovation well and are quite traditional in what they want. However, neither they nor I wish to implement the 1962 missal. We are happy to work with the current standard. The EF is the EF. It is not the currently mandated missal.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "Extraordinary" does not mean "better."
    It literally means "not usual."
    Atypical.
    Other than normal.

(Not relevant, but funny- I once heard a lawyer explain that in a ruling by a judge, the word "extraordinary" usually means "stupid." As in, "The claim that such-and-such a law can be interpreted in the way proposed is extraordinary."
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    Ben

One should clarify that item specifically regards bodily posture: "The gestures and bodily posture of both the Priest, the Deacon, and the ministers, and also of the people, must be conducive to making the entire celebration resplendent with beauty and noble simplicity, to making clear the true and full meaning of its different parts, and to fostering the participation of all.[52] Attention must therefore be paid to what is determined by this General Instruction and by the traditional practice of the Roman Rite and to what serves the common spiritual good of the People of God, rather than private inclination or arbitrary choice. A common bodily posture, to be observed by all those taking part, is a sign of the unity of the members of the Christian community gathered together for the Sacred Liturgy, for it expresses the intentions and spiritual attitude of the participants and also fosters them."
  • francis
    Charles:

I never mentioned the 1962 Missal. I simply pointed out that your standard seems to be what the congregation wants or desires. That is quite arbitrary in terms of deciding sacred music. That's all I was saying.
  • CharlesW
    None of that was directed at you to begin with, Francis. I get tired of some posters who have comments on everything not living up to the "ideal." The "ideal" is not the 1962 missal. That was my point. With my own congregation, I could never get away with some of the craziness found in some parishes. They wouldn't stand for it. I have often thought that the one thing superior about the 1962 missal, is the attitudes of some who use it.

Thanked by 1formeruser
  • francis
    ...O....Kay..... this is a forum discussion, isn't it? ...think I will just leave you where you are. Thanks for clarifying your position.
  • Adam,

It's humorous that the word 'extraordinary' when referring to the Traditional Latin Mass can be explained as "very rare", "almost never done" or, in Adam's post "atypical" or "stupid". (Hopefully that was really a joke! :)

'Extraordinary' when it comes to 'Extraordinary Ministers of the Holy Eucharist' seems to almost always indicate a great number seen at every Mass without exception.

And here-in lies the problem - poor implementation, ambiguity, and such casual carelessness.

• francis
    Adam said:

"Extraordinary" does not mean "better."
    It literally means "not usual."
    Atypical.
    Other than normal.

(Not relevant, but funny- I once heard a lawyer explain that in a ruling by a judge, the word "extraordinary" usually means "stupid." As in, "The claim that such-and-such a law can be interpreted in the way proposed is extraordinary."

Adam. Maybe you should find another lawyer. Note in particular Number 2 below.

(from a legal dictionary website)

ex·traor·di·nar·y (k-strôrdn-r, kstr-ôr-)
    adj.
    1. Beyond what is ordinary or usual: extraordinary authority.
    2. Highly exceptional; remarkable: an extraordinary achievement.
    3. Employed or used for a special service, function, or occasion: a minister extraordinary; an extraordinary professor.

I will give you that the EF is not normal, but that certainly doesn't put it in the "weird or stupid" category. In fact, the opposite. Only those who are disposed to it are even willing or able carry it out. Put plainly, I am proporting that those who DO celebrate the EF are extraordinary in their abilities to express the highest (highly exceptional, remarkable and extraordinary in achievement) form of the Roman Rite. Would you agree?
  • WJA
    Adam. Maybe you should find another lawyer.

No, Adam's lawyer is correct: if a judge says a litigant's argument is "extraordinary," as in, "The plaintiff makes the extraordinary claim that X," that's not a compliment.

If, on the other hand, your pleading states that "this is the plaintiff's first request for extraordinary relief," (translation: this is the first time the plaintiff has asked for a preliminary injunction), then "extraordinary" has the more typical meaning of "unusual," since a preliminary injunction is considered "beyond what is ordinary or usual."
  • francis
    I totally agree with "unusual", but refute "stupid". That is what he said his lawyer said. That is also to infer that the EF is stupid. That is simply an inflamatory statement, especially on this forum.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I would definitely not call the EF weird or stupid. I think the liberalization of older forms of liturgy is a wonderful thing on many levels. And when combined with the Anglican Ordinariate and (what seems to be) an increased use of other forms of the Rite (Ambrosian, Dominican, etc), there seems to be a strong signal that Liturgical diversity is a good and noble thing.

Regardless of my or anyone else's opinions on the worthiness of the Older or Newer forms of the Mass, the fact remains- the Extraordinary From is, by definition, Not the Norm.

"Better" is an opinion- we can disagree on what is better.
    "Normative" is not an opinion- if you think the EF is "normative," you are deluding yourself.

Additionally....
    The anecdote about the lawyer does not indicate my opinions about the EF Mass. Also, the statement was actually in commentary about the use of the word, "Extraordinary" in a specific context. It was not a generalized example- some judge had actually used the word "extraordinary" in the manner I wrote of, and the lawyer was commenting that it should be understood to mean "stupid."
    Also, it wasn't "my" lawyer.
    Also, I said it was unrelated. I always thought it was a funny story. It is not relevant to the matter under discussion, nor was it intended to inflame anybody.

As for "Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion"
    You should not beat people over the head with a word (this is why we shouldn't have all those lay people distributing communion) and then act like it means something else when it suits you (the Extraordinary Form is the ideal!).

• francis
    Adam:

Thanks for clarifying
  • Francis wrote: "I am proporting that those who DO celebrate the EF are extraordinary in their abilities to express the highest (highly exceptional, remarkable and extraordinary in achievement) form of the Roman Rite."

If the Council Fathers had regarded the 1962 missal as the "highest" form of the Roman rite, would they have decreed that it be reformed and even identified several specific ways in which it was to be reformed (e.g., elimination of duplication and of elements added over time to little advantage, introduction of a multi-year lectionary cycle, simplification of ceremonial to make it intelligible to the people without extensive explanation)?

While my own views on the merits and defects of the 1962 missal may be of no consequence, since I am an Anglican, I should think that the assessment of this missal that is implcit in Sacrosanctum concilium would carry considerable weight with Roman Catholics.

The extent to which the 1969 missal represented the kind of reform envisioned by the framers of Sacrosanctum concilium is, of course, subject to debate, as is the extent to which actual liturgical praxis has reflected the intentions of that missal's compilers.
  • CharlesW: Didn't write that the 1962 is the ideal. For reference:

Only thing that observation points out is that if we should settle it's on never more than a day by day basis.

If "hermeneutic of continuity" means anything, or "reform of the reform", the Novus Ordo should look suspiciously like the Tridentine Mass. That's precisely the point. Only once it does can we finally let go and let organic development take over as it always has.

In the words of Lazlo Dobszay (Klaus Gamber?):

"... we should return to 1962, not in order to stop there but rather to implement a badly conducted reform in a good way!"
    Thanked by 1JacobFlaherty
  • Nice quote above! I, too, am not one that thinks that all was perfect and well and that things couldn't have been done better before 1962, but my heavens, I'm a young guy (30 years old) and I can see that a life-long of the typical way the NO Masses are said HAS NOT been fruitful for almost any of my one-time-Catholic friends. I know we're leaving the topic that was begun, and I apologize...

And I was just trying to point out the irony of the word 'extraordinary' being used by the Church in two different ways as a means to illustrate the poor implementation, ambiguity and carelessness that marked the reforms. Any organization that would purport to be doing a good job being clear would never use the same word in two different settings and have them mean completely and utterly the opposite things.
    That's called confusion and that confusion filters down to the people in the pews. They sense the tension. Most of us are schooled in these things and we can't even figure it out.

And that is why an innocent post about Church hymnals becomes this...

Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • francis
    Bruce:

In my view, 'reforming' the EF does not reduce it from being the highest form in the slightest way, but actually heightens it to even a greater degree. Summorum Pontificum solidifies this truth. Scrutiny over time always purifies what is redundant or superfluous in the developing rites of our church. No liturgical form will ever reach perfection here on earth, but I believe the EF comes very close in that regard. Especially in its unique musical expression, the GC.

It has taken 50 years for the innovators of the NO to begin to come to terms with what is 'good' and what is not with the new Mass. I say 'innovators' because the NO did not rise within the church organically as did the EF, but came top down in a fundamentally synthetic fashion. It is only now that the church is realizing what VII intended as opposed to what was actually implemented. It was a disconnect (as we all know about the hermeneutic of continuity).

The splendor of a rite such as the EF has been seven times refined in the furnace of time and scrutiny. I would contest that a 1 versus 3 year calendar is a point that doesn't actually affect the "form" of the rite per se, as for me, form means music, text and action.

Perhaps once the NO has been under the microscope for hundreds of years (as has been the EF) the blunders will be entirely removed and it will begin to approach what looks more like the EF. Of course I am specifically addressing the horrendous hiccup of abberation in musical form (the inclusion of pop music, etc.), let alone the text which was largely scrapped in the implementation of MR3.

More and more (even in our own small diocese here) the EF is truly being appreciated for what it is, and is having a wonderful impact on Catholic liturgical life.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I find the claims made here regarding organic development vs. manufactured liturgy to be somewhat spurious, considering that the thing you (and others) object most to about the OF (folk music, casualness, etc.) is not part of what the framers of the Novus Ordo manufactured with the new Missal, but rather is what organically and spontaneously developed all over the world.

This is not a judgement call regarding the value or worth of EF vs. OF, or folk/pop/casual vs. traditional/reverent. I just think the language used to describe these things is a bit misleading.

----Please excuse the following use of mild profanity, or skip it.------

When liturgical practitioners are left to their own devices (the best definition I can think of for Organic Development) most people, parishes, cultures will produce crap, and it will be crap in a style that reflects the time period it is produced in. Most Liturgical Reform is interested in removing all the added crap, and occasionally also with adding some things back in which had been removed to make way for the crap. The response to Liturgical Reform is generally to find new justifications for doing more or the same crap as before.

If anything makes the EF better than the OF, it does not lie in the fact that the EF developed organically while the OF was manufactured. If anything, it may be that current EF practice is so high-quality precisely because it is being manufactured, while the OF in so many places is subject to a great deal of Organically Developed crap.
    Thanked by 2ryand Andrew_Malton
  • The following chart was sent to us as a .doc file. With permission from the creator, I have changed it to a PDF file and have posted it online:

Many such charts have been sent to us, but this one seemed to me to be particularly complete and (one-page chart) fits on 1 piece of paper nicely. Feel free to download it, if your parish committee would find it useful.
  • francis
    Adam

Let's make it clear so as not to be at all misleading.

The single most damaging synthetic fabrication (novelty) was turning the priest around to face the people. I remember it vividly as I was an altar boy when the change occurred. The music that followed was not organic growth from inside the liturgy. Instead a vacuum occurred; a secular style (broadway stage entertainment) was literally sucked into the void and lyrics about God were superimposed on the American NY operatic form. That is NOT organic growth, nor is it sacred music, but simply an act of desperation spawned by confusion fueled by capital opportunism. Hence, the birth of OCP and the explosion of the catholic-pop-music-frenzy phenomena.
  • The development of the old Roman rite was not entirely organic. Replacement of the immemorial intercessory biddings and collects at the conclusion of the Liturgy of the Word with an intercessory litany in the entrace rite in the late 5th century was a significant change imposed by authority--not an "organic development." Gregory the Great's excision of a huge corpus of prefaces--many of which have been restored in the Novus ordo,is another example of significant change imposed by authority. So also was his addition of "diebus nostris in tua pace disponas..." to the Hanc igitur. Other examples can be cited.

The bizarre process by which the fraction came to be transferred from the Agnus Dei (introduced by Pope Sergius to cover it) to the Embolism to the Lord's Prayer is surely an example of organic development run amok. (Briefly, the commingling of the
    fermentum came to be associated with the words, "Pax Domini...." When the fermentum was no longer sent to the titular churches of Rome, a second fraction was introduced to provide a particle that could be commingled at these words. The proper fraction, performed during the Agnus Dei, with its own commingling, then came to be viewed as redundant and disappeared, leaving only the fraction performed during the recitation of a text that was in no way related to it. (See Jungmann). The mess was cleaned up in the Novus ordo.

The merits and defects of the post-Conciliar rite can certainly be debated. Furthermore, those who point out that far more change was introduced in the decade following Vatican II than in any previous period of such short length are correct. But Alcuin Reid and others who draw a sharp contrast between the "organic" development of the old rite and the authoritarian imposition of change after Vatican II do not stand on solid ground.

I suspect that my distaste for celebration facing the people is as strong as that of anyone here, but the 1969 GIRM did not mandate celebration facing the people. It required only that main altars be built apart from the wall so that one could walk around them and Mass could be celebrated facing the people. The rubrics at various points in the instruct the priest to turn to the people. These would be unnecessary if celebration facing the people had been mandated.