Hello Everyone
  • Hi everyone,

I've been reading Chant Cafe for a while now and have recently decided to spend time to teach myself how to sing. I attend a local parish that is rife with bad hymns, "teen" music, and a neglected organ. I hope to eventually start a schola for the parish and eventually to be able to provide music for one of the Sunday liturgies.

However, as I am just starting out, I was hoping for some advice. I am doing all I can to teach myself the art, but how do I bring people to form a group without rousing the suspicion of more liberally-inclined parishoners? And about that organ: is it worth learning to play it by practicing on a keyboard, or should I just focus on the singing?

I'm just starting out and relatively young (23), so while hopeful, I've kept my expectations reserved. So what are your thoughts about what I can do to make this a success?
  • CharlesW
    First, talk to the pastor. You will not accomplish much without his support. Find out what he wants and if he will back you in forming a schola and singing better music. If so, talk to singers you can trust. Determine if they have friends who also might like to sing. Ask the pastor if he will pay an organist for one mass. Organ students and retired organists often are looking for a little work, and may not charge a large amount.
    Thanked by 3Gavin PMulholland donr
  • If you haven't seen it already, you might enjoy reading an article that Arlene and Jeffery published a few years back: "How to Start Your Own Garage Schola"
    http://www.ceciliaschola.org/pdf/garage.pdf

They bring up some good points about how to start gradually and build support without, as you say, arousing suspicion in the parish.
  • GavinGavin
    Don't teach yourself how to sing. Find a teacher. And as for your schola idea, find an experienced choirmaster to help you out. Learn from the best. There's probably an experienced chanter around who can help you out with your goals.
    Thanked by 2IanW donr
  • CharlesW
    you didn't say where you are located. Perhaps there are CMAA members nearby who can help you.
  • I am in Upland, CA, which is a suburb of Los Angeles but part of the diocese of San Bernardino (from my experience there is no functional difference between the two dioceses).

And thank you jczarn. I read the article earlier which is where I got the idea for learning how to sing myself.

I know that there is a schola in Alhambra which isn't too far from here. It might be worthwhile to contact them about the idea and maybe get some training if anyone is willing.
  • gregpgregp
    I think most people here would be delighted to find out that someone nearby was interested in starting something up, and would be happy to help out.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I believe Upland is near Walnut and Mt. San Antonio Community College, which is THE choral Mecca of Junior colleges for vocal/choral music nationwide. Should finds lots of resources via Mt. SAC if you visit there.
  • Mt. SAC is very close by, melofulent. Do you have any idea about who I should contact there?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Prof. Bruce Rogers is Director of Vocal Studies, Prof. Bill McIntosh Asst. Dir.
    I would simply ask them about former students who have voice studios in the area, I'd trust them completely and have known them both for years.
  • And would you recommend that I use those voice studios to practice or possibly recruit other people? In other words, where do I go from there?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    IIRC, you want to develop your own vocal understanding and competency. I don't think that amounts to an either/or scenario for your desire to help in your parish. But, the voice is "the" instrument of worship in the Church, so your abilities as an organist, as valuable they are, will better augment what you learn about how to produce beautiful vocal sound from the disparate folks who will want to join you.
  • PeterJ
    It sounds like you are in a pretty typical parish!

CharlesW is right - you must get a sense of what your pastor wants. Establishing yourself and building up a relationship of trust with your pastor is important.

When it comes to getting started, you may find you have to start off as a solo cantor and sort of take it from there. Make it known you want help and people may then start approaching you to join in.

Looking a bit further down the line, if you do manage to get a little group together (or even start off solo), take it slowly. Get your priorities clear in your mind. Go for the easy wins first (i.e. things that won't ruffle too many feathers but would actually improve things). To start with, I suggest try "good hymns" that have decent words and are reasonably uplifting and tuneful - old favorites. Here in the UK I would say hymns like "Be thou my vision", "Dear Lord and Father of mankind", "Guide me O thou great redeemer" etc etc - you know the type - go for whatever is the equivalent in your part of the world, but avoid "boring" or "stodgy" hymns like the plague.

We all know that hymns are not the ideal but we are where we are, and a good hymn is loads better than "teen music" so its a good place to start straight away.

Next stop may be to try and get the parish singing the Ordinary of the Mass to a half-decent setting. The Missal setting for the Kyrie, Sanctus and Agnus Dei are probably a good place to start, as these work nicely unaccompanied, and (with a bit of preparation and confidence) you will find it quite manageable to lead them as a cantor.

Just my initial thoughts there. Hope that helps.

Good luck.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • JennyJenny
    Welcome, Tony.

I wouldn't talk to your pastor just yet. Take some time to study and learn. Right now all you can tell him is that you don't like the music at the parish and you're taking lessons so you can make it better. That might not go down very well unless you know that the pastor is looking for something new in regards to music.

Take the time to educate yourself and don't worry about how this might play out in your parish. Opportunities may (and I dare say, will) arise for you that you can't even imagine now. When I first started to learn about chant and the Church teachings on music, I had the same goal as you- to make things better at my parish. It took 10 years, and a lot of singing at other places before anyone at my parish was interested in what I had to say (and they're still not really that interested). But along the way I've met many kindred souls and had the chance to sing in some quite unexpected venues.

So what I'm trying to say is... Learn to sing, learn the chant. As for what may come of it, you have plans but God may have other ones. It's an adventure!