The Day You Gave Us
  • ghmus7
    Hey everyone, someone objected to the hymn "The Day That You Gave Us" as having sme theological problems. I've looked at and can't see it. any comments? The GIA version is the same except for the modern language.

The day Thou gavest, Lord, is ended,
    The darkness falls at Thy behest;
    To Thee our morning hymns ascended,
    Thy praise shall sanctify our rest.

We thank Thee that Thy church, unsleeping,
    While earth rolls onward into light,
    Through all the world her watch is keeping,
    And rests not now by day or night.

As o’er each continent and island
    The dawn leads on another day,
    The voice of prayer is never silent,
    Nor dies the strain of praise away.

The sun that bids us rest is waking
    Our brethren ’neath the western sky,
    And hour by hour fresh lips are making
    Thy wondrous doings heard on high.

So be it, Lord; Thy throne shall never,
    Like earth’s proud empires, pass away:
    Thy kingdom stands, and grows forever,
    Till all Thy creatures own Thy sway.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I have a tendency to automatically "translate" potentially heretical hymns into orthodox theology in my head. (For example- the "our story" of Song of the Body of Christ has never once struck me as referring to anything other than The Story Contained in Sacred Scripture.) It's essentially an ingrained form of giving texts "the benefit of the doubt."

So, I'm maybe not the BEST judge here, but... I don't see anything really heretical. The last line could POSSIBLY be taken as a reference to universalism (the [heretical] doctrine that all souls will be saved and welcomed into heaven regardless of their resistance), but I don't take it to mean that at all.

The foreign lands and empire stuff is a touch dated- you saw a lot of that in the late 19th through mid 20th centuries. Christians don't tend to talk/sing that way now. Likewise the exultation of "the Church," (in an institutional sense, as opposed to the "we are the body of Christ" stuff) sounds dated (that does not imply a judgement on my part for good or bad). But those are just literary issues, not a theological problems.

The second line of the last stanza confused me the first time I read it, and made me think it was saying exactly the opposite of what it actually said. Since I assumed my first reading had to be inaccurate, I read it again and it makes sense, though I'd have grammared it differently to make it more clear.

Until someone else tells me I shouldn't, I like it. I don't know when/where/why I would ever program it. It seems most suited to an Evening or Night Prayer Service, but the Breviary specifies hymn texts for those, which (I believe ?? ) are not switch-out-able (side note: is that correct?).

I'm hoping Kathy will throw in her opinion here. She is our resident expert on hymnodical heresism.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    I suggest you go back to the person who said so and find out what s/he was thinking. Then clue us in!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    The burden of proof is on the accuser, not the hymn. I agree with Francis - ask them. Though I'd just avoid the complainer altogether. Or encourage them to take up stamp collecting rather than heresy hunting.
  • GavinGavin
    "I have a tendency to automatically "translate" potentially heretical hymns into orthodox theology in my head."

This strikes me as a very reasonable and sane approach. It's a shame that more people don't do so.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's based on the robustness principle:
    Be conservative in what you send, liberal in what you accept.
  • DougS
    Also the AB blood type.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Kathy
    Let this be writtern as my epitaph: She was our resident expert on hymnodical heresism. Many will thus mourn my passing, I am sure.

1) I love this hymn. Behest! Sway! And if you didn't know what those words meant before, you do now. O frabjous day!

2) If it isn't an office hymn it should be. This is just what office hymns are like.

3) The last line isn't universalist, because every knee shall bend, including those under the earth.

4) And yet--I quibble with the idea that people who call out "heresy!" must establish their claim precisely before they are considered credible. The sense of the faithful is much better at hearing an "off" note in doctrine than at articulating fine theological distinctions.

5) I think almost every hymn in the current breviary can be taken as an option 4.
  • For those of us who grew up Episcopalian, the tune St. Clement remains indelibly etched on our psyches. It remains, of course, a favored evensong hymn. One even hears it occasionally on old Masterpiece Mystery reruns where some sanctimonious twit gets his or her comeuppance, garroted by some academic whose evil scheme gets foiled by Inspector Morse.
  • If there were heresy in it, some theologian would have to point out to me in just what manner it is disguised cleverly.
    This is a perfectly good evening hymn, well-known in Anglican circles and sung often at Evensong (Solemn or not Solemn).
    While the allusions to far-flung lands brings a certain benevelant Victorian imperialism to mind, we can just as well take these references as charitable concern for those of every nation and race who inhabit this wondrous terrestrial ball.
    If anyone thought there was heresy in it I should think that he or she could as well
    make a sow's ear out of a silk purse.
  • It is one of the standard hymns for Night Prayer in the modern Divine Office in the Catholic Tradition.

I regularly use it. I also regularly use "Abide With Me".
  • ghmus7
    Thank you all for your comments!
    I think this objection had more to do with taste.
  • Lovely tune and text......I used it last evening for Compline at the close of Choir Rehearsal -
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • @ Randolph Nichols

here is a descant to ST CLEMENT recorded at Church of the Advent by a choir you once conducted
    http://hymndescants.org/hymn-descants/st-clement
    Thanked by 1Randolph Nichols