The 'Sherwin' Gloria and the congregation
  • JennyJenny
    Our music director is in the process of choosing a new Mass setting for our choir. Our parish has spent the last year doing the Missa Simplex (to good effect, I believe) but this fall, each music group is allowed to go its own way.

I steered her toward Jeff's new choral Mass in honor of Ralph Sherwin. She loves it but is concerned that it is too difficult for the congregation to learn and that the Church's preference is for the congregation to sing the Ordinary. I know 'choir alone' is an option but I don't think that would fly here, except on special occasions, as the people are used to singing the Gloria.

The choir Mass is the most 'traditional' of the ones at our parish by a long shot. The folks will generally sing metrical hymns and have been singing the simple Latin chant Sanctus and Agnus for a long time. In the spring, we tried a more complicated Gregorian Sanctus. The choir did well though the people didn't really sing along but nobody's head fell off from lack of participation. We will be adding more propers this year so there will likely be fewer hymns.

So the questions: 1. I know this Mass is new, but has anyone used it? How did your congregations respond? Maybe we should just sing the melody line for a while until the folks catch on?

2. How does one explain the balance between appropriate vocal participation from the congregation with the desire to present the most beautiful sacred music that one can?

I understand (and agree) about interior participation being primary etc. etc. but if the Ordinary is meant for the people to sing (generally) how much should that restrict the musical choices?
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • GavinGavin
    Having not used it, I'd like to speak to:

2. How does one explain the balance between appropriate vocal participation from the congregation with the desire to present the most beautiful sacred music that one can?

Anything the congregation sings is not going to be perfect. (And rarely the choir... but that's another topic!) So I think some patience is in good order. I reject the idea that this Gloria, or nearly any monophonic music, is "too hard to learn". It may be DIFFICULT, but that doesn't mean it won't get learned.

Patience. Realize it may take 3-6 weeks before it's sung strongly. You may have to accompany it, or not sing it in parts, for the first few months. The congregation might not be very loud, they might not even make much sound at all the first week. I'm iffy about "teaching" sessions - they always come off as tasteless and disruptive - but you might consider it.

Jeff Tucker described distributing practice CDs to congregation members a few weeks in advance, with good results. That's an option you might consider.

I'm reminded of one former church, where the pastor and I developed a good strategy for ordinaries: always something new, but only changing ONE element per season, all the rest being constant. Now, in practice, the pastor would freak out when "no one sang" the first week or two, and made me change it. But if the pastor would have had some patience, it would have caught on eventually.

If the Ordinary is meant for the people to sing (generally) how much should that restrict the musical choices?

For ANY congregational music (hymns, ordinary, responses), I take a rule of thumb: if I can't sight-sing it, I'm not using it. I'm not a great sight-singer (or a great singer), but I presume most anyone can learn and sing a well-constructed tonal melody, which is about the extent of my own abilities.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • When our choir is singing, they sing the Kyrie, Sanctus/Benedictus, and Agnus Dei of the choral Mass chosen for the day; the people sing the Gloria and the Creed. In summer non-choir season, it's all congregational; once or twice a year on a holy day, it's all choral. Been this way for a long time. An earlier Sunday Mass is always congregational (no choir).
    Thanked by 3Jenny Gavin Ben
  • BenBen
    Scott, that strikes me as a very nice balance. Some, but not all.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I have the same questions as Jenny and am looking forward to other responses here. Jeff O.'s "Sherwin" Gloria is probably my favorite of all the English settings I've heard — the "Amen" at the end is exquisite! I'd love for our congregation to know this one.

But I am concerned a bit about its difficulty level. Thinking of Gavin's comment here, I made a couple of errors myself when sight-singing the melody. I guess I find it more "tricky" than difficult per se… there are just a couple spots where I have to remind myself that there are two pitches on that syllable rather than just one, or vice versa.
  • I would suggest that the congregation is capable of learning most anything with enough practice. When we introduced Proulx's revised Mass for the City (which was new to the parish), participation on the Gloria was not immediate--but with time it has become well sung (two months, maybe).

I believe strongly that a key to congregational participation is consistency and repitition.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • Also, especially for Glorias, it helps if there are melodic motifs that reoccur. When we approached the new translation, our parish had no history in the last 20 years of singing through composed Glorias, and now that's all we do.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • We are introducing the St. Ralph Sherwin Mass setting of the Gloria at all English Sunday Masses in the Cathedral of the Madeleine this weekend. We have struggled to find a good setting in English - Jeff's setting is remarkably beautiful, rooted in our monodic chant tradition and particularly responsive to the English text.

We are introducing the first and third sections to the congregation with the Choir or Cantor singing the central section for the next several weeks. This is a departure from our usual full Latin Ordinary at the Mass with Choir. Jeff's setting is a tremendous step forward in the musical engagement of the Third Typical Edition translation.
  • I am quite wedded to the principle that the ordinary belongs to the people. They should have a repertory of at least three quality ordinaries: one for penitential seasons, one for Christmastide and Eastertide and Solemnities, and one for that portion of 'ordinary time' which follows Corpus Christi. (That portion of 'ordinary time' which follows Epiphany is actually the continuation of the Christmass cycle which ends on 2nd February, and should, therefore, use the Christmastide ordinary).

The more ordinaries the people know and the more they 'own' them, the less likely (and less appropriate) it becomes to object to cantorial and choral propers as shunting the people aside. If the people really own their hymns, ordinaries and dialogues, the more fittingly will they appreciate the choir's (or schola's, or cantor's) role in singing anthems and the propers. A rhythmic reciprocation which reverberates throughout the mass is established which all can see and experience the beauty of.
    Though I am one of many who loves the polyphonic masses, I am not in favour of having them done except on the very rarest of occasions. There is Plenty of other polyphonic music which can better be used as anthems and motets to adorn the liturgy. Especially when on solemnities the choirs can be expected to embellish the liturgy with the choicest musical treasures at offertory, communion, descants, etc., the people should Not be relieved of the parts of the mass that belong to them. They should have been taught long ago a setting of the mass which is appropriately festive.
  • Friends,

Thanks so much for these wonderful comments about the Mass Setting in honor of St. Ralph Sherwin, Jesuit & Martyr. When I wrote it, I tried to make it as easy as possible for a congregation to sing. Our congregation sings it with gusto, although I don't use the Sanctus. I prefer the St. Anne Line Sanctus.

Just FYI, after the completion of the St. Edmund Campion Hymnal & Missal, I will be providing SATB parts and recordings to all the Masses I wrote for the Vatican II Hymnal.

You might be interested to know it is also being put into Dutch:

Please note:
    - it's still a rough draft and first attempt
    - we are still awaiting a new translation of the Roman Missal in Dutch
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • Forgive my confusion on two points!

Should I be reading between lines thus: A moderately simple [choral] setting by Jeff Ostrowski [of the Gloria from Paul Onnonhoaraton's congregational Mass in Honor of St. Sherwin]? Or, as it first seemed, is Paul an alter ego and the piece a one-movement missa brevis?

In either case a beautiful piece which would make me look forward to a Sanctus.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Paul === Jeff
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also, the Mass is a fully-written ordinary, chant based, in English, with organ accompaniment. The choral arrangement of the Gloria is newly released. The rest of the Mass is (so to speak) yesterday's (good) news.

Jeff has expressed he'd like to SATB the whole mass, which would immediately put it on the top of my short list for OT1 of 2013 (Season of Epiphany).
  • Richard, I apologize for the confusion. For several strong reasons that have recently surfaced, I no longer use my full name as my username on the forum, which, I am told, is "standard practice" on many forums.
  • Thanks Adam!

When I click on "Organ accompaniment", the first page of the pdf reads:

This packet contains 1. Organ accompaniments [as expected] 2. Vocalist scores, both Gregorian and 3. Modern 4. Congregational bookles [veel mazel met de Flamans!] (modern & Gregorian).

It might be worthwhile to relabel that button "complete Mass including Organ accompaniments".

The pamphlet sized square notes are much appreciated. I worry a little about the copyright date of 1973 for the texts, which can't be right, can it?

• Ah!

Can't one open a separate account for one's evil twin [maybe an especially good idea in my own case ;-)], or is user:Jeff_O really gone then?
    Looking forward to choral Sanctus!
  • Sounds like I need to look at this, but I am afraid it will be some time before I can make corrections. :-(
  • CharlesW
    Richard, I apologize for the confusion. For several strong reasons that have recently surfaced, I no longer use my full name as my username on the forum, which, I am told, is "standard practice" on many forums.

I knew it! NPM is after him! ;-)
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • chonakchonak
    It's fine to have a handle, folks, but please pick something pronounceable. I half suspect that even Jeff doesn't have a clear idea of how to pronounce his new one. (Where do you go to learn to pronounce Huron names from the 1600s?)

If you want to change your username, contact me to make the change.
  • TCJ
    TCJ works for me. Nobody could pronounce my real name. :D
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Jeff O., I'm curious if someday you might share what inspired your devotion to the Jesuit Martyrs of North America, after whom so many of your wonderful musical works are named.

As best I can tell from a quick Google search, Paul Onnonhoaraton was "a young man of about 25 years, of great courage, who laughed at death, being animated with the hope of a better life," and who 'offered himself as a sacrifice in place of St. Isaac Joques.'
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I used my real name, but most people mispronounce/misspell it: Griffen, Giffin, Griffin, Gifford, Griffith, Gibson, Gryphon, Gibbons, Gissen, Geffen, ...

Once upon a time, a Sears & Roebuck person taking an order thought the name was Griffin ... only she managed to substitute F for G and gg for ff in the spelling!!
    Thanked by 2Mark M. Salieri
  • GavinGavin
    Everyone calls me by my last name, since it's a common man's first name. Or the most common mispronunciation of my first name is usually "Gay-vin." Somehow, that was very common in grade school; the other kids juuuust couldn't seem to get it right!

I think it works for a user name. Anyone can hunt me down whatever my name is, but not specifying my last name (or precise location) is at least a small layer of security.
  • Jenny,

My parish uses the entire Sherwin Mass setting. It was the first setting we learned last Advent. I was concerned as well about the Gloria. When the parish was studying the new texts we made practice CD's available for them to take home. It worked! Right now we currently still sing the Sanctus, Mem. Acclm, and Agnus. I switched the Gloria at the beginning of the summer for other reasons but the congregation sang all of it well.

Two factors, I think, were key to the parish learning it. 1. My pastor really sang the Mass parts (esp. the Gloria) during Mass. 2. We had the practice CDs.

It is a nice setting, and probably the best (new one) that is out at the moment. It is somewhat tricky, but not terribly so. All the best to learning it.
  • AndrewK,

I would be interested to know if you share my strong belief:

It takes a lot of work to teach a congregation something new.

It must be done for a long time.

Then, take it away from them for a little while — rest it.

When you bring it back, they will sing with gusto !

I've had this experience many times with congregations. What's really cool is when (after you bring it back) people say about it, "Oh, I've sung this since I was a child." But, in reality, that is not true! But their mind tricks them into thinking it is true.

Settings like the St. Ralph Sherwin avoid what I have always considered to be the fatal flaw of Church music: "predictability" — but that is what will keep settings like the St. Sherwin interesting for years! :-)
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • I agree. While I haven't had that particular experience that you mention, I always found that when learning a new piece I always to put it away and "let it age" (as my organ professor would say) and nearly always would be more familiar.

The Sherwin setting is not predictable which, perhaps, is why it doesn't tire the singer. The movements go well together without mindlessly repeating the same musical ideas that can be found in other settings.
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • GavinGavin
    I think the key, PO, is a short rest. I once tried teaching a congregation the Latin chants, with intermittent breaks at the seasons. Each time I brought it back, I got numerous complaints, usually including, "We've NEVER done this before!!"

So I think a few weeks' break is ideal, though the concept is sound.
  • The Sherwin setting is not predictable which, perhaps, is why it doesn't tire the singer. The movements go well together without mindlessly repeating the same musical ideas that can be found in other settings.

Thanks !!!
  • From a director in California (who gives permission to reprint):

We had our first schola rehearsal tonight (Wednesday.) We read the Sherwin SATB through, paid heed to the phrasing, etc. The choir had not been prepped at all, in fact I never prep my choirs with recordings prior. All were enchanted. We read it a third time in SATB through, then to reinforce my strategy to have it chanted via melody only for four/five times, we chanted the melody. What I'd like to share is that the melody is incredibly intuitive, so motivic, verbatim repetition isn't really an issue.
  • Jeff O., I'm curious if someday you might share what inspired your devotion to the Jesuit Martyrs of North America, after whom so many of your wonderful musical works are named.

Yes, I hope to do this, my dear friend. God bless you!
    Thanked by 1Mark M.
  • Hey all,
    Thought I'd weigh in with my recent experience using Jeff/Paul's lovely mass for St. Anne Line. New job, tough parish - so went in with staff - organist & section leaders who also play violin and viola. We did meticulous preparation before introducing this mass: created lovely programs, re-organized the Gloria (temporarily) so that the congregation could sing the "Glory to God in the highest..." three times at key points - (yes we were very careful about this) : had the violin solo out the melody of the "Glory to God" w/organ for an intro. - & had the violin play the melody from the choir loft as we sang it; taught it for two Sundays and then after several weeks of teaching, we dropped the response and sang it straight through - just as written. It was beautiful.

However, it didn't work for my parish I'm very sorry to say. Forgive me Jeff/Paul - for I have sinned - albeit w/good intentions,

The Gloria became a flashpoint for a barrage of dissent (which was coming anyway.) But, even our stalwart supporters with very good taste demanded that I stop using it. Why? Not because it isn't lovely - because they became too frustrated trying to learn it from the pews. Let's face it - most people need the repetition of a melodic phrase to actually learn music by audiation. My original gut feeling was to use the St. Ralph - which I think is a bit more memorable. But - in retrospect, even that wouldn't have worked.

I'm now using the Missa Simplex - which seems to be working - but only the Gloria. Someday, I'll take the Anne Line off the shelf and use it again - but I'll wait before exposing this lovely mass to undeserved ridicule.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen