* A proposed rule for the group....
  • I propose a new rule:

A newbie is invited, if they wish, to post with an "*" at the beginning of the subject line.
    Any post with a * is to be treated by all with extreme kindness and a welcoming attitude.
    There are no stupid questions, but instead people who have no one to ask or follow.
    Anyone opposed?
  • WendiWendi
    I love this rule it would have spared me some pain when I first started posting here.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I think it is a good idea, but I don't think people will realize it is there, and will therefore fail to utilize it.

Many forums have a thing next to the poster's name with HOW MANY posts they have made, etc.

This would solve the problem automatically
  • BenBen
    I would live the idea of a number of posts listing next to the name. Some forums, like the Catholic Answers Forum (which I've skimmed very occasionally) list the following with each post:

-username (and pic)
    -post timestamp
    -a "rank" based on no. of posts and time since registration

The only problem with the * rule is that the newbies wouldn't know about it. I wonder if Chonak could put some of these in the header of each post?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    While we're at it, one thing I miss about the new format is the inability to put information into our profiles for others to see, such as was possible with the old software.

As to the point of treating newbies being treated with kindness, it seems to me that in all Christian charity we should treat everyone with kindness – even those (or especially those) with whom we happen to disagree at the moment.

Chuck
  • Well, yes. But reminders are helpful. Reminding us of charity for some is in no way a license to be jerks to others.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I agree that I don't know how well the star thing would be implemented. I think that having some post count next to names would solve the same thing, and yes, while we're at it, let's have the ability to add more info either next to our names or to our profiles.
  • Not too much detail. I rather admire the simplicity. No to post count. That inspires the obsessive in me.

What about a "Thanks" count? This would be a most adequate measure of community involvement and active, helpful presence on the list, wouldn't it?
  • CHG, how about a "Was this person treated with Christian Charity?" star rating system?
  • chonakchonak
    There is an optional "post count" feature which I am enabling as an experiment.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I've asked so many questions here, and I still do (even as a "charter member" of the Café, just about)… I might as well preface everything I write with asterisks. Lots of them.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Any chance on that "Thanks" count? "Thanks" is my favorite thing about this forum software.
    Thanked by 1IanW
  • I just noticed this week that you can "unthank" someone! I think that's hilarious.
    As far as more legislation versus less, I'm with Monty Python's Black Knight guarding the brook bridge passing: "NONE SHALL PASS!"
    That that has resulted in it being very difficult for me to get around, with newbies I'm good just calling it a draw.
    And when did Noel suddenly become a man of the people and nice? First time I met him in real time I could swear he said to me my mother was a hamster and my father smelt of elderberries! Now he's all weepy like Grampa Walton. I want the old Frogman back, y'know, the Walter Brennan, Real McCoy Frogman!

Oh, wow...I just noticed Chonak's tote board. Thanks RC, now everyone knows I have no life! Ooh, ooh.....neither do you!!! Niener, niener!
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • francis
    bag the asterick

think before you type

if in doubt
    save a draft
    wait a day

then
    read it again the next day
    nine times out of ten you will do the right thing

remember... charity sometimes means speaking the truth
    and sometimes the truth can be painful
    good pain is kindness on a deeper level
  • I just noticed this week that you can "unthank" someone! I think that's hilarious.

What's scary is that you were looking for this.
  • Francis, it's not so much a matter of thinking before you type...if I did that....well...

Instead it is a red flag warning people to be kind and not expect this new person to know that the subject that they are bringing up has been thrashed to death in earlier times and we are looking for new Tofu to beat up.

Last night at Ming Dynasty, my friends there were shocked that my wife makes me Chocolate Silk Pie with silken Tofu, since I'm contemporary catholic praise music and lactose and milk protein intolerant and have been forever. I promised them the pie and the recipe.

Take that, you plastic flowers at Mass people.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Frogman, since you asterisked this very thread, I'll say (very gently) that it would be simpler to be kind and welcoming as a default. The "*" would then be freed for the asbestos-wrapped trolls to identify themselves with. ;-)
  • TCJ
    Now why would we want to do the uncharitable thing of giving new posters false hope?
  • Richard, you contest things I say all the time, so let me let someone else speak to this:

"I love this rule it would have spared me some pain when I first started posting here."

I am sure that the welcome email could start with a *. And a get the heck out of here with a •.
  • CharlesW
    CA Charles, Frogman is what he is. It's no wonder that Mrs. Jones, a lovely lady by any definition, is referred to as the long-suffering Mrs. Jones. ;-)
  • Noel, hang onto to your kingdom, whether real or illusory. You should, of all people, know when I say "I just noticed....." that really meant I just noticed. Were I looking for it, I woudn't have been amused or commented on such. Doubt me, bring Diogenes to our next party.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • marajoymarajoy
    Sometimes I "thank" someone just so I can have the pleasure of "unthanking" them. (No, not really... but wouldn't that be fun?)
  • TCJ
    Now that we have the post count feature up, I predict an increase of posting across the board.

Also, I can't believe how few I have considering how much I like to talk!
  • francis
    noel

yea, i get your idea

i just think being truthful is more important than protecting feelings
  • So...how DO you un-thank someone, not that I am going to *just curious*
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Ruth, you can only unthank a person post if you have previously thanked that post. If you inadvertently thank someones post, you cannot unthank it until you leave the page and return to it;

Chuck
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Kathy
    Can you toggle the thank and unthank indefinitely? That could be fun as well.
  • I might just have to put an * next to my user name... easier that way :)
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Kathy
    My name already has an *. And a 3. The * is silent.
  • marajoymarajoy
    TCJ- yes, an increase in posts... and unfortunately, I suspect that most of them will be rather useless and less-than-helpful. (Like this one! :-P )
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • donr
    I just had to chime in to see how many post I've had
  • donr
    Ouch, I guess you guys better be nice to me.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Yeah, thank count, or maybe "date joined", would be a lot better ...
  • Ouch, I guess you guys better be nice to me.

*Not a snowball's chance, Don. You chose to enter. Consider MSF the liturgical Binion's World Series of Poker in the old Vegas Strip. Nice is for bridge players. Why do you think they compare liturgist musicians as less favorable and negotiable than terrorists? Hey, we have a rep to uphold. Word out. And we don't take American Express.
    Thanked by 2DougS Ruth Lapeyre
  • marajoymarajoy
    Well, now that I'm getting used to it, I, at least, am appreciative of the "posts" feature. As has been mentioned previously in this thread, I think it would also be very interesting to see "thanked" right next to that... then we can all see who is just a blabbermouth and who offers constructive comments a decent percentage of the time.... hahaha! ;-)
  • francis
    charles, noel and i are the big mouths, but we jumped in when this forum started and never stopped!
  • "who is just a blabbermouth"....I resemble that remark!
  • Francis, you are as always a gentleman (Noel, OTOH!!!).
    But I could type likely 60 handles (monikers) of those who'd disagree with you in sixty seconds. But your thought is kindly appreciated.
    I think Joy has done us a favor by inserting that designation into the equation here at MSF.
  • francis
    charles

you are saying there are plenty of other bigger mouths than you and me?! thats good. now i don't feel as hesitant about posting, thank you.
  • francis
    so noel. how about this for easing newbies into the fold?

1-10 posts: only warm, gushy and patronizing compliments
    11-20 posts: ask inviting questions
    21-50 posts: begin to present alternative thoughts
    51-100 posts: present challenging philosophies
    101-500 posts: enter into outright debates
    501 posts and up: show no mercy

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
    proverbs 27:17
    Thanked by 2Kathy donr
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Relatively new guy here. Everything is fine as is. Nothing ruins a forum faster than saddling it with well-intentioned tweaking.
  • CharlesW
    Everything is fine as is. Nothing ruins a forum faster than saddling it with well-intentioned tweaking.

Well-intentioned tweaking does sound like something a bunch of left-wing liberals would do, doesn't it? ;-)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>a bunch of left-wing liberals

hey!
    I object...

my tweaking is NEVER well-intentioned.
  • CharlesW
    I knew that! LOL.
  • Taking this little Route 66 of humor from the turnpike of forum federalism is most welcome. O, look...the TeePee Motel....ooh the Cadillac Ranch! Somebody get me a cheeseburger! (Sorry Wendi/Jenny)
  • Amicule, deliciae, num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
  • Vos? Non!
  • CharlesW
    Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
  • francis
    Thank you Scott.

Honesty (right from the getgo) is always the best (and only) policy. If you can't handle the tug of war here, don't grab the rope!

I don't mince my words, never will. I am a straight shooter. Sometimes with nerf darts, and other times fully armed.
  • chonakchonak
    Can you toggle the thank and unthank indefinitely? That could be fun as well.

Indecision is a terrible thing.

• francis
    Chonak

I can't thank you enough