Setting for Veni Creator Spiritus
  • hartleymartin
    I put together this setting for Veni Creator Spiritus. It basically uses the tune from Jesu Dulcis Memoria. I used the first Latin verse and then an English Translation for the rest. Not so much a "new work" as it is an adaption of existing works.

I needed this for the invocation of the Holy Spirit for an up-coming confirmation mass where my "schola" will be a scratch team put together on the day. The entire liturgy I had to pare back to the simplest essentials, but trying to maintain a sense of sacredness and noble simplicity rather than coming off as being minimalist. I think that this setting will be useful as something which is relatively simple, easily learned and maintains a traditional feel.

The traditional Latin text of the Veni, Creator Spiritus is readily sung to this same setting. I may put together another PDF which has the Latin setting together with the English.

As a matter of practicality, I doubled up the music so that only 4 lines of text is under each score. I generally find that 5 is the practical limit and this is a compromise only for ease of use.

What do you all think? If you think it is worth passing around, I'll edit the file and include all the proper credits and the creative commons permission.
  • I can see how it would work, but wonder at the use of a tune so closely tied to adoration with a Holy Spirit text.

Possibly you've got a reason why you are not using the traditional VC tune? I think it would just as easily learned?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    If you would like to use a simpler melody for the Veni Creator, why not consider Martin Luther's version? It keeps close to the original melody, but is syllabic which makes it more easy to sing. I only have a Dutch version to offer:
    465 x 270 - 32K
  • hartleymartin
    It has to be something that be sight-read on the day by beginners and is reasonably familiar.

I'll take a look into using Luther's tune shortly. I'll definitely try setting that tune for my collection of easy music for parish use.