Replacing the Entrance Chant with a Hymn at Catholic Mass (General Instruction)
  • chonakchonak
    despoiled
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    D sharp
    D natural
    D flat

and

D Major
    d minor

not to be confused with

D plus
    D minus
  • francis
    reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... Directed
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    CHGiffen

What's D point?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • dad29
    De Soto--for you superannuated car-commercial aficiandos.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Dindirindin
  • chonakchonak
    detestable, deleterious
    it's debated
    it's disordered
    it's de-worst
    it's de-Picardy
  • hartleymartin
    On the topic discussed in the film clip, I often use a Hymn in place of the Entrance Chant, but it is usually on the feast day of a saint, and I use a hymn to that particular saint, or often the general saint's hymn "By All Your Saints Still Striving". Where possible I try to use hymns or motets which have the same or similar texts for that day.

On a practical level, I often use the entrance hymn because I prepare these masses on days where I probably won't have a choir, or at best maybe one or two other people to help me cantor. Depending on the occasion I may have an offertory hymn, a motet or just organ music, sometimes using the chant music as the starting point for an improvisation. (These are usually week-day masses.)

At the Cathedral Church where I sing on Sundays, the long procession means that we can often have both the Entrance Chant and a Hymn. We always have a Communion Chant, followed by a hymn (again because communion takes a fair while) and we usually have a motet for the offertory.

In the future I might attach the mass leaflets I make to illustrate what I am up to.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau