Propers St Mary of the Cross Mackillop, August 8
  • hartleymartin
    I've been looking for resources regarding the mass propers for the solemnity of St Mary of the Cross Mackillop (solemnity in Australia, Feast in New Zealand)

I've come up to dead ends with everything thus far. Should I use the Antiphons from the missal and then add an appropriate psalm verse and glory-be, or is there another proceedure or resource which I have missed?

It is only made more pressing by the fact that St Mary of the Cross Mackillop is the Patron Saint of my diocese and there are zero resources for liturgies pertaining to her!
  • The commons! The common of holy men and women, section "for the women" in our unfailing friend, the Graduale Romanum, is on p. 525. But I am weary now, for it is night, and so if nobody beats me to it, tomorrow I shall give you the names of the options, by incipit and page in the GR.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Yes, the common for holy men and women is the correct place to go.
  • veromaryveromary
    Maternal Heart's pdf for the feast gives "vultum tuum" as the mass for the day. It's on p 1229 of the Liber Usualis as "II. Another Mass of a Virgin Not a Martyr". Not sure if that helps and not sure why they chose the second Mass instead of the first, but there you go.

And if you're stuck for a hymn there's this one.
  • hartleymartin
    I was rather hoping for something in the way of Propers in English, since I have been pushing the use of the SEP at my college. SEP does not seem to have the Commons of the Virgin Mary, Common of Pastors, Common of Saints, Common of Virgins, etc.
  • hartleymartin
    A link to the current Graduale Romanum would also be much appreciated.

I have used the Psalm setting from the New English Hymnal for the responsorial psalm. By divine providence the text for the antiphon fits the existing music.
  • Unfortunately, the current Graduale Romanum is under copyright until at least the year 2069.
  • BenBen
    @hartleymartin

Regarding SEP for proper of Saints, Aristotle Esguerra and I have the proper of time mostly completed, in the style of SEP (under the tentative name Ferial English Propers, FEP). You can find it on my website here:

http://blog.yankehome.com/projects/ferial-english-propers/

The proper of saints is next up. However, if anyone needs editions of the proper of time that are not yet completed, an edition with verses, or any proper from the proper of saints, feel free to PM me here or email me at my site.

It may take up to a week to fit it in and do it, so plan accordingly if you will need them, but I should be able to help you. It is a long term goal that these eventually be compiled into a printed book, like SEP, but that is certainly looking into the future, especially since once school starts up, I'll have even less time.
  • Ben, I think she might be looking for something from the commons. I'm sure you could whip one of those up, though!
  • veromaryveromary
    Would the Anglican gradual help?
    Plainchant Gradual Vol 3&4 (Burgess/Palmer) p56 has an English form of the Mass Dilexisti justitiam, Mass of a virgin not a martyr - Though hast loved righteousness.
  • BenBen
    I'm not clear on what you're looking for, but if you can give me incipits, I can post the completed english versions. In this case, I already have Dilexisti justitiam done, and I'll post it shortly.
  • BenBen
    Ant. GABC:
    (c4)YOur(h) love(gh) is(h) for(g) jus(h){tice};(h) (,) your(j) hat(j)red(i) for(g) e(hi){vil}.(h.) (;) There(h)fore(h) {God},(hg) your(f) {God},(g) (,) has(g) a(f)noint(ef)ed(e) you(e.) (::)

PDF with pointed verses can be found here.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    I didn't see the link above. Would you like me to set the propers found here to music? I might be able to do it tonight or tomorrow.
  • Here's the common for religious in the GR, along with feasts the same antiphons appear on in SEP.

IN.
    Ego autem sicut óliva (p. 424)
    Lætétur cor quæréntium Dóminum (p. 357) Ordinary Time IV and XXX
    Tibi dixit cor meum (p. 88) Transfiguration and Lent II
    Repleátur os meum (in Paschal time, p. 246)

GR.
    Beátus vir qui timet Dóminum (p. 475)
    Ecce quam bonum (p. 351)
    Unam pétii a Dómino (p. 358)
    Veníte, fílii, audíte me (p. 298)

AL.
    Dómine, diléxi decórum (p. 400)
    Iustus germinábit sicut lílium (p. 496)
    Iustus ut palma florébit (p. 516)
    O quam bonus et suávis (p. 517)
    Qui séquitur me (p. 480)

OF.
    Bonum est confitéri (p. 369) OT IV
    Desidérium ánimæ eius tribuísti (p. 518)
    Exspéctans exspectávi (p. 328) OT XXI

CO.
    Amen dico vobis: quod vos (p. 436)
    Beáti mundo corde (p. 514) OT IV, All Saints, and Nuptial Mass
    Gustáte et vidéte (p. 303) Sacred Heart and OT XIV
    Optimam partem (p. 507) OT XVI
    Qui vult veníre post me (p. 484) OT XII, XXII, and XXIV
    Símile est regnum cælórum (p. 519) OT XVII
  • hartleymartin
    The day is coming too soon for anything new to be written.

In Australia, August 8 is the Solemnity of St Mary of the Cross Mackillop.

Propers for her mass were once published online but are no longer available. The liturgy people in Australia are useless at the best of times. I often end up having to write adaptions. The responsorial Psalm I got out of the New English Hymnal, just changing the text of the antiphon (and simplifying the organ accompanument for it).

The SEP are a fantastic resource. Unfortunately their one shortcoming is the lack of the Commons of Saints, Pastors, Martyrs, etc which would make it a complete resource for the entire liturgical year.

I'm going to make use of a couple of Hymns (I'm not a 4-hymn sandwich type). I'm using "By All Your Saints Still Striving" and "From Penola's Plains". The Responsorial Psalm is Psalm 63. I will use the Kyrie and Agnus Dei from Mass of St Boniface (Wittal), the Gloria and Sanctus will be ICEL Plainchant and I will probably use John Stanley's Trumpet Voluntary in D (Orginal Manuals-Only Score) for the Postlude.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Feel free to use the hymn O Mother Mary of the Cross, which I composed in honor of St. Mary of the Cross MacKillop, using the text by Veronica Brandt (veromary).
  • veromaryveromary
    Sounds like a great line up, hartleymartin. The music for Penola's Plains is great fun to sing.

Is this at the Cathedral? Or Campion College? Sounds pretty amazing.

We'll be doing Mass 9, Credo 1 and probably psalm toned propers at this rate, with the Parramatta FSSP, either Mulgoa or Girraween. And O Mother Mary of the Cross, but to Rockingham (sorry CHGiffen).

Our sort of choir master is organist at his local parish and is doing a combination of SEP and Anglican Gradual and his own stuff. It's really cool to see all the chant ported over to English.
  • hartleymartin
    This is for the Midday Mass at Campion College.

I often try to make use of the SEP and/or Anglican Gradual when creating a program for music here, but the lack of the Commons for Pastors, Martyrs, Virgins, etc, the SEP leaves me with a rather frustrating gap in my music resources.

I won't have time to learn a new hymn setting for this time around, so I may have to leave O Mother Mary of the Cross for next year.

A typical program of music from me would use an Entrance Hymn, Motet for Offertory and SEP Chant Communion. I make use of a number of simple mass settings such as Mass of St Boniface, ICEL Chant Mass and Mass in Mi. I try to make use of the whole heritage of Catholic music. I refuse to dish up your average parish 4-hymn sandwich, and my general rule has been to use stuff that is either out of copyright or in the creative commons.

In other news, I've been working on an a general saints hymn with various alternative verses for different saints as an alternative to "By all your saints still striving", which I have found is still in copyright.
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • hartleymartin
    St Mary of the Cross Mackillop is particularly important to me, since I was at the Bishop's mass when it was announced that she was to be Patron of the Diocese of Parramatta.
    Thanked by 2veromary CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Hartley,

It looks like nothing will need to be written. Just look at Joseph's post. The three major propers are covered.
    Thanked by 1Joseph Mendes
  • hartleymartin
    I've figured out a method. The local Latin Mass community has published PDF mass leaflets for Mary Mackillop and I was able to use this to look up the incipits for the chants, and then refer to the index in the SEP to find them.

I've still got a fair bit to learn abuot liturgy. I don't know if it is the same case in the US, UK and other English-speaking countries, but here in Australia, if you want to do well as a church musician you practically have to train yourself as a liturgist, as chances are that the Parish or Chaplaincy you work for won't have one of the staff!

A bit too late for St Mary of the Cross Mackillop. I have already printed the mass booklets. I got around it by using processional and offertory hymns, and using an ad libitum communion chant. I'll be putting together a series of resources for these feast days.

I'll make use of this new knowledge to compile what I need for St Lawrence.
  • hartleymartin
    Update: I've figured out that I actually need to look at the Missal itself, since it is a Feast in Australia, and probably has it's own set of propers. Just like how St Patrick and St Francis Xavier have their own unique propers for Australia. (St Patrick is a Solemnity in Australia, and St FX is/was a patron saint of Australia).
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Yes, but the propers in the Missal for her feast in Australia may or may not exist in the corpus of chant. They may just be "spoken" propers. Since I'm in the US, I don't have an Australian Missal, so I couldn't tell you. If you post what the Australian Missal has, we can search to see if they correspond to chants in the Graduale.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    P.S. An example of it working out is Our Lady of Guadalupe here in the US. The Missal propers translate to Signum Magnum as the Introit (in the Graduale for Assumption), and Non fecit taliter (which is not in the Graduale, but exists in my Liber Usualis).