Musical Change In The Church
  • donr
    What is the main Goal:
    Sacred Music, in part, in every Catholic Church in the USA.

Before you can achieve success "change" you need to know what you are changing from:
    Find or create a list of all Churches in the US.
    Create a list of all DMs, CDs, and possibly organists, at least the main contact.
    Create a list of all Pastors
    Create a list of Diocese Music Department heads
    What church music programs are available in the state,

Then we need to:
    Recruit DMs, etc who are like minded that do not even know about CMAA.
    Design a learning blitz, (What is sacred music, what is the difference between sacred music, religious music and secular music)
    Send out two disciples to preach the good news about sacred music, armed with good materials.
    help existing schola's with our time and talents.
    encourage field trips to monistaries, cathedrals or ? That utilize sacred music so people can grasp the beauty.
    Design workshops and send flyers to all local churches for the Colloquium.

I have to say that if I wasn't looking for something different I would have never found CMAA. The only reason I found it is because I was searching for an old hymn and came across the Adoramus Bulletin. One of the articles mentioned CMAA so I looked it up.

We need to make it extremely easy to find exactly what your looking for. "Oh you need to know what song to play on Holy Thursday during washing of the feet? here are four great choices in Latin and two in English by the great composer guy or gal".

I like the Chant Cafe but it is a blog, maybe the addition of a Q&A.

I know all of this costs time, money and talent to put together. But if we don't start now I'll never see the change in my life time. Of course that doesn't matter as long as it changes.

When you have a huge chore like this you just need to nibble at it bit by bit until the goal is achieved.
  • "We need to make it extremely easy to find exactly what your looking for. "Oh you need to know what song to play on Holy Thursday during washing of the feet? here are four great choices in Latin and two in English by the great composer guy or gal"."

That's right. Of course, there would end up being two, three or more of these places that would pop up, and that would be ideal, since there are taste decisions involved and we should never, ever, be stuck as we were in the 1940's with a single black list and single white list. They were excellent in their ways, and due to the way things were disseminated then, all powerful.

Money is not the issue today, but creativity and time are, but on this group we have plenty of creativity.

The best thing about this is that if someone decided to go into this to make money, they'd fail because there is no money in this at this point...so this keeps the mercenaries out.
  • GavinGavin
    "This thread teeters precipitously upon the edge of insanity. I guess that makes me the 'cranky old man.' Fine."

Thank you, Charles. There was so much wrong with this thread from the beginning, so I'm glad to see someone tackling it. I'm currently in "SoCA", if you will, visiting family and watching the forum from my phone, so you'll have to do the good work.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Getting back to the point of the thread, CHGiffen, Francis, and Noel, as well as DonR, seem to understand the point. If there is a problem with the "3", why not move forward with a solution. Insanity? Was it insane when the big 3 started up? They didn't just start up big. They started small as all do, and worked there way up to where they are. Doesn't mean that CMAA members can't have something similiar, following the ideals and tones of what is desired in sacred music. Whether it becomes a big 4th or not, someplace to offer all this creative and liturgy appropriate music, wouldn't be a bad thing. What would be nice is as CHGiffen and Noel suggested, a place that is organized on the web, where we could locate things. JMO has done a terrific job with his site, especially with the Psalms. What about someplace for the propers? new masses? I do like Francis' idea of having something in print as well, especially for those that aren't internet savy. As for marketing, there are plenty on here, as I am sure, that would market it around town. Just a thought
  • donr
    Actually what is insanity is what my church does. We spend $4k every year on changing missals out every season change. If we could provide a similar service for 1/2 that, enough to cover admin expenses most parish would love that. They are always looking to save money on the budget like any other organization.

This is definitely doable so I say lets do it.
  • Michael and all friends here, nothing of what I said was meant to incite a temperament of negativity towards the notion of interested parties coming together to form yet another "hard copy publishing house" enterprise. So, I think my characterization of the atomic reaction of flying ideas and goals as maybe being poised towards "insanity" was not personal. But, if those who didn't get that would have had the opportunity to various other postings about this subject here at MSF and at Cafe, you'd understand why I don't see much of a future for an orthodox hard copy counterpart to the three initial houses. Or I could just say "Adoremus Hymnal."
    Here are some simple bullet points I've illustrated elsewhere.
    *Pulp missals were the most convenient and nominally temporary solution to the myriad and complex changes that were problematic between 1965-1970 with the Pauline Missal finally on scene.
    *Those "temporary" media evolved to "cash cow" status as different streams of composers sought to fill in the presumed void of suitable music for the unbridled vernacular usage. If one has myopia one would think of FEL and WLP tunesmiths Repp, Wise, Miffleton, Scholtes, Temple as the only game in town at the time. Nope, right next to them were Deiss, Westendorf, Peloquin, Hughes, Kraehenbuhl, Vermulst and plenty of credentialed composers. So, as repertoires from of old (Pius X, Basil, Gregory) were entombed, eventually the back pages of these monthly pulp magazines couldn't accomodate the burgeoning new industry of re-inventing Catholic music. Jubilate Deo never had a chance.
    *The natural inclination of publishers to mine deeper into creative coffers resulted in the first editions of WORSHIP and PEOPLES' MASS BOOK, but the appropriation of ecumenical hymnody was not exactly given an equal amount of respect from parish to parish in the early to mid-70's. The charismatic movement wedged their repertoire (from Ann Arbor, MI?) into the parish Sunday mix due to their popularity and verve in the parish halls on weeknight evenings. And, almost on cue from Horace Greeley, a man from out west name of Bruno, North American Liturgy Resources (NALR) bursts onto the scene in the wake of FEL and Franciscan publication collapses, with the Catholic equivilent of the Beatles, the Stones and Herman's Hermits- The Saint Louis Jesuits, the Damiens and Carey Landry. Soon the glossy bright cover of the first "Glory and Praise" semi-pulp songbooks sat alongside the hardcovers, and territories were being carved out and targeted.
    *Oot west too, further north, the smallish Oregon Catholic Press and Tract Society had started something that WLP/Paluch and GIA didn't think to hybridize: the yearly pulp hymnal, "Music Issue" inwhich they negotiated mostly with "composers" who affiliated themselves at first with one publisher over the others (that would soon disappear as well.) And their golden goose relationship eventually settled with NALR, so much so that at the time when NALR severed their relationship with OCP as they tried to corner and solidify their market share (all those copyright issues were nuts back then!) But NALR couldn't sustain or survive and OCP was the natural "white knight" and inheritor to much of the NALR top forty all time hits.
    *In Chicago, WLP experimented with its own versions of renewable hymnals alongside their hardbound standard ones, but their artist share was perceived as meager by comparison to OCP/NALR and GIA, who'd debuted the trio of Minnesotans, Joncas, Haugen and Haas in 78/79. "GATHER" was born. WORSHIP II (and later III and RITUALSONGS) were compiled as companion or alternatives to have side by side in pew pockets. (Ironically for this observer, the best GIA hymnal, LEAD ME, GUIDE ME, was relegated to the African American niche market, tho' it was chock full of goodies, including the new guys.)

At this juncture I'd like to reiterate that what began as a farily benign little idea born out of charity and convenience, the missalette, now was firmly ensconsed into the mindset and budgets of pretty much every parish in the USA and elsewhere. And what kept their successors, the hardbound or pulp hymnal, viable was the promise of new content as the new repertoires solidified and supposedly improved. And I don't think I really want to continue giving my version of events (not Ken Canedo's, btw.) because most of us are old enough to pick up the story.
    But I hope I've provided a glimpse of how the word "insanity" was deployed. Reaction, commerce, reaction by competing commerce, house artists and showcases in conventions and parishes throughout the year, reading sessions, eventual composer/artist free agency, market saturation to the point of glut and incoherency. And long about 1999 the Big Three discover "Life Teen" and the push was on big time in Pittsburgh of that summer. It now dominates the market share. But does anyone actually use this stuff that doesn't live in PhoenixTucsonAZ and Santa Monica/Ahaheim CA? I suspect so, but have no empirical knowledge of it as I fulfilled the last of Kesey's mandates, I dropped out in 2000 appropriately at the NPM Western regional Mass in Las Vegas when the samba line ushered in the Book of the Gospels to the strains (never was their more apt a term) of a catholic Praise Team!
    You can't make this stuff up. It happened, I was there and it was real. The whole schmeer.
    Now to the point of not-INSANITY.

CMAA is decidedly counter cultural because it adheres to a regimen of authenticity of philosophy and praxis. It, too, apparently has had its ups, downs and where are we goings. But the people running it have two things, at least, in common: 1. They have day jobs and aren't paid to run CMAA; 2. They aren't the least bit interested in producing product for commerce's sake. They are interested in guiding us toward content that is authentic, that is licit, that is legally available for distribution free of charge whenever possible, and that hopefully was sung by saints in ancestor churches over periods of hundreds of years, which would include the last 45.
    I'll conclude my insanity with the following questions?
    Who here has purchased copies of a colloquium program book for their choir? Assume my hand is raised with yours.
    Who here has purchased rights to e-publish Simple Choral Gradual by RR?
    Who here has purchased sets of Noel Jones' Anthologies for RCC Choirs or the Catholic Choir Book?
    Who here has purchased choir sets of Parish Book of Chants?
    Who here has purchased choir sets of the Simple English Propers?
    Who here has purchased has purchased choir sets of the new Rice Choral Communio's?
    Who here has purchased parish sets of the Vatican II Hymnal or....would if they could?
    Who has purchased the Oost Zinner Psalter, the CCW Psalter, or any of the CCW resources for choirs, directors, cantors, etc.?
    All of these and more are out there, as Noel said, available because LuLu fills a need that all of us could take advantage of in a meaningful way: the compilation of a parish/diocesan music book full of public domain, commons, and select copyright materials given authorization and local contributions from local composers, and that can be deemed licit by the local See and the USCCB according to their protocols.
  • (cont)
    And if one recollects, I've even contacted, ala Benedictgal, publishers such as OCP and spoken with select editorial content people about why they haven't considered and re-tooled their mindset towards capitalizing upon the idea of compiling the boutique hymnal such as I described in the paragraph directly above for nominal excess surcharge, and that would show flexibility and market maneuverability. Their response was lukewarm. I'm just ahead of my time, or cranky I suppose.....
    And maybe a bit insane.
    But not insane enough to want to reinvent the wheel currently known as the Industrial Liturgical Complex just because we're Ideologues R Us.
    All I need can pretty much be found and obtained on two web pages: Musica Sacra and Chuck's miraculous CPDL. If we go to a RCC LitmusicWiki, count me in. If you need an investor for a fourth three initial big house, you can use my stuff for free, if you want it.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I echo Charles' comments. I use CPDL, CCW, and many of the things found in this neighborhood. I do not use the big 3 for anything.Not interested in a number 4. I find my resources in these lands and my supplier of choral music not found at CPDL (my local choral music supplier or a name such as Pepper or Brodt.)
  • donr
    Ok, I that is great for you guys but there are a ton of churches out there who do use the big 3 that I think we want to have another option.
    I for one would like us to to promote sacred music. To it more the main stream than that old stuff that people use.
    I don' t know what the motto of CMAA is but I would assume it is to promote sacred music.
    How are we going to make sure the next generation of choristers will love the traditional music we love when the trend is in the other direction.
    We need to be the resource that starts the trend in the other direction.
    Even if we can not completely change it, it would be nice if it wasn't lost entirely.
  • VicVegaVicVega
    I have an honest question about FACP and another about reprint rights. Please don't kick/ban me.

"...Who here has purchased choir sets of Parish Book of Chants?
    Who here has purchased has purchased [sic] choir sets of the new Rice Choral Communio's?

1st question: Are parishioners (aka "pips") not to sing?

2nd question: If parish funds are an issue (and the "pips" do not sing) why cannot the DM just purchase one copy of these materials and print single copies "pro re nata" for the choir?

Thank you. In advance.
  • donr,
    I don't see a divergence of your goals as stated above from mine or anyone else who frequents here.
    What I'd appreciate is your perspective on how CMAA, as it's currently constituted and functioning, is somehow not sufficiently doing enough to turn the tide, one might say you're implying, and by the comments of others a whole new industrial, economically based enterprise will be more effective?
    I've only been involved with CMAA since '06, at the time believing after four decades no "guild" or association could influence the direction. But I've invested thens of thousands of dollars of my income, not church subsidies, traveling and learning and worshipping with incredible, world class scholars and believers at five colloquia and two chant intensive weeks, been blessed to have my wife "en fuego" for square notes because in CMAA I see no outside, commercial interest holding any sway or influence insofar as promoting product as an intrensic element attached to CMAA.
    CMAA is already, and continues to be the "resource that starts the trend," but not really a trend, donr, a permanent path back to sacrality that doesn't have commercial billboards lining its footholds on the Way. What were the only items Christ commanded his apostles to have on their person as they went out , two by two, to spread the gospel? A walking staff, sandals, etc. And what were they not to have on their person? Money or a charter of incorporation (tho' I don't think Our Lord specifically mentioned that one.) CMAA's doing just fine.

• Vic,
    First of all, welcome. I hope you understand the acronym PIP is in no way perjorative (People in pews) and is a benign abbreviation only. And your excerpted quotes aren't really directly associated with FACP, but I'm happy to clarify what I believe are the correct answers as prescribed by all the legislative and advisory documents since 1903.
    1. All the faithful, particularly the congregation are profoundly encouraged to sing. The motu proprio of Pius X makes that explicitly clear. St. Pio X's concern is that the Faithful's rightful role to actively participate had been subsumed by artistic "largesse" and excess, as I understand it.
    2. I'm not sure how exactly your premise is apropos or even valid (see #1.) There are plenteous resources where a DM can effect exactly what you describe, and many of those are totally gratis. They are mentioned in abundance in many threads and topics in this forum. St. James Press, Bensonarium, CanticaNova are just a few. CPDL is completely free. And the point of my long post, nearly everything on the CMAA website ("chant books" button) which include a vast resource of hymns in the public domain or new settings and texts that are "in the commons," aka- free to use with proper acknowledgments.
    There is nothing more uplifting to the soul of an entire assembly of worshippers taking up the liturgical moment in song together. Everyone.
    Blessings
  • Vic Vega, welcome!

"...Who here has purchased choir sets of Parish Book of Chants?
    Who here has purchased has purchased [sic] choir sets of the new Rice Choral Communio's?

1st question: Are parishioners (aka "pips") not to sing?

The people are to sing, but there is no reason for them to sing the Communion's nor the English Propers until they are already singing the Ordinary of the Mass. There are parishes that have purchased the Parish Book of Chants and the number is growing, that's the seed planted to get it all rolling.

Catholics will sing proportionate to how often they repeat what they are singing. In can guarantee that at you church the fullest singing is in sung responses, followed by anything that they sing week after week. Thus betting the Ordinary sung first and ingrained gets them going.

2nd question: If parish funds are an issue (and the "pips" do not sing) why cannot the DM just purchase one copy of these materials and print single copies "pro re nata" for the choir?

It is actually more affordable to buy the books, most have found. At the parish I was at the pastor accused me of spending all my time at his copy machine. Based upon the fact I was only there on weekdays at 5:30 before 7:00 rehearsal, having a real job so I could afford to do church work, weekly he passed me at the copy machine on the way to 6:00 Mass. Based on that I spent "all my time" copying music.

The DM is welcome to download these (and more) all FOR FREE to do just as you have suggested. But when you have a choir of 30, or as I did, 46, it became very expensive to copy....insert in a paged master document in InDesign so there would be a page number to refer to in the mass of music we were copying and doing, and then copying, punching, passing out and then passing out again the next week to those who missed the week or weeks before and had to have copies of everything....

It's a heck of a lot easier to buy the book and tell them to turn to page 32.

But it is important to note that most of the music found on and around thi ssite os absolutely legal to copy and share.
  • Heck, Charles in CenCa says it so much better than I can....thanks, Charles!
  • francis
    charles of cenca

you are .00001% of musicians who knows what sacred music is, and who spends his time devouring anything he can to know it and show it. the other 99.000099% haven't a clue. We have the knowledge, the grace, the creativity and the expertise to put sacred music BACK into the bossom of the church. i am also insane enough to think i can do it and tenacious enough to know i will. but this is not going to happen sitting on our duffs. we have to do what Jesus said: go into the world baptizing them. the church needs a wake up call to come back to truth and beauty. i am ready to buy my own printing press and start making "the next best pulp hymnal". its called hijacking... no, reclaiming what rightfully belongs to us. enough of the piddy paddy cakes about this thing. let's get down to business and start the press.
  • francis
    donr

you HAVE the right vision for the kind of people I need. Send me your CV! ...and anyone else who has the vision. those of you who don't want the big fourth, need not apply!
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • Thanks, Francis, and may the wind be always at our backs.
    For the record, Francis, you may recall that I completed an accounting of what our four merged parishes expend for our OCP budget alone for the upcoming liturgical year. It's in five digits, doubled. I convened the pastor and the administrator and we are marching to freedom from those presses with a progressive plan over the next 1.5 years. I know my duff is expansive, but if I can help our people better use their stewarship AND improve the iiturgical expression through unity, I think I'm using my sandals and staff wisely, eh?
    Short of hijacking our new bishop and co-opting him to let me be his butler at the next USCCB conference plenum so as to gain access to the agenda/sausage making process, is there anything else you want me to do?
  • Hi Charles In Cenca, I understood what you meant, and took nothing to heart about it, as I know your a stand up guy. With that said, I know where your coming from with regards to the worries of a "4th", and believe me that would concern me as well. My thought with that is, if someone does setup, in this case, it appears either Francis or Noel will be racing to frontlines on this, a big "4th", I would hope that it maintains the ideas of the CMAA, with regards to sacred music.

As I said in the first post, a lot of DM's don't have access or have never been exposed to this type of Sacred music, and because so many are frustrated, aggravated, and hurt by the companies that do exist, perhaps as a solution to these frustrations, which I am sure most of us have experienced, why not have either a way of disseminating these materials, whether it be via another company, or by some known location on the web.

I share DonR's experiences as well, with the $4,000 a yr purchases of materials. I experienced it all the way till I canceled it this last June. I also realize where DonR is coming, wanting to have other options available to come into align with Sacred music. It is because of this, that I believe francis' ideas of doing a simliar things as the big 3, but making it a 4th that concentrates on providing products that are within the ideas and values that CMAA promotes. That's all.

All in all guys, we are on the same team. We have to sit through endless music that perhaps the people will never sing. Why not have more options available. Don't we all love having different options available to us?

Again, I also support the ideas of Chuck Giffen, about setting up a "central" location to access all these beautiful works, that so many have labored to put together. For instance, I have noticed the files that Ryand puts out, accompanying the SEPs, but they are all spread out inside of countless other comments, which makes it easy to miss files.

I really truly hope that Francis and/or Noel can take their projects to full fruition, as well as Chuck. The legacy you would create, for a positive sacred music future, would be bountiful!
    Thanked by 1Charles in CenCA
  • VicVegaVicVega
    Thank you Messrs. in Cen Ca and Jones.

Thought regarding:
    ''... But when you have a choir of 30, or as I did, 46, it became very expensive to copy....insert in a paged master document in InDesign so there would be a page number to refer to in the mass of music we were copying and doing, and then copying, punching, passing out and then passing out again the next week to those who missed the week or weeks before and had to have copies of everything''....

Encourage Schola Cantorum accountability/organization/responsibility and save funds:

1. Provide new members with 1 ea. Triple Ring Binder and Hole Punch (from 99 cent or Dollar store).

2. A couple days prior to rehearsal, email each member PDF of selected hymns/chants to print, punch and place in binder...let them know they are expected to bring binder to every rehearsal.

Thanks Frogman: your generosity with Frog Press publications is a major time saver...your heart is in a right place!!

• GavinGavin
    Are we all just ignoring the existence of the Vatican II Hymnal, or what? I don't get what all this is about.
  • Moi, at 1:42pm:
    Who here has purchased parish sets of the Vatican II Hymnal or....would if they could?
    Got yer back, Gavin, go back to watchin' the stars in Hollywoodland.
  • chonakchonak
    I don't know how far it can succeed, Gavin: it's got great content, but the book design is unconventional in so many ways that I find it off-putting.
  • dad29
    aka "pips"

Where's Gladys Knight?
    Thanked by 1VicVega
  • GavinGavin
    I must have missed that. My general point is that Michael is bemoaning that there is no alternative to We Celebrate, Breaking Bread, or Worship, when there exists an alternative to these products in the Vatican II Hymnal. It has its ups and downs, but it is a comparable product. I don't see the need to create another multi-million-dollar behemoth in the liturgical-industrial complex to have a competing hymnal.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    You might also be interested to glance at what we are doing here:

I think you'll be pleased, although I have not been as successful as I had hoped in terms of getting more composers to sign on. Perhaps as time goes on, more will.
  • francis
    JO

You are the closest thing we have to the big 4th, but I am talking about the printing model used by the other three. They have honed it for decades. We simply pick it up and run. Typical church musicians need binders, missallettes, spiral bound psalm and propers (with organ and guitar accomps), CDs and more, all from a single catalogue. Here's why. Printed matter is always visible every time you walk into your office or the choir loft. Printed music sells more printed music. Imagine if WE put out a liturgical planning guide. It also makes us credible in the eyes of the public to be a publisher. The web is great, but I don't think it can be the main ave of distribution. I laud you for your fantastic efforts as I have done time and time again. Keep up the great work. I am hoping we all get in sync somehow with all of this. I know Adam is up to much the same thing also.
  • donr
    Charles In CenCA, my point was not that CMAA is not a great organization. I think it is awesome. My point is that if I was not looking for some older music I would never have known this site or any of the great talent on this forum ever existed. No one is getting the message out. I know that you all think the message is getting out but it is only getting out to like minded people.
    I am only suggesting a strategy to get the message out.
    The two by two comment is based on a grass roots effort. It was meant for each of us to determine what we have existing in our Diocese and/or states, grow that and do a marketing blitz. However before we do that we will need to have marketing tools, brochures, flyers, maybe a talented speaker to line up or whatever. We could advertise sacred music on EWTN and other local stations. I know the Colloquium was featured on EWTN and that is fantastic.

If we can provide an alternative to what the big 3 offer, even better.

Getting the word out can and should start out small and grow as we can, but we need a strategy a 1, 3, 5, 10 year plan. Maybe it all ready exists. Please let me know what it is so I can do my part in my home parish, diocese, state, and the rest of the US.

Once we start the ball in motion it will take off.

I do think CMAA is doing a great job.
  • In my humble opinion, ONLY when the seminaries and the clergy that come from them are fully well educated and in agreement on sacred music and the true understanding of the Church's documents on sacred music AND will obediently follow the Holy Father and the Church's rulings on Sacred Music with a right spirit, will a true conversion come about in churches in regards to sacred music.

All too often I have heard several fellow clergy and bishops' true opinions and comments (behind closed doors), on chant and polyphony and the people / organizations promoting it and it is NOT positive. The fact is this, for the most part; the vast majority of clergy have a poor understanding and appreciation for traditional sacred classical music and musicians due in part to their culturative education and formation.

Secondly, many either negatively and begrudgingly follow with disgruntled obedience or in actuality defiantly go against the Church's teachings on sacred music in favor of their own likes/dislikes and what they think their parishioners want based on their culture and the collection plate.

This, in my humble opinion, is the cold hard facts! Everything else is secondary. Case in point is the FSSP. They seem to strive in having a deep and meaningful well educated understand of sacred music and a right spirit to follow the Church's teaching with a proactive, cheerful and positive obedience.

I hope and pray that I have not offended anyone, but I call it like I see it.
  • donr,
    I thoroughly appreciate and "get" your enthusiasm for evangelizing what Francis called the .9998% of musicians serving the liturgy aware of the CMAA presence in the dialogue.
    I don't speak for, and am not an official of CMAA. I am an independent apologist for what CMAA has effected upon my career, witness and "ministry." And it is all good.
    I think what I've tried to articulate is that CMAA is already providing alternatives to other liturgical resources, however it does so also independently of any commercial interests, which is what differentiates it from AGO, ACDA, NPM, LAREC etc.
    Should Francis, Noel, yourself and thousands create a viable alternative that restores stability and coherence and cathlocity to our musical service to liturgy that proves a healthier evangelical presence in the world, we will all benefit.
    We must remember, though, we are servants to only one specific, albeit the source and summit experiential aspect of the HRCC. CMAA, to my knowledge, is very careful and prudential to not present any image of some sort of sacred music magisterium. And as I've also said numerous times, if one were to idealogically project the ultimate trajectory of the ultimate goal of CMAA, achievement of that would essentially make the need for CMAA obsolete as the major resources found in quires and pews would be authorized by the CDW and curia, in Latin, and the people of God would be of one mind and heart concerning the then clearly defined calendar and ritual attributes. Do I think that could happen? Sure. So I likewise believe the Parousia will happen, but I know we must keep vigil constantly in the meantime.
    As I said, as long as CMAA is primarily a marketplace for ideas, inspiration and information, and CMAA affiliated product (like CCW or RR or Kevin Allen produces) is deemed by CMAA Powers That Be to be in concert with our Church's well articulated worship culture, then we truly are on the same page.
    Blessings.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen donr
  • Okay, Gavin since you obviously failed to read my posts well before commenting, here goes.

Again, I am not advocating an entirely new product to VTII hymnal. If you would have read correctly sir, I am advocating a place to be able to pick up a book if you need one, for propers, entrance, offertories, communions. If you need more psalms than the ones you have. Let's face it, people do like variety, and why not have products that follow the similiar thoughts of the CMAA, among diverse and different composers. For instance, JMO has done a great job of putting up responsorial psalms, but not only his, but of many composers. My thoughts are having others that can put together there works, such as propers, ordinaries, motets, choral pieces, all with the CMAA ideas in mind.
    Having a location such as Francis suggests, where one can get all these things, makes sense. If you noted, DonR came here by coincidence, and only because he was looking for something else that referenced this place. Think of how many would and probably will never know what CMAA means, does, the ideas of Sacred music. Why not have something available to them that can say, look at this, and give them more than what is commercially available through other companies.

I stumbled on this site, much like DonR, out of coincidence as well. I found it because I was searching for something, and it referenced MusicaSacra. I had never even heard of CMAA before. When I found this place, I thought, wow,,,, awesome. It helped me renew and grow a more profound love for chanting, than I had before I came here. So why not give others the opportunity that you already have?
    Thanked by 1donr
  • Francis has obviously got the point. Thank you Francis!

If you want great change, you have to give them what they are accostumed to. Otherwise forget it, they will continue to order all those other resources, because they are easily available and ready to go.
  • For myself, this thread has run its course well. I believe that it is time to ponder the wisdom that Abbot Coel brought to the conversations, and that whatever side of the debate whether to have a commercial enterprise you're on, we can all agree to pray for the massive conversion of hearts and minds of our current and future clerics, because the Church cannot suffer much more internal division and not risk losing more credible witness to the world that she alone holds the Keys in toto, the principium locum representing the Logos, the Theotokos, and the traditions and beliefs given us by the Lord Himself. May all division cease.
    Thanked by 2ContraBombarde donr
  • benedictgal
    A huge part of the frustration down here is that OCP is firmly entrenched in our diocese and their products are almost exclusively used in just about every parish, with a small exception. Insofar as GIA is concerned, the original Red Worship book was solid and quite useful. Why GIA messed up Worship IV and made it almost unrecognizable in comparison to the first version is beyond me.

The other part of the frustration stems from a serious lack of Spanish-language sacred music. The Vatican II Hymnal is great, but, we are in desperate need of something similar in Spanish.

As Ben said in his initial reply, a big part of the problem with OCP is its inclusion of secular music in its books, such as the aforementioned, "Lean on Me". If "Spirit and Song" is marketed for use in the Liturgy, whether it's the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass or LoTH, why are including a secular pop song into the mix?

Abbot Coel has an excellent point. We won't see a real change until the seminarians and the priests are properly formed. I would add that the bishops, too, need to have some formation and not simply rely on "experts". They need to do a better job of looking through the stuff that the parishes in their dioceses use and start weeding out the chaff.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    MichaelM,

I'm not sure I have anything constructive to add to this conversation (at the moment, at least), except to note that your post has gotten an INSANE amount of responses in a very short time! Congrats!
  • I totally agree with you Benedictgal. We may or may not see real change until the seminaries are educating a new generation of priests, but in the mean time, we need to have things ready to go for when they are. Imagine this scenario. We train a dentist, doctor, policeman, of what have you, utilizing certain tools, giving them proper training, only to send them out, and they find they don't have those things readily available to execute their jobs. With that in mind, and totally standing with you, in your frustrations in both English and Spanish, we need to have the resources ready to go, to not have to worry about those others, and move forward in a great direction.

Resources readily available and easily located for all to see, not just those of us that are on here, but for those that don't know about this place, as well as the educational aspects. Clinics, Colloquiums that encompass more than just SLC. I understood your desire to have something closer to where you are at. I support that, and wish that it could be done all around. It would give us all a fighting chance. Without those tools though, we are going to continue to lament the same situation we are in.
    Thanked by 1donr
  • JMO, thanks. The real reason for this thread is this; most of us, but not all, probably do sit back and see no end in sight, myself included. After carefully watching some of the regular posts, I see that we are all in the same boat. We want to see changes made, yet, when we see others around us, continuing in the opposite direction, in churches all around us, we have to ask ourselves, why? Because they only have exposure to one thing. A thing that has grown easy, something that is readily there. As a few on here noted, many DMs are not full time. There was a time when I wasn't either. I had to work several jobs that would cater to allowing Sundays and Saturday afternoons free. There is no time to sit and read lots of musical documents, sadly, not enough time to read every reading all the time, and make selections in accordance to that. Working 2-3 jobs, to just allow for that one job we all enjoy, Music at Mass, it is easy to want to pick up a Lit planner and just pluck away a few of our favorites, instead of really putting forth an effort. I don't lay any blame on a part time DM, as I have, and surely, many here have had to do, is walk in those shoes. Job balancing, families, schooling, part time maybe paid church position.

What I advocate is basically similar to what you are on a path to do, but incorporating even more, in a sense such as Francis suggested. How about Lit planners from Sacred Music minded people, for not just us, but for many, along with the resources to go with it. Propers, Ordinaries, Educational Materials, all those things that one of those companies would provide, but utilizing the ideals and values the CMAA promotes. Those big guys are promoting not only their pulp books, but hardbounds, books for funerals, weddings, RCIA, and tons of other things that are constantly occupying our time. We need those resources. Why not have them more available for the people.

On a side note: I personally enjoy the VTII hymnal, as well as the psalms. I love the fact that you have them available for digital download, as I use digital devices for my music. With that said, I still purchased the hardbound/spiral bound copies of the books, like the accompaniment, and psalm books. One, I believe you guys should be fairly compensated for such hard work, two, I do like to have the printed materials available. In the near future, we will be purchasing a few more psalm books, as I want all the cantors to have their copies. It also allows me to show other friends these things, and get them hyped up on Sacred music, instead of the usual. Keep up the great work!
    Thanked by 2Ragueneau donr
  • benedictgal
    Of course, there should also be continuing education for priests and bishops. Attorneys, at least the ones down here in Texas, are required to take a certain amount of continuing education hours, per year. The same holds true for peace officers, physicians, dentists and, in some cases, teachers. Why can we not have the same requirement for priests and bishops?
  • CharlesW
    All too often I have heard several fellow clergy and bishops' true opinions and comments (behind closed doors), on chant and polyphony and the people / organizations promoting it and it is NOT positive.

The good Abbot is correct. We are not thought well of in many high places. Locally, I think we are tolerated because many in our camp have money and contribute generously. It has something to do with not killing the gift horse, or something similar.
  • francis
    Let's light the proverbial candle and stop bashing the darkness. (2nd verse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_yWyBjDEaU
  • I think we just need to wean the people off of the "Big 3". Right now in my parish we are about to change hymnals to Vatican II, but I've decided to keep my OCP reprint license and make a supplement of hymns to put in the pews. It's just a big psychological game. Vatican II hymnody will be sung, but the people will still know that "their" music is still available to them, even if it's never used. Anyways, just my two cents worth.
  • donr
    I have a hard cover copy of the Vatican II as well as the Organ and Choir books.
    I presented the humnal to the pastor as an alternative and proved to him that it would be better choice in TCO (total cost of ownership).
    His only problem with not purchasing the hymnal is that it did not contain the Spanish as the OCP "The Today's Missal" does. So again the church would have to purchase multipe copies of books.

There are a lot of good comments on this thread. I hope we keep the ball rolling.
  • Having served as cantor and/or choir member in a dozen parishes, DoM in two 'normal' parishes, and now DoM in a diocesan parish run by the FSSP, I also have come to the conclusion that the abbot has, above.

While I do my best to reclaim and promote sacred music, the real change that needs to happen *first* is in our seminaries and in the hearts of our priests. Sung liturgy is anchored in and made stable through our sacred ministers. They lead. And when their liturgical formation is... lacking, what do they know besides the glossy fliers in their mailbox and the stuff other parishes are doing?

We musicians can be busy with projects- we should be busy. But I have a hunch that our most fruitful efforts may lie in prayer and *sacrifice* for our current and future clergy. When every minute I spend prepping rehearsal, reading books on chant, giving voice lessons to priests and deacons, or commenting on this forum is matched with minutes in fervent prayer for our sems and priests, then I will consider myself productive.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    On second thought, I do have something to add.

On Sunday night, I spoke to a Transitional Deacon I've known for years.

This fellow NEVER complains: never, never, never.

But on Sunday night he could not contain himself, and was lamenting the horrible music at his parish (he's assigned to a parish in the summer). The psalms were "goofy and completely unsingable." The songs at Sunday Mass were "ridiculous, and seeing grown men forced to sing these silly and effeminate melodies and trite words was enough to me throw up." (his words)

There is a hunger out there for something (anything?) better. I truly believe this.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Time to aim an auto-fire rifle at some sacred cows.
    IF a "4th" is to compete with the Big 3, it has to be a commercial operation, in all senses of the word. The big 3 has shown that even the notoriously cheap Catholic Church will pay for music. The only question is whether it will pay for our type of music.

One part of "commercial" involves paying composers, and defending their copyrights. I am convinced that intellectual property is not property, in any coherent understanding of the term "property". So? We in the US live under a constitutional regime that explicitly authorizes a mercantilist model of compensating creators. I think that the extensions of copyright law since then have been bad for music as a whole, but if Disney goes rent-seeking, I don't think it's immoral to ride on their coattails. The parallel with spreading the Gospel does not apply here because, in fact, there are vast resources of free, PD/CC sacred music; DMs don't NEED us in order to do what the Church asks of them. What people will be paying for (besides my specific music, or Kevin's or Richard's or whoever else who wants to play) is merchandising, product delivery, convenient physical copies, curation ...in short, selling a service. That service could well include new editions of PD works.

Now, launching such a business in the present economic climate is another thing altogether. Starting small will not do it, as you'll only attract the intensely curious who would seek out the free things anyway. Yes, the Big 3 did it that way, but they had history on their side. The 4th has to be as unavoidable as the big 3. Plus one would have to break the inertia of "we're an OCP parish", so it would require even more persuasion, on top of unassailably good and useful product, constantly flowing to meet any big-3 market shift toward traditional music. So we'd need somebody with huge capital, and a huger track history of creating a successful business. On one level, it really has to be "all about the money". And the community discomfort with that stems, I believe, from Marxist-inspired misreadings of the social teaching of the Church. The workman is worthy of his hire, guys. I don't begrudge anyone (not even the big 3) the money that they make, even if they make it from crap...because, guess what, they aren't forcing any DM in the country to do their stuff. I want to see sacred music composers, editors, publicists, etc...everyone involved... make a family wage. Can it happen? I dunno, but it's worth thinking about.

Thanked by 2E_A_Fulhorst kevinf
  • francis
    Jeffrey Quick said:

What people will be paying for (besides my specific music, or Kevin's or Richard's or whoever else who wants to play) is merchandising, product delivery, convenient physical copies, curation ...in short, selling a service. That service could well include new editions of PD works.

You hit the nail on the head. We are not doing this to MAKE money, we are doing this because it is our passion, we believe in it, we are totally devoted to it while at the same time we have to feed our families and pay the bills. There is nothing wrong with being commercial. The PRINCIPLE is what has to drive the mission. Money will follow ministry. And I think it is entirely possible, BTW to keep our music in the PD at the same time that we publish it in a commercial format. Why? Because church musicians and parishes WANT AND NEED TO BUY A PROGRAM. That is the commodity we will deliver. Anyone who wants the music for free, well, like we all do now, HAVE AT IT! They will still want to buy the paper. (comprehensive program)
  • donr
    The. Problem as I see it is education.
    If you build the fourth and no one cares you lost tons of money.

When I stated, "start small", what I mean is expand the great work of CMAA, by organizing, educating, creating a business plan. Then and only then will we be able to sit down with a funding entity (there are many out there). These funding entities only take calculated risks, we will need to prove an ROI (return on investment).

We need first things first. We need to create a want and a desire for sacred music. After we create that desire or in conjention with it we need to start to work on the above.
    This not a if you build it they will come senerio. It would like be the same as putting a gas station in the middle of the desert, the only way it makes sence is if you have advanced knoweldge of a freeway coming that way.
  • chonakchonak
    One good thing about the impulse to make money is that it motivates the entrepreneur to serve the customer in additional ways.

That could mean offering choir folios, a "pastoral resources" magazine (or these days, a website), sample recordings, etc.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Claire H
    Many good points have been expressed in this thread. I think that MichaelM's general point is valuable. Continuing to beat "the big 3" - and especially writing them off as totally beneath us, which is a vibe I definitely get around here at times - can become turnoff, particularly to newcomers. Just because 50 or 75 or even 90 percent of someone/something/some publisher is distasteful to us doesn't mean we shouldn't objectively acknowledge the 10 percent of goodness. (I have to remind myself of this constantly with people, too...just because someone may seem nearly completely disagreeable means I need to carefully look for and even be grateful for the good qualities they do have. Otherwise it can be quite easy to pridefully "write off" someone completely).

We can always choose to place more emphasis on the negative side of something (in this case, the widespreadness of cheap, less-than-sacred music used in Liturgy), or to put greater focus on the positive side (the abundance of noble, sacred music from past and present composers, and whatever small successes or baby steps are being made to restore this beauty).

Freshness, authenticity, patience, excitement, vigor, and contagious, properly-directed enthusiasm...this is what will "win" hearts and minds. We can't sugarcoat ugliness or disorder, but we also should discern how much to spotlight it. We all need to vent at times, yet too much of that can drag us down and diminish our fruitfulness.

...after all, "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". :)

• kevinfkevinf
    In my part of the world, there are several of us in this diocese who say to people "Its not that the big 3 are bad, we just want to show you another possibility." New resources coupled with low cost have intrigued a number of parishes to investigate the resources of CMAA and the composers in our midst. In the Ky. holyland, hearts are making changes, not based on vitriol, but with excitement and connection to the tradition.
    My.02.