USCCB Secretariat of Divine Worship responds to Question about General Instruction of Roman Missal
  • Liam
    That adaptation, approved by Rome, is for the dioceses of the United States.
  • CharlesW wrote: Hilgartner is basically saying, get a life you nitpickers with too much time on your hands. I'm understaffed and overworked and this is far beyond what I can handle. Give the guy a break.

CharlesW, what you say is not correct. Please see this aticle:
    USCCB Secretariat of Divine Worship says no approval needed: "Tacit approval" for all

I have spent several days carefully reading what the USSCB Committee on Divine Worship has to say. This section of the website was composed by Monsignor Hilgartner's office (most likely him personally, and then reviewed by the Committee).

On their website, they make all kinds of demands, including looking at every single "participation aid" that is printed in the United States in advance. If you doubt what I am saying, see PAGE 6. The General Instruction of the Roman Missal (which his committee approves) also makes demands.

Bottom line: they cannot have it both ways. They say one thing publicly and in their documents, but when push comes to shove, they say, "I'm overworked, therefore everything has tacit approval, whether written by a Buddhist, Protestant, it makes no difference." There's an old saying, "You cannot eat your cake and have it, too." Why does the USCCB demand that they approve "participation aids" in advance for every church in the USA?
  • CharlesW
    So if you know what you are supposed to do, why all the hair-splitting? Do what you know is right. Don't look to the good Monsignor or the USCCB for approval on every little item. It isn't going to happen, and even if it did, who would enforce it with those hard-headed musicians who think they can do as they please?
  • God. Ultimate enforcer. I'm sure Francis will agree with me.

• francis
    Find the rules and follow them... otherwise you will be an 'unruly' person.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Find the rules in curial documents and....wait Francis, I've been zapped inert by the curial stun gun, I can't.....seem.....to......move......very.....easily. Wait a second.

Oh, it was all a dream, I'm back at Walden Pond, propped up against a maple, being unruly.
  • Is there a paint-ball plugin for Vanilla Forums that Chonak could activate?
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • chonakchonak
    That's on my to-do list, right after the feature for automatically posting a daily cat video.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • francis
    charles... i'm still working on the ten commandments.

ka-plooooeeeee! ka-ploooooeeeee!

curial documents won't cure anything.

what really matters is who 'rules' your heart

• Maybe we should write to the new CDW liturgical music office.