Performance Music in Church
  • donr
    Frogman,

I like what you are saying. Makes total sense.
    Only one flaw in your position. No one not one person in my church understands Latin. So are you saying that I should not do any Latin chants until I can teach some Latin.
  • Even in a schola, the rubrics state that the incipit is to be sung by at least two voices, with others joining in at the asterisk.

To correct this, actually the rubrics (1961 LU) say, "On Ferias and Simples the Intonation is to be sung by one cantor as far as the sign *: on other Feasts and Sundays, there should be two cantors: but on Solemn Feasts there should be four, if as many as four are available."
  • FNJ is right.... and he is wrong, too.
    I think that to suggest that chant and our beloved polyphony are the only music which is a servant of the word is a very highly subjective and really not objectively tenable proposition. Would he deny us the masterful wedding of text and words by such as Howells? Vaughan Williams? Britten? et al.? There is even Handel which stirs the soul with its treatment of text (the melody of 'Comfort ye', for instance, goes begging for sense without its words, as does quite a bit of chant). Actually, I too would like to legislate a few (inevitably subjective) criteria for liturgical music; but, I fear that I might inadverantly disqualify a gifted composer who had thought of some marvelous things that I hadn't. I hear them every day from English cathedrals.
    And, it is more than a little bit bold to trot out the old 2's and 3's theory as if it were uncontested dogma. One will never find mention of it in journals of the Plainsong and Mediaeval Music Society.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • donr
    I actually agree with Frogman.
  • hartleymartin
    The music is there to serve the liturgy. If you don't understand this, then you're never going to be a good church musician.
  • donr
    Ah, so that's the rub. People that are "performing" theatrically in church are doing it because they feel they are serving the Liturgy more than we are because their music and style are more uplifting, full of the Holy Spirit. They say that I am the one who is trying to stifle the Spirit by playing, "performing" boring old person (forgotten) music.

The reason for this thread was to figure out who to explain to them what the church has to say about the matter. I think its been covered unless someone has more ideas to share.
  • "Would he deny us the masterful wedding of text and words by such as Howells? Vaughan Williams? Britten? et al.? There is even Handel which stirs the soul with its treatment of text (the melody of 'Comfort ye', for instance, goes begging for sense without its words, as does quite a bit of chant)."

You have totally missed the point, based upon your criticism of what I have said. Chant and much of polyphony puts the words first. The rhythms of the music are built to emphasize the text.

"masterful wedding of text and words by such as Howells? Vaughan Williams? Britten? et al.?" is proof that these are great liturgical music.

I've never said a church should only sing chant and polyphony, only that the church shoudl only permit music which is liturgy-appropriate in the wedding of words and music,.

Donr, there are wonderful chant settings in English. My book (apologies for the ad) If You Can Sing Joy To The World....has only English language gregorian chants for just the situation you are describing. And all the teaching sung files are sung by the masterful Matthew Curtis....listen to the audio files (ALL FREE) to him singing Hosanna, to the Son of David and tell me that your congregation would not love to hear and your choir want to sing that!

It is easier, I think, to teach chanting and latin separately in many situations. Get them chanting, let them hear latin and they themselves will begin to express an interest.

Go to www.thecatholicchoirbook.com for the free download of the IF YOU CAN book and audio and teaching video which runs on iPad and others. See CHANT SCHOOL.

• Jackson, one doesn't have to "get" FNJ's persona in order to see the fuller implications within his statements, of course he would discern which works after c.1700 would make the "Sacred Treasury" cut. One of the interesting yet obvious aspects of the concept (not era) called "the Golden Age of Polyphony" is that even when Palestrina, Victoria and Lassus were king, independent voice part writing peacefully coexisted with early homophony even within one composer's catalog. It's also not a stretch to suggest that composers "schooled" in modality still pushed the emergence of tonality quite prior to the 17c., i.e. Tallis "If ye love me." When does it really not hover around the tonic? Ergo, polyphony as viewed around 1903 lacks our current perspective. The main touchstone remains "chant" based. When moving to the kissin' cousin, polyphony the first criterion should simply be the two word dictionary definition. YMMV.
  • Mark P.
    Monsignor Francis P. Schmitt, the former director of music at Boys Town and editor of Caecilia, observed how masses from the Viennese orchestral tradition (Haydn, Mozart, etc.) conveyed the words in a much clearer, more declarative manner than 16th-century polyphony.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    imho the classical era of music does not lend itself as well to the service of sacred music as does the 16th century style
  • Francis and Mark, I am sensitive to both your points and sympathetic to Francis'. But one has to allow that the "peepstones" through which we view past practice and valued opinion have improved and brought issues into sharper focus.
    The same inquiry of "classical Masses" could be levied upon the Vierne Mass heard at SLC under Horst, but was immediately mitigated upon the first strains of the Kyrie and through to the Agnus Dei (which almost was a skosh too romantic, but didn't rip the veil). Again, our minds must remain open so that the unexpected graces can have access to the soul.
  • francis
    charles

my mind has always been open and continues to be. but after 57 years of an open mind, heart and soul, it is becoming increasingly clearer what is more pure and what is not. you can take it or leave it, but that is becoming more and more my position. i have performed a lot of mozart in my lifetime. while i like a little of it and others like it more, as far as sacred music for the mass goes, there is a wealth of music that is more fitting.
  • francis
    charles

not sure i heard the same kyrie as you mentioned above,(found it on youtube) but pieces like that might be appropriate for very large scale solemn events, although to me, they really border on being concert pieces. length is a big determinate in my mind, then continuity of form as it relalates to and supports the text and liturgical action. at some point in the complex fabric of a work the balance tips toward the music and less toward the text. that, i believe, is where restraint in harmonic development, change of mood and dynamics needs to be approached with great skill as a composer of sacred music for the liturgy.

we have seen many solemn liturgies where the focus is volleyed from altar to choirloft almost seeming like one stops for a moment in deference to the other. music should always serve the text and action and not 'steal the altar'. tis a difficult and very delicate balance, and oftentimes the drive of musical creativity can overstep that fine line.
  • That is the teeter totter, those Masses by Mozart and such which are sublimely beautiful, but I can't help but see the Archbishop sitting there smiling, wishing he had a glass of brandy in one hand and a cigar, also trying to resist crossing leg over knee and beating tempo ever so slightly with his foot.

Yet they do provide moments of religiosity.

These Masses are the refuge of Catholics who love music and singing and directing, but have not had the chance to be exposed to chant and polyphony, things often mentioned and passed on in music history class.

Someone needs to do a syllabus for an online course, with youtube links, for a history of Catholic and Anglican church music, ignoring all others.

Beyond my abilities, but there must be someone out there with an academic background, possibly someone with a qiurky ability....no, no, someone nabed Quirk? Is there such a creature?
  • Francis, there are many among the CMAA membership with whom I've celebrated our raison d'etres at colloquia who would attest to my skepticism regarding performance Masses, not the least of which is Dr. Mahrt! And, if memory serves, he wrote a compelling essay defense of their value in SACRED MUSIC.
    In this case, my very learned friend, the Vierne convinced this skeptic of the concept of "Being There." That is simply THE factor which cannot be imparted via YouTube or by all the eloquent critiques or analyses in prose for all the gold in the world. Heck, I remember my first exposure to WAM's REQUIEM, which IIRC was the broadcast of the (TLM) low Mass said by Cushing. I physically wasn't there as a 12 y.o. boy, but my BEING was THERE, thus the sacrality of that occasion is burned upon my heart. (I wasn't a church raised boy, btw.)
    Now, 50 years later or so, I am no longer bound by didactic or dogmatic dictums to tell me whether whatever moment I've just experienced was sacrmentally authentic. YMMV
    Thanked by 1DougS
  • DougS
    Charles, not to mention that figures like Michael Haydn were instrumental (nyuk) in bringing about church music reform in the 19th century--yet still wrote liturgical music, even propers, in a quasi-operatic or otherwise "Classical" style.

But who has time in music history class to learn about Michael Haydn?
  • francis
    I am not bound by dictums either, Charles. I have had numerous encounters with the sublimety of 'sacred music' such as you... hardly any of them were during the liturgy, unfortunately. One of them was my first hearing the MTC performance of The Messiah on a record player when I was about 20. Will never be the same and will never forget it. Another was singing a Bach Cantata in college on a stage.

Music perfectly married to liturgy? Perhaps at the one colloquium I was fortunate enough to attend back in 2005. I told them it was like seven days in musical heaven on earth.

Otherwise "great music AT a liturgy" is most of what I have heard in my lifetime as opposed to the ideal of "true liturgical music". May have to wait for heaven, I guess.

Mozart and the classics are just too earthy and seem to express humanity more than the
    mystical and ethereal that my soul craves.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Done the Mozart Coronation Mass several times at my parish, big feast days like Christmas and Easter. Many in the congregation adore it and exclaim that the music makes them feel closer to God, I guess it is an "uplift my spirit" kind of thing.
  • Frogman!

These Masses are the refuge of Catholics who love music and singing and directing, but have not had the chance to be exposed to chant and polyphony, things often mentioned and passed on in music history class.

Really? I know of numerous churches where orchestra Masses, even Mozart and Haydn go hand in hand with beautiful GC propers.
    Thanked by 1Mark P.
  • Mark P.
    Ruth,

That is exactly my experience! Orchestral masses being performed with beautiful Gregorian chant and motets from the 16th century. Not to mention glorious organ music. We can have it all and be authentically Catholic!