Midwinter Chant & Polyphony Symposium
  • OlbashOlbash
    The dates for the Midwinter Chant and Polyphony Symposium at St. Peter's Church in Columbia, S.C., have been announced: January 18-19, 2009. I will be leading the chants, while Mark Husey will lead the polyphony. The event is being sponsored by the Greater Columbia Chapter of the American Guild of Organists, who have asked us to make the event relevant to both Catholic and non-Catholic musicians. If there is enough interest, I'm considering adding a day to address the needs of Roman Catholic musicians. If you're interested in this event, please contact MARK HUSEY at aol dot com, and he will add you to the mailing list.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Is this a new conference? An annual event? Did you want this on the MusicaSacra calender? Do you have an email registration system? Did you want one set up on MusicaSacra? Is there a fee? Do you have a site? Will you use PBC or something else?

Also, what does it mean to make the even "relevant" to non-Catholics? I'm not sure I understand in what sense chant and polyphony would otherwise only be relevant to Catholics. Can you explain this? Does it mean that of course non-Catholics are welcome? Or does it mean that you need to have also secular polyphonic music? Chant with non-Catholic or non-Christian words? Must you also cover the uses of chant outside Catholic liturgy or outside Christian liturgy in general?

Further, what does sponsorship in this case entail? Does it mean that the AGO accepts the financial liability and also revenue? How does this work?
  • OlbashOlbash
    Not being "the guy in charge," I'm not sure I can answer *all* of these questions, but here's a start:

"Is this a new conference?"
    Yes.

"An annual event?"
    Well, it's our first try. I always cringe when I see things advertised as "The First Annual..." I think that the intent isfor this to be an annual event, yes.

"Did you want this on the MusicaSacra calender?"
    Sure!

"Do you have an email registration system?"
    No, not yet.

"Did you want one set up on MusicaSacra?"
    Let me check with Mark Husey, Le Grand Frommage.

"Is there a fee?"
    Not sure. Probably just materials.

"Do you have a site?"
    Yes. Husey's church, St. Peter's in Columbia, has wonderful facilities. I'm going down in a couple of weeks to check it out.

"Will you use PBC or something else?"
    I ws planning on doing a photocopied packet, but now that you mention it, PBC would be a GREAT match!!!

"Also, what does it mean to make the even "relevant" to non-Catholics? I'm not sure I understand in what sense chant and polyphony would otherwise only be relevant to Catholics. Can you explain this? Does it mean that of course non-Catholics are welcome? Or does it mean that you need to have also secular polyphonic music? Chant with non-Catholic or non-Christian words? Must you also cover the uses of chant outside Catholic liturgy or outside Christian liturgy in general?"
    There will not be any secular music, nor will there be any non-Christian music. I guess, what I meant to say was, that non-Catholics are of course welcome. I think Mark and I will also try not to assume that attendees are familiar with RC lingo, and we'll avoid getting too far into discussions of specific use in the Catholic liturgy. There will be at least one Mass during the symposium, but the rest of the liturgies will be LoH.

Further, what does sponsorship in this case entail? Does it mean that the AGO accepts the financial liability and also revenue? How does this work?
    I think that it's a "sponsored in part" sort of deal, where the AGO chapter sends Husey a big check and says "have fun." From an organizational standpoint, everything will be managed by Husey at St. Peter's.

I'll contact him immediately and try to get more information.

Cecilia Schola | MusicaSacra
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Thank you for all this. Just one clarification: by site I mean website. You will certainly need to have a webspace and an email registration form such as MusicaSacra offers for free (of course donations are accepted).

I would also suggest that anyone putting together a workshop read (and follow) Arlene's memo on this. These are rewarding and fantastic but far harder to do right than people might suspect. It is worth it to put in the extra time to make sure that all goes very well. Sometimes we have only one chance with people.

Please let us know as you gather more information, so this can be publicized etc.
  • Regarding the question of non-Catholics participating in a chant-and-polyphony symposium, I can't think of a better avenue for evangelism! A great many high-church and/or serious-minded Protestants are drawn to authentic Catholic music and sing it in their choirs and congregations--in many places more often and better rendered than in the average Catholic parish nextdoor. To experience a Catholic parish and Catholic musicians embracing the Church's own, authentic music will definitely draw people toward the faith.